PDA

View Full Version : what do you think about this kid.

thescore53
08-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Thirteen-year-old Andrew Wiggins will be a member of the 2014 recruiting class. It's far too early to project where he's going to go to college. Heck, it's probably far too early to even be talking about a 13-year-old basketball player. The whole thing feels weird and exploitative, like when Billy Gillispie had to be told to stop soliciting commitments from 12-year-olds. It's naughty.

But I would be remiss if I didn't at least pass along the video of Master Wiggins -- already 6-feet-6-inches tall -- dunking the basketball with ease. Over and over again. In game situations

Mr. Wiggins appears to already have a fine-tuned post game; he's taking drop steps and hitting little baby hooks with both hands. This actually makes sense: Wiggins, a Canadian citizen, is the son of former NBA player Mitchell Wiggins and Marita Payne, an Olympic track star from Canada. The two met when they were student-athletes at Florida State.

Anyway, he's quite impressive. Unbelievably impressive, actually. I wonder how many times a weekend he has to show tournament organizers his birth certificate.

(HT: Hoopmixtape.com via Alex)

click here (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Meet-the-best-13-year-old-basketball-player-you-?urn=ncaab-196850)

he's only thirteen and and some are saying he has the potential to be the best.

thescore53
08-27-2010, 01:21 PM
"I can definitely understand why people say that," Ro Russell, founder and coach of AAU powerhouse Grassroots Canada, said. "The things he does sometimes make you want to say that and then you have to check yourself and try to look at it from a neutral stance. But the potential is definitely there for him to be one of the best ever - and not just from Canada."

king4day
08-27-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm sure we'll hear about him soon enough.
Here's a couple of key things that caught my eye.

1. His name closely resembles that of Ralph Wiggums from the Simpson's. This is terrific.
2. I was really impressed with the pass from a kid near the end of the video. That was impressive.

Antipod
08-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Heck, i can`t even say what Griffin/Wall will be for this league and you ask us about a 13 year old x//

stejay
08-27-2010, 01:34 PM
You never know... It is rare for HS phenoms, or even pre-High School phenoms to fulfill their true potential, when other players catch up with him in size and ability. You never know. He could be a Schea Cotton or a Lebron James....you can ever be too sure until they hit college really

PrettyBoyJ
08-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Im guessing if your 6'6 playin 5'5 13 year olds you would like Michael Jordan.. I'd like to see him play with ppl with the same skill level and same size as him then we all can make a better assessment

HakeemTheDream
08-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Hakeem didn't even start playing basketball until he was 15. For this kid to be this good at 13 (so he hasn't had his growth spurt yet) is pretty crazy

thescore53
08-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Im guessing if your 6'6 playin 5'5 13 year olds you would like Michael Jordan.. I'd like to see him play with ppl with the same skill level and same size as him then we all can make a better assessment

he plays with guys 4 years older than him and dominates

Dol-Fan
08-27-2010, 02:18 PM

This. It's pretty clear from the video that the dudes around him aren't 5'5.

I hope he turns out to be something big, love the prospects coming out of Canada right now.

D-Train#35
08-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Canadian? Awesome. National team could use a legit NBA star.

WeAreClutch
08-27-2010, 02:41 PM
nice

td0tsfinest
08-27-2010, 02:46 PM
He's got a great pedigree. Father played nba ball, while his mother was an olympic track star. I'm definitely liking the direction Canadian Basketball is going. We've been developing some quality talent.

Lakersho
08-27-2010, 02:48 PM
great story and ya the kid has what it takes , but he could either be great or be the next almost great with a severe knee injury coulda been . I'll wait til he's a senior in high school then give a evaluation. to much time , and to much can happen in that time. But as of right now ,He's a bad mofo. Hope he stays injury free, We can always use some fresh , new players with skills...

tredigs
08-27-2010, 02:56 PM

So did Lance Stephenson.

He's a baller for sure, but there's a lot of obstacles between 8th friggin' grade and the NBA. "Potential to be the best ever"? Shut up, media.

EL HEAT
08-27-2010, 02:59 PM
I like the pass from the white kid at the end..

LastChanceToWin
08-27-2010, 03:08 PM
He ****ing sucks. He is 6'6'' so he is always the tallest player on the court.

PrettyBoyJ
08-27-2010, 03:17 PM

they may be 4 years older than him, but are they playing at the same skill level.. watching that video he dominated both ends, and no one seem to be able to contain him or at least return the favor and dominate him

SouthSideRookie
08-27-2010, 03:44 PM
click here (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Meet-the-best-13-year-old-basketball-player-you-?urn=ncaab-196850)

Here we go again(Lebron):facepalm:

thescore53
08-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Here we go again(Lebron):facepalm:

is this a bad thing ?

Ware_Spencer
08-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Kids growth spurts happen younger and younger now days so he might stop growing in 2 years. I stopped growing when I was 14 years old. I grew 8 inches in 1 year. And I stayed short..... :(

Way too young to think anything of it really. There is plenty of players at his height or even taller who are quick and can jump high. Means nothing unless he works on his game a lot and gains more weight. 5 years away before we know anything.

DeShaun Brown
08-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Ask me again in about 5 or 6 years.

DeShaun Brown
08-27-2010, 08:53 PM
He ****ing sucks. He is 6'6'' so he is always the tallest player on the court.

WOW! Calm down buddy. He's only 13.

Mochalman
08-27-2010, 09:17 PM
so does this mean Toronto will win the lottery, draft him, 7 years later he will screw them over?

to LastChanceToWin, I bet 2k that he can beat you 1vs1

knicksfan42
08-27-2010, 09:21 PM

The dunks are nice, but all that shows is great athleticism, something of which there is no shortage of in the NBA. Maybe the kid will be great I don't know, but the video doesn't convince me. Now that I think about it almost anyone who is 6'6 and isn't morbidly obese can dunk.

KnicksorBust
08-27-2010, 09:22 PM
He's got a great pedigree. Father played nba ball, while his mother was an olympic track star. I'm definitely liking the direction Canadian Basketball is going. We've been developing some quality talent.

That's the first thing that jumped out to me as well. That and his height make him interesting. It's still tough to get too excited about a 13 year old though.

Draco
08-28-2010, 04:10 AM
I didn't realize the guy from Ender's Game could ball.

GreatMustachio1
08-28-2010, 04:26 AM
eventually the playing field will even out. so he better keep practicing hard and working on all the little things or he'll fall off the radars

GreatMustachio1
08-28-2010, 04:28 AM
That's the first thing that jumped out to me as well. That and his height make him interesting. It's still tough to get too excited about a 13 year old though.

hi im Chris Hansen with Dateline NBC

Kashmir13579
08-28-2010, 04:53 AM
I'm sure we'll hear about him soon enough.
Here's a couple of key things that caught my eye.

1. His name closely resembles that of Ralph Wiggums from the Simpson's. This is terrific.
2. I was really impressed with the pass from a kid near the end of the video. That was impressive.

lmao. thats one of the best responses ever.

mvb815
08-28-2010, 05:00 AM
all those kids seemed pretty tall, what are they feeding kids nowadays

cubs0707
08-28-2010, 05:03 AM

:laugh::laugh:

SugeKnight
08-28-2010, 06:29 AM
Over hyped for 3 reasons

1. Hes from Canada, and having a star player from Canada would be great for the NBA and FIBA.
2. He's 6'6".
3. He's 13

PistonsFan14
08-28-2010, 06:32 AM
We'll see you never know what can happen in 3 years.

Celtic AL
08-28-2010, 06:51 AM

your Brownies & Lemon Aid taste good :D

Celtic AL
08-28-2010, 06:57 AM

years later this kid goes to a top notch school like Florida and becomes the Next Great one! and then when hes done with college he gets Drafted to the Cavs and signs a 7 year deal and after his 7 year deal runs out he'll have his own one hour special on Espn and signs with the heat :up:

Celtic AL
08-28-2010, 02:45 PM
years later this kid goes to a top notch school like Florida and becomes the Next Great one! and then when hes done with college he gets Drafted to the Cavs and signs a 7 year deal and after his 7 year deal runs out he'll have his own one hour special on Espn and signs with the heat :up:

im allways a thread Ruiner :sigh: