PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Brandon Webb

jaysfan4ever
09-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Brandon Webb is a free agent sleeper this offseason
by Eli Greenspan on Aug 30, 2010 10:41 AM EDT 0 comments

More photos Ed Andrieski - AP
Once considered the ace of the franchise, starting pitcher Brandon Webb is inching closer to a return with the team he hasn't made an appearance for since April of 2009. Webb threw a side session on Sunday and reported normal soreness in his throwing shoulder today, all positive signs.

Webb, who owns a career 3.27 ERA over six professional seasons (seven, if you include '09), is also set to be a free agent following this season. Teams will certainly be lining up for the once All-Star pitcher, possibly with a small bidding war taking place. Webb conjured up the generic "free agent jargon" that many free agents when being asked about their future:

"My wife and kids like it here," he said. "A lot of people move around. You just go somewhere else and find new homes. That's just the way the game is. You can't expect to stay in one place your whole career. If you do, it's great."

It is hard to believe that the current state of the Diamondbacks could lure a potential Cy Young winner away from joining the St. Louis Cardinals or Philadelphia Phillies. I fully expect to see the Red Sox, Yankees, and Rays all see what it would take to land the prized pitcher.

It will be a very interesting offseason.

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2010/8/30/1658342/brandon-webb-is-a-free-agent

Would you guys go after Webb in the offseason?

JaysFan87
09-01-2010, 12:29 AM
nope....I dont understand why people want to spend money on high risk/ high reward pitches in the FA market when the blue jays have low risk/high reward pitchers in their system. It just makes no sense to me.

StealingSigns
09-01-2010, 12:32 AM
If it is a reasonable contract, of course. I doubt he gets anything less than the usual outrageous ovepayment the Yankees enjoy giving out every off season when they are filling up their cookie jar.

adid727
09-01-2010, 12:38 AM
this team is not one piece away from contending so no thanks.

jaysfan4ever
09-01-2010, 12:39 AM
nope....I dont understand why people want to spend money on high risk/ high reward pitches in the FA market when the blue jays have low risk/high reward pitchers in their system. It just makes no sense to me.

When your payroll is $50M and Rogers is getting a huge profit, why not spend the cash to get a player who COULD be key to competing with the Sox, Yanks and Rays. AA said it himself, you don't compete in this division with good players, you compete with great players, and our prospects are FAR away from being great players. Webb was as an ace as recent as 2 years ago. What if you're getting the next Chris Carpenter or Josh Johnson? In my opinion it's a risk that we really should take, otherwise the Yanks or Sox will. The Yanks will probably look to him to replace Vazquez.

JaysFan87
09-01-2010, 12:52 AM
When your payroll is $50M and Rogers is getting a huge profit, why not spend the cash to get a player who COULD be key to competing with the Sox, Yanks and Rays. AA said it himself, you don't compete in this division with good players, you compete with great players, and our prospects are FAR away from being great players. Webb was as an ace as recent as 2 years ago. What if you're getting the next Chris Carpenter or Josh Johnson? In my opinion it's a risk that we really should take, otherwise the Yanks or Sox will. The Yanks will probably look to him to replace Vazquez.

I can think of 100 better ways to spend the 3-5M dollars on a 31 year old pitcher who will be 32 in may who hasnt pitched in the mlb since 2009 and who is still recovering from major shoulder surgery. Sorry i just dont see the value.

BlueJayFanDan
09-01-2010, 12:58 AM
For a low price yes. Something like 5 mil a year for sure. I don't think he is as great as people think he is.

broncosfan_101
09-01-2010, 01:09 AM
I think StealingSigns and jaysfan4ever are overvaluing Webb. This is a guy who has missed basically 2 full seasons, he's not gonna cash in with the Yanks or Mets. I bet he's staring down the barrel of a one year, $8-10 mill contract for next season with some kind of option, and I'd be fine with it (especially if we trade Marcum). Webb's a guy that averaged 6+ WAR over a 4 year stretch, he was a damn fine pitcher. At worst, it just costs us money for one year. At best, he becomes an ace again which helps us in a playoff race, or we can flip him for a couple quality prospects at the deadline.

Good teams need 6 starters these days, and Webb/Romero/Morrow/Cecil/Rzepczynski/Drabek gives us that next year. And with Stewart just about ready, as well as a ton of other lower level guys on their way, there's really no downside to this.

Although if I have to choose between Webb and a veteran power hitting DH, give me the hitter. Our pitching is fine, the offense needs work.

Dol-Fan
09-01-2010, 01:10 AM
Nope starting pitching isn't our problem. We need to spend money on some on-base guys, good fielders, and possibly bullpen help (even that isn't a huge issue, we have enough pitchers in the farm that some can convert to relief arms)

Edit: didn't consider the possibility of trading Marcum...if that does happen, I'd be fine with the signing.

heusy_79
09-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Why take an expensive risk on a pitcher when we have so many young arms in the system? This guy will sign a big deal and if I'm the Jays I don't bother getting involved unless it's late in free agency and there's a bargain to be had. A big contract to Webb would look bad in a couple years if he's the 5th or 6th best starter we have, or hurt...

Eagles4Lyfe
09-01-2010, 01:41 AM
aww man i was happy i thought AA was going to go after him or something..But ya i agree webb was a beast when he was pitching and i would love to get him maybe if he does amazing and were not in contention we can sell high on him

bomber0104
09-01-2010, 02:06 AM
If the money is there, why not? It can't really hurt

idrinkpepsi
09-01-2010, 02:25 AM
If he can pitch in front of our scouts a long time and he doesn't ask for over 6 million then sure, he can eat innings if he is healthy and could let us go on a 6 man rotation for some part of the year if we needed to do so to protect the young arms. Incentive loaded deal or maybe a deal that lowers itself if Webb hits the DL (sort of like the clause in Lackey's contract except within the year instead of for a future year) Like people in this thread have stated we have arms in the minors some who should be up next year (e.g. Drabek) So who knows it has its pros and cons, but the cons IMO out weight the pros.

Manatoo
09-01-2010, 05:15 AM
God no, whats the point of adding an aging injury prone 32 year old pitcher that has never played out of the NL West? He had some great years in 06-08, but by the time this team is ready to compete in 2-3 years he will be 35-36.

Twitchy
09-01-2010, 07:22 AM
I would love to sign Webb. Best case scenario he rebounds and you can move him at the deadline if you're not in the playoff race, and worst case he doesn't pitch and you don't lose much $$ because you gave him a ton of incentives that he doesn't reach.

nstojic
09-01-2010, 08:18 AM
price point

nithanyo
09-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Definetly.... this team is an ace and a closer away from competing. This would cover ace

Webb
Romero
Marcum
Cecil
Drabek

.....Absolutley Dirty

The money is there. We can just turn around and trade a starter like Litsch for a proper hitting left fielder

nstojic
09-01-2010, 08:37 AM
^^ litsch=legit LF'er? nothing wrong with being ambitious and aiming high...:rolleyes:

StealingSigns
09-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Definetly.... this team is an ace and a closer away from competing. This would cover ace

Webb
Romero
Marcum
Cecil
Drabek

.....Absolutley Dirty

The money is there. We can just turn around and trade a starter like Litsch for a proper hitting left fielder

You are giving up on Morrow and bringing up Drabek?

nithanyo
09-01-2010, 09:11 AM
You are giving up on Morrow and bringing up Drabek?

Woops. Its early in the mornin man... Gimme a break lol

fine a rotation of

Webb
Romero
Marcum
Morrow
Cecil

....If Drabek develops into the player he is supposed to be than we can trade Marcum and Litsch and get a really solid hitter...no?? A proper hitting Left fielder.

This team basically imo is only an ace, and a closer. We can also upgrade at Left field/Leadoff and get an easily upgradable DH.

We are much closer than many think

Leadoff hitting left fielder
Escobar
Wells
Bautista
Lind
Hill
Snider
Arencibia
DH

JaysFan87
09-01-2010, 09:21 AM
^^^^really?? well hitting third?

nstojic
09-01-2010, 09:30 AM
....If Drabek develops into the player he is supposed to be than we can trade Marcum and Litsch and get a really solid hitter...no?? A proper hitting Left fielder.

Marcum AND litsch for a bat is a different story but i think marcum alone could get you a decent bat...litsch, alone, wouldn't get that type of bat...

Asham
09-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Forget Brandon Webb, give 25 million a year for Cliff Lee.

nstojic
09-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Forget Brandon Webb, give 25 million a year for Cliff Lee.

the whole thing is taking a chance on Webb at the right price(cheaper) and hoping he has a Abreu/Gurerro type monster bounce back for cheap... NOT overpay cliff lee... he certainly hasn't looked like a 25/yr player in a rangers uniform, no?

Eagles4Lyfe
09-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Lee is killing his value so much id be really shocked if he gets a big deal

Shifty1 69
09-01-2010, 12:21 PM
If the money is there, why not? It can't really hurt

I would love to sign Webb. Best case scenario he rebounds and you can move him at the deadline if you're not in the playoff race, and worst case he doesn't pitch and you don't lose much $$ because you gave him a ton of incentives that he doesn't reach.

Agreed.
I dont think he'd cost anywhere near whats coming off the books for BJ Ryan as it is.
I subscribe to the notion that you cannot have too much pitching. If he comes back healthy and is decent next season then there would most certainly be a market for him come the deadline.

If he reverts back to dominant (or at least very good), then combining that with Ricky Ro, Marcum, Morrow and Cecil then WOW.... that rotation could keep a team in contention much longer than their offense deserved (much like this year;)).

I am a big fan of high risk/high reward... its only $ and considering the low payroll already... no huge risk.

They could sign him and 2 other big name FA's and still be below $75mil which is waaay lower than it was even a year or two ago.

Shifty1 69
09-01-2010, 12:22 PM

Webb
Romero
Marcum
Cecil
Drabek

.....Absolutley Dirty

Morrow hasn't done enough to crack your rotation??:rolleyes:;):D I am assuming it was an oversight, lol

Shifty1 69
09-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Lee is killing his value so much id be really shocked if he gets a big deal

He will get a big deal if for no other reason than supply and demand (his prior success as well).

bomber0104
09-01-2010, 12:34 PM
I seriously don't get why people are so opposed to the idea.

Drabek is still better served starting the year in the minors and providing depth in case of an injury which chances are, probably will happen since its hard to imagine the rotation being fully healthy for a second straight year.

nithanyo
09-01-2010, 12:42 PM
^^^^really?? well hitting third?

I think wells should be batting third, mainly cus none of the other hitters have proven they should be batting third as of yet. The respect Bautista is going to earn next season is going to be crazy. And if you look at Wells' best season he had Glaus and Delgodo watchin his back. I think he will kill it if you put him back in the third hole. Wells has had success batting third.

Hopefully Snider can live up to the potential and we can move Wells down to 5th or 6th in the order, but as of right now he is the best suited to batting numba 3

North Yorker
09-01-2010, 12:44 PM
I would definitely sign him to a 1yr incentive laden deal, but Im thinking to myself.... would he really want to come here??

To move to Canada and compete with the 3 highest scoring teams in baseball?? It could work out badly for him if he gets pounded by TB,BOS,NYY compared to the joke of the lineups in the NL West that he's used to facing.

I would love for it to happen, but dont really see it likely.

nithanyo
09-01-2010, 12:44 PM

Drabek is still better served starting the year in the minors and providing depth in case of an injury which chances are, probably will happen since its hard to imagine the rotation being fully healthy for a second straight year.

Cus people think we are pitching deep in our organization.
This is true however most of them are not ace material.

Jays Claw
09-01-2010, 12:50 PM
If we sign him to a $4-5 million/year, then what's the risk?

1. Webb
2. Romero
3. Marcum
4. Morrow
5. Cecil

Jesus, that's filthy. Also, this will allow Drabek, Stewart, Mills and Litsch to start the year down in AAA.

nstojic
09-01-2010, 12:54 PM
They could sign him and 2 other big name FA's and still be below $75mil which is waaay lower than it was even a year or two ago.

imagine if we weren't saddled with paying Wells all that coin...

Asham
09-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Give him a 1 yr/ 10 million dollar contract like Ben Sheets

Shifty1 69
09-01-2010, 01:01 PM
imagine if we weren't saddled with paying Wells all that coin...

I dont get too stressed about that. I don't believe it is handcuffing the team all that much. I also believe that when it makes sense, this team will spend accordingly (obviously not Yankee $, but with the young cheap talent they wont need to).

nstojic
09-01-2010, 02:25 PM
I dont get too stressed about that. I don't believe it is handcuffing the team all that much. I also believe that when it makes sense, this team will spend accordingly (obviously not Yankee $, but with the young cheap talent they wont need to).

oh, i agree entirely and there's nothing to say that without him on the books, that they'd go and spend his $$$ on another player(s)... if anything, the payroll would bottom out completely... with the highest earner probably being bautista @ 6-7 mil after arbitration...

bomber0104
09-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Cus people think we are pitching deep in our organization.
This is true however most of them are not ace material.

We might be pitching deep but don't believe for a second that other organizations can't say the same thing.

Every organization has the rzepchenski's, Litschs, Jenkins and Alvarez's but we dont hear about them. You only hear about the Drabek's of the world because they are the top prospects.

what i'm saying is minor league depth means nothing to the major league rotation if these guys can't step up and do the job and that even becomes more relevant in the AL East

wowzman
09-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Give him a 1 yr/ 10 million dollar contract like Ben Sheets

Sheets 4W 9L ERA 4.53 20 Starts Age 32

http://fantasysports.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=mlb&id=3164
Aug. 27, 2010 - 7:05 p.m. ET

Ben Sheets (elbow) told reporters Friday that he isn't sure if he will be able to pitch again.

"I have no idea," said Sheets. "My arm will tell me." Besides needing Tommy John surgery to reconstruct the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow, he also had the flexor and pronator tendons in his elbow repaired. We're looking more than a year of rehab here, so the odds are squarely against him.

$2.5M per win or $500K per start

Hows that working out for Oakland?

If we sign him to a $4-5 million/year, then what's the risk?

http://fantasysports.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=MLB&id=3660

Aug. 31, 2010 - 9:40 a.m. ET

Brandon Webb's agent told Steve Gilbert of MLB.com on Monday that his client expects a one-year deal worth around $8 million this winter.

He doesn't seem likely to get it, at least not at this point. Webb, 31, has not thrown a pitch in a major league game since April of 2009 and only registered four total innings that season. Still, his agent Jonathan Maurer is comparing him to guys like Rich Harden, Brad Penny and Tim Hudson.

If he is willing to settle for $4-5M/yr then he will probably have many suitors in a more favorable situation than we are, in terms of team strength and winning/playoff chances. If he expects $8M then the number of teams interested will drop, but again the teams with the ability/willingness to pay that money will, in all likelyhood, still be in a better position than us.

As for risk, see Sheets, Ben

Eagles4Lyfe
09-01-2010, 03:47 PM
He will get a big deal if for no other reason than supply and demand (his prior success as well).
only from desperate teams like the rangers, teams that on the edge from being contenders..

Its not the fact of being opposed its just dude has been really hurt last 2 years and its hard to judge how he'll turn out ..For instance take ben sheets for example they gave him 10 million this year and look at his production, if were going to pay webb a lot of money and he produces like sheets does this year then might as well just let one of our young guys have that 5th spot and see what their made of because they wont be that bad off..
However im up for signing a pitcher in the offseason thats good i seriously wouldnt mind webb though..If he can come back to form or close to the form he had a few years ago then thats 50 wins from our rotation we should have locked next year..Then just build a solid bp and were good

StealingSigns
09-01-2010, 05:56 PM
There sure are a lot of assumptions going on in this thread that he can be signed around the 4-5 million mark in an incentive laden scenario.

He has also told reporters that if a contract with the D-Backs can't be reached, he would like to sign closer to his native Kentucky. *cough* Reds *cough*

Twitchy
09-01-2010, 06:43 PM
I would definitely sign him to a 1yr incentive laden deal, but Im thinking to myself.... would he really want to come here??

To move to Canada and compete with the 3 highest scoring teams in baseball?? It could work out badly for him if he gets pounded by TB,BOS,NYY compared to the joke of the lineups in the NL West that he's used to facing.

I would love for it to happen, but dont really see it likely.

Rich Harden went to Texas and that's one of the worst hitting parks in the league. I'd go to SD if I were Webb, but I mean if we can hypothetically sign Webb then as long as he's under 6M or so guaranteed it's not the worst risk to take on. You essentially just spend the money saved by non-tendering EE on Webb.

2009mvp
09-01-2010, 06:52 PM
I dunno how anyone could possibly say they wouldn't want Webb. This is a guy who was easily one of the 10 best pitchers in the game from '05-'08, probably closer to top 5. If we're talking a short term deal (1-3 years, ideally 1 or 2) then I really don't see the downside regardless of the dollar amount.

That being said, I don't for a second believe he'd even consider Toronto, even if the D-Backs are dumb enough to let him walk.

dtmagnet
09-01-2010, 08:40 PM
He'll be overpaid by someone so I'm guessing we won't sign him due to the dollar amount.

BigEasy1323
09-01-2010, 09:31 PM
No need to rush and overpay for an ace. We need one more season at least of stretching out the arms of Morrow and Cecil (also letting Drabek build up innings in AAA) before this staff is ready to dominate from start to finish. Lots of arms (Rzepczynski, Litsch, Mills, Richmond come to mind) will also be given a shot at the 5th spot for next season

jaysfan4ever
09-04-2010, 01:32 AM
Rich Harden went to Texas and that's one of the worst hitting parks in the league. I'd go to SD if I were Webb, but I mean if we can hypothetically sign Webb then as long as he's under 6M or so guaranteed it's not the worst risk to take on. You essentially just spend the money saved by non-tendering EE on Webb.

Bingo. Going from EE to Webb sounds pretty awesome to me haha. And Ben Sheets went to Oakland, a team with a AAA offence. Same with Erik Bedard in Seattle. It'll definitely depend on the market. If the Yanks aren't in on him, we shouldn't have to overpay much if we want him. And with us being one of the best slugging teams this year, even with Hill and Lind struggling, he has the added perks of run support and generous win totals, so I see us being an attractive option.

jaysfan4ever
09-04-2010, 01:41 AM
^^ litsch=legit LF'er? nothing wrong with being ambitious and aiming high...:rolleyes:

haha yeaaahhh

With Cecil, Stewart, Drabek, Romero and Morrow as the rotation for the next few years, anyone else should be pretty much expendable.

A package of Rzep and Mills should net us a decent LF though.

scotttube
09-04-2010, 01:41 AM
It kinda fits the mold that AA has had in taking risks to acquire potential high level performers. If it is a similar type of contract to Harden's then it's a fair deal.

Halladay
09-04-2010, 01:47 AM
Why would he want to come here? I'd love an explanation as to why he'd sign with a fourth place team when he'll clearly have better options.

scotttube
09-04-2010, 01:53 AM
Why would he want to come here? I'd love an explanation as to why he'd sign with a fourth place team when he'll clearly have better options.

Money. That's it. They have to pay more than other teams are willing to pay. It's the same as any other free agent. There's nothing stopping this team from bumping up the payroll to $120 million.

wamco
09-04-2010, 07:45 AM
You essentially just spend the money saved by non-tendering EE on Webb.

Agreed, at this point I don't see how EE would avoid being nontendered.

Asham
09-04-2010, 10:54 AM
give him a 1yr/15 million dollar contract

nithanyo
09-04-2010, 12:31 PM
give him a 1yr/15 million dollar contract

Thats wayy too much for him. Even he doesnt expect to make that much. I would think he gets a 1 yr 10 million contract with a 12 million team option for yr 2.

BJ ryans 10 million is comming off the books, Overbays 8 million, Halladays 6 million are all comming off the books.

Say we add the 10 mill owing to BJ towards Vernons contract, and Halladays 6 goes towards Romeros new contract. Than add overbays 8 million to Bautistas 3 and give him 11 mill a season.

We save 4 million from Downs, 2.5 from Frasor, 2 from Gregg, 2 from Buck and 2 from Tallet. Thats approximatley 12.5 million of which about 5 million would go towards arbitration eligable players.

That gives us about 7 million to spend on next season. I would think we would resign overbay at about 3 million to split DH and 1B with lind. I am also assuming we resign Molina at about 1 mill, and call up Arencibia for the whole season.

We virtually have no money to spend. I would love to have Webb at the top of our rotation but unless we bring up our payroll by about 10 million i dont see us getting him.

However this would be a good move by managment. We would get an ace telling the fanbase we are getting ready to compete without actually hurting the rebuilding process. And if Webb pitches well and we are out of contention in July we can trade him

North Yorker
09-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Thats wayy too much for him. Even he doesnt expect to make that much. I would think he gets a 1 yr 10 million contract with a 12 million team option for yr 2.

BJ ryans 10 million is comming off the books, Overbays 8 million, Halladays 6 million are all comming off the books.

Say we add the 10 mill owing to BJ towards Vernons contract, and Halladays 6 goes towards Romeros new contract. Than add overbays 8 million to Bautistas 3 and give him 11 mill a season.

We save 4 million from Downs, 2.5 from Frasor, 2 from Gregg, 2 from Buck and 2 from Tallet. Thats approximatley 12.5 million of which about 5 million would go towards arbitration eligable players.

That gives us about 7 million to spend on next season. I would think we would resign overbay at about 3 million to split DH and 1B with lind. I am also assuming we resign Molina at about 1 mill, and call up Arencibia for the whole season.

We virtually have no money to spend. I would love to have Webb at the top of our rotation but unless we bring up our payroll by about 10 million i dont see us getting him.

However this would be a good move by managment. We would get an ace telling the fanbase we are getting ready to compete without actually hurting the rebuilding process. And if Webb pitches well and we are out of contention in July we can trade him

Your assuming the payroll stays the same next year. Rogers has given AA a lot of $$$ to spend on the draft and international FA's. Heck we were willing to dish out big money on Chapman. I would think that if a Marcum trade happened that Rogers would ok a deal to go after Webb.

TO to the CHI
09-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Your assuming the payroll stays the same next year. Rogers has given AA a lot of $$$ to spend on the draft and international FA's. Heck we were willing to dish out big money on Chapman. I would think that if a Marcum trade happened that Rogers would ok a deal to go after Webb.

He also gave Bautista 11 million a season, so I feel that the post can fairly be discounted.

Halladay
09-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Money. That's it. They have to pay more than other teams are willing to pay. It's the same as any other free agent. There's nothing stopping this team from bumping up the payroll to $120 million.

At this point in time we don't need to be spending money on anyone unless it's to keep youngsters around like we just saw with Romero. Guys like Webb sign with legit contenders on one year deals to bring their value back up so they can cash in. I see no reason why he'd come to a fourth place team who likely stays in fourth place for a few more years. The playoffs are the big stage.

Twitchy
09-04-2010, 04:18 PM
If he signs with the Jays and does a good job then he'll get traded to a contender.

wamco
09-04-2010, 04:23 PM
stop with the "noone will come and play in toronto " nonsense. I've rooted for the team for almost 25 years and never heard this crapola until JP came to town.

2009mvp
09-04-2010, 05:30 PM

Why would Bautista get 11? That's almost twice as much as the Jays need to pay him.

nithanyo
09-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Why would Bautista get 11? That's almost twice as much as the Jays need to pay him.

Alright alright 11 million is alot lol. But 8 million a season for 5 years is something realistic. Ok so we get another 3 million to spend. That can get u a kevin gregg, or a jason frasor. We still cant afford Webb if our payroll stays the same

2009mvp
09-04-2010, 07:34 PM
So we're giving 5 years to a thirty year old with one good season under his belt now? It doesnt matter how confident you are in Bautista producing next year any way you look at it that would still be insane. Again, with one year of arbitration left the Jays still have time to look at him. Use that time before saddling the organizatiin with a long term contract.

Halladay
09-04-2010, 09:41 PM
stop with the "noone will come and play in toronto " nonsense. I've rooted for the team for almost 25 years and never heard this crapola until JP came to town.

No one with the chance at a ring in Webb's situation will sign here given where we're currently at and where we likely are next season. Until we start progressing in the standings we don't really need to spending big bucks.

Asham
09-04-2010, 10:10 PM
We still cant afford Webb if our payroll stays the same

Which there are no indications that it will

nithanyo
09-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Which there are no indications that it will

Is there any indications that it will go up??? Managment said they will spend when the time is right. Well first off i dont think the time is right to go on a spending spree. Secondly its not like the managment has not deiceved the fans before

Twitchy
09-04-2010, 11:55 PM
No one with the chance at a ring in Webb's situation will sign here given where we're currently at and where we likely are next season. Until we start progressing in the standings we don't really need to spending big bucks.

Webb doesn't have much of a chance at a ring if he continues to have setbacks. Let's be honest. He hasn't pitched since 2008, unless you want to include the 4 innings he threw in 2009. This guy has been out of the game for a pretty long time now. He's not going to get mega dollars without hitting his incentives.

Pitchers don't always go to the top teams when they're coming off an injury plagued year. And like I said before, if Webb produces for a non-playoff team, he'll be shipped off to a contender at the deadline. So a team's chances at the playoffs really doesn't matter, because if Webb's pitching well he'll be on a playoff team come August.

wamco
09-05-2010, 07:27 AM
this ain't webb coming off his stellar seasons as pointed out above. This is webb with alot of question marks.