PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Sign Kennedy - More Depth and Competition at Forward

Redfish
08-30-2010, 11:28 AM
hmm....

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/Kennedy-Signs-Deal-with-Rangers-101796728.html

bsi
08-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Interesting, I like this idea as I was wondering what was taking so long for him to sign somewhere however where's everyone gonna play? lol

Redfish
08-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Comments from the Buffalo fanbase indicate he played 3rd line center, and out of position, for a good chunk of last season, and is a natural left winger with good two-way skills. His stats in his first season last year were sufficient enough to suggest he may have reasonable upside, however, left wing is the position the Rangers are strongest at; particularly if Prospal ends up being 2nd or 3rd line left wing.

I'm all for the added competition at forward this year -- could be another statement from management to the players that this is a wide open, competitive camp.

However, I could also easily envision this being a move which is anticipation of a possible trade. This is only speculation on my part but Avery, Grachev, and Kennedy may all be vying for the 4th line left wing position.

Alternatively, this depth at left wing gives Tortorella the nice option of playing Prospal at #1 center position in case White and Christenson don't prove worthy of centering your best offensive threats (Gaborik and Frolov).

S.S-77
08-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Don't know much about tim kennedy. All I know is that he was cut from buffalo about a month ago. I'm not to sure about this, another player who needs to prove a point. All these signing could be really good or blow up in our faces. What position does he play?

nyr1980
08-30-2010, 01:08 PM
So among the left wingers (or potential left wingers) thats Frolov, Dubinksy, Kennedy, Avery, Grachev, Boogard, Prospal- maybe seven guys for 4 spots. I seriously hope that there is a trade coming.

nyr1980
08-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Oops, forgot MZA- thats 8 just at left wintg. Woow this team has a ton of forwards now to bring to camp. Gaborik, Callahan, Dubinksy, Drury, Prospal, Frolov, Avery, Anisimov, Boogard, Boyle, Prust, White, Kennedy, Stepan, Grachev, MZA, Christensen. I think I got them all. Thats 17 forwards for 12 starting jobs, and maybe they carry 2 extras.

Also most everyone in that group is a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th liner. There are enough pieces there to put a deal together.

dashripdot
08-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Competition would be a good thing if the competition gave rise to a talented player. Neither Kennedy nor White are even as talented as Christensen at center or Prospal or Dubinsky at LW.

Foge7
08-30-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm thinking a trade has to be done now, otherwise we'll end up having a lot of NHL quality talent buried in Hartford or released, i'd love to see us bring in Bobby Ryan or a Getzlaf/Richards type center.

nyr1980
08-30-2010, 01:25 PM
I love the idea of depth and competition. Really would help clear things up though if we had that clear cut top centerman.

nyrlamonte
08-30-2010, 01:59 PM
A trade has to be in the works here. There really isn't any logic in bringing in so many forwards when Sather and Torts want to give our large group of talented prospects an opportunity to crack the roster. From a common sense standpoint, Tim Kennedy is not going to help this team...we have about 3 or 4 Tim Kennedys already on this team. This tells me Sather has something up his sleeve, and the trades he has made over the last few years have just about always favored the Rangers. No idea what could come next but it finally puts a little more excitement into this year's offseason.

redwhiteandblue
08-30-2010, 02:18 PM
It's all about creating competition at Camp. They're taking another step at getting the most out of these guys they can. I bet the ultimate plan they have is to really try and get the likes of MZA, Stepan, Grachev and McD in the lineup but they want them to earn it. It's all but Grachev's first Camp, they don't want them coming in thinking they'll be waltzing their way onto Broadway and right into the lineup.

Probably a big reason Kennedy was given a one-way contract. He doesn't make it, so what we waive him and he gets a shot elsewhere. We probably don't have much faith he makes it but on the flip side he shows up and forces our hand.

nyrlamonte
08-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Part of me does think it was a move to jump the competition in training camp. I just don't think it will be too successful during the regular season. After all, Torts' grueling training camp last year led to a season of inconsisten effort...Oh well, the move certainly can't hurt!

SLY WILLIAMS
08-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Kennedy agrees to terms with Rangers

While many of my Rangersí beat brethren are at the practice facility today as the countdown to the start of training camp on Sept. 17 really gets underway, I have pulled Giantsí backup duty today so Iím in the shadow of the vanilla-named (for now) New Meadowlands Stadium. However, I pulled off the impressive feat (not really) of tweeting about the Rangers agreeing to terms with ex-Sabres forward Tim Kennedy while, at the same time, participating in a media scrum around Giants safety Deon Grant.

On the surface, signing Kennedy, 24, who was waived by the Sabres on Aug. 2, four days after he was awarded a $1 million salary in arbitration, and eventually bought out, seems like a curious move. He played left wing in Buffalo and the Rangers already have Sean Avery, Derek Boogaard, Brandon Dubinsky, Alex Frolov and Vinny Prospal on the roster.

However, the Rangers are projecting Kennedy more as a center so heíll get a chance to earn a roster spot in the middle. As an organization, the Rangersí greatest depth need is at center. This is sort of like pitching, the Rangers figure they cannot have enough centers. Right now, if Kennedy is included, he joins Erik Christensen, Todd White, Chris Drury (who could be moved to the wing), Brian Boyle (ditto), Artem Anisimov and possibly Prospal as center candidates.

But the real curious move is not the Rangers signing Kennedy but why he was available in the first place. The Sabres waived him after he was awarded a raise from $635,000 following a rookie season which saw him compile 10 goals and 16 assists in 78 games.

Given that the Rangers are tight against the salary cap - they are about $2 million over the $59.4 million ceiling before adding Kennedy while still needing to re-sign restricted free agent defenseman Marc Staal - this move could be a prelude to a trade or a sure sign that Wade Redden will be earning his $6.5 million in Hartford (AHL). Or both.

The Buffalo News is reporting Kennedy agreed to a one-year, one-way deal worth $550,000. But Kennedy also receives $333,333 from the Sabres as a result of the buyout.http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

Isca92
08-30-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm thinking there has to be a trade in the works, unless management already feels that the forward prospects need another year. IMO, if a trade is in the works based on the players picked up and who other teams want, its Dubi.

nyr1980
08-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Ive said all along, while I dont love the idea of trading Dubi, Id be willing to move him in a package for a number 1 center based on a couple of factors. First, I dont think his ceiling is above that of 25 goals and 55-60 points, good numbers, but not 1st line numbers. Secondly, he's going to be rfa again next year and you have to know he's going to want a lot of money, probably more than he's worth. Finally, there are more than enough prospects in the organization and more than enough players like dubinsky out there to where you could find a suitable replacement for him.

jetsfan89
08-30-2010, 04:54 PM
maybe they might use kennedy as a center

in that case say goodbye to brian boyle

Isca92
08-30-2010, 04:59 PM
I think Boyle is out before this signing.

nyr1980
08-30-2010, 05:02 PM
They have enough 2nd and 3rd line centermen on this team. I do believe Slats has been jockeying position for a move all offseason and you know Torts has been lobbying hard for a big time centerman and he'll likely want him more now than at mid-season or at the deadline. There's enough depth now what with the acquisitions of White, MZA, Frolov, Kennedy, plus the already present Avery, Callahan, Prospal, and with Grachev and Stepan being in camp with a serious shot at making the team to where you can trade Dubinsky.

I say stop ****ing off and pull the trigger. Move Dubi, Roszival and a draft pick to Dallas for Richards and maybe a 3rd rounder and your roster looks better than it has amongst the forward group than it has in years.

mmmrevolver93
08-30-2010, 05:57 PM
They have enough 2nd and 3rd line centermen on this team. I do believe Slats has been jockeying position for a move all offseason and you know Torts has been lobbying hard for a big time centerman and he'll likely want him more now than at mid-season or at the deadline. There's enough depth now what with the acquisitions of White, MZA, Frolov, Kennedy, plus the already present Avery, Callahan, Prospal, and with Grachev and Stepan being in camp with a serious shot at making the team to where you can trade Dubinsky.

I say stop ****ing off and pull the trigger. Move Dubi, Roszival and a draft pick to Dallas for Richards and maybe a 3rd rounder and your roster looks better than it has amongst the forward group than it has in years.

i agree with you, all of these depth signing are leading up to a trade, for who idk.. hopefully richards but there are a number of possibilities.

Redfish
08-30-2010, 06:26 PM

There is no need to trade Dubinsky for a top line center, IF Sather can exert some patience. Over the course of the next 12 months, the contract dollars currently consumed by either Roszival (most likely) or Drury can be allocated to a top line, legit #1 center. In fact, there is some chance that both of these contracts will be converted into two new, much more productive players via trade.

Sather just needs to show patience over the next year, rather than trade our younger players that many teams seem to want.

SLY WILLIAMS
08-30-2010, 06:35 PM
http://twitter.com/stevezipay

Overflowing with forwards, I suspect Rangers trade sometime during camp

nyr1980
08-30-2010, 08:53 PM
There is no need to trade Dubinsky for a top line center, IF Sather can exert some patience. Over the course of the next 12 months, the contract dollars currently consumed by either Roszival (most likely) or Drury can be allocated to a top line, legit #1 center. In fact, there is some chance that both of these contracts will be converted into two new, much more productive players via trade.

Sather just needs to show patience over the next year, rather than trade our younger players that many teams seem to want.

I disagree with that being a possible outcome. I definitely see your line of thinking, I just feel that it is a wishful one.
On Roszival, the only way they are parlaying him into a high-end center is in a package, probably with a younger player off the roster, draft pick, prospect along with- some type of combination out of that grouping. I cant see him leaving without whoevver takes him getting something else as the big piece they receive in the deal.

As for Drury, he is no way going to waive that full NMC until the trade dealine of 2011-2012- if he'll even do it at all. He loves it here, it is home to him. I could see him in February of 2012, when he's got a few months left on his deal and if the Rangers are out of the playoff hunt, some contender wants a veteran centerman with proven playoff scoring, good defense/PKing skills, and solid in the faceoff circle on his resume, agreeing to be moved short-term to take a shot at a quick and easy Cup ring. But thats the only way, IMO, that he's not a Ranger before his contract is up. And forget about him being tradeed this year as he's actually going to MAKE $8 million. Even for part of the year, no team will want to be on the hook for a portion of that, plus the $5 million he'll be owed next season and all carrying a $7.05 mill cap hit.

S.S-77
08-30-2010, 08:55 PM
I really don't understand why they signed him. There has to be a trade invovled hear! This is the one signing that I don't agree with!

Rangers in 7
08-30-2010, 10:12 PM
I really don't understand why they signed him. There has to be a trade invovled hear! This is the one signing that I don't agree with!

how can you not agree with this signing?! hes 23, he was a rookie last year and has great hands....idk what your talking about, in my personal opinion he should be playing on this team and he has upside

Redfish
08-30-2010, 10:23 PM
It seems like a good signing; low cap hit for a 2nd year player that had a good rookie season....and his coach last year admitted he played Kennedy out of position for most of the season at center, when he is really a left wing. It seems like a low/no risk signing for a player that may very well be expected to make the team this year.

At a minimum, though, it is an odd signing, in that the forward position, particularly on the 3rd and 4th line, is already crowded. It implies there may be other personnel moves planned.

commonsense12
08-30-2010, 11:44 PM
Love the signing for a few reasons.

1st he is young
2nd he is dirt cheap
3rd it means good bye to Boyle. No way he makes the team with all the competition.

Still dont know why we have so many forwards though. Could be a trade, but who would do a 2 for 1 and we get the better player? Could also mean White wont make the team and with Reddens demotion and a Staal signing we are pretty much at the cap with his replacements salary. Could be an interesting few days or and interesting camp.

BTW why are some people so fast to get rid of Dubi? The kid will score 20-30 goals prob 25ish. plays with heart and is cheap. Yes he is a RFA at the end of the year but again how much can he really demand? Is some one going to bid over 4 mill for him? NOPE because we would take the draft choices and run. RFA have almost NO LEVERAGE. So whats he going to sign for 3 mill? I will sign players all day long for 3 mill if they score 25 goals and plays hard like he does. With 4 lines, each player making 3 mill putting in 25 goals would be 300 goals (75 goals per line x 4 lines at 9 mill each = 36 mill). So we would have 24 mill left 8 mill for hank and a backup and 16 mill for the defense. Wow we are winning the cup lol.

nyr1980
08-31-2010, 12:47 AM
Im not "quick" to trade Dubinsky, I just feel that he can be played via trade into a better player then I feel he'll ever be. That said, I've no problem with them keeping him around. But the notion that he's got a lot of development left is ridiculous- he's played in over 250 regular and postseason games and is 24- his development curve is basically over IMO. At 24, after that many games, you typically can look at a player and what they've done and you know what you have got. I agree on the 25 goal point- if you consider last season, had he not been injured, he puts upp approximately 25 goals and 50-55 points. Those are solid numbers, but no the numbers you want out of a first liner.

My point on it all is that there are already a number of guys established with this team like Drury, Callahan, Anisimov, Prospal etc. who can or recently have put up numbers in that range and guys like Stepan and Grachev who appear to be capable of those numbers. Moreover, the league has no shortage of players like that, so it is a relatively easy to find piece.

And you are dreaming if you think Dubinsky will only want 3 mil per off a good season. He'll want double his current money or better.

commonsense12
08-31-2010, 01:30 AM
Im not "quick" to trade Dubinsky, I just feel that he can be played via trade into a better player then I feel he'll ever be. That said, I've no problem with them keeping him around. But the notion that he's got a lot of development left is ridiculous- he's played in over 250 regular and postseason games and is 24- his development curve is basically over IMO. At 24, after that many games, you typically can look at a player and what they've done and you know what you have got. I agree on the 25 goal point- if you consider last season, had he not been injured, he puts upp approximately 25 goals and 50-55 points. Those are solid numbers, but no the numbers you want out of a first liner.

My point on it all is that there are already a number of guys established with this team like Drury, Callahan, Anisimov, Prospal etc. who can or recently have put up numbers in that range and guys like Stepan and Grachev who appear to be capable of those numbers. Moreover, the league has no shortage of players like that, so it is a relatively easy to find piece.

And you are dreaming if you think Dubinsky will only want 3 mil per off a good season. He'll want double his current money or better.

I wasnt singling you out. I meant it as a bunch of people in different threads have been so quick to trade him.

I dont think at 24 his learning curve is over. If you think that then Staal's curve is also over because he turns 24 in a few months and has played in the same number of games.

I also dont think Dubi is a 1st line player, but he makes a great 2nd line player. He put him, cally and a talented LW or C (depending on were dubi plays) and you have a line that plays with energy that can give you 80-90 goals a year. I will take that in a heart beat.

In terms of getting that production from somewhere else. Cally prob has the best chance to score 25. Drury is not giving you 25 goals anymore, Prospal hasnt hit 25 goals in 5 yrs and AA had 12 last year so him doubling his output is asking alot. Its not out of the question but its asking a lot. Plus you cant say Grachev and Stephan will hit 25 when players like Stamkos did not hit 25 goals their first year. You are way over rating our prospects. If they scored 20 i would be amazed.

I think you are also overvaluing FA's. Dubi get 4 mill+ a year Really? Frolov and Hornqvist only got 3 mill a year and they either are or were 30 goal scorers. Plus he will only be restricted. He can try all he wants he wont get 4 mill+. I know its Sather but he only seems to overbid on UFA so i cant imagine that happening.

dashripdot
08-31-2010, 07:53 AM
It seems like a good signing; low cap hit for a 2nd year player that had a good rookie season....and his coach last year admitted he played Kennedy out of position for most of the season at center, when he is really a left wing. It seems like a low/no risk signing for a player that may very well be expected to make the team this year.

At a minimum, though, it is an odd signing, in that the forward position, particularly on the 3rd and 4th line, is already crowded. It implies there may be other personnel moves planned.

But it appears the Rangers want him to play center or, at least, both center and LW. LW is where they already have most of their forwards. Only Gaborik, Callahan and MZA play RW (and Drury might be moved there if MZA doesn't make the club or no trades net them a RW). It's possible this signals the end of Avery, which Tortorella has wanted all along (and, quite frankly, wouldn't be a bad thing, but I don't see another team wanting him).

commonsense12
08-31-2010, 04:49 PM
But it appears the Rangers want him to play center or, at least, both center and LW. LW is where they already have most of their forwards. Only Gaborik, Callahan and MZA play RW (and Drury might be moved there if MZA doesn't make the club or no trades net them a RW). It's possible this signals the end of Avery, which Tortorella has wanted all along (and, quite frankly, wouldn't be a bad thing, but I don't see another team wanting him).

I still dont know about the Avery thing. when he is getting under others skin he makes teams take stupid penalties. With more scoring on this team then last year, that could really stand out. He does have to stop taking stupid penalties himself but i would still keep him on the team to be honest. Him on the checking line wouldnt be a bad thing either. Maybe roll out lines like this:

Frolov Prospal Gabs
Dubi AA Cally
MZA Christ Drury
Avery Prust Boogs

letsgorangers27
08-31-2010, 05:08 PM
maybe they might use kennedy as a center

in that case say goodbye to brian boyle

I think Boyle is out before this signing.
agree w/ both of you hopefully brian "the brow" boyle is gone

S.S-77
08-31-2010, 05:10 PM
how can you not agree with this signing?! hes 23, he was a rookie last year and has great hands....idk what your talking about, in my personal opinion he should be playing on this team and he has upside

The reason why I said that was because we have more then enough 3rd line players who are young and if there is not a trade in the mix here I don't like this signing and by the way he is only 5 9". I know a couple of players that you can throw at me but I don't care. Why spend money on something you don't need.

commonsense12
08-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Hey i just looked at the stat difference between AA and Kennedy and its pretty funny they are almost exact.

AA 78 gp 10 g 16a 26pts -3 50pim 98shots 10.2 1 ppg 1 ppa 3 gwg 12:57 atoi 38:51
TK 82 gp 12 g 16a 28pts -2 32pim 124shots 9.7 1 ppg 1 ppa 2 gwg 12:54 atoi 37:47

So AA shoots more and scored 2 more goals and Kennedy took a few more penalties and scored 1 more game winning goal. Interesting to say the least

nyr1980
08-31-2010, 07:58 PM
I wasnt singling you out. I meant it as a bunch of people in different threads have been so quick to trade him.

I dont think at 24 his learning curve is over. If you think that then Staal's curve is also over because he turns 24 in a few months and has played in the same number of games.

I also dont think Dubi is a 1st line player, but he makes a great 2nd line player. He put him, cally and a talented LW or C (depending on were dubi plays) and you have a line that plays with energy that can give you 80-90 goals a year. I will take that in a heart beat.

In terms of getting that production from somewhere else. Cally prob has the best chance to score 25. Drury is not giving you 25 goals anymore, Prospal hasnt hit 25 goals in 5 yrs and AA had 12 last year so him doubling his output is asking alot. Its not out of the question but its asking a lot. Plus you cant say Grachev and Stephan will hit 25 when players like Stamkos did not hit 25 goals their first year. You are way over rating our prospects. If they scored 20 i would be amazed.

I think you are also overvaluing FA's. Dubi get 4 mill+ a year Really? Frolov and Hornqvist only got 3 mill a year and they either are or were 30 goal scorers. Plus he will only be restricted. He can try all he wants he wont get 4 mill+. I know its Sather but he only seems to overbid on UFA so i cant imagine that happening.

Im not saying Dubi will GET 4 mil, but I think he's going to ASK for at least 3.5 mil per year. The other guys that you mentioned as for the amount of money are coming off a down year and only had one good season so far respectively and are not as complete players as Dubinsky.

As for the production, Dubi has yet to hit 25 goals, and the learning curve is shorter for forwards than it is for defenseman. I dont see stepan or grachev getting 25, but I dont think it is a reach to think that Anisimov might get 20+ in his second year with more ice time or that Drury bounces back (which IMO he will) and has 20+ this year. But youre forgetting that if he's traded for a top line centerman, than that replaces Dubinsky's production right there. Plus we did not have frolov last year, and while I dont think you'll see Prospal have nother really good season as he historically hasnt doen it back to back, you still have MZA, who I think will make the team and do well, and all these other guys like White and Kennedy who can chip in some goals.

My overall point is that there is simply enough depth now, to where if you have the opportunity to acquire the piece that you most need, and Dubinsky has to be included in the deal, it should be a deal that you should make.

I know you werent singling me out dude, but I do totally bring it up a lot. I have absolutely no problem holding onto him and I think that he should only be traded in a deal that brings in the centerman they so desparately need.

commonsense12
08-31-2010, 10:26 PM
Im not saying Dubi will GET 4 mil, but I think he's going to ASK for at least 3.5 mil per year. The other guys that you mentioned as for the amount of money are coming off a down year and only had one good season so far respectively and are not as complete players as Dubinsky.

As for the production, Dubi has yet to hit 25 goals, and the learning curve is shorter for forwards than it is for defenseman. I dont see stepan or grachev getting 25, but I dont think it is a reach to think that Anisimov might get 20+ in his second year with more ice time or that Drury bounces back (which IMO he will) and has 20+ this year. But youre forgetting that if he's traded for a top line centerman, than that replaces Dubinsky's production right there. Plus we did not have frolov last year, and while I dont think you'll see Prospal have nother really good season as he historically hasnt doen it back to back, you still have MZA, who I think will make the team and do well, and all these other guys like White and Kennedy who can chip in some goals.

My overall point is that there is simply enough depth now, to where if you have the opportunity to acquire the piece that you most need, and Dubinsky has to be included in the deal, it should be a deal that you should make.

I know you werent singling me out dude, but I do totally bring it up a lot. I have absolutely no problem holding onto him and I think that he should only be traded in a deal that brings in the centerman they so desparately need.

I agree. i just dont agree with the learning curve for forwards. Martin St. Louis didnt come into his own till like 28 or 29. He played for a few seasons and didnt do much til then then exploded. I think what you are maybe seeing is that teams give up on prospects around that age and if they dont do it by then they are usually gone. Dubi has performed and he could def kick it up a notch.

All that being said If dubi scores 30 goals and he asks for 3.5 then we give him 3 mill. He is restricted so he does not have much leverage if someone offers him more then i wont have a problem collecting all those draft choices. 3 mill for a 30 goal scorer is perfect. If he scores less then that he is getting less then 3 mill. Its still not a bad price and i think teams that have a top line center will not trade for Dubi straight up if he is not that guy. They would be looking for prospects who could get better. So it would take Dubi+prospects and that is a stiff price. Unless they wanted to shed salary, which we can not take on. I just dont think we should be in a rush to trade one of our young core unless the deal is crazy good.

BTW Hornqvist scored 30 last year that is not a down year. On top of that frolov scored 35 not to long ago. I dont think anyone would argue that Frolov has a higher ceiling then Dubi.

Isca92
09-01-2010, 12:44 AM
I would trade Dubi if the trade is right but not trade him just to trade him. Part of the decision would be what role is Dubi expected to play and what role that player he is being traded for will bring. If Dubi is a second line wing and were getting a real first line center then I have no problem (Dubi/Richards rumor). If were trading Dubi to get a 30+ goal scorer (someone maybe less grind more scoring), then I'd do it. If were not getting someone to carry more of the line work load then Dubi then no (getting a draft pick in return).

I think Dubi will have more of a Graves type career in regard to his STATS where he may have one great year but most of the rest are marginal. Graves put up 52, but only 3 other times broke 30. Yes Dubi does bring other stuff to the table but he brings that others on the team bring. He has a high trade value, so if he can bring back a more important role to the team then I'd do it.