PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding vs Playing Best Players

Meaze_Gibson
08-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Over the last couple of years, the NBA General managers have made it an issue to prefer rebuilding (i.e trading away best players or benching good players) for rookies, draft picks and other potential players, thinking that this rebuilt squad will lead them to a chip As we look back though, The teams that won chips in the last decade, have not been gutted completely and brought back to life. Now to move a bad contract is one thing, but to trade or bench a fully capable player hurts that team and the nba in general.

The sad thing is, is that players know this. they know that when they get enter age 30, their value to the team has diminished, regardless of stats or their commitment to the organization. They know that the preference is to blow up the squad rather than add a few new pieces and aim for the best. They know that no matter how loyal they can be to an organization, the interest in a young, unproven prospect can break company promises and cause a player to move his family after 7-10 yrs in one location.

With that said, if you were a general manager, Do you trade star and rebuild, (Presti, Kahn) or just add pieces (Morey, Cuban). Do you bench or do you Favre it on out (NBA version though)

iFYouSeekAmy
08-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Interesting-

it all comes down to what the team's current status is. If it's a playoff-locked team, I'd keep it. If it WAS winning, then had a 2-3 year playoff drought, i'd rebuild. Fans want winning basketball, preferably playoff or championship contending basketball.

Although, rebuilding correctly would also be a great choice. Look at the Thunder; young, and maybe championship contenders. Bad rebuilding would be the Warriors; they've been trying to rebuild every year. Right now, most of their young, talented prospects are gone. Interesting topic though, it can go either way.

llemon
08-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Each situation is different, depending on FO, player personnel, draft picks and what players from other teams (and which teams) are available.

Hawkeye15
08-29-2010, 09:26 PM
hmm. I am interested to the responses here. Could be a great thread

Avenged
08-29-2010, 09:32 PM
As a Lakers standpoint, even when the Lakers were doomed with failure a couple seasons ago, they still stuck with Kobe despite his trade demands.

Some organizations are loyal to their players and others are not. It really depends on how good the player is/success he's brought to the team/ and yes even age. (like you mentioned)

Take a player like Duncan for example, brought so much success to San Antonio and their organization and is now getting up there in age. The Spurs continue to remain loyal to him and most likely will until the end of his career by the looks of it.

If I was a GM though, the route I would go to would depend on the talent of my star player. If he's top 10 in the league, I stick with him and build around him. But if my "star player" is someone who cannot lead my team to a title, i'd trade the guy looking for a package deal.

knicksfan23
08-29-2010, 09:39 PM
okc?

MrfadeawayJB
08-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Well it kind of depends on the market your in. If you are in a market that really loves its basketball (NY, LA, CHI, or others..) they need to be a winning team that is on the uptick. Doesent really matter if they have "Superstar" players, just a solid team that wins, but superstars always help. other cities will only engage the team if they win..fair-weathered fans. I would rebuild if i was a team like Atlanta, but not fully rebuild...they just have too many similar players, and they could easily be up there with the elites in the east if they traded away some assets at the wing, for a proven and solid big man...so yeah depends on the situation and city

arkanian215
08-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Whatever my boss wants me to do. My personal preference is to do a complete blowup rather than a slow one. That way the chance of me getting the best pieces for the future is much higher. I would trade away anyone worth anything to another team that I don't see in my team's future. Grab a couple of solid vets to show the youngins the ropes and set up a better environment for them. Give the young ones as much PT as possible but don't throw them to the wolves if they're not remotely ready for big minutes against legit NBA players.

samevans7
08-29-2010, 09:51 PM
it depends... like now detroit is rebuilding, bc they got rid of AI (which they shouldnt had traded for, they shoulda kept billups)

SEA/OKC has good rebuilding. got rid of Ray, Lewis, and now has a playoff contending team

and then theres GS. It just shows that their FO is awful when u pick Ekpe Udoh over Greg Monroe

masalex1205
08-29-2010, 10:16 PM
As a Lakers standpoint, even when the Lakers were doomed with failure a couple seasons ago, they still stuck with Kobe despite his trade demands.

Some organizations are loyal to their players and others are not. It really depends on how good the player is/success he's brought to the team/ and yes even age. (like you mentioned)

Take a player like Duncan for example, brought so much success to San Antonio and their organization and is now getting up there in age. The Spurs continue to remain loyal to him and most likely will until the end of his career by the looks of it.

If I was a GM though, the route I would go to would depend on the talent of my star player. If he's top 10 in the league, I stick with him and build around him. But if my "star player" is someone who cannot lead my team to a title, i'd trade the guy looking for a package deal.

The Spurs offered Duncan to Portland for the Oden pick...not what I call loyalty

Avenged
08-29-2010, 10:25 PM
The Spurs offered Duncan to Portland for the Oden pick...not what I call loyalty

:laugh2: completely forgot about that one to be honest.

Makes sense though, goes with what I previously said. Depending on age, you look to trade a player to acquire younger talent.

I know the Spurs are happy that didn't go through.

Baller1
08-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Well this is simple for me. Presti is a ****ing genius, so I would do whatever he does.

BlazingJ
08-30-2010, 12:51 AM
If you are a Portland fan, would you still trade Oden for Duncan? Duncan is old but coul've gave a couple more years. Oden is still pretty unknown.

PrettyBoyJ
08-30-2010, 12:52 AM
Loyalty only goes so far.. IMO when a player brings a team so much success but never brings home the Championship, eventually the organization is going to conclude that this group is not going to get it done.. Obviously its hard to part ways with a franchise player, but at the end of the day this game is also a business you have to do what is necessary to survive... If I'm rebuilding I'm gonna make a move that is going to benefit me more, or where both sides are happy...

Avenged
08-30-2010, 01:03 AM
If you are a Portland fan, would you still trade Oden for Duncan? Duncan is old but coul've gave a couple more years. Oden is still pretty unknown.

Right now, no.

But when the trade was offered, absolutely.

Roy + Duncan would have been a great duo.

Portland didn't expect Oden to be out for such a long time though.

Hellcrooner
08-30-2010, 01:05 AM
if your superstar is older than 27 try to build around him.

if you are going nowhere and your superstar is still young put him in the market and make the laws of offer and demmand get other team to win over other offers to gut their core get you capspace(since they will send you expirings for your wors contracts) and a gazillion picks. Specially important to get the upcoming pick, since they will be gutted they may make a big failer at the first year.

very important do this when your suprstar still has like 3 years left of you will lose leverage.

abe_froman
08-30-2010, 01:14 AM
ok i have no idea what the op is saying.but as for choosing to rebuild or not,it depends on the situation,the players you have,ect. there is no one size fits all answer to when or how you should do this