PDA

View Full Version : Pistons columinist Langlois on why Mcgrady signed 1 year deal

JordansBulls
08-27-2010, 03:17 PM
http://www.nba.com/pistons/chat_mailbox/mailbag_100826_1.html

Naif (Davis, Calif.): I’ve admired McGrady for a while now, since he played for Orlando, and I’m really glad the Pistons signed him. His attitude and confidence as well as his desire to work with Arnie Kander is awesome. I really think he will do well and, like he said, “shock people.” My question is if he does do really well, is it possible for Joe to re-sign him for the 2011-12 season?

Langlois: McGrady was only interested in signing a one-year deal this summer. At 31, he expects to sign a multiyear deal (and likely for something well above the veteran’s minimum he settled for this time) next year.

So he expected to get a good contract after this next season. So more than likely he signed with a team he probably knew he could get the most time with and that had a decent shot of making the playoffs.

PrettyBoyJ
08-27-2010, 03:40 PM
hope it works out for him, not a bad idea on his part he can showcase his talent and show other teams he still got it and sign with a contender next season.. hopefully there's no lock out

BOSTON617
08-27-2010, 03:44 PM
ya makes sense

Raps18-19 Champ
08-27-2010, 03:49 PM
I don't think Pistons are close at making the playoffs.

Cavs have a better chance and they don't have someone to replace Lebron.

JWO35
08-27-2010, 03:53 PM
I could also see McGrady getting traded before the deadline...if he gets the starting spot at SG/SF(Which means Tay or Rip is moved), and he has 2 hot weeks leading up to the All-Star Break.

streetballa
08-27-2010, 05:06 PM
T-Mac sign with the Pistons for 1 main reason, no one else wanted him and Pistons were willing to take the low-risk involved in a veteran's minimum deal since they have nothing to lose this season.

cantstopthee
08-27-2010, 05:10 PM
10,000 points a game.

TheWatcher34
08-27-2010, 05:11 PM
So he expected to get a good contract after this next season. So more than likely he signed with a team he probably knew he could get the most time with and that had a decent shot of making the playoffs.

not even close will the Pistons be for a playof spot.

otherwise i agree, in detriot he will get his minutes and he can shoot and score and get his ppg up in order to sign a lucrative deal with a good team.

...if he stays healthy.

Gators123
08-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Your crazy to say "Not even close" to a playoff spot. Just about every team in the east have a shot at the 8th seed.

GuySir
08-27-2010, 05:23 PM
The thing I don't really understand about the whole "tmac signed with detroit because he'll get more minutes" logic is the Pistons biggest issue was a logjam at SG and SF.

I do understand signing with Detroit as the only team willing to bring him in, but there must be other teams with more minutes available at his 2 positions. The following players should see time at either the 2 or 3 spot this year in Detroit: Stuckey, Gordon, Hamilton, McGrady, Prince, Daye, Summers, Jerebko, Terrico White, and possibly Will Bynum. That's a lot of players to spread the minutes to, so I don't see it as McGrady coming in because there's a ton of minutes for him. Not that he WON'T get minutes, I just figure he signed after no one else offered.

llemon
08-27-2010, 05:28 PM
T-Mac sign with the Pistons for 1 main reason, no one else wanted him and Pistons were willing to take the low-risk involved in a veteran's minimum deal since they have nothing to lose this season.

And we have a winner

Raoul Duke
08-27-2010, 05:30 PM
We got him for the vet min. It's incredibly difficult for me to buy into the logic that we were the only team interested in getting him for one year at 1.2 million. Thats a bargain.

Antipod
08-27-2010, 05:30 PM
A think he` s done ... even if he has an average year, i wonder who we`ll give him more than a part from MLE

Dr.J>YOU
09-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Mcgrady is done.

fadedmario
09-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Sooooo many Detroit haters....

RipCity32
09-05-2010, 06:50 PM
pistons will make the playoffs you guys just cant look past last year this team has talent

Stuckey#3
09-05-2010, 07:17 PM
pistons will make the playoffs you guys just cant look past last year this team has talent

I agree. They still have a good shot at playing spoiler to several teams with less experience and more talent. We still have three starters from the '04 team. They might be old but the payoff will come this year. There is too much talent on this roster not too make the playoffs if they can stay somewhat healthy. Miss the playoffs one year and the entire league starts talking ****. Hey I like Kobe all right, IMO he is the best player in the game, but remember when LA missed the playoffs a few years ago? There was no where near the amount of disrespect our boy are getting.

97NYer
09-05-2010, 07:46 PM
How is he gonna get PT.

Stuckey/Bynum
T-Mac/Rip/Gordon
Prince/Daye/Summers

BkOriginalOne
09-05-2010, 07:50 PM
I thought this was obvious.
Tmac is not done, because he can defend and pass, he just needs to go the Suns and Replace Grant Hill. The Suns trainers could bring the most out in Tmac.

Gators123
09-05-2010, 08:02 PM
I thought this was obvious.
Tmac is not done, because he can defend and pass, he just needs to go the Suns and Replace Grant Hill. The Suns trainers could bring the most out in Tmac.

Arnie Kander disagrees :)

blastmasta26
09-05-2010, 08:03 PM
How is he gonna get PT.

Stuckey/Bynum
T-Mac/Rip/Gordon
Prince/Daye/Summers
That's what I wondered too. Pistons are deep in the guard forward spots, they're gonna have to make a trade to accomodate T-Mac but there'd be no reason to do that since he's definitely gone next year.

fadedmario
09-05-2010, 08:08 PM
He'll get time. Prince will more than likely be moved soon.

thescore53
09-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Sooooo many Detroit haters....

i know right.its ridicoulous

fadedmario
09-05-2010, 08:25 PM
i know right.its ridicoulous

The raptors and pistons games will be war this year with all the sig bets between our fans. should be fun. good luck this year, you raptor fans are all cool in my book. Also I think Ed Davis could be a surprise in this draft. if he would have come out last year he would have been a top 5 pick. :)

thescore53
09-05-2010, 08:32 PM
The raptors and pistons games will be war this year with all the sig bets between our fans. should be fun. good luck this year, you raptor fans are all cool in my book. Also I think Ed Davis could be a surprise in this draft. if he would have come out last year he would have been a top 5 pick. :)

thanks man. both our futures are looking bright...

BillyHoyle35
09-05-2010, 08:55 PM
That's what I wondered too. Pistons are deep in the guard forward spots, they're gonna have to make a trade to accomodate T-Mac but there'd be no reason to do that since he's definitely gone next year.

maybe prince gets time at the 4 with some small ball?

llemon
09-05-2010, 09:03 PM
McGrady signed with Pistons because he found some sucker that would sign him.

And I don't see him playing all that many minutes.

MTar786
09-05-2010, 09:04 PM
I agree. They still have a good shot at playing spoiler to several teams with less experience and more talent. We still have three starters from the '04 team. They might be old but the payoff will come this year. There is too much talent on this roster not too make the playoffs if they can stay somewhat healthy. Miss the playoffs one year and the entire league starts talking ****. Hey I like Kobe all right, IMO he is the best player in the game, but remember when LA missed the playoffs a few years ago? There was no where near the amount of disrespect our boy are getting.

i dont understand ur sig?
firstly i didnt know ben wallace was 6'8 lol

secondly are u talking about all the trouble he gave shaq in the 04 finals?
the finals shaq from what i remember was averaging like 38 and 15 in?

fadedmario
09-05-2010, 09:10 PM

Our philosophy in that Finals was to let him score and shut down everyone else. It worked pretty good. We won in 5 with an average of 20+ more points a game than LA. Quit hating when you don't know what your talking about.

llemon
09-05-2010, 09:13 PM

Shaq vs. Pistons, '04 Finals

26.6ppg, 10.8rpg

But you were close.

Stuckey#3
09-05-2010, 09:35 PM

The NBA has Ben listed as 6'9. And this quote was from him. I understand that it may have been tough to understand. So I changed it up. ;)

Dr.J>YOU
09-05-2010, 10:57 PM

Who is going to lead them?

fadedmario
09-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Who is going to lead them?

Stuckey

Dr.J>YOU
09-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Stuckey

Then yeah, they aren't making the playoffs.

Raoul Duke
09-06-2010, 11:10 AM

No, I don't remember that particular series because it doesn't exist. I do, however, remember the one where he averaged basically what he'd been averaging up to that point, and we beat his team in five games. Pretty decisive.

Dr.J>YOU is apparently a master baiter.

MTar786
09-06-2010, 11:13 AM
The NBA has Ben listed as 6'9. And this quote was from him. I understand that it may have been tough to understand. So I changed it up. ;)

lol ya it is tough to understand when the guy averaged 38 and 15 against him

Raoul Duke
09-06-2010, 11:15 AM
lol ya it is tough to understand when the guy averaged 38 and 15 against him

^26 and 10

Unless you're talking about something other than the 2004 Finals.

MTar786
09-06-2010, 11:22 AM
No, I don't remember that particular series because it doesn't exist. I do, however, remember the one where he averaged basically what he'd been averaging up to that point, and we beat his team in five games. Pretty decisive.

Dr.J>YOU is apparently a master baiter.

i could be wrong in the stats i said.. basically this stuckey guy said ben wallace punked shaq in the series
lets see shaqs totals

game 1 shaq had 34 and 11 on 13 of 16 shooting
game 2 shaq had 29 and 7
game 3 shaq had 14 and 7
game 4 shaq had 36 and 20
game 5 shaq had 20 and 8

ya, shaq averaged 26.6 and 10.6

my bad.. sorry about my wrong nums.. the series i think i was talking about was against indiana.
but still how does that count as ben wallace punking shaq? thos are better nums than his season averages for that season

MTar786
09-06-2010, 11:23 AM
^26 and 10

Unless you're talking about something other than the 2004 Finals.

ya sorry bro. i think i meant against indiana in 2000.. was beast numbers

MTar786
09-06-2010, 11:25 AM
yup in the 00' nba finals in 6 games shaq averaged 38 and 17. INSANE

Raoul Duke
09-06-2010, 11:26 AM
but still how does that count as ben wallace punking shaq?

Simply put, it doesn't. Ben did an admirable job on Shaq throughout his career, though. You can't really fault a guy for not shutting down Shaq. It's like trying to guard a mountain.

phillychi009
09-06-2010, 11:32 AM
i think he would have fit better with the Bulls, i do think he will have a good year and avg something like 16-18 points and maybe 5-7 rb and 3 ast.

slack_justin
09-06-2010, 03:13 PM
i don't think pistons are close at making the playoffs.

Cavs have a better chance and they don't have someone to replace lebron.

hater alert!

slack_justin
09-06-2010, 03:20 PM
and i liked ed davis as well

thekmp211
09-07-2010, 12:13 AM
in all reality, tmac is probably the best creator on the team. neither stuckey nor bynum is a "pure" pg. hamilton lives off the ball. he could average quite a few assists if he doesn't pass it to ben gordon.

JasonJohnHorn
09-07-2010, 08:37 AM
This is a symbiotic relationship. The Pistons are rebuilding and didnt want any long term deals and needed a scorer who could entertain fans and help sell some tickets and some jerseys during a season that will likely see the team miss the playoffs again, and will likely see key players like Prince and Hamilton shipped off in a trade of some sort. Just as Joe D. did when the Pistons were rebuilding after Grant Hill's departure, Joe D will use McGrady as he used Stackhouse, go out there and give the fans something worth watching even if the team itself isnt competing every night.

For McGrady it is a chance to show the league that he still has some game, and I dont doubt that he does. He is only 31 after all. Is he looking for a long term deal that is over the MLE? Or is he looking for a contender that would actually show interest in having him play a bigger role in the rotation than 12th man? I imagine that he would prefer to play for a contender at this point in his career, and should he do well with the Pistons he will NOT be wearing blue red and white next season. Boston? Miami? LA? Who knows, but regardless of how the situation turns out, whether McGrady stinks it up or is lighting it up, he wont be back in D-town next season, because he will either be too good, or too bad.

Bob_at_york
09-07-2010, 09:48 AM
http://www.nba.com/pistons/chat_mailbox/mailbag_100826_1.html

I don't understand how he is going to get a lot of playing time with Ben, Prince and Rip also on the wings.