PDA

View Full Version : Western conference declining?

Wade>You
08-29-2010, 04:47 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-ira-nba-column-s082910,0,2851545.column
Amid all this Miami Heat chatter, why exactly isn't anyone talking about the Los Angeles Lakers flirting with history?

Phil Jackson's team, after all, plays in the Western Conference. And he already has coached one 72-win team.

No, this is not a bandwagon of choice, at least not this offseason, what with LeBron James and Chris Bosh joining Dwyane Wade in South Florida.

But the West simply isn't what it used to be.

And now the Denver Nuggets appear to be in fire-sale mode with Carmelo Anthony, which also could mean a selloff of Chauncey Billups. Each could be headed East.

Let's see: The Phoenix Suns lost Amare Stoudemire in the offseason. The Utah Jazz lost Carlos Boozer. The San Antonio Spurs got a year older. The Houston Rockets still don't know whether or not Yao Ming is on his last legs.

Yes, the Dallas Mavericks remain potent. And the Oklahoma City Thunder and Portland Trail Blazers are on the rise after identical 50-32 seasons.

But the difference between the Lakers and second-best in the West might be more substantial than the difference between the Heat and second-best in the East (when factoring in the Orlando Magic and Boston Celtics).

Spurred1
08-29-2010, 05:20 AM
A few things left out of the article:
Utah lost Boozer, but did get Al Jefferson. They still have Paul Millsap and Deron. They'll likely be in the hunt.
The old Spurs bit again..They brought over Splitter, who should make a huge difference. Hill will have another year of development ,and Manu and Parker are healthy. Spurs have added some younger guys this year.
Houston-hasn't Yao been cleared to play? So as long as his minutes are kept in check-he may hold up.
Nobody knows how either conference is going to turn out right now.

stejay
08-29-2010, 05:44 AM
Yeah, I say its shifting to the East....you got the guys who have been good for the last few years, in Boston, Orlando and Miami, and Miami did add James and Bosh as well. Then you could potentially have the Bulls, with their good good team, you never know, the Knicks may spring a surprise, the Nets will be good in a few years, the Hawks have a good young team, and finally, my surprise team ofthis coming season, will be the Bobcats.... Just doesnt compare the the West, with the Lakers, Spurs, Thunder, Mavericks...

stejay
08-29-2010, 05:46 AM
A few things left out of the article:
Utah lost Boozer, but did get Al Jefferson. They still have Paul Millsap and Deron. They'll likely be in the hunt.
The old Spurs bit again..They brought over Splitter, who should make a huge difference. Hill will have another year of development ,and Manu and Parker are healthy. Spurs have added some younger guys this year.
Houston-hasn't Yao been cleared to play? So as long as his minutes are kept in check-he may hold up.
Nobody knows how either conference is going to turn out right now.

Even with what you say, right now, the East is a lot stronger than the West....

NBAfan4life
08-29-2010, 06:02 AM
Everyone has hinted towards this every year since KG and Ray Allen went to Boston. Every year the WC is still noticably better. I dont really see that changing this year

greek miami hea
08-29-2010, 06:46 AM
yeah...east >west

Law25
08-29-2010, 07:31 AM
I think the scales are slightly tipping to the East though the Weast is still bigger but if Melo leaves the East will be the better conference. I personaly hope he does I wanna see New York rocking like i hear some old cats sware it was. Also my Lakers can maybe get through an season healthy by resting our key players in games, and sustain an longer run on top.

stejay
08-29-2010, 07:35 AM
I think the scales are slightly tipping to the East though the Weast is still bigger but if Melo leaves the East will be the better conference. I personaly hope he does I wanna see New York rocking like i hear some old cats sware it was. Also my Lakers can maybe get through an season healthy by resting our key players in games, and sustain an longer run on top.

Thats a possibility... the depth of the Lakers is great, the best in the NBA IMO... Hopefully we will at least make the Western Conference game, and hopefully make the Finals...but I am not tempting fate just yet lol....

Antipod
08-29-2010, 07:36 AM
A lot of changes happened this off season, so it is kinda hard to say. All depends on what will the Heat do :)

stejay
08-29-2010, 07:41 AM
A lot of changes happened this off season, so it is kinda hard to say. All depends on what will the Heat do :)

or the Bulls. Or the Knicks. Or the Magic....etc etc etc. Not just 1 team in the East you know....

SouljahPhil...
08-29-2010, 07:43 AM
nah...The west is still the deeper conference but the east has more title contenders..

stejay
08-29-2010, 07:58 AM
nah...The west is still the deeper conference but the east has more title contenders..

Have to disagree my man.... you just proved yourself wrong in the statement

SouljahPhil...
08-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Have to disagree my man.... you just proved yourself wrong in the statement

you don't get my point dude...East indeed have many title contenders but west is still the deeper conference...If you compare or pair each team against another team in the opposite conference west still is better...I was talking about depth of good teams...

stejay
08-29-2010, 08:23 AM
you don't get my point dude...East indeed have many title contenders but west is still the deeper conference...If you compare or pair each team against another team in the opposite conference west still is better...I was talking about depth of good teams...

I dont know about that, If im honest. Its close, but there are a lot more exciting teams, and young teams coming up, in the East, whilst most in the West are aging, suffering from a lost star, or very rudderless right now.

SouljahPhil...
08-29-2010, 08:33 AM
I dont know about that, If im honest. Its close, but there are a lot more exciting teams, and young teams coming up, in the East, whilst most in the West are aging, suffering from a lost star, or very rudderless right now.

yeah i'm honest myself...As of now the east has more title contenders but the west has more quality teams and deeper than the east...I think you don't get what I mean...I'm talking about depth of good teams on each conference.

JasonJohnHorn
08-29-2010, 08:50 AM
I didnt vote because I didnt see an option I like. Is the west declining? Yes. Is the east getting better? Not really. Philly should see a big turnaround this year, and the Pacers have a solid squad on paper, but neither of these teams will improve. Toronto went from play off contender to basement dweller, and Cleveland went from title contender to the lottery, while Miami went from playoff team, to team that MAY be able to contend IF chemistry works out, and that we have yet to see.

LA will be better than they were last year, and they were the champs. The Celtics look better on paper this year, and they were the Eastern conference champs. Phoenix lost a step, but NY is still struggling to fill their roster up and really dont have a roster that is any better than last season's roster (IMO). The Spurs are getting a big man that in Splitter that may be a huge difference maker, but either way with Duncan, Parker and Ginobili on the team, they are still a solid playoff team that could make a run for a title, and despite their first round knock out last year the Mavs still have one of the deepest rosters in the league, while Utah will likely be as good and the Thunder will likely improve. Denver is a question mark, but even if the West isnt as good as it was three years ago, it is still far superior to the East. Teams like Detroit (who i love) Toronto (who I also love) will have a hard time competing, as will NY and NJ, and Washington as well, and the Bobcats lost their starting point guard. So while some eastern teams may see mild improvement, the west is still stronger over all.

SouljahPhil...
08-29-2010, 08:55 AM
I didnt vote because I didnt see an option I like. Is the west declining? Yes. Is the east getting better? Not really. Philly should see a big turnaround this year, and the Pacers have a solid squad on paper, but neither of these teams will improve. Toronto went from play off contender to basement dweller, and Cleveland went from title contender to the lottery, while Miami went from playoff team, to team that MAY be able to contend IF chemistry works out, and that we have yet to see.

LA will be better than they were last year, and they were the champs. The Celtics look better on paper this year, and they were the Eastern conference champs. Phoenix lost a step, but NY is still struggling to fill their roster up and really dont have a roster that is any better than last season's roster (IMO). The Spurs are getting a big man that in Splitter that may be a huge difference maker, but either way with Duncan, Parker and Ginobili on the team, they are still a solid playoff team that could make a run for a title, and despite their first round knock out last year the Mavs still have one of the deepest rosters in the league, while Utah will likely be as good and the Thunder will likely improve. Denver is a question mark, but even if the West isnt as good as it was three years ago, it is still far superior to the East. Teams like Detroit (who i love) Toronto (who I also love) will have a hard time competing, as will NY and NJ, and Washington as well, and the Bobcats lost their starting point guard. So while some eastern teams may see mild improvement, the west is still stronger over all.

That was my point...very good post...:clap:

stejay
08-29-2010, 09:23 AM
yeah i'm honest myself...As of now the east has more title contenders but the west has more quality teams and deeper than the east...I think you don't get what I mean...I'm talking about depth of good teams on each conference.

I know exaclty what you are on about, just in my opinion, you are wrong. If you go division to division, in the west you have 1 or 2 very good teams....in the East, in the Southeast division you have 4 teams, in the Hawks, Bobcats, Heat and Magic that are contenders for the division, IMO. Obviously it will go most likely to the Heat, but Magic are overall conference contenders, and can beat anyone on their day. The Hawks are a very good young team, and could challenge the Magic, and the Bobcats are my surprise team of the year, I really like their setup over there, and can see them challenging the Hawks and Magic. Then you have the Atlantic, with Boston being title contenders, Knicks having added a lot of depth to the team, and an elite PF in Amare. The Nets,who have a very good young team, and may get Melo, which would make them a very good team. 76ers have a good mix of young and old, and have some good depth, to fill in for the young guards especially. Then you have the Raptors, who I cant see doing much in all honesty. Now to the Central, where you have the Bulls, who I really like coming into this season. I am a big admirer of Rose, and think he will really become a top 3 PG this year. Add a stellar cast of Brewer, Deng, Boozer and Noah, and you have a contender. The Cavaliers I cant see doing too much, but even without Lebron, they could be a banana skin for some contenders. Detroit are a decent, if old, team. Dont expect them to contend too much this year. Indiana arent up to too much, IMO. Then the Bucks have a decent young lineup too.
The West isnt bad, but I wouldnt say it is as good, depth wise, as the East. I think the Trailblazers will be a decent team this year. I like their young lineup, and think they are going to be a force this year. Not a great force, but one big enough to cause a stir in the Division. Then you have the Timberwolvs, who arent really up to much this year. The Thunder could be Conference contenders, but if Durant gets hurt, they are in serious trouble. They rely on him a little too much IMO. The Nuggets will be rudder-less this year. The Jazz, well, even without Boozer, they can still contend, as they have a very good lineup still. The Mavericks, I think, will be the biggest contender to the Lakers. Enough said. The Rockets arent really up to much either, and even though they have some good pieces, they wont be near contenders. Grizzlies have a decent young lineup, with some good pieces in Mayo, Gasol, Gay and Randolph, but I am not too sure about them. They dont seem to have enough killer instinct. The Hornets have a decent lineup, but again, if CP3 goes down, they in in big trouble. The Spurs are the same, near enough as the Mavs. They will be there, or there abouts come reckoning time. The Warriors have some nice players, but even with the addition of Lee, their lack of backup power brings them down in my estimations. The Clippers are OK, but mark my words, wont do anything this year. The Lakers have the best overall team, maybe not the best lineup, but the best overall team,with backups included. The Suns wont be much this year, as they lack real quality big men this year. And the Kings, may spring some shock results and scare teams, but are no-where near challenging the division. Overall, it is pretty close, but I still go with the Eastern Conference

d-baller23
08-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Can't wait to see the All-Star Game.

After Melo moves to the east It'll only be Kobe, CP3 and KD in the West.

East got Dwight, LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Amare, Boozer. & Melo

I would count Boston, but that means you would have to add Timmy D. They old.

stejay
08-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Can't wait to see the All-Star Game.

After Melo moves to the east It'll only be Kobe, CP3 and KD in the West.

East got Dwight, LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Amare, Boozer. & Melo

I would count Boston, but that means you would have to add Timmy D. They old.

Ummm, hello Rajon Rondo.....Paul Pierce is only 32...seems a very selective argument. Plus, the argument is, which has the best teams, not the best players. Its obvious the East has more players. It would be more fair to ask if Mike Tyson could knock out Charlie Brown...its an obvious answer, so lets not ask that particular one, k?

dhopisthename
08-29-2010, 11:00 AM
I still think the west is stronger in reality all that happened is that the heat replaced the cavs , the knicks and bucks got better, and the bulls because a 50 win team. While in the west the only team that on paper is weaker is pheonix but houston should be improved so that makes up for that. Now if carmelo gets traded the denver falls out then it is slightly different, but the west would still be better

Just think of it this way. If the Celtics had been in the west they would have been at best a 6th seed and depending on tiebreakers might have missed the playoffs all together.

Hawkeye15
08-29-2010, 01:26 PM
I think there are fewer ELITE teams out west now. But the strength of the teams 4-12 in the west is still far stronger than that in the east.

Hawkeye15
08-29-2010, 01:27 PM
I still think the west is stronger in reality all that happened is that the heat replaced the cavs , the knicks and bucks got better, and the bulls because a 50 win team. While in the west the only team that on paper is weaker is pheonix but houston should be improved so that makes up for that. Now if carmelo gets traded the denver falls out then it is slightly different, but the west would still be better

Just think of it this way. If the Celtics had been in the west they would have been at best a 6th seed and depending on tiebreakers might have missed the playoffs all together.

agree with the bolded part, for sure

Chacarron
08-29-2010, 01:48 PM
It's like this. There is always 3 teams from the East with top 4 regular season records. But the West 1-10 has better teams than the East.

MrfadeawayJB
08-29-2010, 01:52 PM
The east is definitly more top heavy with championship caliber teams (miami, Boston, Orlando) but the west is superior in depth and overall talent of teams

tredigs
08-29-2010, 01:57 PM
The east is definitly more top heavy with championship caliber teams (miami, Boston, Orlando) but the west is superior in depth and overall talent of teams

All the right answers are going to be some variation of this post.

Overall, the West is the stronger conference. Like last year, it's going to take somewhere close to or above 50 wins to make the playoffs again in that conference. East? 37 should do it.

RaiderLakersA's
08-29-2010, 02:02 PM
We'll see at the end of the season. Will sub .500 teams be in playoff seeding contention in either division at the end of the year? My guess is that the answer is yes, and it will once again be teams in the East.

asandhu23
08-29-2010, 02:07 PM
How about we count all the good players in the Western Conferences and Eastern Conferences?

I'll start:

Golden State Warriors: Monta Ellis, David Lee, Stephen Curry, Reggie Williams, Andris Biedrins

asandhu23
08-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Clippers: Chris Kaman, Baron Davis, Eric Gordon
Lakers: Kobe, Odom, Gasol, Artest
Kings: Tyreke Evans
Grizzlies: Gay, Gasol, Mayo, Randolph
Wolves: Love, Beasley, Brewer, Flynn
Mavs: Nowitzki, Terry, Marion, Kidd
Hornets: Paul, Ariza, Peja, West
Rockets: Battier, Yao, Martin, Brooks, C Lee, Miller, Scola
Jazz: Bell, Jefferson, Kirilenko, Deron
Blazers: Aldridge, Roy, Camby, Miller
Thunder: Durant, Collison, Green, Westbrook
Suns: Nash, Hill, Richardson, Turkoglu, Dragic, Frye, Childress, Dudley
Nuggets: Billups, Anthony ( still but he could be gone ), JR Smith, Lawson, Nene, Martin, Harrington,

jimbobjarree
08-29-2010, 02:42 PM
as of now, the west is still the better and more competitive conference considering like 12th place could probably be a top 6 seed in the east. Give it 2 or 3 years though and that wont be the case. The conference will start declining (mavs, spurs, nuggets, lakers, suns especialy), but right now, its still better.

SouljahPhil...
08-29-2010, 03:52 PM
]I know exaclty what you are on about, just in my opinion, you are wrong. If you go division to division, in the west you have 1 or 2 very good teams....[/B]in the East, in the Southeast division you have 4 teams, in the Hawks, Bobcats, Heat and Magic that are contenders for the division, IMO. Obviously it will go most likely to the Heat, but Magic are overall conference contenders, and can beat anyone on their day. The Hawks are a very good young team, and could challenge the Magic, and the Bobcats are my surprise team of the year, I really like their setup over there, and can see them challenging the Hawks and Magic. Then you have the Atlantic, with Boston being title contenders, Knicks having added a lot of depth to the team, and an elite PF in Amare. The Nets,who have a very good young team, and may get Melo, which would make them a very good team. 76ers have a good mix of young and old, and have some good depth, to fill in for the young guards especially. Then you have the Raptors, who I cant see doing much in all honesty. Now to the Central, where you have the Bulls, who I really like coming into this season. I am a big admirer of Rose, and think he will really become a top 3 PG this year. Add a stellar cast of Brewer, Deng, Boozer and Noah, and you have a contender. The Cavaliers I cant see doing too much, but even without Lebron, they could be a banana skin for some contenders. Detroit are a decent, if old, team. Dont expect them to contend too much this year. Indiana arent up to too much, IMO. Then the Bucks have a decent young lineup too.
The West isnt bad, but I wouldnt say it is as good, depth wise, as the East. I think the Trailblazers will be a decent team this year. I like their young lineup, and think they are going to be a force this year. Not a great force, but one big enough to cause a stir in the Division. Then you have the Timberwolvs, who arent really up to much this year. The Thunder could be Conference contenders, but if Durant gets hurt, they are in serious trouble. They rely on him a little too much IMO. The Nuggets will be rudder-less this year. The Jazz, well, even without Boozer, they can still contend, as they have a very good lineup still. The Mavericks, I think, will be the biggest contender to the Lakers. Enough said. The Rockets arent really up to much either, and even though they have some good pieces, they wont be near contenders. Grizzlies have a decent young lineup, with some good pieces in Mayo, Gasol, Gay and Randolph, but I am not too sure about them. They dont seem to have enough killer instinct. The Hornets have a decent lineup, but again, if CP3 goes down, they in in big trouble. The Spurs are the same, near enough as the Mavs. They will be there, or there abouts come reckoning time. The Warriors have some nice players, but even with the addition of Lee, their lack of backup power brings them down in my estimations. The Clippers are OK, but mark my words, wont do anything this year. The Lakers have the best overall team, maybe not the best lineup, but the best overall team,with backups included. The Suns wont be much this year, as they lack real quality big men this year. And the Kings, may spring some shock results and scare teams, but are no-where near challenging the division. Overall, it is pretty close, but I still go with the Eastern Conference

You my friend are wrong also..Northwest division has 4 contenders and it will be tough to determine who wins that division..Same goes for the southwest.. if Yao gets back to form they will be better than last year..So that is 3 more contender for the division..Only the pacific is a lock for LA to finish no 1 but Suns and clips would not be push over...the 2 other division would be dogfights..Your right about the southeast having 3 contenders but not 4..Charlotte lost their pg and C.. Chicago and the bucks will battle out the central.. C's will win the atlantic...

AS a poster pointed out...East has 4-5 good teams but the depth of teams in the west is still much better..

stejay
08-29-2010, 04:01 PM
You my friend are wrong also..Northwest division has 4 contenders and it will be tough to determine who wins that division..Same goes for the southwest.. if Yao gets back to form they will be better than last year..So that is 3 more contender for the division..Only the pacific is a lock for LA to finish no 1 but Suns and clips would not be push over...the 2 other division would be dogfights..Your right about the southeast having 3 contenders but not 4..Charlotte lost their pg and C.. Chicago and the bucks will battle out the central.. C's will win the atlantic...

AS a poster pointed out...East has 4-5 good teams but the depth of teams in the west is still much better..

I dont see it myself. Youre relying on guys like Yao staying healthy (wont happen). Plus, the Bobcats are better than people make out. They gotta very competitive lineup. Augustin at PG, who is a very good young player. Jackson at SG, a proven veteran. Wallace at SF, who is an extremely good player, and a potential All Star. Diaw is very good, and solid at PF. And you have a good C in Dampier. They are a lot more competitive than people think.

samevans7
08-29-2010, 04:11 PM

this. Outside Chicago, boston, Miami, and orlando, the east is not that good. Portland would be a lock for a 4-5 seed in the east, but they are looked as a 7-9 in the west

outside the lakers in the west, its a stretch for anybody else to win a title. not the same in the east

wmudford
08-29-2010, 04:29 PM
East is top heavy, West is deeper

Venomous88
08-29-2010, 04:53 PM
If Paul and Melo move out East in the next year or so, the East will definitely have a case against the West. That's if they move to different teams though. Say if Melo went to the Nets/Wizards and Paul went to the Knicks, you would have 8 legit teams that could compete with the West where the Grizz, Thunder, Kings, and Blazers are on the rise while the Suns and the Hornets seem to decline. Of course this all hypothetical, so as of now, the East has more contenders, but the West has the depth like said before.

Jewelz0376
08-29-2010, 05:00 PM
I think there are fewer ELITE teams out west now. But the strength of the teams 4-12 in the west is still far stronger than that in the east.

this

The East is more top heavy but the West is still the deeper conference..

Ironman5219
08-29-2010, 05:24 PM
The west has more good teams than the east. The west will still have a team that wins more than .500 not make it into the playoffs. Where the east may have 4 great teams at the top but a bunch of fluf after. If Melo was to go the NY that would make things very interesting.

Great teams per confrense
West ............ East
LA ............ Miami
........... Orlando
........... Boston
Good Teams that can go deep into the playoffs and have a chance to win it all
Utah
San Antinio.......... Atlanta
Portland .......... Chicago
Dallas
Phenox
New Orleans
Denver
Houston

Teams that could suprise people
Clippers .......... knicks
Memphis ........... Milwakee
Sacramento............ Charlotte
Golden State..............

West still trumps the east in overall talent,
Final thoughts:
Miami and the New Bulls are unproven in the east
LA is the best unti someone bumps them off
The Western playoffs will be tougher than the east
There are more good teams in the West so their schedule is automatically tougher
There are more top teir teams in the east, but more depth in the West

Baller1
08-29-2010, 11:24 PM
West is still the Best. It's a lot deeper than the East in terms up upper-tier teams.

unleashthebeast
08-29-2010, 11:42 PM
east>west, but in the future the west can get better. if melo goes to the rockets they are a title contender, and okc and portland are moving up as well

ink
08-29-2010, 11:45 PM
Simplistic article. Go ahead and tell us the Thunder are declining.

The West has tons of talent and the Thunder are on their way up. Really ridiculous article actually. I guess the Sentinel can't be criticized for losing perspective given all the hype.

What?
08-29-2010, 11:56 PM
4 of the most talented young teams in the nba are in the west

Thunder, Portland, Sacramento, Memphis. Minnesota is also very talented so no West still looking good for many years to come

king4day
08-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Utah is a wash because they got Jefferson.
Phoenix I can't argue.
Spurs did get younger with Splitter and if Hill improves enough, they could deal Parker for a need.

In the East, all that happend was, Miami got a PF from a bad team, and got Lebron from a top team. So they replace the Cavs. That's it. The Bulls improved to make the East Elite from Cavs, Celtics, Magic, to Heat, Celtics, Magic, Bulls.

Even in adding the Hawks to the top 5, the 2-9 of the West can compete with any if not all of the rest.

ManningToTyree
08-30-2010, 12:06 AM
The west is by far the the greater of thetwo but slowly the East is gaining ground and will have a great opportunity to overtake the west in the next few years

nanablvd
08-30-2010, 12:17 AM

I have to agree with the other guy that the West is still deeper than the East. Just count the total winning percentage between the West and the East at the end of the year.

PrettyBoyJ
08-30-2010, 12:35 AM
I dont think so.. The west last year had 1-10 with 40+ win and 1-8 with 50+ wins.. the east this year may jus have about 6 good teams with and the bottom half will have mediocre records.. the west are still tough until the east prove us otherwise

BlazingJ
08-30-2010, 12:55 AM
Ok, the West has more good teams than the east. The East has more elite teams than the west. End it there

iggypop123
08-30-2010, 12:55 AM
its a decline but not due to time. is mostly a migration. people have found they cant beat the lakers so rather than join them they are leaving to the east.

WolvesJagsOs
08-30-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm still holding hope that the Wolves can become good in a couple years, and i think they will. Let the bashing begin.

SouljahPhil...
08-30-2010, 01:16 AM
Ok, the West has more good teams than the east. The East has more elite teams than the west. End it there

Bingo!:)

ink
08-30-2010, 01:36 AM
Bingo!:)

Oh really?

So the Heat and the Celtics, 2 teams, and maybe the Bulls, add up to more than the Lakers, Spurs, Thunder, Jazz, Mavs, and maybe the Blazers and Suns?

Baller1
08-30-2010, 01:49 AM
Oh really?

So the Heat and the Celtics, 2 teams, and maybe the Bulls, add up to more than the Lakers, Spurs, Thunder, Jazz, Mavs, and maybe the Blazers and Suns?

Exactly, the East cannot compare to the West's depth.

xbrackattackx
08-30-2010, 02:16 AM
I think it's closer then ever.

SouljahPhil...
08-30-2010, 02:27 AM
Oh really?

you must have quoted the wrong person??? lol I from the start said the west have the depth compare to the east..But the East has more title contenders than the west..I don't consider other teams except for the lakers as contenders for the title as of now...That is just my opinion though..for me..Its lakers,Miami, C's and maybe Orlando as title contenders..

RulerSlick
08-30-2010, 03:25 AM
The West has no title contending teams outside of the lakers. The East has 3....the road to the FInals in the West is a cakewalk while it's a battle to get to the Finals in the East.

stejay
08-30-2010, 06:47 AM
The West has no title contending teams outside of the lakers. The East has 3....the road to the FInals in the West is a cakewalk while it's a battle to get to the Finals in the East.

Spurs? Thunder? Mavs?

And in the East, I count Heat, Celtic, Bulls, Magic, maybe Hawks if they get their young team clicking.... 4 definately, and 1 maybe, taking it to 4-4, or 5-4 depends on what the Hawks do.

DisturbedFTW83
08-30-2010, 08:04 AM
Can't sleep on the East. But the West has dominated, won championships more times than I can remember.

I'm taking a different approach. I'm going to say the West is better because of it's Coaches.

The West have great COACHES. From Phil to Jerry Sloan. They know how to get players to buy into the systems and play great. Western teams repeat because 1. a great coach knows how to keep their team motivated and 2. FO will listen to them in order to keep them at the top of it's respected division.

The players are great in the East, but the one that gels that team together is the Coach and the coaches' credibility enables players to listen and respect. You can say the example of Boston totally throws that reason out the window but before you think that remember how bad the Celtics were before the trades for those 2 guys. Miami won when they traded for Shaq but Dallas was up in that series until they had a mental breakdown.

My point is you see the same teams from the West always in the playoffs. Teams go through different players but the coach stays the same, means playoffs and wins. In the East, well, I can't count how many times my team has changed coaches the past couple years. (Sixers)

West isn't declining, they're like that old kung-fu master that stands at the top for years and then some grand student decides to defeat him. http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/images/smilies/psd2shrug.gif sorry i haven't slept yet since yesterday morning.

SouljahPhil...
08-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Can't sleep on the East. But the West has dominated, won championships more times than I can remember.

I'm taking a different approach. I'm going to say the West is better because of it's Coaches.

The West have great COACHES. From Phil to Jerry Sloan. They know how to get players to buy into the systems and play great. Western teams repeat because 1. a great coach knows how to keep their team motivated and 2. FO will listen to them in order to keep them at the top of it's respected division.

The players are great in the East, but the one that gels that team together is the Coach and the coaches' credibility enables players to listen and respect. You can say the example of Boston totally throws that reason out the window but before you think that remember how bad the Celtics were before the trades for those 2 guys. Miami won when they traded for Shaq but Dallas was up in that series until they had a mental breakdown.

My point is you see the same teams from the West always in the playoffs. Teams go through different players but the coach stays the same, means playoffs and wins. In the East, well, I can't count how many times my team has changed coaches the past couple years. (Sixers)

West isn't declining, they're like that old kung-fu master that stands at the top for years and then some grand student decides to defeat him. http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/images/smilies/psd2shrug.gif sorry i haven't slept yet since yesterday morning.

Were you from the Philippines?

Carey
08-30-2010, 08:26 AM

This

HakeemTheDream
08-30-2010, 08:54 AM
So a league decline is the same thing as a decrease in parity?

DaBUU
08-30-2010, 11:06 AM
East>>West

Bruno
08-30-2010, 05:56 PM
...every single team in the WC playoffs won 50 or more games...

Boozer left, but Jefferson left a bottom dweller to take his place. The Spurs are getting old, but the Thunder are more than making up for that slack. The Rockets would have made the playoffs last year if they were in the east and Yao didn't even suit up all season. They were eight games out from making the playoffs in the west but would have been the 8 seat in the east.

You want me to think the east is stronger now just because Amare left for NY? The east is top heavy, sure. But even with that being said the Lakers are still the best team, as the back to back championships would attest to. The west has the best team, and the most well rounded conference.

evadatam5150
08-30-2010, 07:17 PM
yeah...east >west

Prove it...!!

The West has won 8 of the last 11 titles and 2 of the last 3.. The East has been claiming a power transfer for five years now and still the West keeps winning. I'll believe th 'Hype' once the East starts proving this supposed power transfer.

kArSoN RyDaH
08-30-2010, 08:51 PM
the west is solid they have a lot of slightly above average teams. the east has a lot of starpower. after the powerhouses (boston,miami,orlando,atlanta) the talent level decreases significantly.

kArSoN RyDaH
08-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Prove it...!!

The West has won 8 of the last 11 titles and 2 of the last 3.. The East has been claiming a power transfer for five years now and still the West keeps winning. I'll believe th 'Hype' once the East starts proving this supposed power transfer.

true. i didnt really look at it in terms of championships.

kArSoN RyDaH
08-30-2010, 09:00 PM
...every single team in the WC playoffs won 50 or more games...

Boozer left, but Jefferson left a bottom dweller to take his place. The Spurs are getting old, but the Thunder are more than making up for that slack. The Rockets would have made the playoffs last year if they were in the east and Yao didn't even suit up all season. They were eight games out from making the playoffs in the west but would have been the 8 seat in the east.

You want me to think the east is stronger now just because Amare left for NY? The east is top heavy, sure. But even with that being said the Lakers are still the best team, as the back to back championships would attest to. The west has the best team, and the most well rounded conference.

:clap: