PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the "hook shot"?

kArSoN RyDaH
08-31-2010, 08:21 PM
i dont see anyone use it in todays game. it seemed to be really effective for players back in the days. anyone have any idea why this type of shot is no longer used by nba players?

Hawkeye15
08-31-2010, 08:36 PM
its a high skill shot taught to big men. Since the movement away from true centers and bigs, the shot has fallen off the radar. Jump hooks still exist. D12 has a nice on, Al Jefferson uses a shot put version. But in all reality, post work has died off in general with all the big guys wanting to be KG, or any of that mold.
It will come back when the true big man comes back. If that ever happens

kArSoN RyDaH
08-31-2010, 08:40 PM
its a high skill shot taught to big men. Since the movement away from true centers and bigs, the shot has fallen off the radar. Jump hooks still exist. D12 has a nice on, Al Jefferson uses a shot put version. But in all reality, post work has died off in general with all the big guys wanting to be KG, or any of that mold.
It will come back when the true big man comes back. If that ever happens

yeah its very intriguing how a shot like that can just die out almost completely. especially since the players who used it to perfection are some of the NBAs best players (see- Kareem, Magic etc.). its a hard shot to block id like to see more players use it.

Avenged
08-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Kareem holds it's rights that's why. ;)

In all seriousness though, it would be nice to see Dwight acquire a set of post moves, it would make the Magic much, much better.

Andrew Bynum also has nice footwork and has worked with Kareem so it would be nice to see him develop that aspect a bit more. I could imagine him with a hook shot. :drool:

Caps1989
08-31-2010, 08:41 PM
Simple answer, they just dont care about the fundamentals of basketball

kArSoN RyDaH
08-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Kareem holds it's rights that's why. ;)

In all seriousness though, it would be nice to see Dwight acquire a set of post moves, it would make the Magic much, much better.

Andrew Bynum also has nice footwork and has worked with Kareem so it would be nice to see him develop that aspect a bit more. I could imagine him with a hook shot. :drool:

Agreed. its not an easy shot to defend especially when your able to use it the way Kareem did which is probably one of the primary reasons hes the all time leading scorer.

ntat
08-31-2010, 08:43 PM
i see it as a purely "finese" move, primarily set up for big men since they play in the post. There just arent as many finese in the bigs as there used to be. I think Pau could do it if he wanted to.

kArSoN RyDaH
08-31-2010, 08:44 PM
i see it as a purely "finese" move, primarily set up for big men since they play in the post. There just arent as many finese in the bigs as there used to be. I think Pau could do it if he wanted to.

finesse? i think you can argue that that is pretty much all there is in the nba. well maybe not completely finesse but they definately are not power bigs. lol

SA5195
08-31-2010, 08:56 PM
Andrea Bargnani does it alot, when he's in the post. Except it doesn't look as "sexy" lol.

Mave1002
08-31-2010, 09:00 PM
What do you mean what happened to it?

PAU GASOL mastered it. :rolleyes:

Raoul Duke
08-31-2010, 09:06 PM
Honestly, the last player I remember actually using it consistently/effectively was C-Webb.

Hellcrooner
08-31-2010, 09:12 PM
Ive seen Pau and Tim Ducnan do some of tem.

and im a master at it.
pity im 5;11

llemon
08-31-2010, 09:14 PM
Duncan used the hook shot for awhile.

Doesn't use it as much these days.

Raoul Duke
08-31-2010, 09:19 PM
Duncan used the hook shot for awhile.

Doesn't use it as much these days.

Oh damn, yeah. I dunno how I forgot Duncan...

Honestly, though, not a lot of big guys today are using it. Evidently they'd rather just shoot midrange jumpers. :(

omdigga
08-31-2010, 09:22 PM
its a highly skilled shot that doesnt look cool anymore...

most big men today rather work on there three point shooting.

its one of the sad consequences of flashyness taking the place of fundamentals in todays game.

fadedmario
08-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Everyone wants to be like Mike. That's what happened

Avenged
08-31-2010, 09:48 PM
There's nothing wrong with wanting to be like Kareem either.

td0tsfinest
08-31-2010, 09:59 PM
Its still used, its just not the conventional Kareem Hook shot. This is the type of Hook shot we see more of now a days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nusENs4ZrUE

RocketPower2010
08-31-2010, 10:10 PM
Two

Words

Yao

Ming

HoopsDrive
08-31-2010, 10:22 PM
Two

Words

Yao

Ming

This. Although he doesn't move a lot when doing it you could still technically call it a hook shot.

SteveNash
08-31-2010, 10:52 PM
It's not that effective and it's kind of ugly.

gwrighter
08-31-2010, 10:56 PM
Its still used, its just not the conventional Kareem Hook shot. This is the type of Hook shot we see more of now a days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nusENs4ZrUE

yeah the baby hook. shaq used to do it all the time.

ntat
08-31-2010, 11:59 PM
finesse? i think you can argue that that is pretty much all there is in the nba. well maybe not completely finesse but they definately are not power bigs. lol

u really think the brunt of bigs in the NBA have finesse skill sets? Cuz i do not.

DenButsu
09-01-2010, 12:09 AM
It's not that effective and it's kind of ugly.

Not that effective?!?

If poorly executed, perhaps, but then that's more the fault of the shooter than the type of shot he's taking.

Truth is, the jump hook is probably just about the hardest shot to defend in basketball. It's a shame it's gone "out of style" or whatever, because if some of today's young bigs added it to their arsenal it would really expand the dimensionality of their offense. It's amazing to me that the NBA's coaching staffs don't spend more effort on cultivating this skill.

Good thread topic, btw.

mynameismo
09-01-2010, 12:16 AM
Decline in offensively talented Centers..

Then - Post Kareem era.. (90's) .. We had Hakeem, Ewing, Zo, Admiral, Shaq even the likes of Rik Smits, Campbell, Divac, and Sabonis had good post moves.

Now - Even our current Best Center in the League (Dwight Howard) has limited post moves.

_KB24_
09-01-2010, 12:18 AM
Because the league is completely different now in terms of the way it's played. Everyone who's seen Kareem play, knows that his back was ALWAYS against the basket and was bodied and harrased by defenders. The Celtics Big 3 and guys like Erving were notorious for the way they "elbowed" and "grabbed" onto the opposing bigs. Heard Kareem even mention it on an interview once. So bigs couldn't front, so Kareem use to play away from the hoop and used his patented hook fading away from the basket using his strong hand depending what side of the hoop he was on. Nowadays, guys like Dirk, Pau, Amare, and other elite offensive bigs now front and show the ball to the defender because they are not allowed to use that defensive pressure from back then. From what I've seen, Duncan uses the hook shot to the best advantage nowadays.

jimm120
09-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Its kind of like the post up fade away shot.

Yes, people do the "fade away", but facing the basket or a quick turn. No one does the post up and then a fade away shot. Kind of like how Ewing did it. I've seen Kobe do it. But for the most part, I just see regular shots in which the player is slightly leaning backwards after catching the ball. Not many post up and then do a fadeaway (and I mean a nice leaning fadeaway).

All good and effective moves, but I guess its part "not fashionable" at the moment (as some stated, different use for centers now-a-days) and also because it requires time to learn. Guess coaches nor players want to put in the work to perfect those shots.

But I guess that is one of the problems with those shots. If they aren't perfect nor near perfect, their success rate is low. A regular jump shot, even if not good, still has a good chance of going in. Not those moves. You really need to become a "master" at them for them to fall in a greater rate.

Its more difficult to learn, but gives more rewards.
Other shots are less difficult, but not as effective.

Bishnoff
09-01-2010, 12:41 AM
The "Hook Shot" is alive and well in International Basketball, just not the NBA at present. As Hawkeye said, it’s part of a traditional big man’s repertoire, and doesn’t suit the current mould for NBA big men.

I should point out that Pau Gasol has a nice running jump hook and baby hook.

goku
09-01-2010, 12:48 AM
yao does it pretty well

PC
09-01-2010, 12:59 AM
From the handful of national tv games I've seen Dwight uses it from time to time

jay87shot
09-01-2010, 01:07 AM
Andrew Bogut uses it a ton, way more than anyone else I've watched. It's extremely effective against your average and below average defenders. The very athletic centers and good defenders give the hook shot problems. I think since there are more big guys and the difficulty of the shot make it less sexy.

sugarrayray
09-01-2010, 01:20 AM
i dont see anyone use it in todays game. it seemed to be really effective for players back in the days. anyone have any idea why this type of shot is no longer used by nba players?

I guess you've never watched Andrew Bogut play. He scores at least half of his points that way. He's pretty much equally good at both hands.

Storch
09-01-2010, 01:29 AM
Gasol and Duncan make a living out of the hook shot

topdog
09-01-2010, 01:39 AM
This is why I wish I was 7ft tall. I'd shoot jump hooks, hold the ball over my head for short jumpers and keep my dribble low as I take any big heftier than me to the rack :D

kArSoN RyDaH
09-01-2010, 02:33 AM
I guess you've never watched Andrew Bogut play. He scores at least half of his points that way. He's pretty much equally good at both hands.

yea ive seen him play a couple times but i guess i never noticed it as a fan from his team would.

kEviN21
09-01-2010, 02:49 AM
Yao ming !!

boriquaabe
09-01-2010, 03:00 AM
The hook shot was a thing of beauty. Kareem was the creator But Sabonis had a pretty good one himself.

Two things killed the beauty and grace of basketball. The three point line and Michael Jordan.

Blazers#1Fan
09-01-2010, 03:03 AM
the hook shot looks different now your body isnt parallel to the basket the body is turned toward the basket now like the greg oden hook shot if hebecomes healthy youll know what im talkin bout

KB24>MJ23
09-01-2010, 03:43 AM
the hook shot is still around. the sky hook is what disappeared. since kareem retired, no one has been able to duplicate it.

lakers4sho
09-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Learning the sky hook takes a lot of time and dedication to do...players today would rather flirt with the media and do 1 hour specials on ESPN.

Sly Guy
09-01-2010, 10:06 AM
its a highly skilled shot that doesnt look cool anymore...

most big men today rather work on there three point shooting.

its one of the sad consequences of flashyness taking the place of fundamentals in todays game.

this. Style>substance in today's NBA.

JonnyBrav000
09-01-2010, 10:37 AM

This is a good post. Really interesting question, I'd like to see someone like Tim Duncan answer this question because he used to use it more. I'd like to see Dwight answer this question because he should aquire this move, and he did work out with Hakeen Olajuwon, who had an awesome hook shot and IMO he was the best center I ever had the pleasure to watch.

GMEN4EVER
09-01-2010, 10:44 AM
the hook shot is still around. the sky hook is what disappeared. since kareem retired, no one has been able to duplicate it.

Lol, the sky hook is a hook shot. It's called a sky hook in his case only because he was so dam tall, with a little bit of a jump nobody could possibly block the shot.

To the point of the thread, hook shots are still in use, just not as much as they used to be. It's a shot you need to really work on a lot to get right. There's several types as well. I think you're refering to the classic hook shot where someone jumps off on leg to take the shot. Slight variation is the running hook, it's the same thing just not from a standing still position. Dwight uses a running hook shot a lot. There's also the jump hook shot, which is more prevalent than the traditional hook shot in today's game. The jump hook is different in that you jump off two feet to take it, allowing for the players to get higher up with the shot and it also leads to greater balance for the shot taker. It's a little easier to do skill wise than the standard back to the basket pivot then shoot type of hook shot.

It's definitely gone down in use a lot, but several players still use it. And you'll notice that the guys who still use it tend to also be the better big men in the league, so it's a matter of having the skill necessary to make it a viable option for the shooter, and we've seen a bit of a regression in the overall skill level of big men, they're leaning more towards athleticism than skill these days.

sep11ie
09-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Yao Ming's been hurt. Scola has that "running hook shot" going on right now too.

b0nk
09-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Kareem had some pretty good range on that hook shot

i don't think most centers these days can hit that hook outside of 3 feet

Russollini
09-01-2010, 11:18 AM
I think it went away with the rule changes...If you can not put your hands on the player then there is no reason for them to master a shot that was designed to keep the front defender at bay.

Klivlend
09-01-2010, 11:36 AM
I think it went away with the rule changes...If you can not put your hands on the player then there is no reason for them to master a shot that was designed to keep the front defender at bay.

That is a good point. But, nonetheless, it is still an effective means of scoring. And, I don't really think it is as difficult as some of you are making it sound.

tcav701
09-01-2010, 12:01 PM
You can't get players into foul trouble taking hook shots. Taking the ball to the basket is the way the NBA is now. Regaurdless of who initiates the contact, if you are a household name, you will get the call most times.

You see more and more players pump faking and leaning into contact for and 1 opportunites. A hook shot would not draw the minimal contact it takes to get to the line.

Hellcrooner
09-01-2010, 12:18 PM
COme on people, you are talking bout it as it was rocket science.

Im by no means a good Player and i managed to learn how to do the hjook with both nhands ( i had to since y played out of position against people that was a head or more taller than me) and i was teached it by a lousy youth schemes 5th tier team coach.

Cant be so hard for a top notch Coach to teach it to its players

HakeemTheDream
09-01-2010, 12:47 PM
I'll tell you what happened to the hook shot, people like Vince Carter came around and said wtf is a hook shot? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp6qJ7LZNlg

And then everyone else said "... I forgot"

Russollini
09-01-2010, 12:50 PM
I'll tell you what happened to the hook shot, people like Vince Carter came around and said wtf is a hook shot? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp6qJ7LZNlg

And then everyone else said "... I forgot"

That was a different Kind of Hook shot lol

HakeemTheDream
09-01-2010, 12:59 PM
That was a different Kind of Hook shot lol

After he came around doing crazy stuff like that I don't think anyone wanted to hook shot anymore. Even big men like Shaq, Amare, and Dwight would probably agree

showtym24
09-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Duncan, Pau, Bynum use it often.

showtym24
09-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Unless you meant the skyhook?

ewing
09-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Not many NBA bigs play a traditional back to the basket game anymore. For those who do the jump hook is still pretty popular. The sky hook is pretty much gone but it was also a very difficult shot that was really only mastered by one player

GMEN4EVER
09-01-2010, 01:22 PM
The drawing fouls comment makes a lot of sense. That's a viable reason for it to be limited in it's use. Combined with the softer defense players are allowed to play today and you have a situation where a hook shot doesn't really make sense to learn how to do unless you've already mastered several other more typical post moves and are just trying to broaden your game. It's not that it's a hard shot to do, it's just a hard shot to do right is the key. And by right, I mean you have to hit it at about a 60-70 percent clip because you're not drawing fouls on the other big man, so for it to make sense in an efficiency and game plan sense you'd have to nail it at a much higher percentage than league average for true shooting percentage, which is usually around 55%.

Personally, I think a lot more centers should use it. It's a great counter to having a bigger, stronger guy playing against you in the low post. And if somebody tall is able to make it work it becomes an unstoppable play, which helped a certain someone score the most points all time.

HakeemTheDream
09-01-2010, 01:24 PM
That flat baby hook Pau and Duncan do is nice, but when I think of a hook shot I usually think of a hook shot with a little arc

Klivlend
09-01-2010, 01:56 PM
COme on people, you are talking bout it as it was rocket science.

Im by no means a good Player and i managed to learn how to do the hjook with both nhands ( i had to since y played out of position against people that was a head or more taller than me) and i was teached it by a lousy youth schemes 5th tier team coach.

Cant be so hard for a top notch Coach to teach it to its players

I agree. I was playing last Sunday and hit a left handed hook in the lane. And I'm right handed. It is not as difficult as people are making it sound. It's very effective versus taller competition-very hard shot to block.

SteveNash
09-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Not that effective?!?

If poorly executed, perhaps, but then that's more the fault of the shooter than the type of shot he's taking.

Truth is, the jump hook is probably just about the hardest shot to defend in basketball. It's a shame it's gone "out of style" or whatever, because if some of today's young bigs added it to their arsenal it would really expand the dimensionality of their offense. It's amazing to me that the NBA's coaching staffs don't spend more effort on cultivating this skill.

Good thread topic, btw.

The hook shot is a nice shot as a back up when you have trouble getting your shot off. But just because it's hard to block doesn't mean it's the greatest shot in basketball. The mechanics and arc of the ball will never make it as reliable as a traditional jumpshot much like a fadeaway will never be as reliable even if it's harder to defend. Furthermore, you have players like Kareem who become softer the more they rely on the hook shoot, not fighting for deeper post position because they don't "have" to. NBA has become wing dominant anyway, and it's hard for bigs to be effective without the ball.

PistonsFan14
09-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Shaq does it right?

Verbal Christ
09-01-2010, 08:52 PM
yao has a sweet hook with both hands anywhere within 10 feet of the bucket

JJ_JKidd
09-02-2010, 09:09 AM

As far as im concerned I still see it esp w/ Pau, and Dwight. Maybe your pertaining to the sky-hook by Kareem? Lol

USMCLaker
09-02-2010, 02:42 PM

I agree with you. I think that's what he meant because we do see the typical hook shot pretty frequently.

USMCLaker
09-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Learning the sky hook takes a lot of time and dedication to do...players today would rather flirt with the media and do 1 hour specials on ESPN.

I agree 100%. The sky hook is hard to do and most players would rather spend time working on other things or aspects of their game.

hvg
09-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Shaq still throws up a lot of baby hooks.

ManningToTyree
09-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Kareem retired.

USMCLaker
09-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Kareem retired.

Lol, good answer.

d-baller23
09-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Dwight Howard and Shaq still use it. But every other Big Man uses a face up jumper. Pau seldomly uses it, and Bynum too.