PDA

View Full Version : On the Four Major Sports in the US, Which one is the most Team Sport?

DodgerBulls
08-31-2010, 11:09 PM
Okay, so once again, before I go back to college, me and my boys are having a debate on which of the four major sports in the US is the most of a team sport. I'd like to get some inputs here also.

So in the poll, vote for the sport that corresponds based on your personal rankings.

EDIT:

Vote just one for each.

My personal ranking is:

Football
Hockey
Basketball
Baseball

What's Yours?

Mods: Didn't know where to put it, just figured NBA Forum has more people than the rest or is it? Well, feel free to move it.

jrice9
08-31-2010, 11:11 PM
I would say either football or hockey to be honest. In basketball or baseball individuals can dominate, in hockey or football there are so many components to a success

KKell2507
08-31-2010, 11:25 PM
I had this debate with my roomates just the other day. I dont really watch much hockey so ill leave them out and not comment, but of the other 3 id rank them:

Football
Baseball
Basketball

Football is the most team oriented because it requires the whole team. A QB is nothing without a good line. A RB is nothing without a good line or QB. A WR is nothing without a good QB. A team is nothing without a good defense. It is the only sport that no single player can dominate one game.

Baseball is 2nd on my place because it requires more than 1 good player in baseball to make the playoffs and win a World Series. Sure you can have 1 dominant pitcher who can take over a game by himself. But he also only pitches 1 out of every 5 days. So what good is he really if the team loses 4 out of 5 every time. Also in Baseball, it requires a team to come through in the clutch not just one player. If its the bottom of the 9th and 2 outs in the world series and the Yankees are down 1 with a runner on 3rd, Joe girardi cant say alright Derek Jeter go out and get this hit and win the game. You have to send out whoever is next up in the lineup. So it requires a whole team to win the game.

Basketball is last because you may not be able to win a championship with just 1 great player, but he can sure take you a pretty long way. Just ask the 2007 Cavs where Lebron took them, or the 2001 Sixers where AI took them? sure neither won the championship but no one player can dominant more in any other sport like they can in Basketball.

D1JM
08-31-2010, 11:25 PM
soccer

Mikeleafs
08-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Who ever voted basketball is a fool! LOL

It has become one of the most one dimensional/one player driven league/sport in the world...

I'd say football is the most TEAM sport followed by hockey as a close second. I think hockey is the only sport which CAN'T buy a championship.

NBA-GMaster
08-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Football, Basketball,Hockey and last Baseball..

Mikeleafs
08-31-2010, 11:27 PM
soccer

Soccer is definitely the most TEAM sport but unfortunately its not the top 4 sport in North America...

Rego247
08-31-2010, 11:31 PM
out of the ones there id say football or hockey....

But Bobby D makes a very strong case Baseball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-sV-O2-jCY

:D

td0tsfinest
08-31-2010, 11:38 PM
Football is probably the most team orientated sport. Every single person needs to do their job, one blown assignment and it could ruin everything. Each player on the field needs to be on the same page.

Hockey comes next. You never see a guy with the puck for more than 3-5 secs, the puck is constantly being passed around. In such a fast paced sport, communication is key.

Basketball is third. While, a strong team is necessary, sometime we see an individual carry an entire team all by himself. Its not often in any other sport that you'll see a single player come in and completely change a team around.

Baseball is last. While baseball relies on individual performance when it comes to winning. Other than double plays, the only other time you see team work is when one of your teammates grabs your glove from the dugout.

BlazingJ
08-31-2010, 11:38 PM
probably football or basketball, then hockey, then baseball. baseball is almost a completely individual sport

CB29
08-31-2010, 11:39 PM
baseball has the most team interaction... 2nd football...3rd hockey... 4th b-ball...

cdnsportsfan
08-31-2010, 11:41 PM
Football first and foremost, no question! Every unit has to work and if they're not, it doesn't matter if the team has signed a star player (Terrel Owens and the Bills last season is a prime example). There are so many different components to a football game, so many players actively involved at different times. No question, football is the most, hands down!

Hockey is second because hockey revolves around depth, there are four lines that see playing time every game. Not quite as team oriented as football since a star player can help to elevate a team but one player alone can't do it all on their own (see Gretzky and the Blues as a prime example).

Baseball comes third, if only for the pitching staff alone. Having one amazing pitcher doesn't address the four other games while he's sitting. And of course a lacklustre bullpen can ruin the most well pitched game by a starter - especially since fewer and fewer pitchers (just about everyone not named Roy Halliday) are pitching complete games. The other positions aren't affected quite as much but there is a lot of interaction between the team - albeit the same players over and over.

Basketball is not the least team oriented game in the world, but sadly it has evolved that way over time (especially in North America). The Celtics went from worst in the league to NBA champions based on the addition of two All Stars, I think that's proof enough. Teams can beat other squads with deeper benches if they have a better star player, and it happens frequently. And the way that the NBA has evolved it's making the sport look worse and worse. Should the Miami Heat win the championship it may hurt the sport...

No question in my mind: Football, then Hockey, then Baseball, then Basketball.

Hangtime
08-31-2010, 11:43 PM
Football. More components with offense defense and special teams.

thescore53
08-31-2010, 11:47 PM
the thread title isolates candians :pity:

_KB24_
09-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Obviously football, you need a LOT of firepower to win the Superbowl.

ntat
09-01-2010, 12:10 AM
1-Football
2-Basketball
3-Baseball
4-What is hockey?

Mikeleafs
09-01-2010, 12:17 AM
football first and foremost, no question! Every unit has to work and if they're not, it doesn't matter if the team has signed a star player (terrel owens and the bills last season is a prime example). There are so many different components to a football game, so many players actively involved at different times. No question, football is the most, hands down!

Hockey is second because hockey revolves around depth, there are four lines that see playing time every game. Not quite as team oriented as football since a star player can help to elevate a team but one player alone can't do it all on their own (see gretzky and the blues as a prime example).

Baseball comes third, if only for the pitching staff alone. Having one amazing pitcher doesn't address the four other games while he's sitting. And of course a lacklustre bullpen can ruin the most well pitched game by a starter - especially since fewer and fewer pitchers (just about everyone not named roy halliday) are pitching complete games. The other positions aren't affected quite as much but there is a lot of interaction between the team - albeit the same players over and over.

Basketball is not the least team oriented game in the world, but sadly it has evolved that way over time (especially in north america). The celtics went from worst in the league to nba champions based on the addition of two all stars, i think that's proof enough. Teams can beat other squads with deeper benches if they have a better star player, and it happens frequently. And the way that the nba has evolved it's making the sport look worse and worse. Should the miami heat win the championship it may hurt the sport...

No question in my mind: Football, then hockey, then baseball, then basketball.

x100000

Yanks All Day
09-01-2010, 12:20 AM
1) Baseball - If it was as simple as having the best player(s) on a team, then the Cardinals should be dominant. Pujols, Holliday, Wainwright, and Carpenter? There's 2 of the best hitters and pitchers on one team. No. You have to go at least 4 deep pitching wise (last year's Yanks were an anomoly, not the standard) and have 7-8 very good hitters. Bullpens eventually take over, also, so the best pitchers don't always have a say in the end of the game. You can pitch around the best hitters and work the best pitchers to shorter outings, so in baseball moreso than other sports, it's about teammates picking one another up.

2) Football - Lines controlling the run game. Defense picking up the offense and vice versa. A few real good players can carry you through certain games, but it takes 50+ players to win a Super Bowl.

3) Basketball- For the most part, you need 2 stars and very good role players to win a championship, and we have seen that teams need to be at least 7 or 8 deep to win the championship, but in the NBA moreso that football and baseball, one player can carry a team to at least the playoffs. LeBron on the Cavs, anyone?

4) Hockey- Due to the low scoring nature, its easier in hockey for one player to take over. It was a tossup at 3-4 for hockey and bball, but the NBA usually has games in the 90s and 100s, while hockey finishes around 3-1. Strong individual performances can win a hockey game, but its not like its not a team sport.

abe_froman
09-01-2010, 01:41 AM
hockey

effen5
09-01-2010, 02:17 AM
football
hockey
baseball

basketball

NYKalltheway
09-01-2010, 06:55 AM
It should have been basketball, but in the States it's gotta be football. I think every player is extremely important. Hockey comes 2nd since it's very much like soccer but with less players on each time

stejay
09-01-2010, 06:59 AM
imma go with..

1. Basketball
2. Football
3. Hockey
4. Baseball

tcav701
09-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Football by a MILE.

Football is the only sport where EVERY player has to do their job EVERY play just to gain a yard. One player messing up can cause disaster for their team.

DMasta718
09-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Definitely Football is #1. Every single person on the field have to contribute and do their job. Also have to be on the same page. Not just offensively but defensively. If a team blows their assignment, they not going anywhere.

marlinsfan24
09-01-2010, 12:17 PM
1) Baseball - If it was as simple as having the best player(s) on a team, then the Cardinals should be dominant. Pujols, Holliday, Wainwright, and Carpenter? There's 2 of the best hitters and pitchers on one team. No. You have to go at least 4 deep pitching wise (last year's Yanks were an anomoly, not the standard) and have 7-8 very good hitters. Bullpens eventually take over, also, so the best pitchers don't always have a say in the end of the game. You can pitch around the best hitters and work the best pitchers to shorter outings, so in baseball moreso than other sports, it's about teammates picking one another up.

2) Football - Lines controlling the run game. Defense picking up the offense and vice versa. A few real good players can carry you through certain games, but it takes 50+ players to win a Super Bowl.

3) Basketball- For the most part, you need 2 stars and very good role players to win a championship, and we have seen that teams need to be at least 7 or 8 deep to win the championship, but in the NBA moreso that football and baseball, one player can carry a team to at least the playoffs. LeBron on the Cavs, anyone?

4) Hockey- Due to the low scoring nature, its easier in hockey for one player to take over. It was a tossup at 3-4 for hockey and bball, but the NBA usually has games in the 90s and 100s, while hockey finishes around 3-1. Strong individual performances can win a hockey game, but its not like its not a team sport.

This.

tcav701
09-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Im suprised people are saying baseball is the largest team sport. It is an entire game based on idividual matchups. Sure the teams that win the most matchups win but every AB is a hitter vs a pitcher while everyone else waits for something to happen.

ccugrad1
09-01-2010, 12:32 PM
I don't think any of them are team sports, at least not to the professional athletes now-days. With these athletes now-days, deep down, do they really care what their team does as long as they play well enough personally to get umpteen million dollars per year? People always talk about A-Rod and the HOF; ask him if he really cares about that the next time he is counting his half a billion dollars he has earned over his career.

Or look at Darrelle Revis. He doesn't care about the Jets! All he cares about is making more money than Asomugha to be the highest paid CB in the NFL.

Jacob K.
09-01-2010, 12:51 PM
I don't think any of them are team sports, at least not to the professional athletes now-days. With these athletes now-days, deep down, do they really care what their team does as long as they play well enough personally to get umpteen million dollars per year? People always talk about A-Rod and the HOF; ask him if he really cares about that the next time he is counting his half a billion dollars he has earned over his career.

Or look at Darrelle Revis. He doesn't care about the Jets! All he cares about is making more money than Asomugha to be the highest paid CB in the NFL.

well said!

king4day
09-01-2010, 02:19 PM
My order:

1. Basketball
2. Hockey
3. Football
4. Baseball

1. Basketball: I don't care if you have a superstar on the team. If the rest of the team doesn't jel, then it means nothing. Kobe's 81pt game is prime example.
2. Hockey: See 1. Same play type, but since I'm more an NBA fan, I put basketball first.
3. Football: Your team won't make a cornerback better. He's either good or he's not. Same goes for many other positions.
4. Baseball: This game can be changed by acquiring one player (Lee to the Phils for example).

EDIT: to clarify, basketball and hockey, your team cannot succeed regularly without playing like a team.
In football, if you have a dynamic QB, he can make up for a ton of flaws in your team. And since there's so much going on and so many players per side, you can make up for mistakes you wouldn't otherwise see. When the Rams won the superbowl, the defense wasn't good at all. Their offense won them the superbowl.

Klivlend
09-01-2010, 02:40 PM
I can't understand how anyone voted for baseball being the #1 team sport. It just doesn't make any sense. Over football? Every second of every football game the entire team has to work together. There is not a single play in baseball that requires all 9 players to work together to accomplish anything.

crewfan13
09-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I have to go

Football: I think this one is obvious, at least to me. Everyone has a relatively major role in every play. One person making a mistake affects the whole team.

Baseball: Although baseball is dictated almost strictly on individual matchups, i.e. pitcher vs batter, it ultimately comes down to the entire team. Like others have said, even if you have one dominant pitcher, he can only pitch once every 5 days. The team still needs to get wins in some of those four other days. The same kind of goes for hitters too. Generally great hitters get 4 to 5 ABs a game. Even elite hitters, like Bonds in his prime, can be essentially taken out of the game by walking them. Your teammates still need to drive you in to score.

Hockey: I'll admit, I don't know much about hockey. I could prolly be swayed to put this ahead of baseball, but my rationale is that there are still a few positions in which one elite player can make a huge difference. My example, and I could be wrong, is that an elite goalie can still dominate a game. Even if the defense and offense is slightly below average, an elite goalie can still keep his team in most games. An elite pitcher can only keep his team in 20% of games and elite hitters can relatively easily be pitched around and not have a huge outcome on the game. You have to face an elite goalie no matter what your gameplan is in hockey.

Basketball: This is easily last. Anyone who thinks this is first is delusional and is blinded by their love of the sport. Its is pretty easy for one player to dominate a game. Wilt Chamberlain's 100 pt performance is a prime example. Pretty much all 5 guys on the opposing team covered Wilt in the fourth quarter and still couldn't stop him. I realize this is an excedingly rare circumstance, but it illustrates my point. Like others have said too, look at what Lebron did with the 2007 Cavs and AI with the 2001 Sixers. They were great players who carried a team essentially filled with below average players. You would never see an NFL team in the Conference Championships or Super Bowl with one elite player or two elite players and the rest of the starters as below average. Same goes for baseball and hockey, teams that make it deep into the playoffs are rarely made up of a team with one or two elite players and the rest of the team as below average.

JWO35
09-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Obviously Football, unlike Basketball you need more than a Superstar and a bunch of Pedestrians(See Cavaliers)...

Sly Guy
09-01-2010, 03:14 PM
I voted 1,2,3,4. Just because I could.

Actually, I'd go:
football
hockey
basketball
baseball

My reasoning:

1. football requires huge amounts of micromanagement to be effective. From the coach to every player on the field, everyone has to be on the same page.
2. hockey requires all players to play a system, although the game has more free flow than football, no single player can dominate a game and decide an outcome, outside from a very hot goaltender.
3. in basketball you can be successful playing isolation basketball, having 1-2 players score a ton of points can secure a victory, and is not all that uncommon. Although set plays and defenses are more technical than in hockey, simply because it can be a one man show means it's less of a team game.
4. Baseball, because it's pretty much a dual between pitcher and hitter for the vast majority of the game.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-01-2010, 05:09 PM
football
hockey
baseball
basketball

football is the ultimate team sport. everyone has to produce at their respective positions in order for a team to have success. same thing for hockey. baseball is above basketball because not one individual player can take a team to the playoffs. i guess you can argue that baseball be above hockey bc in hockey you can have one player lead a team but you still have to have defense but basketball is last. only in basketball can one player lead a team to the playoffs on his back (ie. kobe, wade, lebron, KD, Dwight etc.)

NYtilIdie
09-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Basketball is probably the least team sport out of the four. You could put Lebron on last years Knicks team and they're winning at least 45 games.

Football to me is the team sport.

Coqui77
09-01-2010, 05:36 PM
1. Football (who is a quarterback gonna throw it to, what D-line is gonna stop a receiver)
2. Hockey (Has one on one situations but still requires team help to win)
3. Baseball (cause one can say it's between the pitcher and batter)
4. Basketball (one man can take over a game)

cowboyz180
09-01-2010, 05:38 PM
football, hockey, bball, and baseball

football is defintely #1 because everything has to work together in order to win games

avrpatsfan
09-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Football and it's not even close. Hockey is 2nd. Then it would go Basketball then Baseball.