PDA

View Full Version : Lebron in Dunk Contest= Improved Image?

shep33
08-24-2010, 10:16 PM
What do you guys think? This guy has taken a beating for his decision, and whether you like it or not, most people lost respect for him (I know people are going to argue this, but in general he has lost respect in a lot of poeples eyes), rightfully so? I can't judge that.

Now onto ways to improve his image... do you guys think he'll enter the dunk contest this year? I mean he already disappointed by not doing it last year when he said he would, but this could be a chance to improve his image.

Should he do this to try and get supporters back on the bandwagon?

Baller1
08-24-2010, 10:18 PM
He should, but he won't.

shep33
08-24-2010, 10:22 PM
He should, but he won't.

I actually think your right, and he won't do it. He should try to win some love back, but who knows.

ldawg
08-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Lebron thinks he is to good for that silly contest plus Lebron is not a man of his words. Who cares if he join the dunk contest or not.

29$JerZ
08-24-2010, 10:26 PM
LeBron doesn't need his image, he has already established he is probably the most talk about athlete in the US now. Media, forums, and just everyday fans can't help but that about this man to death.

shep33
08-24-2010, 10:30 PM
LeBron doesn't need his image, he has already established he is probably the most talk about athlete in the US now. Media, forums, and just everyday fans can't help but that about this man to death.

I dunno, I disagree here. I think his image is tarnished as of the moment. There's a reason he hasn't really been out in the public as much lately, we don't hear much from him anymore, and he did irritate big markets in NYC, Chicago, etc. And I mean he's not liked very much at all in Boston or LA, so I think he does need people to like him.

Yes he's being talked about a lot, but that doesn't equate to increases in merchandise sales, or endorsements.

smith&wesson
08-24-2010, 10:35 PM
He should, but he won't.

x3

dodie53
08-24-2010, 10:36 PM
you're either famous or infamous

Supreme LA
08-24-2010, 10:38 PM
es. It's what the fans want to see. I think it will go along way in showing he does care about the fans and it isn't always about him if he enters the Dunk Contest.

Supreme LA
08-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Yes.It's what the fans want to see. I think it will go along way in showing he does care about the fans and it isn't always about him if he enters the Dunk Contest.

Cromedome
08-24-2010, 10:47 PM
The Miami heat and Lebron James are dead to me.

godolphins
08-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Of course it would improve his image

BlazingJ
08-24-2010, 11:04 PM
I guess it could, but it will just take some time to restore his image, like when he wins a title!

blastmasta26
08-25-2010, 12:50 AM
He should, but he won't.
Agree with this, it would be beneficial for him but just like every year so far, he won't be in it.

xxcubs22xx
08-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Of course it would improve his image

No it won't.

John Walls Era
08-25-2010, 01:05 AM
I doubt it would improve his image. Even if it does, I doubt it interests him. He loves the attention that hes getting right now... why would he change that?

jackdawson
08-25-2010, 01:09 AM
LeBron James doesn't need to improve his image. He is already the most popular/covered athlete in the country. He makes people follow him everywhere he goes and everything he does. This won't change. I honestly thing he doesn't give a crap on haters as he restated he wouldn't change a thing about his decision (earned $2.5 million for charity) if given the chance to re-do it.

d_ramirez1
08-25-2010, 01:13 AM

x2 lol hahahahahah

_KB24_
08-25-2010, 01:13 AM
Lebron will be too busy taking his talents to South Beach :cool:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Taking+my+talents+to+South+Beach&defid=5087981

nuggetsyankees
08-25-2010, 01:15 AM
He should, but he won't.

this.

Antipod
08-25-2010, 04:57 AM
Doesn`t matter anymore, his image and legacy were ruined forever this summer(unless he wins 7 rings)

WITZ
08-25-2010, 05:29 AM
He pussied out last year I don't see why he would join this year ,all he would do was tomahawk the ball anyway so he can stay out.In game dunker is all the Queen is just like Shannon Brown and we all saw that mess last year.

greek miami hea
08-25-2010, 07:31 AM
yes it would.especially if he would be the winner

thekmp211
08-25-2010, 08:10 AM
would you forgive the e girlfriend who cheated on you if she jumped up and down a few times? no. so why would this matter one iota. the dunk contest is the definition of meaningless.

not saying i agree with all the hate he gets. but, people are really pissed about it.

Delrayhc
08-25-2010, 09:07 AM
LeBron James doesn't need to improve his image. He is already the most popular/covered athlete in the country. He makes people follow him everywhere he goes and everything he does. This won't change. I honestly thing he doesn't give a crap on haters as he restated he wouldn't change a thing about his decision (earned $2.5 million for charity) if given the chance to re-do it.

People seem to look past the amount of money that he raised for charity , people seem to concentrate on their feelings being hurt because he went to another team or they would rather be angry because he didnt go to their team. There is a positive 2.5 million dollar check that he raised for kids charity that out weighs the negatives about his decision , but who cares about charitable organizations. ( pretty shallow)

Anyways I do think that if he was in the dunk contest it would help his image a bit because people would rather see him being in a dunk contest opposed to giving away bikes to kids in need. :confused:

Epicfailure
08-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Only if him participating in the dunk contest somehow ends world hunger or something.

Grouch26
08-25-2010, 09:21 AM
lebron has been running from this contest for a while now. the reason being that he isnt creative nor a good dunker. i saw him in his high school dunk contest and he would even beat Nate Robinson with the dunks he came up with. to answer the question it would hurt his image.

BOSTON617
08-25-2010, 09:23 AM
I doubt it would improve his image. Even if it does, I doubt it interests him. He loves the attention that hes getting right now... why would he change that?

:clap::clap:

daleja424
08-25-2010, 09:28 AM
no. he will just go out there and win games, and people will forget. Look how many people are over the kobe rapes a girl, kobe cheats on his wife, kobe demands a trade, etc... from a couple years back. Lebron has done so much less to deserve public rebuke that it is kind of sad how much ppl are hating on him.

greek miami hea
08-25-2010, 09:31 AM
no. he will just go out there and win games, and people will forget. Look how many people are over the kobe rapes a girl, kobe cheats on his wife, kobe demands a trade, etc... from a couple years back. Lebron has done so much less to deserve public rebuke that it is kind of sad how much ppl are hating on him.

what???kobe raped a girl????

JonnyBrav000
08-25-2010, 10:13 AM

LOL, Lebron is a money whore, he doesn't care about charity. That money he helped raised, best believe he is paying less taxes because of it. And it's stupid to think he made a good decision when the league and past NBA greats are all against him personally. It probably hurts his cold little heart that Michael Jordan doesn't give a crap about him.

Anyway Lebron needs to fire his PR people because all they do is make stupid decisions, unless it's Lebron coming up with these ideas, and that wouldn't suprise me because he doesn't seem as smart as he makes himself out to be. How is it possible he doesn't know what the word "humble" means, he doesn't know the word humble should not be used when describing his diva tendencies.

And no Lebron will not be in the dunking contest because he is not a man of his word and he is not a man of respect, which is why he sometimes cries at the end of regular season basketball games his team loses, which is why he quit on the Cavs in the elimination game vs the C's, which is why he acted like a baby after being eliminated by the Magic the season prior, which is why he decided to ride to coat tails of D.Wade in Miami.

Lebron is a joke when talked about being the best, and from now on should never be mentioned as a possible air apparent to Michael Jordan, because he won't even have as good of a career as Kobe, especially if the Lakers win this season. So now the dunk contest will not improve his image, especially because he would not be a lock to win, I think Dwight Howard is a better dunker, and there are many guys in the NBA who could probably beat him style wise as well, which is probably why Lebron has never participated.

Sly Guy
08-25-2010, 10:13 AM
if LeBron were to enter the dunk contest, he'd win. But he wouldn't deserve to. He's just not that flashy of a dunker, sure, he can get up and over people, but I don't see the style required.

miller74
08-25-2010, 10:21 AM
It could, until he says hes going to do it and back out again

JLMiles14
08-25-2010, 10:28 AM

lol :clap:

levignjw
08-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Honestly IMO it would help his image but he's too big of a ***** to do it.

KnicksGuard
08-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Lebron would do best to move to Florida. He will never regain what he lost prior to the Decision.

Ray_R
08-25-2010, 11:14 AM
If he does he will still find a way out. Hes done it before.

albertc86
08-25-2010, 11:26 AM
LeBron is going to need more than the dunk contest. We already know that LeBron's dunking skills are overrated. He's a power dunker and that's it. Aside from his decision, he really has been saying some pretty stupid things as of late, which is uncharacteristic of him but he's still young.

shep33
08-25-2010, 02:15 PM
LeBron is going to need more than the dunk contest. We already know that LeBron's dunking skills are overrated. He's a power dunker and that's it. Aside from his decision, he really has been saying some pretty stupid things as of late, which is uncharacteristic of him but he's still young.

I agree, but I think it would help in a way, at least to get the ball rolling. The thing with Lebron is that even if he goes out there and wins a championship, he's still going to get hate because he'll be looked at as joining wade and bosh.

In some ways he has to do stuff on his own to regain favor. Dunk contest is just he and the rim, all eyes will be on him and if he puts in a spectacular showing, which I don't know if he can, he'll gain some favor to the younger crowd. But then again, he backed out before, and he'll likely do it again.

twoearl
08-25-2010, 04:02 PM
es. It's what the fans want to see. I think it will go along way in showing he does care about the fans and it isn't always about him if he enters the Dunk Contest.

Yeah I agree. This would really help get some people back on his side... Somebody needs to send this info to his "Manager" Maverick...

sep11ie
08-25-2010, 04:14 PM
No, cause he'd prob have an hour long "special" on why he chose whatever dunk he did.

topdog
08-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Lebron won't. It will just give more fodder for his critics - if he wins, people will just say that he decided to enter once he was sure the competition was weak enough; if he loses, the heckling gets incessant.

Truheatfan
08-25-2010, 04:24 PM
LOL, Lebron is a money whore, he doesn't care about charity. That money he helped raised, best believe he is paying less taxes because of it. And it's stupid to think he made a good decision when the league and past NBA greats are all against him personally. It probably hurts his cold little heart that Michael Jordan doesn't give a crap about him.

Anyway Lebron needs to fire his PR people because all they do is make stupid decisions, unless it's Lebron coming up with these ideas, and that wouldn't suprise me because he doesn't seem as smart as he makes himself out to be. How is it possible he doesn't know what the word "humble" means, he doesn't know the word humble should not be used when describing his diva tendencies.

And no Lebron will not be in the dunking contest because he is not a man of his word and he is not a man of respect, which is why he sometimes cries at the end of regular season basketball games his team loses, which is why he quit on the Cavs in the elimination game vs the C's, which is why he acted like a baby after being eliminated by the Magic the season prior, which is why he decided to ride to coat tails of D.Wade in Miami.

Lebron is a joke when talked about being the best, and from now on should never be mentioned as a possible air apparent to Michael Jordan, because he won't even have as good of a career as Kobe, especially if the Lakers win this season. So now the dunk contest will not improve his image, especially because he would not be a lock to win, I think Dwight Howard is a better dunker, and there are many guys in the NBA who could probably beat him style wise as well, which is probably why Lebron has never participated.

spoken like a true hater :rolleyes:

xbrackattackx
08-25-2010, 05:06 PM
It Could...He won't.

Klivlend
08-25-2010, 05:16 PM

I'm just quoting you cause I'm a hater and want people to read your post again. haha

Khalifa21
08-25-2010, 06:20 PM
I would love to see him in it, he'd kill it.

It's not like he has an image to protect now... He might as well just do it.

jackdawson
08-25-2010, 06:30 PM

I would believe LeBron has a better head on his shoulder than most of us here. He knows what he is doing. As long as you do something that makes you happy and you don't regret about it, it's all good. It's that simple. You can't make everyone happy anyway.

Steelers23_06
08-25-2010, 06:40 PM
honestly lebron has to do nothing to improve his image but win. when your winning there is nothing better than that to make you look good. look at kobe after that rape case EVERYONE hated kobe. i was one of those people but time heals everything and now i like him. so just time and winning andhe will go back to being one of the most loved guys in the league. he'll still have haters everyone does kobe, lebron, jordan, magic, etc... everyone has haters. i prob got haters on this site too lol

nanablvd
08-25-2010, 06:49 PM
No, he just needs to win multiple titles to win his non-Cleveland supporters back. Kobe's image took a huge dent with his Colarado trial, but he successfully restored if not exceeded his icon by focusing purely on basketball thereafter, taking a low road in the public, and winning 2 more titles and expectedly counting.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-25-2010, 09:31 PM
:laugh2:

When he said he would enter the dunk contest, I hear **** on this site like:

"He's only doing it to get into the spotlight. He's not even a great dunker"

Then when he didn't join the contest, the same people said things like:

"What a *******. He said he was going to enter"

Like why the **** are you gonna complain when you didn't want him to be in there in the first place.

Now people are probably going to bash him if he decides to enter so he can "improve his image"

Supreme LA
08-25-2010, 10:28 PM
He pussied out last year I don't see why he would join this year ,all he would do was tomahawk the ball anyway so he can stay out.In game dunker is all the Queen is just like Shannon Brown and we all saw that mess last year.

In game dunks are all I care about anyway. It's not cool to me unless you're throwing it down on a big guy. :D

tredigs
08-25-2010, 11:59 PM
I dunno, I disagree here. I think his image is tarnished as of the moment. There's a reason he hasn't really been out in the public as much lately, we don't hear much from him anymore, and he did irritate big markets in NYC, Chicago, etc. And I mean he's not liked very much at all in Boston or LA, so I think he does need people to like him.

Yes he's being talked about a lot, but that doesn't equate to increases in merchandise sales, or endorsements.

I think he'll let his game do the talking, personally. And I'm not sure he is too enamored with the idea of catering to the media at this point.

I don't envy his competition this year. Guy is going to absolutely murder the league.

jackdawson
08-26-2010, 12:09 AM
I think he'll let his game do the talking, personally. And I'm not sure he is too enamored with the idea of catering to the media at this point.

I don't envy his competition this year. Guy is going to absolutely murder the league.

With NO doubt at all. He won't be guarded as heavily as he used to be for sure. That makes it even more scary.

Afro
08-26-2010, 02:57 AM
Lebron could improve his image slightly if he developed a cure for AIDS. Slightly.

shep33
08-26-2010, 03:41 AM
With NO doubt at all. He won't be guarded as heavily as he used to be for sure. That makes it even more scary.

I expect the Heat to be great, but I also expect his numbers to drop. I understand he's playing with 2 other star players, but for those star players to contribute, they'll need the ball a lot mroe than anybody else that Lebron has played with. Wade will handle the ball a lot also, and Bosh needs his touches on the block.

I think he'll have a good year, but statistically his numbers might suffer a bit. Winning will improve his image in truth, but he's also got to connect with the people a bit more. LBJ's image, whether we like it or not, will heavily be influenced by the media, so he'll always have to take them into account.

Kakaroach
08-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Yes it would improve his image overall, how much depends on the person. But if he is in the contest it would improve his image I feel.

Steelers23_06
08-26-2010, 03:41 PM
so what if he loses. give something else to the haters to say why he isnt great.

nickademus
08-26-2010, 03:43 PM
touche im not saying jordan was perfect but he never did chi town like lebron just did cleveland... but how many rings does lebron have.... and how many future hall of famers does lebron have to surround himself with to win one?
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0049/3472/products/sellout_grande.jpg?1282526451" class="single_image (http://www.theredshirt.com/products/sellout) @theredshirt.com (http://www.theredshirt.com)

TheTakeOver24
08-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Lebron could improve his image slightly if he developed a cure for AIDS. Slightly.

Nah, Knicks/Bulls fans would say he did it for the money and attention.