PDA

View Full Version : There is no way to compare players of different eras

DuncanF91
08-28-2010, 11:44 PM
I see a thread about Jordan vs Kobe. This is ridiculous. You cannot compare two players that played in different decades. There are different rules, arguably different competition, and stats are only relative to the season that they were put up in. You could not put Kobe into the '80s and expect him to have the same impact, and you couldn't with Michael in the present day. The game is still evolving, as is the level of play and the style of play. Leave these ridiculous comparisons alone.

sargon21
08-28-2010, 11:45 PM
you can compare them, pretty easily

DuncanF91
08-28-2010, 11:47 PM
How so? You cannot say that the level of play was equal in the two eras.

kArSoN RyDaH
08-28-2010, 11:48 PM
i somewhat agree. to a certain extent players from different eras are comparable. there are the pros and cons of players being compared from different eras. different times mean different circumstances which means different stats and different competition. everyone knows this.

LastChanceToWin
08-28-2010, 11:49 PM
i somewhat agree. to a certain extent players from different eras are comparable. there are the pros and cons of players being compared from different eras. different times mean different circumstances which means different stats and different competition. everyone knows this.

Jordan > Kobe

You mad?

DuncanF91
08-28-2010, 11:50 PM
Exactly. 28ppg in 1988 may not be as easy/difficult in 2010. The reintroduction of the zone defense makes it harder for one person to take over the game and makes it more into a team game.

kArSoN RyDaH
08-28-2010, 11:58 PM

Jordan > Kobe

You mad?

in no way shape or form did i declare kobe > jordan or jordan > kobe. :rolleyes:

its alright if your hating because im from LA. youre a knicks fan. i understand.

Chacarron
08-29-2010, 12:03 AM

Jordan > Kobe

You mad?

Jordan is better than Kobe.