PDA

View Full Version : Allen Iverson interview

stejay
08-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Part 1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgq1Fc40VO0
Part 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ20pBz4a28&feature=related
Part 3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDLsi3iCF8c&feature=related

Great AI interview....great insight into matter with his attitude etc, from AI's point of view
About 8 minutes overall....Enjoy.

Hustlenomics
08-29-2010, 03:17 PM
inb4 the hate

stejay
08-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Someone sign him up....I want him in the league. He gets more bad rap than he deserves because of his perceived persona of a trouble maker etc. he can take being a backup. What people say about him isnt really fair, and he can still do a job in the NBA, and get a lot of minutes, Im sure of that.

stejay
08-29-2010, 03:20 PM
inb4 the hate

If you watch the video, I challenge anyone to disagree with his points

Hustlenomics
08-29-2010, 03:21 PM
"the ones that's anti allen iverson , they gonna be anti allen iverson and they gonna put it out the way they want to put it out even though it don't have to be true"

stejay
08-29-2010, 03:24 PM
"the ones that's anti allen iverson , they gonna be anti allen iverson and they gonna put it out the way they want to put it out even though it don't have to be true"

sadly very very true

lowdown32
08-29-2010, 03:32 PM
everyday he is with out a team i HAVE A GOOD DAY

lowdown32
08-29-2010, 03:34 PM
sadly very very true

this guy disrespected the staple center in 05 some laker fan

stejay
08-29-2010, 03:47 PM
this guy disrespected the staple center in 05 some laker fan

I dont care about stuff like that, seeings thats the first I heard of it...

whitemamba33
08-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Detroit, Memphis, 76'ers.

3 strikes, you're out.

Swashcuff
08-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Someone sign him up....I want him in the league. He gets more bad rap than he deserves because of his perceived persona of a trouble maker etc. he can take being a backup. What people say about him isnt really fair, and he can still do a job in the NBA, and get a lot of minutes, Im sure of that.

tell me the truth are you reading my mind or something. Sounds like I'm reading Swashcuff posted. :cool:

Swashcuff
08-29-2010, 04:16 PM
really hope he get his act together personally and get back in the league and prove that he can still contribute to a team even at this stage in his career.

stejay
08-29-2010, 04:40 PM
tell me the truth are you reading my mind or something. Sounds like I'm reading Swashcuff posted. :cool:

hahaha just speaking the truth man..

NetsPaint
08-29-2010, 04:47 PM
With all the Carmelo stuff going around, I care more about this. I still love seeing him play and I have never seen him live which I want to change. He's made a lot of mistakes, but I don't think they're nearly as bad as people make them out to be. There's far worse in the NBA and in sports. I think last season with the Sixers he proved he's willing to not just go one on one. If his family issues are over, himself and teams are honest with each other, I see no reason to not give him a shot.

DisturbedFTW83
08-29-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm sure he can contribute to ANY team that NEEDS him. But teams don't need a ball hogging 30+ in age, 5'10 SG that takes beatings in the paint. His body is done. He played here for the Sixers last year and I didn't see that same explosiveness he's known for. Wish he had that same fire he had years ago. But as he gets older the fire disappears. Eventually goes away.

He tried to come back but he couldn't finish a season with the Sixers. I've loved his play since he was drafted and made the sport of basketball more exciting and without boundaries. He's a small guy who's taken the MVP, scoring championship and actually has been considered for defensive player of the year. He should have walked away from Detroit like a man and retired.

I'm sure Jordan, Bird, Magic, Isiah, and some other greats still have some game in the tank too. AI, your time is up my friend.

But in all honesty, if he decided to play for the Sixers again, I'm going to buy my ticket.

NetsPaint
08-29-2010, 04:50 PM
I'm sure he can contribute to ANY team that NEEDS him. But teams don't need a ball hogging 30+ in age, 5'10 SG that takes beatings in the paint. His body is done. He played here for the Sixers last year and I didn't see that same explosiveness he's known for. Wish he had that same fire he had years ago. But as he gets older the fire disappears. Eventually goes away.

He tried to come back but he couldn't finish a season with the Sixers. I've loved his play since he was drafted and made the sport of basketball more exciting and without boundaries. He's a small guy who's taken the MVP, scoring championship and actually has been considered for defensive player of the year. He should have walked away from Detroit like a man and retired.

I'm sure Jordan, Bird, Magic, Isiah, and some other greats still have some game in the tank too. AI, your time is up my friend.

But in all honesty, if he decided to play for the Sixers again, I'm going to buy my ticket.

haha Great ending to the post.

C-Dub
08-29-2010, 04:56 PM
AI just needs to come back and START on a team like NJ or NY and average 20+ ppg and people will stop talkin this "hes too old and washed up" crap. there are a lot of players in the league older than him, its not like hes 50 people.

llemon
08-29-2010, 05:03 PM
AI just needs to come back and START on a team like NJ or NY and average 20+ ppg and people will stop talkin this "hes too old and washed up" crap. there are a lot of players in the league older than him, its not like hes 50 people.

Iverson is done. His skills and quickness have faded. His body is breaking down.

Good luck to whichever NBA team signs him.

Just hope it is not the Nets.

Jewelz0376
08-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Iverson is done. His skills and quickness have faded. His body is breaking down.

Did you watch him in Philly last year?? If so are you saying he's not longer good enough to be a backup???

Hustlenomics
08-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Did you watch him in Philly last year?? If so are you saying he's not longer good enough to be a backup???

if he actually watched him in philly instead of hating automatically and talking out his *** he wouldn't say those things

Swashcuff
08-29-2010, 05:10 PM

dude he is clearly a hater stop wasting your time with him.... all he comes in these threads to do is hate. OBVIOUSLY he didnt watch play in Philly last season. Or he's just a blind hater.

stejay
08-29-2010, 05:20 PM

He is still good enough to be a starter at a very low team, or backup anywhere. Plus, I have noticed you make comments like that, and dont back up up. So please, point me to stats, or evidence to show your point. Please....I really wanna see this.

BALLER71
08-29-2010, 05:26 PM

No, he can't take a back up role. He whined about playing time.

llemon
08-29-2010, 05:28 PM
He is still good enough to be a starter at a very low team, or backup anywhere. Plus, I have noticed you make comments like that, and dont back up up. So please, point me to stats, or evidence to show your point. Please....I really wanna see this.

Well, let's see who wise enough to sign him.

I would think Sixers would sign him, as he was such a success for them last season.

And words and stats hold no worth, actions do.

Hustlenomics
08-29-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm going to save myself the trouble from seeing this guy hating
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/121/lemg.jpg

ttam68
08-29-2010, 05:35 PM
He doesnt make sense for the teams that could actually use him. Rebuilding/growing clubs are better off playing young guys, contenders don't need him or want to worry about him.

Not finishing the last 2 seasons doesn't look pretty.

NetsPaint
08-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Is there any room for Iverson on the current Sixers team or is all the guard positions filled up?

stejay
08-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Is there any room for Iverson on the current Sixers team or is all the guard positions filled up?

Jrue Holiday and Evan Turner....they can do with an AI to show them some skills... Holiday is 20, Turner is 21.... 1 more season with AI, he would seriously eat up minutes at PG and SG....

stejay
08-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Well, let's see who wise enough to sign him.

I would think Sixers would sign him, as he was such a success for them last season.

And words and stats hold no worth, actions do.

Oh, stats are nothing....OK, in your thinking, AI is in the bottom 3 players, because he has had attitude problems? No, and you know why? Because his STATS speak for themselves.

smith&wesson
08-29-2010, 05:55 PM

3 strikes, you're out.

i guess denver was a foul ball ??

iverson is a great player. its too bad the league tries to outcast him. sterns a big AI hater and there for so is espn and the rest of the media.

xbrackattackx
I hope he get signed some where hate to see him like this.

NetsPaint
Jrue Holiday and Evan Turner....they can do with an AI to show them some skills... Holiday is 20, Turner is 21.... 1 more season with AI, he would seriously eat up minutes at PG and SG....

Hmmmm Then I say why not. I'd love to see this team grow with him and hopefully play the next few years of his career there. I'd love for him to join my main teams (Nets, Hornets, Knicks), but I want Iverson in Philly the most, and it's weird watching the Sixers without him.

llemon
08-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Oh, stats are nothing....OK, in your thinking, AI is in the bottom 3 players, because he has had attitude problems? No, and you know why? Because his STATS speak for themselves.

Did I say anything about AI's attitude (which stinks, by the way)?

And I'm saying he is a below bottom three player because he is done and doesn't belong in the league.

Stats mean nothing. Numbers on paper.

The reality happens on the court.

Am I reaching you?

NetsPaint
08-29-2010, 05:59 PM

And I'm saying he is a below bottom three player because he is done and doesn't belong in the league.

Am I reaching you?

DID YOU WATCH HIM LAST SEASON?

He is far from done, and he's gotten a lot of rest.

llemon
08-29-2010, 06:01 PM

HOPE TO GOD Nets don't sign him.

2_Trill
08-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Great interview! Great Post!

stejay
08-29-2010, 06:03 PM

Am I reaching you?

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

OK, first part, you said actions speak louder than words and stats when it comes to AI. People say he can still play (words), and the stats show he can still play. So that shoots that down

Second is plain wrong on many many levels

Three and four.... Where you think you get stats from? PPG, FG %, 3pt etc. FROM THE COURT :facepalm: So no, you are not reaching me, because you have the worst argument of all time. Stats are nothing. Please. If you think that is true, watch chess or something, because surprise, you need stats in basketball.

stejay
08-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Great interview! Great Post!

Thanks man...I saw the interview on youtube, and thought, "I have to post this on PSD hahah"

llemon
08-29-2010, 06:07 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

OK, first part, you said actions speak louder than words and stats when it comes to AI. People say he can still play (words), and the stats show he can still play. So that shoots that down

Second is plain wrong on many many levels

Three and four.... Where you think you get stats from? PPG, FG %, 3pt etc. FROM THE COURT :facepalm: So no, you are not reaching me, because you have the worst argument of all time. Stats are nothing. Please. If you think that is true, watch chess or something, because surprise, you need stats in basketball.

"People SAY"....."Stats SHOW".......

We will know if AI can still play WHEN HE PLAYS. That takes more than lip service.

And actions speak louder than words? That statement applies to everyone, not just AI.

From what I witnessed last season, AI is done.

Let's see if he can prove me wrong with something other than words.

Fair enough?

stejay
08-29-2010, 06:08 PM
"People SAY"....."Stats SHOW".......

We will know if AI can still play WHEN HE PLAYS. That takes more than lip service.

And actions speak louder than words? That statement applies to everyone, not just AI.

From what I witnessed last season, AI is done.

Let's see if he can prove me wrong with something other than words.

Fair enough?

Not really, because he was OK last year, and he wouldnt have crashed out in a few months

NetsPaint
08-29-2010, 06:09 PM
HOPE TO GOD Nets don't sign him.

That doesn't answer my question.

C-Dub
08-29-2010, 06:48 PM

Not to mention he had knee issues last season, like a fluidy build up or something. He said it was hard cuz if he worked out to try and stay in shape the fluid came back and if he rested too long he got outta shape. it was a lose lose for him.
Also he was having family problems. his daughter was very sick and his wife and him were supoosedly on the fritz. if i were in the league id put my family WAY AHEAD of the nba, like anybody else would. his mind was not on baskebtall last season.
Detroit you cant even count cuz he got thrown into a team that lost its leader and they played an entirely different style of ball than him and tried making him play as billups and not AI.
Memphis went back on what they told him (hed start) and didnt even want him there in the first place, just the owners did if i remember correctly, the FO was all haters.
Ai still has a lot in his tank, he is NOT THAT OLD, he can still average 15-20 or more ppg and 5-6 assists a game (which is all billups averages) if you want to compare him to a great pg, and hes a sg.
you haters need your stats, back up your statements cuz right now you sound very misinformed.

C-Dub
08-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Not really, because he was OK last year, and he wouldnt have crashed out in a few months

see he "sucked" last season cuz 14ppg in limited minutes is bad for AI. haha these guys dont even get it. someone who averages 14 ppg in the league is still a good contribution to a team, but cuz AI did it, and they expect more from him, its not good enough and he sucks and is washed up haha

Jewelz0376
08-29-2010, 06:52 PM

That was part of the problem with AI last year...he got too much rest in the off season and he wasn't in shape, which is why he was hurt... AI needs to realize he's not the young AI anymore and he needs to try and stay in shape.... I hope he's still working out in case a team does sign him..

C-Dub
08-29-2010, 06:54 PM
I think the nets would be a great place for him to go if melo doesnt get traded there. Harris and him can switch pg/sg if needed whenever they wanted (especially on defense), T-Will is very athletic and would fit in the style of offense that AI likes to bring (flashy), Favors, Murphy, Lopez- all excellent rebounders who know how to score, this would help AI out a ton. Hed be the 'experienced' one on the squad.
Harris
AI
T-Will
Murphy/Favors
Lopez

C-Dub
08-29-2010, 06:55 PM
That was part of the problem with AI last year...he got too much rest in the off season and he wasn't in shape, which is why he was hurt... AI needs to realize he's not the young AI anymore and he needs to try and stay in shape.... I hope he's still working out in case a team does sign him..

there was a report at the beginning of the offseason saying that he was working out and trying to make a comeback

llemon
08-29-2010, 06:57 PM
I think the nets would be a great place for him to go if melo doesnt get traded there. Harris and him can switch pg/sg if needed whenever they wanted (especially on defense), T-Will is very athletic and would fit in the style of offense that AI likes to bring (flashy), Favors, Murphy, Lopez- all excellent rebounders who know how to score, this would help AI out a ton. Hed be the 'experienced' one on the squad.
Harris
AI
T-Will
Murphy/Favors
Lopez

Geez, you have him starting.

No thanks

llemon
08-29-2010, 06:58 PM

Are we talking about practice?

stejay
08-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Are we talking about practice?

:facepalm: This is AI, dont go there hahahah

llemon
08-29-2010, 07:02 PM
That doesn't answer my question.

Answers mine

stejay
08-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Answers mine

Thats not gonna help this argument...

C-Dub
08-29-2010, 07:10 PM
ya i got him starting. BECAUSE HE IS A STARTER.

jackdawson
08-29-2010, 07:12 PM
I saw this interview months ago. Not sure how it make sense now.

blacknell
08-29-2010, 07:14 PM
when did everybody start hating iverson? he is a top 5 player of this decade

Tony_Starks
08-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Washed up? Please, the last season he played as a starter he put up 26, 7, and 2 in Denver...... before he had to step aside so that Rodney Stuckey and Mike Conley could become the superstars that they are!

Tony_Starks
08-29-2010, 07:20 PM
when did everybody start hating iverson? he is a top 5 player of this decade

A lot of conservative white collar fans have been hating from the jump its just that he was so good for so long that their blatant hate was exposed for exactly what it was: mad to see a young talented black kid with braids, tattoo's, and a "thug" image making more money than they would in 10 lifetimes.

stejay
08-29-2010, 07:20 PM
I saw this interview months ago. Not sure how it make sense now.

An AI thread was closed down, and there was a LOT of hate....so Id try and out rumors to bed, by using the man's words himself, instead of hearsay and rumors etc.

llemon
08-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Washed up? Please, the last season he played as a starter he put up 26, 7, and 2 in Denver...... before he had to step aside so that Rodney Stuckey and Mike Conley could become the superstars that they are!

Remembering the past is fun, isn't it?

stejay
08-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Remembering the past is fun, isn't it?

Can I ask you a question... why do you hate AI so much? Does he intimidate you, annoy you? what? just dont get how you blindly dislike the man, and diss stats as well

llemon
08-29-2010, 07:28 PM
ya i got him starting. BECAUSE HE IS A STARTER.

Was a starter.

God forbid Nets sign him, he wouldn't start

stejay
08-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Was a starter.

Terence Williams is soooo much better than AI :rolleyes:

C-Dub
08-29-2010, 07:55 PM
Was a starter.

pretty sure he would, t-will would play sf.

llemon
08-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Terence Williams is soooo much better than AI

And Terrence has a future in this league

llemon
08-29-2010, 08:02 PM
pretty sure he would, t-will would play sf.

Avery doesn't think T-Will is a SF.

And what SG can Iverson guard?

stejay
08-29-2010, 08:03 PM
And Terrence has a future in this league

not right now... he isnt ready

stejay
08-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Avery doesn't think T-Will is a SF.

And what SG can Iverson guard?

Not like he hasnt played there before...never an issue then, why now?

llemon
08-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Not like he hasnt played there before...never an issue then, why now?

Because he is not the player he was. He's slower, less quick and more easily injured.

He cannot guard SGs and doesn't do a great job at guarding PGs.

Let Iverson Rest In Peace.

stejay
08-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Because he is not the player he was. He's slower, less quick and more easily injured.

Never heard any arguments last year....

llemon
08-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Never heard any arguments last year....

Who would argue about a corpse?

stejay
08-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Who would argue about a corpse?

OK, why do you hate him so bad...give a reasoning..

llemon
08-29-2010, 08:21 PM
OK, why do you hate him so bad...give a reasoning..

Again, have no hate for Iverson.

I've been following the game long enough to tell when a player is done.

stejay
08-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Again, have no hate for Iverson.

I've been following the game long enough to tell when a player is done.

so have I, and he aint done.

llemon
08-29-2010, 08:42 PM
so have I, and he aint done.

That's something we're gonna find out, isn't it.

stejay
08-29-2010, 08:43 PM
That's something we're gonna find out, isn't it.

yes, yes it is.

ryder78c
08-29-2010, 09:08 PM
BOBCATS SIGN HIM YOU NEED HIM!!!!! it would help that team like crazy! MJ DONT BE BITTER BECAUSE HE BROKE YOUR ANKLES

c Dampier/Mohammed/Brown
pf DIAW & THOMAS
sf WALLACE
sg JACKSON
pg IVERSON/DJ/Colins

ryder78c
08-29-2010, 09:11 PM

U must not watch basketball hahaaaaa he has just as much speed as brandon jennings and hes experience i would wan him on my team anyday if the blazers signed him i would go APE $Hlt and go get that jersey as soon as he signed

llemon
08-29-2010, 09:11 PM
BOBCATS SIGN HIM YOU NEED HIM!!!!! it would help that team like crazy! MJ DONT BE BITTER BECAUSE HE BROKE YOUR ANKLES

c Dampier/Mohammed/Brown
pf DIAW & THOMAS
sf WALLACE
sg JACKSON
pg IVERSON/DJ/Colins

Dampier should be waived shortly. You think Bobcats re-sign him?

ryder78c
08-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Dampier should be waived shortly. You think Bobcats re-sign him?

he's on the team right now,
if they dont come to an agreement there looking to trade him, its up to the front office about what there gonna do

69centers
08-29-2010, 09:27 PM

3 strikes, you're out.

Agreed. His last real effort was Detroit. Then, he didn't want the role he got in Memphis, then got the role he wanted in Philly, then ditched that as well.

Sorry, the guy doesn't deserve another shot. As above states, he struck out.

JonnyBrav000
08-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Where can I find this Iverson interview, the nba and youtube removed the link the poster put up.

llemon
08-29-2010, 09:35 PM
U must not watch basketball hahaaaaa he has just as much speed as brandon jennings and hes experience i would wan him on my team anyday if the blazers signed him i would go APE $Hlt and go get that jersey as soon as he signed

E-Mail Rich Cho. I'm sure he'll accomodate you.

Hustlenomics
08-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Agreed. His last real effort was Detroit. Then, he didn't want the role he got in Memphis, then got the role he wanted in Philly, then ditched that as well.

Sorry, the guy doesn't deserve another shot. As above states, he struck out.

he didn't bail on them he just had family issues and he was very happy there and the staff and players had nothing but good things to say about iverson in his return to philly

C-Dub
08-29-2010, 11:30 PM
^thank you. i tried saying that earlier but no one listens to me...

69centers
08-29-2010, 11:56 PM
I don't know if I'm buying it. Ray Allen had a sick child and still made it to his games. There's a reason no one has signed him this year. If everyone believed his story and that his time in Philly was a happy one, he would have been signed by now.

Hustlenomics
08-30-2010, 12:00 AM
It wasn't an easy decision for ray that's for sure

Marlins97and03
08-30-2010, 02:17 AM
i guess denver was a foul ball ??

iverson is a great player. Its too bad the league tries to outcast him. Sterns a big ai hater and there for so is espn and the rest of the media.

this

abe_froman
08-30-2010, 02:26 AM

you'd get tired of it a few games into the season.yes nostalgia is fun,we all remember how fun he was to watch years ago,but that was then.his style of play doesnt help him as he ages,simply because he's getting older and cant rely on that explosiveness anymore.and to put ontop of it is that he's to stubborn to realize this...besides its not like he was that great when he was prime(one of favs,but also one of the most overrated legends)

stejay
08-30-2010, 06:43 AM
Where can I find this Iverson interview, the nba and youtube removed the link the poster put up.

still works for me :confused:

Law25
08-30-2010, 08:32 AM
I hope some team takes an chance on this dude, I think Phily should give him two years to finish his legacy ther. Its sad how cats i grew up immulating on the court are struggling to gain interest from teams.

lavilevi23
08-30-2010, 09:19 AM
A.I sign with the Heat baby and get your ring!!! :D :D :D

stejay
08-30-2010, 09:38 AM
A.I sign with the Heat baby and get your ring!!! :D :D :D

Wouldnt be the worst option, Payton did it.... :cool:

3RDASYSTEM
08-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Heres what the people who actually coached him and played with him had to say about the ''CANCER''...These aint my words so i wont put yall on no ESPN ''source'' hunt

"I love him, Every day was a challenge with him, but he played hurt and he competed like nobody else. He always tried to make his teammates better, and those are the things I value." -Larry Brown Former Sixers Head Coach.

“He made guys want to play hard. He wasn’t late for a meeting or late for a practice. All the past stuff you heard about him didn't happen here." - Elton Brand, 2010

"M.C.(Michael Curry, former Head Coach for the Pistons) lied to us a million times," Hamilton said of Curry. "He sat me and A.I. down one time and was like, 'I'm going to lean on both of you the whole year, just don't go to the media. Say you'll do whatever for the team and blah blah blah.' This was a week before he brought me off the bench. He lied. So I feel for what Allen said." Richard Hamilton.

Jewelz0376
08-30-2010, 04:45 PM
you'd get tired of it a few games into the season.yes nostalgia is fun,we all remember how fun he was to watch years ago,but that was then.his style of play doesnt help him as he ages,simply because he's getting older and cant rely on that explosiveness anymore.and to put ontop of it is that he's to stubborn to realize this...besides its not like he was that great when he was prime(one of favs,but also one of the most overrated legends)

Yea he only carried a team to the finals and was mvp...not to mention he will be a 1st ballot hall of famer...I'm sure 99% of players in the nba would kill to have a "not that great" career like AI's..

levignjw
08-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Iverson is almost starting to annoy me as much as Favre.

3RDASYSTEM
08-30-2010, 04:58 PM
"They told me, straight up, 'Allen, we would never disrespect you or your career like that,' by making me come off the bench," Iverson said in an interview with ESPN.com Page 2 columnist Scoop Jackson. "That's what they told me to my face. And after that, I never thought about it again. I just went back to playing. Then, they came to me saying that they felt it would be in the 'best interest of the team' if I came off of the bench behind Rip [Richard Hamilton].

"... After that, they told me that if I didn't come off the bench, the team was going to lie down on [not play with] me. ... When he told me that, that's when I felt that this was the worst career move I'd ever made and it was the worst year of my career."

Iverson said when he was traded from Denver to Detroit on Nov. 3, 2008, he was happy. "I talked to Mo [his uncle/manager Gary Moore]. We both felt like it was going to be a good situation."

It deteriorated when Iverson said he heard whispers the team wanted him to come off the bench. He had started 824 of 829 career games before last season.

"If you are a head coach and you feel strongly about this," Iverson told Jackson, "what would make you think that I want to be around these guys? Especially if you are telling me that they don't want to be around me like that?"

Iverson continued: "I'd never been on a team where a coach told me the guys gave up on me. You know what I mean? And I kept this under wraps the whole time ... because I didn't want to bad-mouth any of those guys

Iverson is admired by his peers. He's controversial to some fans and media, but there's never been a report of a teammate negatively talking about AI as a player or person. People forget that Iverson, popularity-wise, bridged the NBA from the Jordan era to the Kobe-LeBron era. And I know the second I type that that people are going to comment and tell me why I'm an idiot and complain about him playing selfish basketball and having a bad attitude and being a 'thug', whatever that means.

The NBA, as FreeDarko famously says, is a league of stars. Iverson's style has been hugely influential on the league, and there's a generation of players who grew up respecting him and admiring him. The more people who don't understand the concept of how star power drives the league among its most devoted fans hate and criticize, the more it's endeared Iverson to his fanbase.