PDA

View Full Version : The Hawks Do Not Want Horford to Test the Market

Swashcuff
08-30-2010, 01:12 PM
http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2010/08/30/another-hawks-dilemma-pay-jamal-crawford-or-dump-him/?cxntfid=blogs_mark_bradley_blog

The Hawks would prefer that Al Horford doesn't hit the free agent market next summer.

Horford can become a restricted free agent after the 2010-11 season.

"The Hawks would prefer he not test the market because they know full well he'd be coveted from sea to shining sea," wrote the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The issue is that Jamal Crawford is looking for a contract extension and there have been reports that he'll request a trade if he doesn't receive one.

BOSTON617
08-30-2010, 01:38 PM
atlanta is about to take a bad hit because of jj

Wade>You
08-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Horford is the one guy worth paying, IMO. You don't want your star C-F to test free agency.

nanablvd
08-30-2010, 01:48 PM
At the same time, signing him to an contract extention now means they will be paying a little more than they would like to compensate for Horford's option of testing the market. Make sure they are not overpaying him like the Lakers did to Bynum.

Hellcrooner
08-30-2010, 01:49 PM
mmmmm

Ming, Horford, Prkins, Noah, Marc Gasol ,Chandler all expiring after the season.

Is going to be an interesting FA bout Centers.

mikealike305
08-30-2010, 01:54 PM
^ hopfully miami can pick one up :)

pebloemer
08-30-2010, 02:04 PM
mmmmm

Ming, Horford, Prkins, Noah, Marc Gasol ,Chandler all expiring after the season.

I would love to see the Raptor's free up a little more cap space and make a strong push for Gasol/Perkins/Noah/Horford.

I believe many of those names are restricted though. But I expect many highly paid Center's after next off-season.

Hawkeye15
08-30-2010, 02:35 PM
Horford should be held onto, no doubt. But the Hawks need to address the fact that he will not be happy playing C for good. They claim this is the year he plays PF. We will see

Hellcrooner
08-30-2010, 02:39 PM
^ hopfully miami can pick one up :)

Dont count on it UNLESS Bosh wants out and you make a sign and trade.

NOne of them are going to sign for MLEs when they will get offers starting at 7 or 8 million an yer and even next to max offers

DaBUU
08-30-2010, 02:57 PM
atlanta is about to take a bad hit because of jj

cant feel bad for them though, everyone seen this coming becuase of that contract.

unleashthebeast
08-30-2010, 03:09 PM

NOne of them are going to sign for MLEs when they will get offers starting at 7 or 8 million an yer and even next to max offers

well i think we can at least get chandler with the MLE, but i could also see a guy like perkins signing for the full MLE...

Derick713
08-30-2010, 03:15 PM
The Hawks can't really afford both Crawford and Horford. The Hawks will most likely have to shed Marvin William's contract to fit Crawford and Horford under their projected budget. There is a good chance that Crawford and Horford will be able to get more than the Mid-Level Exception. I wonder if the Hawks can afford to match an offer to Horford over that is 11-14 Million a year.

In any case the Hawks will have to let go off Bibby and Williams.

pebloemer
08-30-2010, 03:48 PM
The Hawks can't really afford both Crawford and Horford. The Hawks will most likely have to shed Marvin William's contract to fit Crawford and Horford under their projected budget. There is a good chance that Crawford and Horford will be able to get more than the Mid-Level Exception. I wonder if the Hawks can afford to match an offer to Horford over that is 11-14 Million a year.

In any case the Hawks will have to let go off Bibby and Williams.

Williams and Bibby are definitely the most expendable pieces. I'd imagine teams would have interest in those pieces too. Teague can probably step up soon with Crawford and Johnson handling the ball so much and Horford and Smith are definitely keeper. If they can add some size and depth, they could still be a perennial playoff team after loses Williams and Bibby.

xILLN355
08-30-2010, 03:56 PM
horford S&T to orlando

Antipod
08-30-2010, 04:05 PM
They should keep him.

PrettyBoyJ
08-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Horford should be held onto, no doubt. But the Hawks need to address the fact that he will not be happy playing C for good. They claim this is the year he plays PF. We will see

That would be good.. but What about Josh Smith?..

JDMac80
08-30-2010, 04:35 PM
horford to NJ, favors+ to DEN for melo...i like that

LA_Raiders
08-30-2010, 04:36 PM
They Need to move him to PF. They are an undersize team with him at the 5.

Swashcuff
08-30-2010, 05:05 PM
They Need to move him to PF. They are an undersize team with him at the 5.

thats why they are going to start him at 4....

plus what sense would that make trading him for a PF? How would that make them any better/bigger?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-30-2010, 05:24 PM
bad contracts will be piling up in Atlanta

jackdawson
08-30-2010, 05:53 PM

Not other team will be able to offer what Miami can offer either--come start on a team that contains 3 superstars.

gwrighter
08-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Not other team will be able to offer what Miami can offer either--come start on a team that contains 3 superstars.

someone will offer enough money to sway that train of thought. C.R.E.A.M.

beasted86
08-30-2010, 06:09 PM
mmmmm

+ Oden + Dalembert + Przybilla + D. Jordan

beasted86
08-30-2010, 06:19 PM

From who?

There are only a handful of teams that will have cap space next summer. There are maybe 8-9 teams, and some have Centers already, and others have players they need to re-sign (IE: Grizzlies - Gasol, Thunder - Green, etc.)

I'm not ruling out their native teams re-signing them, but I am for sure ruling out guys like Dalembert, Chandler, etc.. from getting $8M+ from a team with cap space.

Khalifa21
08-30-2010, 06:21 PM
They need to re-sign him but JJ's contract will definitely come back to haunt them.

Reversed86Curse
08-30-2010, 06:47 PM
well i think we can at least get chandler with the MLE, but i could also see a guy like perkins signing for the full MLE...

:laugh: good one

blazerman
08-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Better to sign him now and not have the distraction of free agency and all the rumors swirling around his name, plus he's worht the risk.

*Silver&Black*
08-30-2010, 07:08 PM
bad contracts will be piling up in Atlanta

So Horford would be a bad contract?:confused: The only "bad" contract you can make a case for is Joe (whom we needed to keep). So I don't know where you get your logic on this situation.

Jewelz0376
08-30-2010, 07:09 PM
If I were him I'd hold off unless the hawks offer him a max extension, because he can get some serious money in the off season... I'll bet anything some1 will throw a max contract at him or close to it...

cali72888
08-30-2010, 07:33 PM

Yea Miami is also the only team that he could go to and be known as a sell out the rest of his career like Labron James, Wade, and Bosh.

The big 3 in Miami are the most hated people in the NBA, they are not only watering down basketball, but ruining the NBA all together.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-31-2010, 04:30 AM
So Horford would be a bad contract?:confused: The only "bad" contract you can make a case for is Joe (whom we needed to keep). So I don't know where you get your logic on this situation.

I'm talking about Crawford, if they overpay him, which they'll probably do

And if Horford tests the FA market and they want to keep they definetly have to overpay him.

Mochalman
08-31-2010, 04:37 AM
ATL needs to trade Josh Smith for a viable center and move horford back to his natural PF position. If they cant move Smith, put him at SF. ATL cant continue to use their top players out of their positions.

If he tests the market, I would love him to come to SA even though Spurs are jam-packed on cap.

JOSKOMANG4
08-31-2010, 09:51 AM
Any takers?

- Blazers acquire SF Josh Smith, PG M.Bibby, & 2 future 2nd rd picks from Hawks in exchanged for C G.Oden, PG A.Miller, & SF N.Batum

Hawks lineup:

C: Zaza Pachulia/G.Oden
PF: Al Horford/Josh Powell
SF: Marvin Williams/N.Batum/Maurice Evans
SG: Joe Johnson/Jamal Crawford/Jordan Crawford
PG: A.Miller/Jeff Teague

then Blazers acquire Taj Gibson, Bulls acquire SG/PG T.Douglass & Knicks 2011 2nd rd pick, & Knicks acquire R.Fernandez.

Blazers:

C: Marcus Camby/Joel Pryzbilla
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge/Taj Gibson/Jeff Pendergraph
SF: Josh Smith/Luke Babbitt/Dante Cunningham
SG: Brandon Roy/Wesley Matthews/Elliot Williams
PG: M.Bibby/Jerryd Bayless/^Patrick Mills/Armon Johnson

pebloemer
08-31-2010, 09:58 AM
ATL needs to trade Josh Smith for a viable center and move horford back to his natural PF position. If they cant move Smith, put him at SF. ATL cant continue to use their top players out of their positions.

I'd like to see them try Smith at SF and Horford at PF, but they definitely need that C first. If Smith can't work at SF, I'd trade him for the best young C or young PG possible. So I pretty much agree - with a slight variation.

RCarlson85
08-31-2010, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't want him to become a free agent either. He is one of the best young centers in the game. He would attract all kinds of interest. I know I would love him on the Heat, that's for sure. The problem for the Hawks is that they spent too much money on Joe Johnson. They might not be able to keep their other core players.

Hellcrooner
08-31-2010, 10:30 AM
Any takers?

- Blazers acquire SF Josh Smith, PG M.Bibby, & 2 future 2nd rd picks from Hawks in exchanged for C G.Oden, PG A.Miller, & SF N.Batum

Hawks lineup:

then Blazers acquire Taj Gibson, Bulls acquire SG/PG T.Douglass & Knicks 2011 2nd rd pick, & Knicks acquire R.Fernandez.

Blazers:

blaze5s get raped.

losing odens bad health for josh smith is one thing that can be done.

but adding BATUM is tooooooo wayyyyy toooooo much.

that kid is good as in , he should be the second option over aldrige right NOW.

*Silver&Black*
08-31-2010, 01:54 PM
Any takers?

Hawks lineup:

Blazers:

Pass.