PDA

View Full Version : NBA is basically streetball now - carrying rant Pt. 2

NetsPaint
08-28-2010, 09:07 PM
I've talked about this before, and since then I've been paying attention to the dribbling more and more of what the players of today are doing and while it's not full-on carries I see, correct me if I'm wrong, but the correct way to dribble is with your hand on top of the ball. Pete Maravich is the fanciest NBA ball-handler of all time yet he chose to do it the right way. I see so many players driving and stuff putting their hand on the side of the ball and turning it in so many dribbles, this can't possibly be legal.

Somebody told me he doesn't watch the NBA because the players don't play defense. Well if I wasn't such a fan this crap would make me not want to see it. There's a reason why we see more and more of these spectacular moves these days, because the referees/NBA is too lenient. Between the legs and all that is fine, but not carrying to get by somebody on a straight drive. Athletes may be quicker these days, but they're ball handling is not.

whitemamba33
08-28-2010, 09:15 PM
So you've written this before?

...and now you are doing it again?

If you don't like it, i'm sure golf is on another channel somewhere. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but it clearly bothers you enough to rant about it again, and you aren't going to do anything to change it....so perhaps it's time to follow a different sport.

Jewelz0376
08-28-2010, 09:15 PM
I've talked about this before, and since then I've been paying attention to the dribbling more and more of what the players of today are doing and while it's not full-on carries I see, correct me if I'm wrong, but the correct way to dribble is with your hand on top of the ball. Pete Maravich is the fanciest NBA ball-handler of all time yet he chose to do it the right way. I see so many players driving and stuff putting their hand on the side of the ball and turning it in so many dribbles, this can't possibly be legal.

Somebody told me he doesn't watch the NBA because the players don't play defense. Well if I wasn't such a fan this crap would make me not want to see it. There's a reason why we see more and more of these spectacular moves these days, because the referees/NBA is too lenient. Between the legs and all that is fine, but not carrying to get by somebody on a straight drive. Athletes may be quicker these days, but they're ball handling is not.

Just curious are you over or under 25??

NetsPaint
08-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Under 25, what's your point?

Don't get me wrong, I still love the NBA. It just nitpicks me.

MoBASS
08-28-2010, 09:33 PM
The teams that win championships are the ones that don't play streetball: Lakers, Spurs, Celtics

Jewelz0376
08-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Under 25, what's your point?

Don't get me wrong, I still love the NBA. It just nitpicks me.

My point is that you compare how basketball used to be and say Pistol Pete has the best handles of all time yet, your not even old enough to have watched it... Watching highlights doesnt really count...

I'll admit that todays nba game is more about athleticism than skill at times, but to say todays nba is "basically streetball" is a huge exaggeration..

NetsPaint
08-28-2010, 09:36 PM
My point is that you compare how basketball used to be and say Pistol Pete has the best handles of all time yet, your not even old enough to have watched it... Watching highlights doesnt really count...

I'll admit that todays nba game is more about athleticism than skill at times, but to say todays nba is "basically streetball" is a huge exaggeration..
It is an exaggeration, I know that, but that fancy stuff is a dime a dozen now. It's gotten to the point where players just stand looking at his teammates while carrying.

Avenged
08-28-2010, 11:00 PM
A dribble doesn't make the game street ball.

This thread pretty much reminds me of what Rondo does when he drives with his fake behind the back pass :drool:

It's nothing illegal, the players today are just more athletic.

stejay
08-29-2010, 05:51 AM

how would it possibly be illegal? It isnt travelling, if thats what you mean. I actually like flair and imagination in basketball...

Law25
08-29-2010, 06:34 AM
how would it possibly be illegal? It isnt travelling, if thats what you mean. I actually like flair and imagination in basketball...

This, dont like it dont watch and stop crying about it

D Roses Bulls
08-29-2010, 06:44 AM

man keep going, forget what the haters are saying. they (NBA) have loosened up the rules a lot for entertaining. 95 percent of these people on here dont remember hoops before 2005 probably. they were just being born in the 90's or too young to remember what good basketball was. oh and the people who say close thread should be banned from this site for being so annoying.

stejay
08-29-2010, 06:51 AM
man keep going, forget what the haters are saying. they (NBA) have loosened up the rules a lot for entertaining. 95 percent of these people on here dont remember hoops before 2005 probably. they were just being born in the 90's or too young to remember what good basketball was. oh and the people who say close thread should be banned from this site for being so annoying.

I have been a basketball fan since the late 80's.... and I have no problem with it, if I am totally honest. Sport evolves, sports change. Like the NFL for instance, going from a run orientated, and a defense orientated league, to a passing, entertainment league.... fans have been brought in, and the NFL is the biggest single league on Earth. It is no coincidence that the NBA is going global now, reaching places it never reached before. I believe that entertaining basketball has contributed to this.

D Roses Bulls
08-29-2010, 07:01 AM
I have been a basketball fan since the late 80's.... and I have no problem with it, if I am totally honest. Sport evolves, sports change. Like the NFL for instance, going from a run orientated, and a defense orientated league, to a passing, entertainment league.... fans have been brought in, and the NFL is the biggest single league on Earth. It is no coincidence that the NBA is going global now, reaching places it never reached before. I believe that entertaining basketball has contributed to this.

well thats like comparing apples and oranges. the NFL going from being a primary running game to this pass attack game is just the game evolving from how you play the game. The NBA though is not being changed by the players themselves. its being changed behind closed doors in the commissioners office. the rules have changed, not the style of play its self. I will admit, they shoot too many damn 3's now a days, but still the players would not be traveling or playing like street ballers if the NBA hadn't let them get away with it like they have. they have actually changed how many steps you can take without dribbling the ball and such. why? so players like lebron james can put up more points. if the NBA didnt let these guys get away with this stuff, the players wouldnt be doing it. The NFL today has just forced all teams to game plan differently without changing the rules, the NBA has changed the rules which forces a whole new playing style which like the OP said more like street ball then the NBA.

stejay
08-29-2010, 07:20 AM
well thats like comparing apples and oranges. the NFL going from being a primary running game to this pass attack game is just the game evolving from how you play the game. The NBA though is not being changed by the players themselves. its being changed behind closed doors in the commissioners office. the rules have changed, not the style of play its self. I will admit, they shoot too many damn 3's now a days, but still the players would not be traveling or playing like street ballers if the NBA hadn't let them get away with it like they have. they have actually changed how many steps you can take without dribbling the ball and such. why? so players like lebron james can put up more points. if the NBA didnt let these guys get away with this stuff, the players wouldnt be doing it. The NFL today has just forced all teams to game plan differently without changing the rules, the NBA has changed the rules which forces a whole new playing style which like the OP said more like street ball then the NBA.

so you think the NFL hasnt changed rules to aid QBs?? You would be very much mistaken...And ask anyone, the analogy is correct

NYKalltheway
08-29-2010, 07:45 AM
It is no coincidence that the NBA is going global now, reaching places it never reached before. I believe that entertaining basketball has contributed to this.

Actually, that's pretty much wrong.

Europeans have been playing basketball for a long time. Even have competitive continental cups/leagues since 1957!!!!
Africans have been playing basketball for a long time.
South Americans have been playing basketball for a long time.

I'm not that sure on Asians, but I'm pretty sure that basketball is not that new to them. Maybe the Chinese and Japanese who are more driven by marketing have been influenced, specially with Yao Ming's addition to the league.

The fact that the NBA is more "entertaining" has actually decreased fans from all over the world.
The last time there was huge hype in the NBA was when T-Mac was in Orlando.
This year's finals have brought more attention and everyone loved the 7th game.

The fact is, the NBA is more "entertaining" to domestic fans.
People who loved basketball in the past are now laughing at how it ended up.

As for being streetball due to dribbling, I don't think I can answer that. But I can answer that some of the NBA dribbling moves are not allowed under FIBA rules.

Also know a few Americans who prefer NCAA basketball to the NBA despite not having any affiliation, because it's pure basketball, despite being an Under 23 sport.
And I'm also seeing many Americans loving the World Championship games between other nations.
The NBA has managed to turn itself into a market in the eyes of the world, some don't give a damn and still watch because most of the best players are there, but some just say it's unwatchable. How many times do people want to see Lebron going for the dunk unchallenged?

stejay
08-29-2010, 07:50 AM

Europeans have been playing basketball for a long time. Even have competitive continental cups/leagues since 1957!!!!

I'm not that sure on Asians, but I'm pretty sure that basketball is not that new to them. Maybe the Chinese and Japanese who are more driven by marketing have been influenced, specially with Yao Ming's addition to the league.

The fact that the NBA is more "entertaining" has actually decreased fans from all over the world.

As for being streetball due to dribbling, I don't think I can answer that. But I can answer that some of the NBA dribbling moves are not allowed under FIBA rules.

Also know a few Americans who prefer NCAA basketball to the NBA despite not having any affiliation, because it's pure basketball, despite being an Under 23 sport.
And I'm also seeing many Americans loving the World Championship games between other nations.
The NBA has managed to turn itself into a market in the eyes of the world, some don't give a damn and still watch because most of the best players are there, but some just say it's unwatchable. How many times do people want to see Lebron going for the dunk unchallenged?

Oh, my bad. I meant like, you know seeings there are more international NBA games played now, and such. I know Europeans have always played the game, and you have a big game over there. But I also meant Asia too. I mean, since Yao, I notice a lot more Asian fans on message boards and such. But, you would know more than I would about European and worldwide basketball

stejay
08-29-2010, 07:51 AM

And to the point, I have been a NBA fan since '88, and I have no complaints. Like I said, sports evolve, aint gonna mean i'm gonna whine about it, and not watch it. Im always gonna watch the NBA

NYKalltheway
08-29-2010, 08:29 AM
These rules just make it much easier for players like Lebron to reach Jordan's level in the "legend" scale.

Lebron would have been a very good player back in the 90s, but he would have never been considered one of the best ever.
The way the NBA is played now, there HAS TO BE a star player. Basketball should not be about star players, it should be about great teams. If Lebron is playing by himself at Clevelland and reaches the NBA Finals, he'd be considered a great player, despite most of his points coming from easy, unchallenged drives.

I'm not saying that the NBA should not have any fans and only have critics etc, I still like the NBA, but I can't stand the regular season games. Pure exhibition games unless it's close to the playoffs and teams are battling for a playoff spot.
I remember watching the best player ever STRUGGLING to manage a drive and still scoring 50 points some nights
I see now Lebron scoring the same amount without even getting a scratch and is considered as good by some, or that he'll be considered better eventually!!!

I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy a random game that you missed from the early 90s or mid 90s than a random game you missed from the last 4-5 seasons. I know I would

stejay
08-29-2010, 09:52 AM
These rules just make it much easier for players like Lebron to reach Jordan's level in the "legend" scale.

Lebron would have been a very good player back in the 90s, but he would have never been considered one of the best ever.
The way the NBA is played now, there HAS TO BE a star player. Basketball should not be about star players, it should be about great teams. If Lebron is playing by himself at Clevelland and reaches the NBA Finals, he'd be considered a great player, despite most of his points coming from easy, unchallenged drives.

I'm not saying that the NBA should not have any fans and only have critics etc, I still like the NBA, but I can't stand the regular season games. Pure exhibition games unless it's close to the playoffs and teams are battling for a playoff spot.
I remember watching the best player ever STRUGGLING to manage a drive and still scoring 50 points some nights
I see now Lebron scoring the same amount without even getting a scratch and is considered as good by some, or that he'll be considered better eventually!!!

I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy a random game that you missed from the early 90s or mid 90s than a random game you missed from the last 4-5 seasons. I know I would

Its the same, exactly, with the NFL right now. Rule changes to favor superstar QBs

effen5
08-29-2010, 10:15 AM

I've been watching the NBA since the early 90's and I am actually really bored with the NBA. I really enjoy hard nose defense which is why I like teams like the Spurs...but then again im opposite of most people. In baseball I enjoy a pitchers dual then a homerun filled game.

stejay
08-29-2010, 10:17 AM
I've been watching the NBA since the early 90's and I am actually really bored with the NBA. I really enjoy hard nose defense which is why I like teams like the Spurs...but then again im opposite of most people. In baseball I enjoy a pitchers dual then a homerun filled game.

I used to adhere to that view, but about 2-3 years ago, I just thought, **** it, sports evolve, and started to appreciate the game the NBA is today. Maybe its just me who has watched the NBA since the 80's who feels this.

D Roses Bulls
08-29-2010, 04:51 PM
so you think the NFL hasnt changed rules to aid QBs?? You would be very much mistaken...And ask anyone, the analogy is correct

that is a good point, didnt think about that at the time. Though that rule has changed the NFL, I will stay it hasnt drastically as it has the NBA with their rule changes.

stejay
08-29-2010, 04:59 PM
that is a good point, didnt think about that at the time. Though that rule has changed the NFL, I will stay it hasnt drastically as it has the NBA with their rule changes.

True, but like I said, sports evolve, and change with the times, for better, or in this case, worse

NetsPaint
08-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Sports evolve, but carrying isn't it's only issue. I still love the NBA, but there's so many problems with it. Carrying, extra step allowed, touch fouls, I mean jeez. This is man's sport. Play like it.

stejay
08-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Sports evolve, but carrying isn't it's only issue. I still love the NBA, but there's so many problems with it. Carrying, extra step allowed, touch fouls, I mean jeez. This is man's sport. Play like it.

The light fouls really **** me off.... I mean, wow, I get steamed

AddiX
08-29-2010, 05:30 PM
The light fouls really **** me off.... I mean, wow, I get steamed

I hear you man, it's crazy. And now these guy are so use to getting calls that they complain whenever they are touched.

NBA has taken a nose-dive in quality basketball. I also blame the ridiculous long season and extended 7 game playoff series. No team that wins in 7 wouldn't have won in 5, it's completely pointless.

And the long season is ridiculous, no one even plays defense until the 4th quarter and in the beginning of the year all the superstars just chuck up shots.

NetsPaint
08-29-2010, 05:39 PM
How long has it been 82 games a regular season?

sep11ie
08-29-2010, 06:02 PM
It doesn't bother me that you wrote your rant, that's what this site is about. However I agree with the everyone that's saying the game has to evolve to the fans and players. If not it becomes out dated and stale. My main beef with the nba is the "superstar calls" and refs dictating the outcome of games.

stejay
08-29-2010, 06:05 PM
It doesn't bother me that you wrote your rant, that's what this site is about. However I agree with the everyone that's saying the game has to evolve to the fans and players. If not it becomes out dated and stale. My main beef with the nba is the "superstar calls" and refs dictating the outcome of games.

This sums up everything I have been trying to say on this thread. :D

king2218
08-29-2010, 06:40 PM
NBA hasn't become streetball...I guess what we can say is that its become a little soft over the past 5/6 years. It's a good thing for the league actually cause it boosts up the league's image alot with the new "offensive" playing styles. I personally like the 90s & early 2000s way of playing. The tough defense style of play...Nowadays with all the flopping & ticky tack fouls it sometimes makes the game annoying to watch...especially when you see guys act like they've been tackled...the rule change(s) has bennefited the league & its image...but its made some of the games a lil too boring to watch...it was great when jordan had to go through that piston defense...or the lakers/spurs & the lakers/kings tough defense match up.

LAKERMANIA
08-29-2010, 09:35 PM

yeah if only we lived in a century where we can watch old games without being born in the generation...:rolleyes:

icej
08-29-2010, 11:10 PM

^^^ I cannot agree more.

The reason for this is mainly to deliberately sustain the phenomenal worldwide basketball hype that Jordan left to the game. This clever move by stern to change the rules 2001-2005, benefited today's stars from Kobe to LBJ to future stars. -- And those fans that are not too aware of this are incline to think that today's players are actually better or even greater than the players who played with the old rules.

But these new rules did not make NBA better, just nicer to watch and I can't blame those who would prefer tougher rather than nicer in a supposedly contact sport.