PDA

View Full Version : Which "Up and Coming" Team USA Player will Parlay the Worlds Into a Breakout Season?

Tony_Starks
08-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Not referring to the guys who are already allstars like Durant, Rose, Chauncey etc....

Im looking at guys like Gordon, Westbrook, Rudy Gay, Iggy... Even Tyson Chandler perhaps. Guys who are good but haven't really stepped into the "elite" category yet. Who do you think gets the most benefit?

The major ones I see are Gordon and Rudy Gay. Gordon really has shown he has the range to be a legit 1st option scorer IMO. Also Rudy, who I thought got overpayed, is actually more than just a lane filler! He's got a legit J and 3ball, AND can even rebound and defend when he so chooses......

Hawkeye15
08-31-2010, 07:35 PM
Love. Jefferson has been traded away, the PF position is his. 17-18/13 is probably what to expect

NYKalltheway
08-31-2010, 07:37 PM
Rudy Gay got a max deal, shouldn't he be considered in the same list as Derrick Rose and Chauncey Billups(given his age only)?

Steph Curry btw :D

iFYouSeekAmy
08-31-2010, 07:39 PM
Stephen Curry?

Tony_Starks
08-31-2010, 07:41 PM
Rudy Gay got a max deal, shouldn't he be considered in the same list as Derrick Rose and Chauncey Billups(given his age only)?

Steph Curry btw :D

He got the max but I wouldn't really say thats been a product of his play. I seriously think they did that out of spite since the rest of the league was basically acting like he was unrestricted and saying "no way Memphis max's him out."

But his play in the tourney makes me think he's on that level now though..... I didn't know he had that versatility.

Hawkeye15
08-31-2010, 07:42 PM
yeah, honestly, I think Love, Curry, and Gordon are the ones that take this experience and run with it.

effen5
Love. Jefferson has been traded away, the PF position is his. 17-18/13 is probably what to expect

I think KL as well and the only one.

Tyson Chandler hell no hes old as **** and can't do anything offensively.

Edit:

DUH and Curry

Slimsim
Westbrook But him Playing in Durant shadow he would be over looked by many.

Hawkeye15
08-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Gay shouldn't have even been kept imo. Have we not been waiting for him to grow into an elite player for 3 years now? Fact is he was better in year 2 than he has been in years 3 and 4. At what point do we stop waiting for him to break out, and accept that he doesn't have it mentally?

Baller1
08-31-2010, 07:43 PM
It's got to be Curry and Love. Curry's three point shooting is going to be essential considering Durant is the only other consistent shooter on the team, and then Love is just underrated plain and simple. He has the ability to really thrust this team forward. I want to say Westbrook as well, but I just don't think he's going to get enough chances to prove himself out on the court.

Chacarron
08-31-2010, 07:47 PM
Curry and Gordon.

samevans7
Westbrook and Gordon

Hawkeye15
It's got to be Curry and Love. Curry's three point shooting is going to be essential considering Durant is the only other consistent shooter on the team, and then Love is just underrated plain and simple. He has the ability to really thrust this team forward. I want to say Westbrook as well, but I just don't think he's going to get enough chances to prove himself out on the court.

the thread is asking, which player(s), due to the FIBA tourney this summer, will turn that into a breakout NBA season.....

Westbrook is not underrated by those who understand basketball. I have him and Rose 1a, and 1b, in whichever order at this point. As far as overall PG rankings

Ovratd1up
08-31-2010, 07:48 PM
Kevin Love (average player to very good player), Stephen Curry (good player to star), and even Derrick Rose (star to superstar) will have breakout years.

Kevin Love will get his offense going with more opportunities, and will be first or second in the league in rebounding.

Steph Curry doesn't need an argument here.

Derrick Rose could put himself in contention for top 10 in the league with a good team around him.

Westbrook and Gordon will improve considerably as well.

Tony_Starks
08-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Love Im kinda like ehhhhh not so sure. I thought it was suspect that he couldn't crack Minnys starting lineup already.Now add to that he's having trouble staying on the floor with team USA and someone like LO gets the majority of Center minutes when they lack legit bigs..... I just don't know

Hawkeye15
08-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Love Im kinda like ehhhhh not so sure. I thought it was suspect that he couldn't crack Minnys starting lineup already.Now add to that he's having trouble staying on the floor with team USA and someone like LO gets the majority of Center minutes when they lack legit bigs..... I just don't know

totally, cause Love has been BY FAR our most efficient big man.
Minny was shopping Al all last season essentially, and played him big minutes to raise his trade value. There is no way on earth Love should be playing as little as he has been, when he is whipping out double doubles in less than 15 minutes.
This upcoming season, Love will be the feature PF for the Wolves, and will get numbers that a fan who understands basketball will say, "I told you so". And I will be the leader of that gravy train

Baller1
08-31-2010, 08:00 PM
the thread is asking, which player(s), due to the FIBA tourney this summer, will turn that into a breakout NBA season.....

Westbrook is not underrated by those who understand basketball. I have him and Rose 1a, and 1b, in whichever order at this point. As far as overall PG rankings

Oh wow, I completely misread it. Sorry about that.

In that case, I feel it's Love without a doubt. With Jefferson gone and really no superstar on the team (yet), Love has a chance to really flourish.

Tony_Starks
08-31-2010, 08:04 PM
totally, cause Love has been BY FAR our most efficient big man.
Minny was shopping Al all last season essentially, and played him big minutes to raise his trade value. There is no way on earth Love should be playing as little as he has been, when he is whipping out double doubles in less than 15 minutes.
This upcoming season, Love will be the feature PF for the Wolves, and will get numbers that a fan who understands basketball will say, "I told you so". And I will be the leader of that gravy train

True that but can you give me a good reason why he hasn't had a bigger role in the tourney then? With them being undersized and Chandler being an offensive liability I would think Love should be the man out there.

SA5195
08-31-2010, 08:06 PM
Curry and Love.

Gators123
08-31-2010, 08:07 PM
Love

Hawkeye15
08-31-2010, 08:07 PM
True that but can you give me a good reason why he hasn't had a bigger role in the tourney then? With them being undersized and Chandler being an offensive liability I would think Love should be the man out there.

I would guess length, but I am not in coach K's huddle. But the fact is, Love has been by far our most productive big man. And I assume he will play more minutes as the tourney goes on.

Gators123
08-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Found this stat interesting....

Kevin Love thru age 21: a rebound every 2.7 minutes. Dwight Howard thru age 21: a rebound every 3.1 minutes.

http://twitter.com/BQRMagic/status/22651159346

VinceCarter
08-31-2010, 08:11 PM
Gay shouldn't have even been kept imo. Have we not been waiting for him to grow into an elite player for 3 years now? Fact is he was better in year 2 than he has been in years 3 and 4. At what point do we stop waiting for him to break out, and accept that he doesn't have it mentally?

2 words....Devin Harris.

Hawkeye15
08-31-2010, 08:19 PM
2 words....Devin Harris.

haha, good call dude

Hawkeye15
08-31-2010, 08:20 PM

no doubt Love will win a couple rebounding crowns at the very least

Steelers23_06
08-31-2010, 08:22 PM
ive said gordon on past threads. he has ALOT of potential. plus his played marcus jordan in space jam. jordan saw the flight in him at a young age lol

gwrighter
08-31-2010, 08:22 PM

dwight played 8.3mpg more then love though. i think that negates the difference between the two. with a higher mpg means higher exhaustion lvls and blah blah blah.

the tourny isnt over yet and my rankings might shuffle a bit but for the most part.

most likely to up their game significantly....

eric gordon
kevin love
steph curry

xxcubs22xx
08-31-2010, 08:30 PM
Eric Gordon and Steph Curry.

WolvesJagsOs
08-31-2010, 08:35 PM
EG, Steph, and Klove def. Klove is so underrated.

MiamiWadeCounty
08-31-2010, 08:36 PM
i got rudy gay. he has shined in fiba, although i dont put too much value on that. i think rudy can be a future star and one of the best scorers. he is also very athletic

superkegger
08-31-2010, 08:37 PM
It should be Kevin Love. If he's not the starting PF and getting as many minutes as he can play in Minnestoa this year, something is seriously wrong. He's an incredibly talented guy, and easily the best player on the Wolves.

If I'm Rubio and I saw that game vs. slovenia where he had 13 and 11 in 15 minutes, I'm saying, "You know what, that's enough for me to go there now, this guy is for real." That won't happen, but Love is the real deal. He's an elite rebounder, and one of the best passing big men in the NBA, if not the best passing big man.

Now, Love is going to face some problems as he's going to recieve more defensive attention from opposing NBA teams, since he'll be the best Wolves player on the floor, but still, this year should be a "breakout" year for him. As long as they give him the time and the ball, which as much as I loved Kurt Rambis as an assistant with LA, I'm not totally convinced of his head coaching chops. We'll see, but I have all the faith in the world that Kevin love will be a serious force this year.

dtmagnet
08-31-2010, 08:45 PM
I believe it will be Steph Curry. After watching him play live at the ACC last season I knew he would be a special player and this will be the year that he breaks out.

Raoul Duke
08-31-2010, 09:07 PM
I hope it's Kevin Love. That big whitey really turns my crank.

td0tsfinest
08-31-2010, 09:19 PM
Kevin Love makes the most sense. I've been really surprised with his rebounding when he came into the nba. A lot of people wrote him off, calling him undersized and unatheltic but he's been great so far. Al Jefferson is now gone, leaving Love to solely play that PF spot.

scutch11
08-31-2010, 10:20 PM
westbrook, easy. kid has a dirty crossover and will take the load of off durant

Tony_Starks
08-31-2010, 10:51 PM
It should be Kevin Love. If he's not the starting PF and getting as many minutes as he can play in Minnestoa this year, something is seriously wrong. He's an incredibly talented guy, and easily the best player on the Wolves.

If I'm Rubio and I saw that game vs. slovenia where he had 13 and 11 in 15 minutes, I'm saying, "You know what, that's enough for me to go there now, this guy is for real." That won't happen, but Love is the real deal. He's an elite rebounder, and one of the best passing big men in the NBA, if not the best passing big man.

Now, Love is going to face some problems as he's going to recieve more defensive attention from opposing NBA teams, since he'll be the best Wolves player on the floor, but still, this year should be a "breakout" year for him. As long as they give him the time and the ball, which as much as I loved Kurt Rambis as an assistant with LA, I'm not totally convinced of his head coaching chops. We'll see, but I have all the faith in the world that Kevin love will be a serious force this year.

I would think even if he gets the minutes that staying out of foul trouble may be a problem too. He doesn't exactly move his feet very well, I can see the athletic bigs giving him a problem. His rebounding and range are definitely enough for me to start him.

Its funny though with this guy there's really no middle ground most people are either really high or really down on him. I personally see him carving out a Brad Miller like career. Good enough to start on any team but not going to set the world on fire.

With Westbrook I think this year he should clearly step into the role of the legit 1-2 punch with KD. He's athletic enough, strong enough, has the heart, and his range has improved.

djeller1139
09-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Curry and Kevin Love...I can't believe Tyson Chandler was named but not Curry.

bsamet
09-01-2010, 12:23 AM
No doubt it is Eric Gordon's year to break out. The only thing in his way is Baron hogging the ball and not distributing it to him. Look for him to have a great year

Storch
09-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Westbrook and Rose look good out there, so they get my vote. Durant has already had a breakout season.

Sadds The Gr8
09-01-2010, 01:37 AM
Eric Gordon

xILLN355
09-01-2010, 01:53 AM
Stephan Curry

k24springs
09-01-2010, 02:18 AM
I say its between Westbrook and Gordon. Gordon is one of the most consistent players on Team USA and he's always been a great scorer. He could have a breakout season if B-Diddy will pass him the rock more often so he can do what he does best plus I he is a very good defender. Westbrook will finally be recognized as one of the best PG's in the league along with Rose. I love this guy he's fearless, great defender, has the speed and quickness that you need to succeed in the NBA. If he becomes a better shooter then he and KD are going to cause nightmares for opposing defenses.

DaBUU
09-01-2010, 10:22 AM
KLove will have an AllStar year , bank it.

Meaze_Gibson
09-01-2010, 03:03 PM
I say its between Westbrook and Gordon. Gordon is one of the most consistent players on Team USA and he's always been a great scorer. He could have a breakout season if B-Diddy will pass him the rock more often so he can do what he does best plus I he is a very good defender. Westbrook will finally be recognized as one of the best PG's in the league along with Rose. I love this guy he's fearless, great defender, has the speed and quickness that you need to succeed in the NBA. If he becomes a better shooter then he and KD are going to cause nightmares for opposing defenses.

Word. Westbrook remind me of a young, more athletic GP. His defense and pg skills are levels above Rose's, he just needs to work on consistency. Picking Chauncey's brain along wit Coach K he should be a monster next year.

Sly Guy
09-01-2010, 03:15 PM
rondo.

mikantsass
09-01-2010, 03:47 PM
How can you say that FIBA will lead to a break out year for someone? The FIBA rules are different than the NBA. Hell the court is completely different than the NBA courts.