PDA

View Full Version : #5 PF in The NBA? (Volume 3 Edition)

Mile High Champ
08-31-2010, 09:54 AM
Hey guys, Some of you may remember that for the last two years I have conducted a poll at the end of the season that had PSD users vote for the top 10 players at each position. Its is now that time to vote! I would like to start this up once more considering the NBA season is now over and we can get to this discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 2 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best.

PF Rankings

1) Pau Gasol
2) Dirk Nowitzki
3) Tim Duncan
4) Chris Bosh
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

2009 Off-Season PF Rankings

1) Tim Duncan
2) Kevin Garnett
3) Dirk Nowitzki
4) Chris Bosh
5) Amare Stoudemire
6) Pau Gasol
7) Carlos Boozer
8) Antawn Jamison
9) Rashard Lewis
10) David West

2008 Off-Season PF rankings

1) Tim Duncan
2) Kevin Garnett
3) Amare Stoudemire
4) Chris Bosh
5) Dirk Nowitzki
6) Elton Brand
7) Carlos Boozer
8) Pau Gasol
9) Antawn Jamison
10) David West

Mile High Champ
08-31-2010, 10:00 AM
Added a few more options to the poll, that is probably all the names that will be added..

Purch
08-31-2010, 10:03 AM
Amare easily.

todu82
08-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Amare

Cap'nCrunch40
08-31-2010, 10:14 AM
Garnett because I'm a homer.

Ragun
08-31-2010, 10:17 AM
im going with amare.

Antipod
08-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Stat

ttam68
08-31-2010, 10:25 AM
I'd go KG. Hate the Celtics, but for one game or one season I'd prefer KG to Amare

WolvesJagsOs
08-31-2010, 10:39 AM
I think Klove this year is a top 10 PF.

WolvesJagsOs
08-31-2010, 10:40 AM
But Amare here easily.

97NYer
08-31-2010, 10:41 AM
Amar'e easily.

td0tsfinest
08-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Looks like Amare is running away with this one.

tcav701
08-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Yea this is the point where Amare's offense is far enough ahead to make up for his D.

Avenged
08-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Amare will blow everyone out here.

Hopefully #6 is up later today.

GMEN4EVER
08-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Amar'e by a landslide here. He shoulda been higher than Bosh and Duncan but oh well, i'll live with him being top 5.

Gators123
08-31-2010, 11:35 AM
Amare

pebloemer
08-31-2010, 11:43 AM
Entering the playoffs, I'll take a healthy Garnett.
Entering the regular season, I'll take a healthy Amare.

Since we can't guarantee Garnett's health come playoff time, I have to go with Amare.

Purch
08-31-2010, 11:43 AM
It should be easy. I don't think any other PF right now is up there with Duncan,Gasol,Dirk, Bosh and Amare

PlezPlayDKnicks
08-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Crazy... I thought Dlee had the same impact on the game as Amare on PSD.. A lot of people rather DLee than Amare for the price but DLee( who I am a fan of ) is supposedly interchangeable with Amare...

mikantsass
08-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Celtics fan here.... its def Amare

stejay
08-31-2010, 11:57 AM
Garnett

D-Will4Prez
08-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Amar'e, KG, then Boozer

WolvesJagsOs
08-31-2010, 11:59 AM
like i said earlier, i think you have to put Kevin Love on this list.

Gators123
08-31-2010, 12:01 PM
#6 is going to be close between KG and Boozer.

VinceCarter
08-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Added a few more options to the poll, that is probably all the names that will be added..

No Al Jefferson? This is 2010-2011 where he will play the 4 (his natural position).

Khalifa21
08-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Amar'e with ease.

mikedesi1004
08-31-2010, 12:38 PM
its definitely STAT here

ChiSox219
08-31-2010, 12:44 PM
This should be between Boozer and Josh Smith.

Amare's defensive mistakes outweigh his offensive contributions. He is the main reason the Suns failed to get past the Lakers.

Avenged
08-31-2010, 12:47 PM

Amare's defensive mistakes outweigh his offensive contributions. He is the main reason the Suns failed to get past the Lakers.

I'm with you on that one.

Said this in the other thread as well concerning Boozer and Amare.

I voted for Boozer in #4 simply cause I know Bosh would run away with it, but I truly believe this should be Boozer's spot.

ChiSox219
08-31-2010, 12:48 PM
No Al Jefferson? This is 2010-2011 where he will play the 4 (his natural position).

He isn't top 10 PF based on his prior performance. I think that will change under Jerry Sloan and playing with Deron Williams but we have to wait for that.

Jefferson is an inefficient scorer and bad defender.

23.1 ppg sure looks impressive until you realize AJ averaged 19.5 FGA per game.

To put that in perspective, Kevin Durant scored 7 more points per game averaging 20.3 FGA.

alencp3
08-31-2010, 01:20 PM
B Griffin

Hustlenomics
08-31-2010, 01:24 PM
this is a joke amare should already be off this list by now, with that being said i vote Kevin Garnett

Sportfan
08-31-2010, 01:29 PM
KG is a team leader. Amare is not. I'll take KG here with Boozer next then Amare.

nyanks79
08-31-2010, 01:39 PM

Hes also the reason they got there. Amare had one if not the best second halves last season. And to blame the loss to the champions solely on him isnt fair at all.

Jays Claw
08-31-2010, 01:48 PM
This shouldn't even be close. It's Amar'e, easily.

REALLYYYYY?
08-31-2010, 01:50 PM
there is no way you can say amare is "easily" better than boozer...

Testaverde16
08-31-2010, 01:54 PM
it should go to amare, but I would rather have josh smith on my team then anyone else on that list

Hawkeye15
08-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Amare, due to KG's total decline offensively. KG's defense can no longer overcome his shortcomings on the offensive end at this point. Plus, expect Amare to have a huge role next season, and his numbers, and especially rebound rate (David Lee anyone, since NY refuses to get a center), will all go up, so Amare is due for a beastly statistical season

Storch
08-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Kg

ChiSox219
08-31-2010, 01:57 PM
Amare, due to KG's total decline offensively. KG's defense can no longer overcome his shortcomings on the offensive end at this point. Plus, expect Amare to have a huge role next season, and his numbers, and especially rebound rate (David Lee anyone, since NY refuses to get a center), will all go up, so Amare is due for a beastly statistical season

Amare's offense can't overcome his shortcomings on defense, how is he different from KG?

Purch
08-31-2010, 01:58 PM

Amare is easily better than Boozer. Outside of Passing and rebounding there's no reason I'd want Boozer over Amare.

At least I've seen Amare try before.

Jays Claw
08-31-2010, 01:59 PM

You're right. He isn't "easily" better than him, rather slightly.

REALLYYYYY?
08-31-2010, 02:04 PM
if amare and boozer are making the same amount, which one you want on your team depends on if you most want points, rebounds, blocks, steals, etc. if one is making less money than the other, i would definitely want the one making less money. (but obviously the contract thing should not be a factor in voting.)

Purch
08-31-2010, 02:06 PM
if amare and boozer are making the same amount, which one you want on your team depends on if you most want points, rebounds, blocks, steals, etc. if one is making less money than the other, i would definitely want the one making less money. (but obviously the contract thing should not be a factor in voting.)

Even Boozer's biggest strength which is pick and roll Amare beats him in it too.

But you have a point

bkmikeyy
08-31-2010, 02:06 PM

wonderful input by a Bulls fan...Amare is DEFINITELY better than Boozer

Ill take the guy that averaged 26 and 10 after the all star break...

Hustlenomics
08-31-2010, 02:09 PM

i'd take amare over boozer 7 days a week

Jays Claw
08-31-2010, 02:09 PM
B Griffin

How are you basing your opinion on him being a top 10 PF? He hasn't even played a meaningful game yet.

Hawkeye15
08-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Amare's offense can't overcome his shortcomings on defense, how is he different from KG?

Amare's closing ability and defense off the pick and roll make him not quite as bad as you think. Sure he is butter when defending post position. But KG has declined sharply on the offensive end. And Amare, over the last 35 games last year, was an unstoppable offensive force.
Essentially, the gap is bigger between Amare and KG offensively, than the gap between KG and Amare defensively at this point

PlezPlayDKnicks
08-31-2010, 02:20 PM

Hey hawk, Ny has 3 centers on the roster... Turiaf, Mosgov, Curry... Nothin special but we r hopin they can do the job by committee

Hustlenomics
08-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Amare's closing ability and defense off the pick and roll make him not quite as bad as you think. Sure he is butter when defending post position. But KG has declined sharply on the offensive end. And Amare, over the last 35 games last year, was an unstoppable offensive force.
Essentially, the gap is bigger between Amare and KG offensively, than the gap between KG and Amare defensively at this point

KG can still hit that midrange jumper well and he can take his man to the basket and still get that shot up over them and he's been finishing rondo's dishes you act like he's Matt gieger or something offensively now

ChiSox219
08-31-2010, 02:25 PM

His P&R defense and rotations in general are awful. I've looked at the synergy numbers.

Hawkeye15
08-31-2010, 02:25 PM
KG can still hit that midrange jumper well and he can take his man to the basket and still get that shot up over them and he's been finishing rondo's dishes you act like he's Matt gieger or something offensively now

as a Wolves fan, I am an expert on KG's game, trust me.
And he can still hit the open jumper, and occasionally will drive to the rack. But his offense has regressed to where he is no longer a threat to score 20 a night. Hell, getting 16-17 is good.
For me, watching him get no lift on his fadeaway in the finals made me shake my head and realize how far his offense has fallen. Defensively, he is still awesome. But his offense is a shell of it former self. He is still in the top quarter of the league in efficiency, so his PPP end up looking alright, but he doesn't get many offensive rebounds anymore, and relies almost exclusively on perimeter shots at this point. 70% of his attempts come outside now.

Cano4prez
08-31-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm going to go Boozer tbh

Hawkeye15
08-31-2010, 02:30 PM
His P&R defense and rotations in general are awful. I've looked at the synergy numbers.

his P&R man is way above KG's, and his spot up is also better than KG's. Their overall is not as distant as the average fan would expect. While we all know KG is awesome, Amare is in the top 100 defenders overall when discussing PPP overall. If Amare wasn't so bad in isolation, he would statistically be ranked in the top 50-70 defenders in the NBA.

And offensively, Amare has got at the very least, the same advantage KG does on defense

I am looking at synergy as I write this.

pebloemer
08-31-2010, 02:33 PM

Yah, he really should be an option on the poll. I'm not upset, because there are a few names I'd pick before considering him, but he belongs with other names up there.

Hustlenomics
08-31-2010, 02:37 PM
as a Wolves fan, I am an expert on KG's game, trust me.
And he can still hit the open jumper, and occasionally will drive to the rack. But his offense has regressed to where he is no longer a threat to score 20 a night. Hell, getting 16-17 is good.
For me, watching him get no lift on his fadeaway in the finals made me shake my head and realize how far his offense has fallen. Defensively, he is still awesome. But his offense is a shell of it former self. He is still in the top quarter of the league in efficiency, so his PPP end up looking alright, but he doesn't get many offensive rebounds anymore, and relies almost exclusively on perimeter shots at this point. 70% of his attempts come outside now.
i've been watching all his games as a celtic and he isn't averaging 20 because they're sacrificing their stats for the good of the team even pierce can still average 20 but he isnt now because of their sacrifice, and his knee injury hurt his athleticism I expect him to gain a bit of it for the season and of course he's not going to get as much offensive rebounds when he's around the perimeter to spread the offense and he still gets a good amount of rebounds per game the skills are still there it's not like he faded off into space

ChiSox219
08-31-2010, 02:50 PM
his P&R man is way above KG's, and his spot up is also better than KG's. Their overall is not as distant as the average fan would expect. While we all know KG is awesome, Amare is in the top 100 defenders overall when discussing PPP overall. If Amare wasn't so bad in isolation, he would statistically be ranked in the top 50-70 defenders in the NBA.

And offensively, Amare has got at the very least, the same advantage KG does on defense

I am looking at synergy as I write this.

I don't buy into the fan version of Synergy, not for defense at least. It is very simplified, I'd be interested in seeing the version the NBA teams get.

Like I mentioned, it doesn't account for help defense and that's the most important role for a PF. To say Amare is in the top 100 overall defenders, I just think that's misleading.

masalex1205
08-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Honestly, Im going with Josh Smith here. Putting Amare this high just shows how little weight PSDers put into defense when its half of the game.

Purch
08-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Am I the only one who finds it funny that most of the people who voted Boozer are Bulls fans.

O this is gonna be a funny season :p

ChiSox219
08-31-2010, 03:06 PM
Am I the only one who finds it funny that most of the people who voted Boozer are Bulls fans.

O this is gonna be a funny season :p

Most Bulls fans have preferred Boozer to Amare for almost a year.

JordansBulls
08-31-2010, 03:07 PM
Boozer over Amare because he actually rebounds.

Purch
08-31-2010, 03:15 PM
Most Bulls fans have preferred Boozer to Amare for almost a year.

And most of the Jazz fans preferred Amare to Boozer after actually having Boozer play for them. In fact by December 08 most Jazz fans preferred Paul Millsap.

And lol by rebounding are you guys talking about the guy who's only focus is getting a rebound instead of playing defense?

Chest Rockwell
08-31-2010, 03:32 PM
STAT's got this one locked up! Next poll should be interesting.

ChiSox219
08-31-2010, 03:34 PM
And most of the Jazz fans preferred Amare to Boozer after actually having Boozer play for them. In fact by December 08 most Jazz fans preferred Paul Millsap.

And lol by rebounding are you guys talking about the guy who's only focus is getting a rebound instead of playing defense?

Amare does neither.

And how many times did you guys have Boozer out of position playing center?

Purch
08-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Amare does neither.

At least he gets some blocks though.

:p

Purch
08-31-2010, 03:36 PM
Btw just keep Al Jefferson in the center poll.

DeZonia
08-31-2010, 03:45 PM
i've been watching all his games as a celtic and he isn't averaging 20 because they're sacrificing their stats for the good of the team even pierce can still average 20 but he isnt now because of their sacrifice, and his knee injury hurt his athleticism I expect him to gain a bit of it for the season and of course he's not going to get as much offensive rebounds when he's around the perimeter to spread the offense and he still gets a good amount of rebounds per game the skills are still there it's not like he faded off into space

I totally agree with this.... They are playing team ball which hurts stats..

If rank the way some people do. Chris Bosh will be ranked 10 PF next year with the stats he will have and D wade will be what 4th SG? They have to sacrifice stats for the team, so if you judge KG on his stats then you are just plain stupid.

Gasol averaged 18ppg but he was ranked the #1 PF better then Bosh who averaged 24PPG. I know points aren't everything but its a big part of the rankings.

KG is a very good player offensively and Defensively, maybe he doesn't have the intensity that he did several years ago. (maybe he doesn't dunk every time but that is to save energy you can't dock a players rank because they don't dunk like they used to). BUT if you watch the Finals when KG needs to bring it he DOES! and isn't that when it counts? Something we have never seen with Bosh but have seen in Amare.

Also I don't know personally but I believe KG has very good leadership, BB IQ and teamwork. Something we didn't see from Bosh or Amare.

beasted86
08-31-2010, 03:53 PM
All I have to say is we better see Al Jefferson and Al Horford on the next poll, or this whole "PF" ranking is null and void.

If Duncan is supposedly a "PF" that only "plays Center at times", then the same should apply to the two Al's.

beasted86
08-31-2010, 03:58 PM
Btw just keep Al Jefferson in the center poll.

Al Jefferson should be a PF if Duncan is ranked at PF.

cmellofan15
08-31-2010, 04:11 PM
wow Bosh over Amare?

greek miami hea
08-31-2010, 04:12 PM
i voted for kg...cause amare will definitely be worse in ny than he we was in phoenix cause he iant have steve nash!

Ebbs
08-31-2010, 04:12 PM
Meh should be Boozer here but I guess will see what people think next year without D-will, Nash feeding them the ball.

Kashmir13579
08-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Amar'e by a landslide here. He shoulda been higher than Bosh and Duncan but oh well, i'll live with him being top 5.

can't agree more.... i voted for luis scola. on purpose. :facepalm:

Hawkeye15
08-31-2010, 05:09 PM
I don't buy into the fan version of Synergy, not for defense at least. It is very simplified, I'd be interested in seeing the version the NBA teams get.

Like I mentioned, it doesn't account for help defense and that's the most important role for a PF. To say Amare is in the top 100 overall defenders, I just think that's misleading.

I said statistically. I don't think he is a top 100 defender. But going into this year, is how I am voting. KG has another year of decline coming. While Amare is mid prime

Hawkeye15
08-31-2010, 05:12 PM

haha, when did I make it seem as if he faded off from space. Calling him a shell of his former self is actually not saying that. He was the best player in the world for a couple years. His game is different now. He doesn't have the lift or explosion to average 20 a night for the season anymore, and his knee can't take that abuse.
And his minutes and touches are limited for a reason. His body can't take it. I don't care to talk about what if's concerning a player. You either do, or don't. And he doesn't score with the same efficiency, or prowess he did 4 years ago, and even more important, he couldn't if he had to

Swashcuff
08-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Al Jefferson should be a PF if Duncan is ranked at PF.

THIS!!!!! Al Jefferson is a PF NOT a C.

unleashthebeast
08-31-2010, 05:25 PM
amare kg booze in that order for the next 3

Jewelz0376
08-31-2010, 05:52 PM
I had to go with Amare over Boozer...Neither play D and Boozer rebounds better but Amare makes up for that with how much better at O he is...

Swashcuff
08-31-2010, 06:24 PM
i know i am a bit late on this but i really didnt remember this poll until recently.. its pretty weird to see the difference in the voting in this poll to the voting of this http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514037

Purch
08-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Add Jefferson as a center. .--------------------------------.

RocketsRule
08-31-2010, 06:40 PM
Seems like I agree with the consensus here, Amare pretty easily.

Swashcuff
08-31-2010, 06:45 PM
Add Jefferson as a center. .--------------------------------.

though I disagree with you saying that he is a C I'd entertain the convo for a minute and ask u this question. Where does Al Jefferson rank in the C rankings?

saintl2510
08-31-2010, 06:55 PM
he will have his best season this year

RocketPower2010
08-31-2010, 06:57 PM
Since the Laker fans voted Gasol #1 and Heat fans got Bosh #4, Imma be a homer too and say Luis Scola for #5. It's only fair.

goblazers7
08-31-2010, 07:08 PM
lamarcus lol homer

beasted86
08-31-2010, 07:17 PM
THIS!!!!! Al Jefferson is a PF NOT a C.

I think we should just rank them where they actually play.

Duncan plays as a Center, Al Jefferson plays as a Center, Al Horford plays as a Center, and David Lee plays as a Center. At least for the 2009-10 season, that's where those guys were playing.

All this guess work of where a players natural position is, isn't going to work. Whatever the OP does, I just wish he was consistent more than anything. You can't continue to rank Duncan as a PF when he played Center, then for example rank Monta Ellis as a SG, and Stephen Jackson as a SG just because you feel like it. Consistent logic is all I ask for.

Avenged
08-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Meh should be Boozer here but I guess will see what people think next year without D-will, Nash feeding them the ball.

I went with Boozer as well. I already gave my explanation in the last thread, so I'm not going to give one here considering everyone had their mind made up it was Amare just for his name. Boozer is just extremely underrated, and depending on how both of them do in their respected teams, we can actually see a shift come this time next season.

koreancabbage
08-31-2010, 07:59 PM
Hes also the reason they got there. Amare had one if not the best second halves last season. And to blame the loss to the champions solely on him isnt fair at all.

considering the fact he can't rebound for ****. or play defense for ****.

yea, he didn't do any of those things in the regular season nor the playoffs. And he's on a far inferior team with the NYK. long season for the knicks, even if they squeak into the playoffs

Baller1
08-31-2010, 08:01 PM
Got to be Amare at this point.

BigEasy1323
08-31-2010, 08:21 PM
I will take Boozers rebounding over Stats. Also curious to see how Amares numbers will look without Steve Nash running the pick and roll

Hustlenomics
08-31-2010, 10:41 PM
haha, when did I make it seem as if he faded off from space. Calling him a shell of his former self is actually not saying that. He was the best player in the world for a couple years. His game is different now. He doesn't have the lift or explosion to average 20 a night for the season anymore, and his knee can't take that abuse.
And his minutes and touches are limited for a reason. His body can't take it. I don't care to talk about what if's concerning a player. You either do, or don't. And he doesn't score with the same efficiency, or prowess he did 4 years ago, and even more important, he couldn't if he had to

Gasol said he didnt have the explosion then garnett exploded on him for 25 points the next game.. again the celtics play team ball and he doesnt HAVE to score 20 a night like he did for the wolves and it was worth it beacuse it got him a championship Don't know why you're underestimating him he got heart and that's something he'll never lose. He shot 52 % from the field this season and since you say 70% of his shots are from the perimeter thats pretty damn efficient

ChiSox219
08-31-2010, 11:16 PM
I said statistically. I don't think he is a top 100 defender. But going into this year, is how I am voting. KG has another year of decline coming. While Amare is mid prime

I disagree, Amare isn't a top 100 defender statically.

NBA-GMaster
08-31-2010, 11:55 PM
The Big Ticket..

REALLYYYYY?
09-01-2010, 02:36 AM

The rules say to not vote based on potential.

REALLYYYYY?
09-01-2010, 02:41 AM
"Easily" Keith Bogans "by a landslide."

SupeUnagi
09-01-2010, 03:48 AM
josh smith

barbjake
09-01-2010, 04:26 AM
boozer.
amar'e plays like a girl.

Antipod
09-01-2010, 06:22 AM
Bring on the next, this one is clear.

nycericanguy
09-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Honestly, Im going with Josh Smith here. Putting Amare this high just shows how little weight PSDers put into defense when its half of the game.

its overall game, by that logic you would have Smith ahead of Dirk. Dirk isnt a good defender nor does he rebound or block shots. Which is why Duncan should have been first.

Hawkeye15
09-01-2010, 09:18 AM
The rules say to not vote based on potential.

I vote on who will have the highest effect in the upcoming season.

Raidaz4Life
09-01-2010, 09:21 AM
I say Boozer.... and Amare is overrated.

Hawkeye15
09-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Gasol said he didnt have the explosion then garnett exploded on him for 25 points the next game.. again the celtics play team ball and he doesnt HAVE to score 20 a night like he did for the wolves and it was worth it beacuse it got him a championship Don't know why you're underestimating him he got heart and that's something he'll never lose. He shot 52 % from the field this season and since you say 70% of his shots are from the perimeter thats pretty damn efficient

He can't score 20 ppg anymore for a season. I don't think he can play enough at this point. But he is in the perfect situation at this stage of his career. He simply won't get the minutes or touches to compete statistically against some of the other PF's listed

Hawkeye15
09-01-2010, 10:02 AM
#6 has been put up. Thanks for voting everyone