PDA

View Full Version : Downs, Camp, Gregg, Frasor Claimed

idrinkpepsi
08-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Jays RPs Jason Frasor, Scott Downs, Kevin Gregg, Shawn Camp -- don't clear waivers

http://twitter.com/elliottbaseball/status/22313367541

Jays101
08-27-2010, 09:43 PM
kevin gregg was claimed!?!?!?!??!?!

idrinkpepsi
08-27-2010, 09:54 PM
kevin gregg was claimed!?!?!?!??!?!

think the team that had that claim took it off after his outing tonight

:rolleyes:

Eagles4Lyfe
08-27-2010, 10:19 PM
yess gregg has been alright this year nothing special but i hope we trade him and rework our whole BP

T.O. Fan
08-27-2010, 10:19 PM
It will be interesting to see if any of them are dealt. I wonder who put in a claim?

heusy_79
08-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Maybe someone REALLY liked our bullpen and claimed all four :p

Gibby
08-27-2010, 10:49 PM
It will be interesting to see if any of them are dealt. I wonder who put in a claim?

i think it just some lower ranked teams with no intentions of making a trade. Downs, Gregg, Frasor are all cheap and have some sort compensation as FAs so i doubt they got far in the waiver wire. i dont expect a deal.

BlueJayFanDan
08-28-2010, 12:03 AM
I bet a couple could be dealt. Probably Frasor and Gregg. Dunno about Camp and Downs.

Asham
08-28-2010, 12:39 AM
I bet a couple could be dealt. Probably Frasor and Gregg. Dunno about Camp and Downs.

I bet none of them get moved

BlueJayFanDan
08-28-2010, 02:03 AM
I bet none of them get moved

Why do you say that? Teams were after them at the deadline. Some teams really need the extra arm right now and would be willing to pay for it.

Ragun
08-28-2010, 02:07 AM
please get gregg out of here! please!

scaramantula
08-28-2010, 02:10 AM
please get gregg out of here! please!

whats wrong with gregg hes been better than alot of other guys this year

Halladay
08-28-2010, 02:24 AM

you didnt hear? Gregg is the new Miguel Batista.

BlueJayFanDan
08-28-2010, 02:28 AM

5 blown saves, 4 losses, 24 walks, and a mediocre era, blowing leads in non save situations. He has been pretty bad. At least compared to Camp, Downs, Janssen, and Purcey. He is better then Tallet and arguably Frasor though any other year I prefer Frasor.

bomber0104
08-28-2010, 02:46 AM
Why do you say that? Teams were after them at the deadline. Some teams really need the extra arm right now and would be willing to pay for it.

thing is.. some of the lower teams have nothing to lose by claiming these guys and hope the Jays just give them up so they can claim the picks themselves. There is a very low chance that these guys actualy got well deep through waivers to reach a team in the race and one that is willing to actually trade something of value for 1 month of their services

BlueJayFanDan
08-28-2010, 02:52 AM
thing is.. some of the lower teams have nothing to lose by claiming these guys and hope the Jays just give them up so they can claim the picks themselves. There is a very low chance that these guys actualy got well deep through waivers to reach a team in the race and one that is willing to actually trade something of value for 1 month of their services

I know that it's possible but teams like the Reds, Giants, Cardinals among others in my opinion could all use another bullpen arm. I'm sure a few other teams too so you never know.

Nofear
08-28-2010, 06:54 AM

You think someone is going to pick up Gregg, offer arby and then hope like hell he doesn't take it? What if he does or same situation with the others like Downs, and they accept?

Thats the thing overlooked by some. Down would be 6 million or more of an offer to qualify him. Thats a **** load of coin to turn down for him.

I get what your saying but there definately is risk involve and I seriously doubt its something a low level team will do. Most likely, its a contender blocking those guys from the big spenders. Someone such as the Cards putting in claims on Downs or whoever, so they can stop him from getting to Philly or Giants who may very well make a deal.

I just find it so unlikely that low teams would be interested in assuming huge risk to get a pick or two.

Asham
08-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Most of the teams claiming them are teams that have no intention of acquiring them and just blocking other playoff teams from getting these players.

nithanyo
08-28-2010, 12:52 PM
I would hope they all go to one team and we get a stud player in return

scaramantula
08-28-2010, 01:12 PM
so... has anyone heard anything yet?

Asham
08-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Probably wont hear until Tues so dont get too excited

fatkev78
08-28-2010, 02:52 PM
At this point, the Jays probably will not be moving any of their relievers.About 85 hours remain for teams to acquire players for October.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/22358971934

bomber0104
08-28-2010, 02:59 PM
You think someone is going to pick up Gregg, offer arby and then hope like hell he doesn't take it? What if he does or same situation with the others like Downs, and they accept?

Thats the thing overlooked by some. Down would be 6 million or more of an offer to qualify him. Thats a **** load of coin to turn down for him.

I get what your saying but there definately is risk involve and I seriously doubt its something a low level team will do. Most likely, its a contender blocking those guys from the big spenders. Someone such as the Cards putting in claims on Downs or whoever, so they can stop him from getting to Philly or Giants who may very well make a deal.

I just find it so unlikely that low teams would be interested in assuming huge risk to get a pick or two.

I guess there is something to that but these teams probably won't offer anything to make it worth while for the jays.. the Jays aren't desperate to just give any of these guys away

joshhorvath
08-28-2010, 03:01 PM

You dont knwo if Downs can get dealt?! hes a Class A FA this summer, so if he gets traded this waiver he'll get dealt for what he wouldve at the trade deadline.

ktownguy31
08-28-2010, 03:07 PM
5 blown saves, 4 losses, 24 walks, and a mediocre era, blowing leads in non save situations. He has been pretty bad. At least compared to Camp, Downs, Janssen, and Purcey. He is better then Tallet and arguably Frasor though any other year I prefer Frasor.

ya your forgetting the 30 saves he has fool,4 blown is better that bj ryans 20 blown that he had

adid727
08-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Gregg has been good, he did not only save games for us, he also saved our ***. Remember when jason frasor had like 3 blown saves in the first five or six save opportunities he had. If it was not for Gregg we would have been leading the majors in blown saves the way bautista is leading the league in home runs. He is not the best closer out there, but he will be a solid middle reliever on any contending team.

Nofear
08-28-2010, 03:40 PM
I guess there is something to that but these teams probably won't offer anything to make it worth while for the jays.. the Jays aren't desperate to just give any of these guys away

This is true, thats why I expect no deals to happen at all. Its blocking most likely.

If the Jays thought there's a chance of a deal, they bench those guys today but that hasn't happened so no deal is on the horizon

Asham
08-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Why are people so upset with Gregg? First of all, we got this guy off that scrap heap. Second he wasnt even supposed to be our closer yet he still is. If you think the guy is Mariano Rivera you've got to lower your expectations a little bit.

BlueJayCarter
08-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Gregg has been good this year like others have said for someone who wasn't even going to be a closer, and kind of has resurrected his career in Toronto just a little bit, and is cheap.

Will any of them move, I don't think they will. I don't know if the management of the Blue Jays think that they might be able to make a push for the wildcare. Will only be 9.5 out if the Yanks or Rays lose playing both of them to start Semptember.

T.O. Fan
08-28-2010, 06:41 PM
ya your forgetting the 30 saves he has fool,4 blown is better that bj ryans 20 blown that he had

Mr. T? Is that you?

How many years did it take for BJ to get 20 blown saves?

Asham
08-28-2010, 07:02 PM
What happened to BJ ryan anyways?

StealingSigns
08-28-2010, 07:55 PM
What happened to BJ ryan anyways?

After being released by the Blue Jays, he signed on with the Chicago Cubs in July 2009, but a month later he asked for his unconditional release as his velocity wasn't returning.

He hasn't pitched since.

B2theRY
08-30-2010, 01:30 PM
i rather BJ Ryan throwing right handed then Gregg.

JimBob
08-30-2010, 01:59 PM

The most saves Ryan blew in one season was 5. He was elite until he got hurt.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4133

wamco
08-30-2010, 06:51 PM
i guess he was worth giving the LARGEST CONTRACT IN THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL TO A RELIEF PITCHER.

Whoda thought that would be a bad idea?

BlueJayCarter
08-30-2010, 07:23 PM
The most saves Ryan blew in one season was 5. He was elite until he got hurt.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4133

B.J Ryan was not elite. Not by a long shot. He was above average for several of the seasons before his injury, possibly on the cusp of elite in his 2006 season with the Blue Jays as that season his numbers were sick and only had one okay season after.

Gregg is no where near elite as well, more average doing above average reliever work this year. Which isn't that bad on this team right now.

nstojic
09-01-2010, 08:40 AM
The better relievers on non-contenders, such as Toronto's Kevin Gregg and Scott Downs, have been claimed and long ago blocked from possible trades. What's left are what executives call "change of scenery guys,'' players with ability who are having poor seasons.

According to a list compiled by **************.com, these are a few of the players who cleared waivers and are eligible to be traded: Carlos Beltran, Geoff Blum, Craig Counsell, Edwin Encarnacion, Kelly Johnson, Adam LaRoche, Lyle Overbay, George Sherrill and Brian Tallet.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_heyman/08/31/waiver.trade.deadline/index.html

Eagles4Lyfe
09-01-2010, 12:23 PM
woah wth so someone blocked downs and gregg ehh i just want to know which team did that