PDA

View Full Version : [Poll] - Do small market teams have a shot to win the title?

JordansBulls
08-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Do small market teams have a shot to win the title?

It seems every small market team nowadays that has a star, ends up wanting out to go to bigger market teams.

How will small market teams ever succeed if this is the case? And why would these same small market teams even want basketball teams if only the larger market teams will forever win titles?

daleja424
08-27-2010, 02:56 PM
that is kind of the nature of sports. the lowly teams get the best prospects, develop them, and then the stars go to bigger markets. this is very much the case in a lot of sports.

Jewelz0376
08-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Do small market teams have a shot to win the title?

It seems every small market team nowadays that has a star, ends up wanting out to go to bigger market teams.

How will small market teams ever succeed if this is the case? And why would these same small market teams even want basketball teams if only the larger market teams will forever win titles?

Spurs are a small market team and they've had success... OKC is a small market team and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they won a title 3-4 years from now...Portland is a small market team and they have a bunch of talent that could compete for a title 2 or 3 yrs from now if they could stay healthy..

I think players want to play with other good players more so then playing for a big market and there are some good players on small market teams..

97NYer
08-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Ask the Spurs.

JordansBulls
08-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Spurs are a small market team and they've had success... OKC is a small market team and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they won a title 3-4 years from now...Portland is a small market team and they have a bunch of talent that could compete for a title 2 or 3 yrs from now if they could stay healthy..

I think players want to play with other good players more so then playing for a big market and there are some good players on small market teams..

Bulls were a small market team as well in the 80's and then had a lot of success, and now we are considered a big market team.
Pistons were a small market team as well in the 80's and then became a big market team as well.

But I'm referring to these organizations that have stars now that aren't known to be a big market team like Denver, New Orleans, Atlanta, etc.

Baller1
08-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Spurs, OKC, and Portland come to mind.

JordansBulls
08-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Ask the Spurs.

When Duncan came to the Spurs there was already an established star on the team. It's not like he went to a team that was horrible and that was doing nothing prior to him arriving. Now had he gone to the Spurs and Robinson was never there, he may very well had done the same thing these other stars are doing.

I'm sure none of these other stars would leave either if they came in with a star already on the team as well.

mikantsass
08-27-2010, 03:05 PM
OKC can win, Orlando can win, San Antonio can win, Blazers can win

abe_froman
08-27-2010, 03:06 PM
yeah spurs never win :rolleyes:

the problem isnt with all stars,just those represented by www/caa/leon rose,those have been the only ones whining this summer....and there is the new cba coming up and there are way more small market owners than big one's,so to get an agreement is to give into them

mikantsass
08-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Bulls were a small market team as well in the 80's and then had a lot of success, and now we are considered a big market team.Pistons were a small market team as well in the 80's and then became a big market team as well.
But I'm referring to these organizations that have stars now that aren't known to be a big market team like Denver, New Orleans, Atlanta, etc.

Last time I checked, Chicago and the greater Chicago area (along with Detroit) is a pretty large area that is heavily populated....

save the knicks
08-27-2010, 03:07 PM
So Texas is a small market now eh?

PrettyBoyJ
08-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Bulls were a small market team as well in the 80's and then had a lot of success, and now we are considered a big market team.
Pistons were a small market team as well in the 80's and then became a big market team as well.

Believe it or not Atlanta is in the top 10 in the media market

tredigs
08-27-2010, 03:08 PM
OKC just resigned the best young talent in the game for another half decade extension - so, apparently yes.

mikealike305
08-27-2010, 03:09 PM
not anymore

abe_froman
08-27-2010, 03:10 PM
the hell you talking about,chicago has been the 3rd largest city in the us for a very long time now.their problem was being a small market,it was sucky ownership

PrettyBoyJ
08-27-2010, 03:10 PM
So Texas is a small market now eh?

jus the city of San Antonio

mikealike305
08-27-2010, 03:15 PM
what exactlly is a small market team? cuz i keep seeing spurs and OKC..... last time i checked san antonio texas isnt small market... and OKC is what? 30 something most populated city in america? so what is small market cuz i voted no but maybe i dont know

Slimsim
08-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Can some one name The small market teams I think texas teams are consider a big market team. Chciago, LA, Boston Big markets

PrettyBoyJ
08-27-2010, 03:21 PM
what exactlly is a small market team? cuz i keep seeing spurs and OKC..... last time i checked san antonio texas isnt small market... and OKC is what? 30 something most populated city in america? so what is small market cuz i voted no but maybe i dont know

small market isnt referring to population, its referring to media.. San Antonio has a small media market as well as OKC

JordansBulls
Last time I checked, Chicago and the greater Chicago area (along with Detroit) is a pretty large area that is heavily populated....

yes it is, but for basketball we were a small market team. We averaged 5000 fans before we struck gold with MJ. We were a big market in football and baseball, but it wasn't until MJ came that we became a big market in basketball.

stejay
Ummm, yea...
You got San Antonio Spurs and Oklahoma City Thunder, who could be contenders this season, then you have a team who could be good in a few years in Sacramento Kings, and another maybe in the Bobcats...

PrettyBoyJ
08-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Can some one name The small market teams I think texas teams are consider a big market team. Chciago, LA, Boston Big markets

http://www.proadvance.com/topmediamarkets.html

Dallas and Houston have big markets, not San Antonio

mikealike305
08-27-2010, 03:25 PM
small market isnt referring to population, its referring to media.. San Antonio has a small media market as well as OKC

the media as far as the city itself or the media surrounding the team?

Slimsim
08-27-2010, 03:34 PM

Thanks then OKC is at the top of the list but I give their team a few more year before they become Contenders

PrettyBoyJ
08-27-2010, 03:35 PM
the media as far as the city itself or the media surrounding the team?

the city.. cities like NY, LA, and CHI have big markets because of the population, with a large population the media coverage it bigger then other cities

jobie420
08-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Portland

VinceCarter
08-27-2010, 03:46 PM

Chicago and Detroit small market? Maybe in 1751 they were....

VinceCarter
08-27-2010, 03:50 PM

CT number 28 let's goooooooooo. Bring a pro team here already, cheapos.

thescore53
08-27-2010, 03:56 PM

miami isnt a big media market either. but lebron is ;)

thescore53
08-27-2010, 03:58 PM
16 Cleveland-Akron
17 Miami-Ft. Lauderdale
;)

dhopisthename
08-27-2010, 04:09 PM
um
16 Cleveland-Akron
17 Miami-Ft. Lauderdale
18 Denver
Although I bet miami gets higher now :)

king4day
08-27-2010, 04:10 PM
THey do, but the window is usually very small. As seen with Toronto and Cleveland. Top draft picks usually sign one long term contract and then decide after that what they want to do.
Durant may be next on the list. So it's important for OKC to do whatever it takes to win a ring with him there.

Same goes for Washington. Chances are, Wall will resign with them and he'll be there for the better part of this decade. They need to add pieces and build around him.
With success comes talent. It showed in Cleveland and San Antonio, and will show in OKC as well.

NYKNYGNYY
08-27-2010, 04:12 PM
not anymore...

ifhmondays
08-27-2010, 04:15 PM
right now okc, milwaukee, and portland are the only 3

thescore53
08-27-2010, 04:34 PM
THey do, but the window is usually very small. As seen with Toronto and Cleveland. Top draft picks usually sign one long term contract and then decide after that what they want to do.
Durant may be next on the list. So it's important for OKC to do whatever it takes to win a ring with him there.

Same goes for Washington. Chances are, Wall will resign with them and he'll be there for the better part of this decade. They need to add pieces and build around him.
With success comes talent. It showed in Cleveland and San Antonio, and will show in OKC as well.

it also doesnt mean big market teams can hold on to their stars,.. small market team do have trouble usually siging players not beacause of where they play but the owners dont wanna shell out too much. that clearly isnt the case in toronto(which actually is top 4 nba market) and cleveland

blacknell
08-27-2010, 04:37 PM
not in the nba but they do in the nfl

thescore53
08-27-2010, 04:42 PM
spurs, heat, detroit, arent top markets but they won and miami looks to win 3 more

NYKalltheway
08-27-2010, 04:51 PM
They have a shot at winning a title.

But it's more rare to have dynasties.

San Antonio are the pleasant surprise but I wouldn't call them an actual dynasty. They had a top team for a few years, but they never went back-to-back finals etc, but people could call them a dynasty.

Hangtime
08-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Small markets have won it all before and currently there are a few small market contenders.