PDA

View Full Version : #2 seed in the West? You tell us:

tredigs
08-26-2010, 05:57 AM
In conjunction with that "who's overrated?" thread, thought I'd see who is actually rated where in the Western conference.

We all know that the Lakers are the favorites to land the 1 seed, so let's see who you all think has the best chance at the 2nd seed [this will give us a better idea of who the actual users have rated where, top votes will be 2nd seed, 2nd most votes would at least somewhat correlate to the 3rd seed, etc].

If you can manage, avoid the lame one word responses with nothing else [adds nothing, and we can already see who you voted for]. Give a little insight into why you think they'll have the best chance at the 2 seed [or at the least, HCA].

Minimal
08-26-2010, 06:36 AM
Portland or Dallas, I'm going with Portland.

greek miami hea
08-26-2010, 06:39 AM
its got to be dallas...they have a vry nice and completed team

heatbb
08-26-2010, 06:47 AM
OKC, I really think they have the best chance. Mavs are only getting older and didn't improve much with the Chandler trade.

bholly
08-26-2010, 06:58 AM
It's hard to come to a conclusion that you're in any way certain about when they were all so close last year. A 5 win difference between 2nd and 8th is nothing - a few lucky bounces, a half inch or so on a few buzzer beaters, a few bad foul calls, and those standings could've been a lot different.

Firstly, I don't see the Rockets being THAT good after a season of no Yao - especially if he doesn't even make it back fully. They should be better, but not better enough.

Declining teams:
Suns. I'm a big Nash and G Hill fan, and not much of an Amare fan, but I can't see them being nearly as successful without him, even with the replacements they got (although I'd love to be proved wrong).
Spurs. I like their team, and I think they will make the playoffs and can do some damage there, but with core guys that age they aren't going to run through the regular season to the extent you need to to get top 2 seed, even if you're as optimistic as possible about Splitter.

Could go either way:
Mavs: Chandler may be a bit of a boost, I guess, but like the Spurs they have a few core guys on the wrong side of the age curve, so it's hard to say what the overall effect will be. First full season with Caron works in their favour.
Nuggets: Decent pickup in Harrington, and more importantly getting their coach back, but there're too many potential lingering problems (Melo rumours, JR Smith being insane) to be too confident about them.
Jazz: Lost Boozer, gained Jefferson. It's hard to say how that will affect the team in terms of wins. They had some good runs last year, and managed to beat Denver in the playoffs, but I still see it as less likely that they make it than Denver or Dallas.

On the way up:
Portland: another year of development for a young team, and more importantly hopefully a return from some injuries. If they can stay injury free, they really should have more wins than last year.
Oklahoma: Another team definitely on the rise, and 5 wins isn't that much of a deficit to overcome. With Durant only getting better, and the surrounding players also being young and doing the same, they should be dangerous. Hopefully Cole Aldridge can give some of the help they need up front.

So, overall, I think for me it's the Thunder, Blazers and Mavs, with the Nuggets possibly sneaking in if they manage to put all their drama behind them. If I have to pick one, I'm going to say Thunder, but it's so so close. At this point, nobody can possible know.

Khalifa21
08-26-2010, 07:05 AM
If Greg Oden can stay healthy for 75+ games, the Blazers. If not, the Mavs.

_KB24_
08-26-2010, 07:06 AM
Dallas, they're the second best team in the West and have the second most complete team. Simple. Nuggets and Spurs round out the top 4 IMO.

Raidaz4Life
08-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Mavs

Antipod
08-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Blazers, if healthy

NBA-GMaster
08-26-2010, 07:47 AM
TrailBlazers

airronijordan
08-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Blazers if completely healthy....if they're not healthy then I have the Thunder being the #2 seed

stejay
08-26-2010, 08:55 AM
I'mma say Spurs

todu82
08-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Dallas

pebloemer
08-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Jazz for me.

D.Will, Raja Bell, Kirilenko, Jefferson and Okur is an excellent starting 5.
Sloan won't let them coast throughout the season.
Hayward, Miles, Price and Millsap do well to round out the rotation.

With health, Jazz is my second best team regular season team in the West.

I might take Spurs or Dallas in the playoffs though.

king4day
08-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Mavs now have a full camp together with their newbies so they might get it. If Portland is healthy (oden), then they'll get it.
The Thunder did nothing really to improve outside of getting a year older. They'll be a top 4 seed I'm sure, but not as high on them as most.

Avenged
08-26-2010, 11:04 AM
I got the Mavs for this one. They have perhaps as much depth as the Lakers, they're build enough to make it to the WCF or perhaps Finals if they can get it all together. I wouldn't count them out in the regular season to give the Lakers a run for their money but I won't be taking them too serious once the playoffs come around due to their past disappointments.

tredigs
08-26-2010, 02:45 PM
It's hard to come to a conclusion that you're in any way certain about when they were all so close last year. A 5 win difference between 2nd and 8th is nothing - a few lucky bounces, a half inch or so on a few buzzer beaters, a few bad foul calls, and those standings could've been a lot different.

Firstly, I don't see the Rockets being THAT good after a season of no Yao - especially if he doesn't even make it back fully. They should be better, but not better enough.

Declining teams:
Suns. I'm a big Nash and G Hill fan, and not much of an Amare fan, but I can't see them being nearly as successful without him, even with the replacements they got (although I'd love to be proved wrong).
Spurs. I like their team, and I think they will make the playoffs and can do some damage there, but with core guys that age they aren't going to run through the regular season to the extent you need to to get top 2 seed, even if you're as optimistic as possible about Splitter.

Could go either way:
Mavs: Chandler may be a bit of a boost, I guess, but like the Spurs they have a few core guys on the wrong side of the age curve, so it's hard to say what the overall effect will be. First full season with Caron works in their favour.
Nuggets: Decent pickup in Harrington, and more importantly getting their coach back, but there're too many potential lingering problems (Melo rumours, JR Smith being insane) to be too confident about them.
Jazz: Lost Boozer, gained Jefferson. It's hard to say how that will affect the team in terms of wins. They had some good runs last year, and managed to beat Denver in the playoffs, but I still see it as less likely that they make it than Denver or Dallas.

On the way up:
Portland: another year of development for a young team, and more importantly hopefully a return from some injuries. If they can stay injury free, they really should have more wins than last year.
Oklahoma: Another team definitely on the rise, and 5 wins isn't that much of a deficit to overcome. With Durant only getting better, and the surrounding players also being young and doing the same, they should be dangerous. Hopefully Cole Aldridge can give some of the help they need up front.

So, overall, I think for me it's the Thunder, Blazers and Mavs, with the Nuggets possibly sneaking in if they manage to put all their drama behind them. If I have to pick one, I'm going to say Thunder, but it's so so close. At this point, nobody can possible know.

Good post. This is the type of answer I was looking for, and one that I agree with almost entirely; giving OKC the slight edge, but with the Blazers and Mavs having virtually equal odds at that 2nd slot, and an outside chance to the powers. It really will be too close to call.

As far as the early votes goes, it looks like PSD voters think the Mavs have the inside lane to the 2nd seed, Thunder the 3rd, and then the Blazers/Rockets/Spurs all fighting for the 4/5/6.

Concerning the "who's overrated?" thread, as far as the western conf. and PSD is concerned, I don't think anyone is. Those pre-season rankings look just about right to me.

Mavs now have a full camp together with their newbies so they might get it. If Portland is healthy (oden), then they'll get it.
The Thunder did nothing really to improve outside of getting a year older. They'll be a top 4 seed I'm sure, but not as high on them as most.
I've gone over this too many times to do it fully again, but I disagree. I think their glaring weaknesses were perimeter shooting depth, length/defensive presence down low, and experience/development; they addressed all of these issues.

WeBallin
08-26-2010, 02:53 PM
I picked Yao, oh excuse me i mean Houston.........i jus think wYao back after havin major foot issues if he is as healthy as everyone is reportin now i think they have a good chance bein # 2 they have an Legit Center an a underated PG in Brooks

Hawkeye15
08-26-2010, 02:54 PM
I think the Rockets, if they can finally have a healthy Yao and Martin combo, can win 55 games or so and grab the #2 seed. More importantly, I think they can challenge the Lakers better than anyone come playoffs. High scoring PG's give them problems, they have Yao who isn't intimidated with the size up front for LA, shooters, rebounders, and intensity players. Adelman is a great coach, and a playoff coach.
OKC, Portland, and record wise, Dallas, could all fight for the #2 seed as well.

Baller1
08-26-2010, 02:56 PM

Why do people underrate the additions of Cole Aldrich and Daequan Cook so much? Do you know what absolutely killed the Thunder last season? A big body in the post, and a sharp shooter who could knock down the open jumper.

Hmmm... sounds like the perfect roles for Aldrich and Cook (and Mo Pete if he's still on the team once the season starts).

Hawkeye15
08-26-2010, 03:01 PM
hahaha, how is it not an advantage for OKC to "get a year older?" when all their players are super young and just went to the playoffs for the first time? If anything, they now have a renewed level of intensity and focus because they saw the difference between the regular season and the playoffs for the first time. Adding Cole is eh, whatever. Depth. But Durant is poised to become a top 3 player this year, and Westbrook, Green, Harden, and the rest of the group will be focused from day 1 on a bigger goal, not just making the playoffs.
On top of that OKC has better shooters and defenders this season too

Skizzik
08-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Okc

Sportfan
08-26-2010, 03:32 PM
I love how the lakers fan makes this poll without putting LA in it. :rolleyes: homer much?

tredigs
08-26-2010, 03:34 PM
If you can manage, avoid the lame one word responses with nothing else [adds nothing, and we can already see who you voted for]. Give a little insight into why you think they'll have the best chance at the 2 seed [or at the least, HCA].

Mavs

Portland or Dallas, I'm going with Portland.

TrailBlazers

I'mma say Spurs

Dallas

Darwin will get you all eventually...

I love how the lakers fan makes this poll without putting LA in it. :rolleyes: homer much?

Try again. And why would I put the Lakers on a "favorites for the 2 seed" poll? They are clearly the favorites to win the conference. No use in skewing the poll results for what I'm trying to figure out. Darwin will have his way with you as well I'm afraid : ]

The_Jamal
08-26-2010, 03:36 PM
im a big fan of the Rockets this season to make some noise. Brooks-Martin-Battier-Scola-Healthy Yao is just nasty. But it's really a virtual toss-up between Portland/Mavs/Rockets for the 2 spot, mainly depending on the health of the squads

So for now, Rockets are my pick with a healthy Yao

Jewelz0376
08-26-2010, 03:43 PM
When it comes down to it I see the Mavs...Butler will have a full training camp to get used to the Mavs system and Chander appears to finally be 100%, so he will be a huge defensive presence inside..Sure he doesnt have much of an offensive game, but he can at least finish inside a better because of his athleticism..

The Mavs are usually a pretty good reg season team, but I def wouldn't be surprised to see them finish with #2 seed and get bounced in the 1st round again, especially if the west is as competitive as it was last year, which I'm sure it will be..

Jewelz0376
08-26-2010, 03:47 PM
hahaha, how is it not an advantage for OKC to "get a year older?" when all their players are super young and just went to the playoffs for the first time? If anything, they now have a renewed level of intensity and focus because they saw the difference between the regular season and the playoffs for the first time. Adding Cole is eh, whatever. Depth. But Durant is poised to become a top 3 player this year, and Westbrook, Green, Harden, and the rest of the group will be focused from day 1 on a bigger goal, not just making the playoffs.
On top of that OKC has better shooters and defenders this season too

One thing OKC has against them is that it will be a different story for them in the regular season than last year, because last year they stuck up on every1, but this year with all their hype teams are def going to be ready for them... Not saying that will fall under the pressure but I think a #2 seed is too big of a jump..I see them being a 4/5 seed

DeyAce
08-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Dallas with Spurs close behind

pebloemer
08-26-2010, 03:56 PM

I'm not a Lakers fan, so I'm trying to come in unbiased here.

They have won the past two championships.
They have won the Western Conference 3 straight years.
They are being projected by pretty much every basketball writer to win the West again.
They've added more talent to the team that just won.

Is it not widely assumed they are the favourite to win the West again? How is it homerism to see them as the favourite?

Chronz
08-26-2010, 03:59 PM
The only way the Mavs get the 2 seed is if this RB kid becomes a stud. But if you guys are hoping on them winning the 2nd seed in similar fashion as last year, your all insane. They had the worst expected winning % among western squads and they were ravaged by injuries the way a few other top teams were. Simply put, the odds of them repeating such a high winning% without significant improvement are slim. Unlike teams like Portland who only have to hope they dont get screwed over or OKC where most of their core players are improving each year.

Sportfan
08-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Darwin will get you all eventually...

Try again. And why would I put the Lakers on a "favorites for the 2 seed" poll? They are clearly the favorites to win the conference. No use in skewing the poll results for what I'm trying to figure out. Darwin will have his way with you as well I'm afraid : ]

Clearly the favorites? They won the west by 2 ****ing games. Dallas added Butler Haywood and Chandler. Beubois is getting better and better. Your clearly being a homer.

Bluffmasta
08-26-2010, 04:00 PM
by putting the lakers automatically into the first seed are we not overrating them ? something called age and injuries that could hinder their chances to obtaining the first seed.

Chronz
08-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Clearly the favorites? They won the west by 2 ****ing games. Dallas added Butler Haywood and Chandler. Beubois is getting better and better. Your clearly being a homer.
Your only focusing on what your team did. What about the Lakers additions and possible improvements from within?

Chronz
08-26-2010, 04:07 PM
by putting the lakers automatically into the first seed are we not overrating them ? something called age and injuries that could hinder their chances to obtaining the first seed.

It hindered them last year, at some point youve got to think Bynum puts up one great season. If hes around they can win 65+, and age can be held against every team in some way, and the ones that cant lack the star power.

tredigs
08-26-2010, 04:08 PM

As valid as your points might be (except for the dude who still thinks I'm a Lakers fan... puked in my mouth a bit on that one), they're irrelevant.

If I did a "who do you think are the favorites to win the Western Conference?" poll, the Lakers would win in a landslide. And probably deservingly so; they picked up some nice depth in the off-season, and Kobe should be playing at a level comparable to last year (some will say better) being that he's taken much of the summer off for once in order to heal.

So, I'm skipping that useless step and going straight to #2. But by all means, feel free to take the initiative and make that poll, rather than ***** to me.

PrettyBoyJ
08-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Mavs.. there a good reg. season team

Baller1
08-26-2010, 05:03 PM

The Lakers are the clear favorites, I don't see any way to think otherwise. Let's come back down to reality now.

Meanwhile, Dallas will continue to choke and dissapoint.

dhopisthename
08-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Why do people underrate the additions of Cole Aldrich and Daequan Cook so much? Do you know what absolutely killed the Thunder last season? A big body in the post, and a sharp shooter who could knock down the open jumper.

Hmmm... sounds like the perfect roles for Aldrich and Cook (and Mo Pete if he's still on the team once the season starts).

Hopefully cook can return to the form he had prior to the 3 point competition he has horrible since, to the point that he got barely any playing time last year

And I picked the jazz, but really need to see how jefferson looks. I think he is much better for Utah because boozer did not have a chance against size and with okur being more of a outside player usually the better interior defender defended booz. What I think Jefferson can do is score against anyone which can make more consistent because booz is more a jumpshooter and when his shot was off the team struggled. That was why you would see them go on a ten game win streak against quality oppenents and then a horrible team would beat them. Basically homer pick because way to early to tell.
A few thoghts on the teams though.

Mavericks-worried about age, but should have a few good years left

Okc- young but talented let's see if they can continue to make strides, think they can, but feel they get a little overrated when people say that they took the lakers to six when clearly Kobe wasn't right till his knee got drained

Giants-49ers-Ws
08-26-2010, 05:27 PM
who cares

won't beat the lakers

Wade>You
08-26-2010, 05:29 PM
I'll go with the Jazz

dhopisthename
08-26-2010, 05:30 PM
who cares

won't beat the lakers

That's not true ever team is one injury from not mattering

td0tsfinest
08-26-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm going with Dallas. The seem to always put together a great season, year out. They have a quality team, that hasn't really changed much. They've added Tyson Chandler. Who should give them a huge boost down low. If he can imitate those numbers he put up a couple of years ago with JKidd running the point, he could prove to be valuable.

JordansBulls
08-26-2010, 05:41 PM
The Thunder, but they will get upset in the playoffs this year.

Wade>You
08-26-2010, 05:42 PM
The Thunder, but they will get upset in the playoffs this year.Interesting pick and prediction.

JordansBulls
08-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Interesting pick and prediction.

Well there two best players are going to get better. So to me that is always an indication that you will do better as a team.

Jewelz0376
08-26-2010, 06:01 PM
That's not true ever team is one injury from not mattering

Really???

Captain Obvious over here lol

dc5jdm
08-26-2010, 07:24 PM
It has to be Dallas they always have a good regular season, but choke at the end.

beasted86
08-26-2010, 07:27 PM
ESPN has brainwashed many about the Thunder

tredigs
08-26-2010, 08:11 PM
ESPN has brainwashed many about the Thunder

They were a 50 win team that finished 5 games off of the 2 seed last year (and tied in record with the 6th seed). They got better over the off-season by a decent measure; I'm not sure it's any stretch to consider them an HCA team.

And, ESPN brainwashing? I've seen A LOT of the Heat on ESPN (rightfully so), can't say I've seen much of anything about the Thunder. You guys will realize just how good this team is pretty soon here. Them and the Blazers are without a doubt the future of the Western Conference elite at this point.

Sixerlover
08-26-2010, 08:15 PM
I remember in '07 people were calling the Blazers the "future" of the West. Here we are in 2010 and they're still the "future" of the west. I really never see them reaching the potential that everyone still seems to have for them. A yearly 2nd round exit at best.

Avenged
08-26-2010, 08:36 PM
I remember in '07 people were calling the Blazers the "future" of the West. Here we are in 2010 and they're still the "future" of the west. I really never see them reaching the potential that everyone still seems to have for them. A yearly 2nd round exit at best.

Yep, and we're still waiting.

Now though, OKC is becoming that team of the future to many and rightfully so. But they're being overrated just because the Lakers didn't end up sweeping them. They played the Lakers tough but at the end of the day they lost in the first round.

The Blazers certainly have the potential as well but it's no secret injuries have taken a toll on them.

Reyes6
08-26-2010, 08:37 PM
People are really overrating the Thunder.

beasted86
08-26-2010, 08:46 PM
They were a 50 win team that finished 5 games off of the 2 seed last year (and tied in record with the 6th seed). They got better over the off-season by a decent measure; I'm not sure it's any stretch to consider them an HCA team.

And, ESPN brainwashing? I've seen A LOT of the Heat on ESPN (rightfully so), can't say I've seen much of anything about the Thunder. You guys will realize just how good this team is pretty soon here. Them and the Blazers are without a doubt the future of the Western Conference elite at this point.

I've gone over this with others, but I've made it clear 50 wins in the West is no amazing feat IMO. Teams don't play defense in the West like they do in the East, and there are a bunch of young teams unlike the East which is more veteran laden.

The Thunder haven't improved much at all. They added Daequan Cook, and Morris Petersen (two SGs who couldn't get off the bench for winning teams), and Cole Aldrich. Sorry, but I don't see much improvement with these additions.

Their only growth is internal growth, and the same can be made for a lot of other teams, because as I've said there are a lot of young teams out West.

The primary reason I say ESPN has brainwashed many is because the Thunder went from barely clinching the playoffs in the last week or 2 of the season, to suddenly being the favorite for the #2 team. How? Someone explain to me.

Ware_Spencer
08-26-2010, 09:05 PM
People need to stop with the Future of the West stuff.

People have no idea how to evaluate talent on here as a whole. Nobody understands what makes a player have potential. But just because a team is young people go oh they will be better than last year? Really?The Thunder are so overrated.

And the Blazers were healthy with Miller and Roy at the beginning of the year and they struggled. They only won a lot of games when one of them was injured. Nate knew they did not complement each other well. They both have a very similar game. They needed a point guard who can hit the 3 and be effective without the ball. The do have the size against the Lakers but they do not have a inside scoring presence.

Mavs have the same problem. I do think they are the 2nd best team during the regular season. Chandler will help them a lot. Not in terms of stats though. And chemistry will be better. I worry about the guard positions though. The guys that can shoot can't play defense and vice versa. No complete players on the swing positions.

Jazz I think are the 3rd best team. They are longer now and have someone to help protect the basket in Jefferson. Which was there biggest problem. I know Jefferson isn't a great defender but he will be better for the Jazz than Boozer. Jefferson and Millsap is a better defensive front court than Boozer and Okur. And the guy earlier is right about Jefferson being more consistent because of his inside scoring. Okur's injury will be the biggest question mark. If he is healthy by mid season Jazz still take the 3rd spot. Maybe 4th. Matthews and Bell aren't that different. Bell will surprise people this year. People need to realize how little Korver helped the Jazz last year. he barely played and they could only play him when the other team didn't have someone who could take Korver off the dribble. His shooting percentages are overrated when you look at how much he helped the team. CJ Miles has improved a lot also. Deron's wrist will be healed also. If Okur is healthy for the majority of the season than I see the Jazz in 2nd but I highly doubt that happens.

1. Lakers
2. Mavericks
3. Jazz

Rockets, Spurs, Nuggets, Thunder, Blazers are all going to be interchangeable.

tredigs
08-26-2010, 09:13 PM
I've gone over this with others, but I've made it clear 50 wins in the West is no amazing feat IMO. Teams don't play defense in the West like they do in the East, and there are a bunch of young teams unlike the East which is more veteran laden.

The Thunder haven't improved much at all. They added Daequan Cook, and Morris Petersen (two SGs who couldn't get off the bench for winning teams), and Cole Aldrich. Sorry, but I don't see much improvement with these additions.

Their only growth is internal growth, and the same can be made for a lot of other teams, because as I've said there are a lot of young teams out West.

The primary reason I say ESPN has brainwashed many is because the Thunder went from barely clinching the playoffs in the last week or 2 of the season, to suddenly being the favorite for the #2 team. How? Someone explain to me.

#1 - this isn't baseball, they play both conferences a significant amount of games - and if you think the West is an easier conference than the East (REALLY?), then I don't really know what to tell you.

Beyond that, the Thunder were actually on the inside track to HCA in the last week of the season (barely clinching, what?), but a horrible non-call versus the Jazz (which would have secured a 4-0 season sweep) left them in the backseat during the final days. They still tied for the 6th best record in the West. And yes, those additions directly addressed their only weaknesses last season (other than experience and development - of which they also obviously got).

Don't sleep on a 2nd year Ibaka + Harden, and the emerging star of Westbrook accompanied by a legitimate top 3-5 player in the game going into his prime. They are going to be very, very good. You don't get it yet... but you will.

MacFitz92
08-26-2010, 09:20 PM
OKC, I really think they have the best chance. Mavs are only getting older and didn't improve much with the Chandler trade.

Ignorant statement based off an incorrect assumption. The average age of the team is down 3 years from last year.

Kakaroach
08-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Mavericks most likely, then I think it could be the Nuggets, Jazz, or OKC.

nuggetsyankees
08-26-2010, 09:23 PM
mavs

Baller1
08-26-2010, 10:16 PM
#1 - this isn't baseball, they play both conferences a significant amount of games - and if you think the West is an easier conference than the East (REALLY?), then I don't really know what to tell you.

Beyond that, the Thunder were actually on the inside track to HCA in the last week of the season (barely clinching, what?), but a horrible non-call versus the Jazz (which would have secured a 4-0 season sweep) left them in the backseat during the final days. They still tied for the 6th best record in the West. And yes, those additions directly addressed their only weaknesses last season (other than experience and development - of which they also obviously got).

Don't sleep on a 2nd year Ibaka + Harden, and the emerging star of Westbrook accompanied by a legitimate top 3-5 player in the game going into his prime. They are going to be very, very good. You don't get it yet... but you will.

You've saved me so much time since you joined the site.

No need for me to back the Thunder up, digs just summed it up right there.

beasted86
08-26-2010, 10:54 PM

If you thought the only weakness the Thunder had was Center, and 3rd string SG, you are in for a big surprise.

They clinched a playoff spot on April 3rd, the 75th game of the season, so yes, I know what I'm talking about. A team doesn't go from 8th seed to favorite to get 2nd seed by adding an unpolished rookie Center and a 3rd string SG. Sorry, I hope that isn't news to you. We'll see what happens but I still think everyone is brainwashed, and/or underrating veteran teams in the West.

And I'll leave most of the East vs. West debate to a different thread, but just to give a glimpse what I'm talking about the 8 teams that made the playoffs in the East were all top 12 defensive teams in the entire NBA. That alone tells you how much more defensively lopsided the East is in comparison to the West. No 8th seed team is going to just go on long winning streaks and rack up 50 wins.

tredigs
08-26-2010, 11:37 PM
If you thought the only weakness the Thunder had was Center, and 3rd string SG, you are in for a big surprise.

They clinched a playoff spot on April 3rd, the 75th game of the season, so yes, I know what I'm talking about. A team doesn't go from 8th seed to favorite to get 2nd seed by adding an unpolished rookie Center and a 3rd string SG. Sorry, I hope that isn't news to you. We'll see what happens but I still think everyone is brainwashed, and/or underrating veteran teams in the West.

And I'll leave most of the East vs. West debate to a different thread, but just to give a glimpse what I'm talking about the 8 teams that made the playoffs in the East were all top 12 defensive teams in the entire NBA. That alone tells you how much more defensively lopsided the East is in comparison to the West. No 8th seed team is going to just go on long winning streaks and rack up 50 wins.

You're underestimating what a year of improvement to an entire (already very good) core will do for a team, which doesn't surprise me; there isn't much of a precedent for this. Add to that an NBA ready (this kid was back to back Big 12 DPOY, and a junior) center to add much needed length to their block, and they will be ready.

Top to bottom, the West is tougher than the east - period. And again, this isn't baseball, they play both conferences often. Beyond that, my girl's calling me - i'll have to finish this later

HakeemTheDream
08-27-2010, 12:22 AM
Thunder > Mavs

Jack Daniels
08-27-2010, 04:03 AM
Mavs will be the 2nd team in the west during the regular season... The playoffs however whole different story.

beasted86
08-27-2010, 12:38 PM
You're underestimating what a year of improvement to an entire (already very good) core will do for a team, which doesn't surprise me; there isn't much of a precedent for this. Add to that an NBA ready (this kid was back to back Big 12 DPOY, and a junior) center to add much needed length to their block, and they will be ready.

Top to bottom, the West is tougher than the east - period. And again, this isn't baseball, they play both conferences often. Beyond that, my girl's calling me - i'll have to finish this later

I'm just trying to think of how many NBA ready non-international player Centers have been drafted in the last 5-6 years. Emeka Okafor? Al Horford? Brook Lopez (maybe)? I can probably count them all on one hand how many could possibly start for a playoff team, and all of them were considered better college ballers than Aldrich.

But rarely do Centers just come out of the draft ready to start or play a big role on a playoff team. Thabeet dominated college as back to back Big East DPOY, and he wasn't NBA ready. So we'll just see what happens, but don't set your expectations too high.

Baller1
08-27-2010, 12:55 PM

Besides 3 point shooting and low-post defense, what else exactly is a glaring weakness for the Thunder?

beasted86
08-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Besides 3 point shooting and low-post defense, what else exactly is a glaring weakness for the Thunder?

So a rookie Center is going to solve the low post defense issue, and a 3rd string SG who shot 31% from 3 is going to solve that how? Aside from those issues, your offense is stagnant. It relies on KD too much. The Thunder were one of the worst teams in the league when it came to assists. When Durant has a bad game it becomes really hard for your team to win.

The Thunder are a solid playoff team, but as I said, I don't see how they addressed their issues, nor see how you convert from 8th seed to favorite to land 2nd seed, and ESPN going as far as promoting the Thunder as the only team who can take out the Lakers in the West. :facepalm:

When how?

hgtiger32
08-27-2010, 01:22 PM
i for one actually think that the Thunder will win the west in the regular season...but i would also watch out for the Rockets this year...

ChiSox219
08-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Blazers
Rockets
Thunder

Those are the three teams I would bet on.

Dallas doesn't have a proper SG and no low post scoring, don't know how so many are calling them one of the most complete teams.

ChiSox219
08-27-2010, 01:42 PM
So a rookie Center is going to solve the low post defense issue, and a 3rd string SG who shot 31% from 3 is going to solve that how? Aside from those issues, your offense is stagnant. It relies on KD too much. The Thunder were one of the worst teams in the league when it came to assists. When Durant has a bad game it becomes really hard for your team to win.

The Thunder are a solid playoff team, but as I said, I don't see how they addressed their issues, nor see how you convert from 8th seed to favorite to land 2nd seed, and ESPN going as far as promoting the Thunder as the only team who can take out the Lakers in the West. :facepalm:

When how?

Let's not act like the Thunder are terrible at defending the paint. Overall as a defense they finished 9th in the league, incredible for a team so young.

They were right in the middle of the pack at defending at the rim and were #1 in defending from 10 feet in.

Ibaka is going to be a defensive stud. Collison and Kristic both play very good defense.

I think the Thunder will finish top 5 in Defensive Rating as long as they aren't decimated by injuries.

As for their offense, you have a solid point. Just remember it's a young team, Westbrook is going to improve on a good 09-10 campaign and challenge for an all-star spot. Durant is going to improve. Harden is going to make a big jump this season. OKC added a couple of shooters that defend well in Mo Peterson and Daequan Cook.

OKC was the 12th ranked offense last year, I see no reason why they won't improve on that.

P-Willie M.V.P.
08-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Mavs will be the 2nd team in the west during the regular season... The playoffs however whole different story.

I agree :hi5: the Mavs will win the battle for 2nd seed this year, but when the playoffs come, they will most likely lose to one of the declining teams again (Spurs or Suns most likely)

they may not win the 2nd seed, but I see the Hornets possibly returning to the playoffs as a 6-8th seed and unseating the 2nd seeded team posibly. A healthy, Paul and the addition of Ariza should make them better IMO.

Baller1
08-27-2010, 02:39 PM

When how?

Aldrich is there for more of an intimidation factor more than anything. We just need a big body who can bang down low. That's exactly what Aldrich can do. Other than that, the defense as a whole is great and only gets better by adding Aldrich.

What don't you get about the Thunder being only 5 games out of the second seed? It's not like they were the Bulls last season sliding into the playoffs with 40 wins. Not to mention, they were 1 1/2 games out of the second seed before that pathetic no call in double overtime against the Jazz, and it completely ****ed us over.

I don't know if the Thunder will really pull off the second seed, but there's plenty of reasons to think they can.