PDA

View Full Version : Crawford Will Request Trade if Not Granted Extension

Gators123
08-27-2010, 07:50 PM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/08/27/jamal-crawford-will-request-trade-if-not-granted-extension/

Atlanta Hawks guard Jamal Crawford plans to ask for a trade if he is not given an extension in the near future, a source close to him told FanHouse. The 11th-year veteran averaged 18 points last season, winning the league's Sixth Man of the Year award while helping the Hawks to a 53-29 record before they were swept by the Orlando Magic in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

Crawford's is not the only situation at hand for Hawks general manager Rick Sund, who must also decide whether to lock up forward Al Horford by the league's Oct. 31 deadline for extending rookie contracts. If Horford does not sign an extension this summer, the Hawks can resume negotiations next summer when Horford will be a restricted free agent. The Hawks have until June 30, 2011 to extend Crawford's contract.

Having seen the Hawks give Joe Johnson a five-year, $119 million contract, Crawford is of the belief he shouldn't be without long-term security all season long. The tenor of forthcoming discussions regarding Horford could come into play as well, as Crawford will certainly grow even less patient if the Hawks moves quickly on securing the forward's future.

Previously known as a volume shooter, Crawford has certainly raised his value since he was traded to Atlanta last summer, as his one season with the Hawks was the first time in his career that his high-scoring ways didn't go for naught. He reached the playoffs for the first time in his career, and his field-goal percentage of .449 and three-point percentage of .382 were his highest over a full season.

It's not known how motivated, if at all, Sund is to extend Crawford. But clearly, Crawford wants out sooner rather than later if Sund doesn't envision him in the Hawks' long-term plans. If Sund does opt to trade Crawford, there would be no shortage of suitors, as Crawford's explosive scoring off the bench and $10 million expiring contract could help any team

save the knicks
08-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Come back home Jamal!

Tony_Starks
08-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Don't take it there Crawford! If he keeps playing his game lights out like he has been they'll have no choice but to extend him.

These guys need to quit letting their agents get in their ear.....

Wade>You
08-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Sucks to be the Hawks; you have to overpay these guys just to keep your 4/5th seed team in the East with no real title chances.

save the knicks
08-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Don't take it there Crawford! If he keeps playing his game lights out like he has been they'll have no choice but to extend him.

Didnt you get the memo? The players run the league now!

LTBaByyy
08-27-2010, 07:57 PM
dang everyone wants a trade these days

AddiX
08-27-2010, 08:03 PM

pretty much, after the BS this off-season it's basically guaranteed there will be a lockout.

tcav701
08-27-2010, 08:18 PM
The power players have owners in the NBA is absurd.

Hawkeye15
08-27-2010, 08:19 PM
after they just gave JJ a billion dollar extension, I doubt they cave into the demands of a 30 year old who just had an efficiency spike but has never contributed to a winner prior really.
Basically, when you are 2nd on the depth chart at your own position, you shouldn't make a ton of demands.

netsgiantsyanks
08-27-2010, 08:25 PM
this is a travesty i must say!! next thing you know, darko milicic will average 12/10 and ask for a extension. this is how bad this **** is getting.

Tony_Starks
08-27-2010, 08:30 PM

Haha! yeah I know right? Wish these guys would just shut the hell up and play already. The NBA is turning into the real life version of enterouge.

*Silver&Black*
08-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Sucks to be the Hawks; you have to overpay these guys just to keep your 4/5th seed team in the East with no real title chances.

Screw that and the LUCK that your team (HEAT) came in on.

If Crawford wants a trade, trade him. No need to pay him.

SA5195
08-27-2010, 08:36 PM
What's up with bench players requesting/demanding trades these days :pity:

Wade>You
08-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Screw that and the LUCK that your team (HEAT) came in on.

If Crawford wants a trade, trade him. No need to pay him.Pat Riley doesn't need luck.

Tmo440
08-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Please, come back home to Chicago.

smith&wesson
08-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Id like to see crawford back in a knicks uni playing with amare.

Giants88
08-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Doesn't sound like jamal to me..

DeShaun Brown
08-27-2010, 09:00 PM

What's up with bench players requesting/demanding trades these days :pity:

This! The nerve of this guy. :facepalm:

sep11ie
08-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Well yea, with the new cba coming up he has to try to get paid as much as he can. Shoot, he's the top scorer off the bench in the league, and should continue that. No point in demanding a trade though if the team getting him is planning on extending him or he's in the same boat and might as well stay with a ply off team.

Kakaroach
08-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Amazing what happens when a player has one great season. I really hope the NBA doesn't become the NFL where just because a player doesn't get an extension he wants to be traded.

Mr Moody
08-27-2010, 09:59 PM
lol he's not just some bench player. He was the sixth man of the year

Hangtime
08-27-2010, 10:00 PM

Man, you are so right. Because these guys aint winnin no title.

Kashmir13579
08-27-2010, 10:10 PM
after they just gave JJ a billion dollar extension, I doubt they cave into the demands of a 30 year old who just had an efficiency spike but has never contributed to a winner prior really.
Basically, when you are 2nd on the depth chart at your own position, you shouldn't make a ton of demands.

who knows how much money he's asking for though? i'd say he's worth a 5 year mid level deal, even if he is 30. if not i think his talents could be used on a legitimate title contending team. it is kinda crappy of him to demand a trade like so many others have been doing; but he was always one of my favorite players. i think he deserves some long-term insurance:flag:.
Lets face it, if he has another great year he's gonna get money thrown at him by somebody in FA.

VinceCarter
08-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Jamal would be a starter on a lot of teams.

Sadds The Gr8
08-27-2010, 11:04 PM
you're a mod now? woot!

On topic though I can't believe he's askin for an extension/trade...this is getting ridiculous

Tmath
08-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Don't like the direction the NBA is going

Kakaroach
08-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Don't like the direction the NBA is going
Exactly what I'm talking about. Just because of a new CBA he is going to request to be traded so he can get an extension somewhere else. I personally hope he doesn't get the extension, even if he gets traded. Would send a message to most everyone else not to pull this crap.

Bricklayer
08-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Hey Jamal, not a great way to kick the reputation of being a me-first, perennial loser your whole career.

knicksfan23
08-27-2010, 11:26 PM
come home my boy

titanchased
08-27-2010, 11:39 PM
He would be just what the Knicks need. Starting SG perfect. I would love it.

Hawkeye15
08-28-2010, 12:52 AM
you're a mod now? woot!

On topic though I can't believe he's askin for an extension/trade...this is getting ridiculous

yeah, I just got promoted to mod.

And a player his age should indeed be in negotiations for an extension. But by no means should a player who in 2nd on his teams depth chart, who just experienced a one year spike, in efficiency, be asking for a deal or else, at his age and history

ManningToTyree
08-28-2010, 01:06 AM
Ny needs a 2. I know he loved playing here and we sucked at the time. Now we have playoff potential. I don't know what they would need in return for a sixth man?

Antipod
08-28-2010, 06:33 AM
He should keep his mouth shut and play to his best, then he`ll get his $ and contract.
And btw, after giving THAT contract to JJ, i don`t think they`ll make the same mistake with Crawford .

td0tsfinest
08-28-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm really surprised. Jamal had a great year with the Hawks and was starting to get some respect around this league. Disappointing to see he wants after a good season. It really seems like the players are taking control of this league.