PDA

View Full Version : Season Preview/2011 Draft

seahawks509
08-29-2010, 05:00 AM
Im trying to think what we actually need. Everyone is talking about Vincent Jackson, and the ones that aren't are talking about McNeil.

Well both our WR and O-line has looked really solid. The scary/awesome thing is that's without Okung, well for this game. Do we have a #1 WR, no. Do we need a #1 WR, yes. Can we do with what we got now, yes. So I really don't think that neither of these are a priority as of right now. Now if we were to get eithe rone of these guys I would be thrilled, but is just not at the top of my list right now. I also don't think we need to make a kove this year, wait the seaosn out and go get that players through the draft. Next year's draft should have a lot of GOOD players. Maybe won't be as deep, but the talent is there.

So you go to DE, what we thought would be a huge need before training camp started. We ended up moving Red Bryant to basically our only DE spot. He's a monster there. Then our "Leo" spot, we got Clemens who's been tarign it up. We have been gettign pressure and stop the run with our DT's.

Obviously Our secondary and LB courp is our strong suit this year, so no need at all really.

The only thing left would be RB and QB. Hass has layed great and am not worried at all if our O-line can protect him. Since it's the first thing I started with, I am obviosuly ok with it.

So the only thing left is RB. People may think that Leon Washignton and J-Force, with a little bit of JJ will be a good 1-2-3 punch, and will keep our running game fresh while the defense is gassping for air. Well I was with you guys, for untill about 2 weeks ago.

It started when I was thinking about next years draft. Really love college football, and being able to hopefully scout players for the Seahawks. Im not very good at scouting players, I leave it to Brodie and others to do :).. Well I was thinking, who should we draft? Should we go with O-line again? Add another young ancor to help out Okung and Unger for the future. Although that would be nice, it's not what we need. We could go WR, add a strong, young WR with skills opposite of Tate? Na...Oh I know, maybe a DE. Like We have been saying for weeks. We need a DE. But this draft is gonna be loaded with DE's. We can easily get a steal in the 2nd round. Plus our D-line has been playing good, no reason to go that high right now.

Then it hit me, eventhough we have a good little combo with Forsett and Washignton. Washington is more of a Reggie Bush and can't handle it all by himself. Forsett is to small for a big role. We need a true, franchise player on offensive. Someone we can trust with the ball, and can make plays. With a little mix of Washignton adn Forsett, we could run all day.

So I started looking at runningbacks in next years draft. The ones that popped out to me were.

1) Mark Ingram (obviosuly, he's "my boy")
2) Evan Royster
3) Da'Rel Scott
4) John Clay
5) Trent Richardson

I really like Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, and Evan Royster.

Trent Richardson is a very powerful runner. He's also fast, but he's a brutal back. He will blow you up, and break away from the defense for a huge gain.

Evan Royster isn't very fast, but he see's the field and his blocks very well. He's make a very good cuts and is alsways running forwards, never stops hsi feet. He's not very powerful, but is always falling forward for atleast a gain.

Mark Ingram is a beats. Enough said...JK. But seriously. He's quick, has great vision, very good balance, a powerful runner, has top notch acceleration, and if he's gets in open space it's over. He has such a good studder step that it's almost impossible to take him down. The first guy almost always misses/breaks a tackle, and will take more than one guy to tackle him He fast enough to break away from defenders, but can be caught up to. He can catch the ball, and can make plays with after he catches it. In my mind he's by far the best RB in college and will continue to dominate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRufS1mF4xs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKhTrxk4Nss&feature=related

He kind of reminds me of Shaun Alexander, but just a little more evolved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDXJ-wpfrwg

I wouldn't mind either Trent Richardson or Mark Ingram. Ingram would be our #1 guy, and our RB. Not trying to compare him to Adrian Peterson, but that's what he would be for us. He would be oure future RB. While Trent Richardson would add the Thunder to our lightning (Washington).

Well that's about it for my Mark Ingram talk...Let me know what you guys thing, try not to bash me to much on this one.

seahawks509
08-29-2010, 05:03 AM
Besides my huge rant, this thread is to talk about this upcommign season, durring season, next years draft, and next years FA. Basically everything Seahawks!!!

There is a lot of time before the draft comes, and we still have a full season to go. A lot can happen between now and then, a lot. But it's always fun start early, and never is to soon.

clang7777
08-29-2010, 07:59 AM
^Absolutely love the enthusiam. Awesome.

clang7777
08-29-2010, 08:05 AM
I would put Strong Safety as a pretty significant need. We have no idea what Chancellor is going to bring and Milloy (although in great shape for his age) simply isn't enough of a game changer to pair with Earl.
As it stands now I would say:

1. Strong Safety- No clear cut future here at all.
2. Defensive End- No true 1-1 pass rush threat.
3. Running Back- No featured back/gamechanger that can handle a workload.
4. Wide Reciever- Always can use more weapons for a lackluster offense.
5. OT and potentially move Locklear inside.
6. Quarterback- only if there is a shot for: Ryan Mallet, Locker, or Andrew Luck. (This would jump everything else on the list without a doubt.)

NateyB24
08-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Definitley DT or WR maybe QB but we still need a dangerous threat that can go vertical on offense.

I think Whitehurst will get his shot next year while he looked like crap in preseason he does have all the tools you can see him able to stretch the field he just needs to be more accurate. Also 5Mil is to much for a backup only guy making that much is Kerry Collins and he was a starter before VY outplayed him only reason hes getting payed alot.

Hawker75
08-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Without taking free agency into account....I would have to say OT or running back. But I agree with clang on one thing, if one of the top notch QB's are available you grab him because they dont come along every year. I do however think that we might be drafting too high to take a SF with our first pick. Either take the DE or running back or trade down for more picks and get the SF. However if we get a running back he has to have a good mixture of speed and size. One with out the other would put us with what we already have or worse, a Ron Dane type running back that was bigger than everyone in college but not in the Pros. But a talented running ack would be hard to pass. I am happy with the picks this year but I can't lie. I did want to see us draft CJ Spiller. But like I said at the beginning....there will be alot of free agents to sort through first.

NateyB24
08-29-2010, 02:32 PM
The only way id take a RB in the first round is if there like C.J Spiller someone who can be used in multiple ways because getting a big back is not going to do much the way our offense line is atm. I think you can get good value in RB in the 2nd RD since we don't have a 3rd RD pick in 2011.

Seattle4Ever
08-29-2010, 03:29 PM
I would put Strong Safety as a pretty significant need. We have no idea what Chancellor is going to bring and Milloy (although in great shape for his age) simply isn't enough of a game changer to pair with Earl.
As it stands now I would say:

1. Strong Safety- No clear cut future here at all.
2. Defensive End- No true 1-1 pass rush threat.
3. Running Back- No featured back/gamechanger that can handle a workload.
4. Wide Reciever- Always can use more weapons for a lackluster offense.
5. OT and potentially move Locklear inside.
6. Quarterback- only if there is a shot for: Ryan Mallet, Locker, or Andrew Luck. (This would jump everything else on the list without a doubt.)

1. I disagree with you. I think Chancellor and Ellison are going to be very, very good. Especially with Milloy mentoring them.
2. Hands down, I have to agree with you.
3. (See #2)
4. I think we are set, but we could use a #1
5. I think we could really use a RT, LG, or C/RG. (Depending on if Unger will be a C or RG in the future.)
6. I want to see more of Whitehurst before I say anything, although his last 2 games have been pretty pitiful.

Seattle4Ever
08-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Definitley DT or WR maybe QB but we still need a dangerous threat that can go vertical on offense.

I think Whitehurst will get his shot next year while he looked like crap in preseason he does have all the tools you can see him able to stretch the field he just needs to be more accurate. Also 5Mil is to much for a backup only guy making that much is Kerry Collins and he was a starter before VY outplayed him only reason hes getting payed alot.

We're pretty set at DT, Cole can be moved through trade because we have so much depth. Terrill is a wonderful Special Teams player and good backup. I believe Vickerson is very good, and his big 6-5 frame can clog lanes. I see us going WR, but only if we can come up with a Dez Bryant esque player.

NateyB24
08-29-2010, 03:44 PM
We're pretty set at DT, Cole can be moved through trade because we have so much depth. Terrill is a wonderful Special Teams player and good backup. I believe Vickerson is very good, and his big 6-5 frame can clog lanes. I see us going WR, but only if we can come up with a Dez Bryant esque player.

Sorry i ment a dominate defensive end we really don't have one of those. Ive been impressed with Chancellor to and actually think he has a shot at taking Babs job i swear it seemed like Favre picked on Babs and Thomas, Thomas actually defended well where Babs didn't.

Seattle4Ever
08-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Sorry i ment a dominate defensive end we really don't have one of those. Ive been impressed with Chancellor to and actually think he has a shot at taking Babs job i swear it seemed like Favre picked on Babs and Thomas, Thomas actually defended well where Babs didn't.

I'd say Mebane is a step or two down from dominant, which I'll take. It seems like Haynesworth is running into more problems in Washington, so we can take another look at him.

I agree with you, Babs really is just an average starter, above average backup, and an outstanding special teams player. So I saying have Milloy start at SS until week 6, and if Chancellor is ready, throw him in there. Babs can backup FS and SS, and play loads of special teams.

Seattle4Ever
08-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Kam Chancellor S Virginia Tech
Ht: 6'3
Wt: 231

Strengths:
Elite size and strength. A very physical defender. At his best in run support; acts as an extra linebacker.

Weaknesses:
Coverage skills are lacking. Does not look fluid when he needs to turn and run with a receiver. Speed is marginal. Primarily played free safety in college but will need to move to strong safety at the next level due to his size and lack of coverage skills.

Comments:
Chancellor is an elite run defender for a safety, but he isn't the complete package. While he can certainly contribute at the next level, he lacks the athletic ability to ever be a force in coverage. He projects as a solid backup and special teams contributor which helps his stock, but he may never be more than that.

Seattle4Ever
08-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Notes on Chancellor:

08/15/10 - SS Kam Chancellor had several big hits in exhibition play against Tennessee and sealed the game with an interception in the final seconds. A fifth-round pick in this year's draft, Chancellor could work his way into the conversation at strong safety.

08/01/10 - S Kam Chancellor also has shown a knack for being around the ball so far in camp.

As for Kevin Ellison:

Pros: Chiseled athlete who certainly looks the part. ... Steady, dependable player who graduated a semester early from high school to enroll at Southern Cal. ... Signed with USC as a running back and was so physical and instinctive that the staff considered him at linebacker before moving him to strong safety.

Cons: Lacks the preferred straight-line speed for the position. ... Not the same player in coverage that he is in run support or as a hitter over the middle. ... Too often plays the man and not the ball.

Styg's Broncos Fit: High-character player with injury issues but consistent production and steady growth. Exceptionally physical and can intimidate players over the middle, and is a sure-handed tackler who is impressive in run support. No straight speed to speak of, but adequate quickness. Has a safety's attitude and is willing to sacrifice himself to make the stop. Doesn't allow many big plays to get past him, part of playing for a defense good enough to recover and get 3-and-outs. May be undervalued because of the players he was around. Could possibly move to LB.

seahawks509
08-29-2010, 05:21 PM
I just feel that if Ingram is there, we need to take him. Because this will probly be the last time to take an elite RB. A franchise RB at his caliber. For the next couple years we will always be looking for that RB. I don't want that.

That's why when Earl Thomas was on the board we had to take him. I didn't agree with it at first, but didn't really know him.

It's not neceasrily the same with Okung, because there's almost atleast 1-2 dominant OT in every draft. But it was just a such a big need that we had to take him at that point, so we did.

Another reason why I don't think we need to take a DE in the first round, here are all the DE that are/could be in next years draft.

1) Adrian Clayborn
2) Greg Romeus
3) Robert Quinn
4) Cameron Heyward (have him at DT, other at DE)
5) Allen Bailey
6) Von Miller (DE/OLB)
7) Adrian Robinson (DE/OLB)

seahawks509
08-29-2010, 05:27 PM
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2010/08/25/hasselbeck-thumbs-down-on-18-game-schedule/

So Hasselback is aginst the idea of exstending the schedule to 18 games. Well of course he's gonna be. He can't stay healthy throught 16 games, how's he gonna be able to stay healthy for 18?

seahawks509
08-29-2010, 05:33 PM
^Absolutely love the enthusiam. Awesome.

I just really want that franchise RB like Minnesota does, and I belive Mark Ingram is this guy. I also don't want to just get 3 guys and try them out at RB. Sure there good, but idk. I just don't like it. I mean I really like Forsett and Washington. But there just not for the future. I want to keep them, to give Ingram a breather. But Carroll likes to have a really good RB and lives on runnign it, this could be his guy.

House
08-29-2010, 05:45 PM
What about moving Aaron Curry to DE? Depth at LB has always been our knack!!! If he struggles this year... I'd consider it. He can work strictly on pass rush/run stop tackling!

We've proven we can find LBs and having Ken Norton can help develop future ones!

clang7777
08-29-2010, 05:46 PM
^ I wouldn't hate that, but the guy does excell in pass coverage which makes his play at LB that much more valuable.

House
08-29-2010, 05:57 PM
^ I wouldn't hate that, but the guy does excell in pass coverage which makes his play at LB that much more valuable.

That's why I say if he struggles, we can make the decision. I know Coach Norton has him as a special project and if he can teach him, he'll be great!

I've even mentioned looking at Leroy Hill playing LEO... What are your thoughts on that?

seahawks509
08-30-2010, 12:12 AM
I would prefer Leroy Hill at Leo or DE rtaher than Curry. If Curry does struggle this year, then it could happen. How about another position? Maybe S? Someone did say that we could use another S opposite of Thomas. Urlacher played S in high school, and I know that's a difference but we can try it. He's great in coverage so who know's. My only problem is, is he to big for the position?

NateyB24
08-30-2010, 12:35 PM
I just don't think RB is worth the value with a #1 pick unless he was the final piece. A.P would never be able to run behind the line we have.

seahawks509
08-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Our line has been solid so far this year. If he was the BP available, then yes it would. He would be a huge aquisition and could easily help this team.

That's for Mark Ingram. Trent Richardson could be available in the 2nd-3rd. But then he could be like a Felix Jones and be drafted right after Ingram. Then you got Royster, Scott, and Clay who all could be drafted around 2nd-4th round. So im not saying that we need to get them in the 1st, but I do think that it is our #1 need for now, and in the fuute. I like Forsett and Washington a lot, but we need that franchise running back, and neither of them are it.

clang7777
08-30-2010, 05:39 PM
There is absolutely zero chance Aaron Curry ever plays anywhere near the defensive backfield. He is simply too big and he has more value at any of the three LB positions- It's not as if the depth we have at LB is entirely immune from injury- see Lofa Tatupu and Leroy Hill.

As far as Hill at Leo, I think that would be a great option. He is bulky, stout and would be perfect on the line of scrimmage. It's just a matter of getting reps, which at this point doesn't look good.

I really feel everything with this team is pretty set for now. The only serious adjustment they arr having to deal with is the LT spot. Which certainly has a ripple effect on other OL and even the TE's.

Would it be safe to say-

WR's
1. TJ
2. Branch
3. Mike Williams
4. Deon Butler
5. Golden Tate

I think I would put Williams at 3 considering his size, and Butler ahead of Tate soley because of the extra year of experience. All in all its not incredibly significant, but interesting to think about the pecking order on 3 wide sets and so forth.

FWBrodie
08-30-2010, 11:30 PM
I'd say Mike Williams is on top of the WR depth chart. He certainly has looked like the target most likely to provide positive results thus far.

Seattle4Ever
08-30-2010, 11:35 PM
^ I think him and Housh are the only for sure things on offense.

Magic12ball
08-31-2010, 12:35 AM
We are fine at the LEO. Clemons looks like a beast... Anybody who can get a sack against both Michael Roos and Bryant McKinnie is good in my book.

Curry looked good against MIN. Need to see more of that though... I want to see the Curry that ruined Steven Jackson's day week 1 of last season, not the confused, constantly offsides Curry that weve had since.

As for offense, Williams looks really good, but we still dont have a standout #1. Still, Housh, Branch, Williams, Butler, and Tate is a very deep group. Can't really take advantage of that unless our O-line plays well though. We need help at LG pretty bad (though Gibson did a serviceable job on saturday too). And WTH is wrong with Locklear? he got beat like every other play last saturday...

thehands816
08-31-2010, 01:42 PM
Thought this was interesting. It's nice to see something like this finally work in OUR favor.

Josh McDaniels made a few questionable decisions during his desultory first draft as Broncos head coach, but none looks worse than the decision to trade a first-round pick for cornerback Alphonso Smith.

The draft class has time to turn it around, but Smith may not. One year later, Dave Krieger of the Denver Post writes that Smith may not even make the team.

At this point, Smith appears to be battling rookie seventh-round pick Syd'Quan Thompson for the ninth and possibly final defensive back roster spot. Thompson is coming off a preseason performance that showed more promise than anything Smith has done as a pro.

Look, we understand bad picks happen. But McDaniels traded a 2010 first-round pick to Seattle to take Smith No. 37 overall. (The traded pick turned into the No. 14 selection; Seattle took Earl Thomas.) If you are going to gamble that big on an undersized cornerback, you better be right.

Smith's possible release points out just how hard it is to judge college talent. The Broncos took cornerbacks Perrish Cox and Thompson in the fifth and seventh-round respectively in 2010. They both look like long-term keepers.

Smith, essentially taken with a first-round pick, may be one and done.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/31/alphonso-smith-could-be-one-and-done-in-denver/

Seattle4Ever
08-31-2010, 02:13 PM
^ :laugh:

ThUnDeR HaWk
08-31-2010, 04:39 PM
i think mark ingram wont go until the second round so the saehawks can focus on drafting a DE or a CB in the first round

i think the big needs are DE,DT, RB, WR, OG and CB. a young QB would be nice to

MOCK DRAFT:
#1: DE Robert Quinn NC/ DE Greg Romeus PIT
#2: RB Mark Ingram ALA
#3: WR Michael Floyd ND
#4: CB Rashad Carmichael VT
#5: WR Armon Binns CIN
#6: DT Jarvis Jenkins CLEMSON
#7: RB/KR/WR Noel Devine WVU/ RB/WR/KR James Rodgers Oregon State

clang7777
08-31-2010, 04:58 PM
^whoa, whoa, whoa.

These guys are not going to go even close to where you have them slotted. No way Noel Devine drops into the 7th. I would take Devine in the 4th in a heartbeat.

Michael Floyd will go top 20.

Ingram in the 2nd, really!? The guy did just have knee surgery, which is frightening in itself, but if he has another heisman type season hes going top 15.

EDIT- Somehow I am hoping that I am a complete idiot and you were simply throwing names out there instead of putting rounds wiht names?

seahawks509
08-31-2010, 07:48 PM
^He was putting round with names, because he said that he thought Ingram could go in the 2nd round, and he has Ingram #2.

But besides that, there's no ******* way Ingram goes in the 2nd round. He's top 10 talent, and I don't think we will even be given a chance to draft him. You gys are way underating him. I know im overated him, but seriously. This guy has everything it takes to be a good NFL RB, besides the fact that he hasn't taken a snap. Ingram WILL go in the 1st round, and more than liekely the top 15.

Also there absolutely no way Michael Floyd doesn't get drafted in teh 1st. Julio Jones is ahead of him, but after that there's no one really close. Floyd is also a top 20-25 draft pick, and could even get drfated higher than that.

Robert Quinn will egt drafted in the 1st, but with all the depth at DE in this years draft, we could easily get a DE at his caliber, may not be as good/better, but will still be a very solid pick.

I say with how the drfat next year is looking, based on what we need and what is available,. Mark Ingram or a O-lineman is the best solution. DE is deep enough to go 2nd round. WR we don't need to look at till bout the 4th round. DT, LB, and S we don't need to look at. CB we can go in around 2nd-4th (excluding 3rd right? No pick). So honestly if there's a really good C/OG then I can see us going there, but other than that I would go Mark Ingram, and would even still pick him if he waas there with the O-lineman.

seahawks509
08-31-2010, 07:51 PM
My fantasy drfat would be

1) Ingram
2) DE, I don't really know were ther ebeing listed at/who would be available then. But I do know Robert Quinn/Greg Romeus will be gone, rest are pretty close.
4) CB
5) OG
6) OG
7) WR

seahawks509
08-31-2010, 07:51 PM
^^ Who voted RB with me :)?!?!?!?!?!

ThUnDeR HaWk
08-31-2010, 11:39 PM
wr aaron binns should be a steal in the late rounds

seahawks509
09-01-2010, 08:59 PM
He a big WR, wouldn't mind having him. I would like to grab a fast blitzing DE/OLB. For a Leo spot.

Boozerguy47
09-02-2010, 02:02 AM
On 710 ESPN this afternoon they were talking about the Seahawks and the chances of getting Locker. Someone pointed out that the Rams and Lions (both teams that could have one of the top picks) already have franchise QBs. Basically, it's between us and Buffalo -- if we were to tank this year, then maybe we could snag Locker. Just something interesting to think about...

House
09-02-2010, 04:19 AM
On 710 ESPN this afternoon they were talking about the Seahawks and the chances of getting Locker. Someone pointed out that the Rams and Lions (both teams that could have one of the top picks) already have franchise QBs. Basically, it's between us and Buffalo -- if we were to tank this year, then maybe we could snag Locker. Just something interesting to think about...

I know we ain't going to win the Super Bowl or anything, but I don't want us to TANK the season either.

I agree, STL and DET will have no need for QB. Teams looking for a QB will be us, BUF and JAC. IMO, we'll end up with Locker, Mallet or Luck. All great QB prospects and all have the potential to be NFL starters.

I know Locker is a Hometown kid, but he's got some improvements to make. Of the 3 mentioned, Ryan Mallet is the MOST NFL ready. With us not completely TANKING the season, we should STILL be able to grab Locker as the 2nd or even 3rd QB taken next draft, not the 1st!!!

furmat60
09-02-2010, 05:24 AM
Out of the 3 QB's you mentioned, I would take locker. I don't care about one being NFL ready right now. Locker has more potential, and is more athletic. I want him to be Matt's successor.

House
09-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Out of the 3 QB's you mentioned, I would take locker. I don't care about one being NFL ready right now. Locker has more potential, and is more athletic. I want him to be Matt's successor.

That's the hope. The Bills or Jags will pick before us and grab the NFL "ready" guy!

furmat60
09-02-2010, 10:12 AM
I could see the Bills doing it....but I don't thing the Jags need a QB quite yet.

House
09-02-2010, 10:26 AM
I could see the Bills doing it....but I don't thing the Jags need a QB quite yet.

Garrard is on his last leg and he's gotta be thankful TEBOW got taken by the Broncos and didn't swing around to JAC in the 2nd rd!

FWBrodie
09-02-2010, 04:28 PM
I know we ain't going to win the Super Bowl or anything, but I don't want us to TANK the season either.

I agree, STL and DET will have no need for QB. Teams looking for a QB will be us, BUF and JAC. IMO, we'll end up with Locker, Mallet or Luck. All great QB prospects and all have the potential to be NFL starters.

I know Locker is a Hometown kid, but he's got some improvements to make. Of the 3 mentioned, Ryan Mallet is the MOST NFL ready. With us not completely TANKING the season, we should STILL be able to grab Locker as the 2nd or even 3rd QB taken next draft, not the 1st!!!

I'm pretty sure Detroit won't even be in the top 5 picks anyway. They've got too many weapons on offense to go along with their much improved defensive line. Detroit is going to suprise people.

Also, I disagree about Mallet being "NFL ready." His footwork is awful. His body might be the most NFL ready, but mechanically speaking he's got just as long a way to go as Locker.

NateyB24
09-02-2010, 05:08 PM

Don't wanna tank the season and its not like Locker is the only top talented QB theres Luck who can throw well on the run which would suite Bates offense just something to think about.

Probaly the whole reason we didn't take a QB in this draft after Bradford there was a huge drop off alot better QBs next year.

I wouldn't mind Locker though he has athleticism i wanna see if he can throw more accurately this year though.