PDA

View Full Version : It's time for drabek ...

TyA
08-24-2010, 09:08 PM
The revolving door of our 5th starter lately has been a joke. Litsch, Mills, and Rzep have all been pretty bad and I don't think any of them have a future in Toronto. Drabek is 23 and has had a spectacular season in AA. Call him up and have a rotation of....

Marcum
Romero
Morrow
Cecil
Drabek

That would be amazing to watch for the rest of the season

T.O. Fan
08-24-2010, 09:12 PM
What's the rush?

Eagles4Lyfe
08-24-2010, 09:13 PM
we have scott richmond who guaranteed next year him or a solid plug in can win 10 games...Ive been saying for a long time rzcynshki is a big joke hes horribly crap same with mills

Twitchy
08-24-2010, 09:51 PM
You don't think Rzep has a future in Toronto? He's better right now than any of the guys you mentioned, Drabek included. And he had a 3.67 ERA last year. I don't know what you're expecting Drabek to do, but he sure isn't going to outpitch Rzep.

He doesn't walk many batters, he strikes out a fair amount, and keeps the ball on the ground. That's a recipe for success.

bomber0104
08-24-2010, 10:09 PM
I'd rather see Richmond.. he pitched well last year when healthy and i'd like to see what we have in him for the last month of the year

BlueJayFanDan
08-24-2010, 10:16 PM
I think Rzep is a great pitcher. Since he got hurt he hasn't really gotten his velocity or control back to where it was last year. If he works on that this offseason, he should be a lock for a rotation spot next season. Mills I think should be converted to a relief pitcher. I really like him, but not as a starter. Litsch I have never been all that high on. He is still young so who knows but frankly we are better without him in the rotation.

BlueJayCarter
08-24-2010, 10:23 PM
You don't think Rzep has a future in Toronto? He's better right now than any of the guys you mentioned, Drabek included. And he had a 3.67 ERA last year. I don't know what you're expecting Drabek to do, but he sure isn't going to outpitch Rzep.

He doesn't walk many batters, he strikes out a fair amount, and keeps the ball on the ground. That's a recipe for success.

Are you talking about the same player that everyone else is? Rzep has just been as bad as Litsch and is now 1-2 in 7 games and has a ****** ERA. Litsch and Rzep only have roles in the bull pen or are minor role trade bait along with Mills.

Drabek is now and in the future better than all three.

But to answer the question, should he be called up for fifth spot.

HELL NO! I will not risk injuring him for fans wanting to see him, we are not contending this year we do not need him up.

BlueJayCarter
08-24-2010, 10:26 PM
I think Rzep is a great pitcher. Since he got hurt he hasn't really gotten his velocity or control back to where it was last year. If he works on that this offseason, he should be a lock for a rotation spot next season. Mills I think should be converted to a relief pitcher. I really like him, but not as a starter. Litsch I have never been all that high on. He is still young so who knows but frankly we are better without him in the rotation.

Rzep, Litsch and Mills are bull pen help at best, especially for next year with positions we will have open.

But they will be more of minor league trade bait or a minor piece to a trade.

They have nothing to do with the rotation.

Manatoo
08-24-2010, 10:38 PM
After 154 innings already in AA? Nty, shut him down at the end of September and see if he is ready in spring training.

broncosfan_101
08-24-2010, 10:46 PM
a) Drabek is pitching in a playoff race in NH. Anthopoulos won't destroy that team for a couple meaningless starts in Toronto. Too classy for that.

b) If you give Rzep the same consistency that seems to be working so well for Morrow, I bet all of his weird peripherals would normalize and you'd see a very solid pitcher. Good K rate, pretty good BB rate, very good GB rate...he's got a real future if we give him a chance.

nithanyo
08-24-2010, 10:47 PM
What we need to do is move the top 4 starters down a spot and get a veteran ace to top off the rotation. Now that would solidify our rotation. Not a kid in AA. Sure he has a future in toronto but no reason to rush him. We can also package one of our ready starters for hitting and bring up drabek when he is actually ready

Twitchy
08-25-2010, 12:12 AM
Are you talking about the same player that everyone else is? Rzep has just been as bad as Litsch and is now 1-2 in 7 games and has a ****** ERA.

First of all, he's been much better than Litsch. The only thing Litsch is capable of striking out is with a girl. He's got no ability to strike out major league hitters. So if he's not perfect, he gets rocked. Rzep doesn't have that same problem, at least to the extreme that Litsch does.

Rzep has shown both last year and this year he can strike out batters. That's a major point in his favour. He generally shows good control, and as I mentioned earlier keeps the ball on the ground. All 3 of these point to success as a major league starting pitcher.

This is what happens with young pitching though - they don't always pitch to the best of their ability on a consistent basis. Look at Cecil a year ago to where he is today - can you imagine what would have happened if we just gave up on his career as a starter cause he had a 5.30 ERA? Cause that's what you're suggesting we do with Rzep.

The question we should be asking is why we're judging him based on less than 30 innings. It'd be like saying that based on what we've seen this year, Snider and Arencibia will never be successful hitters. It's nonsense. And why are we putting more emphasis on the 25 or so innings Rzep threw this year, when last year he had a terrific ERA in double the innings?

Litsch and Rzep only have roles in the bull pen or are minor role trade bait along with Mills.

Litsch you're right on, but it's far too early to suggest that Rzep can't be a starter.

How is Drabek better than them now when he hasn't even pitched in AAA? It's a ludicrous suggestion to say he's better than Rzep now.

But to answer the question, should he be called up for fifth spot. HELL NO! I will not risk injuring him for fans wanting to see him, we are not contending this year we do not need him up.

Why would he injure himself pitching in the majors and not the minors? It makes no sense. I can understand keeping him down because A) It's insane to call him up right now and B) He hasn't shown he can pitch in AAA...but he's no more likely to be injured in the majors than in the minors.

treeleaf
08-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Lol delete this thread
bring up a good AA guy kus all our ready starters are suking
NEWS FLASH we are NOT in the race this year
we need to help these guys out with more mlb starts so they get better DUH

keep starting Rzep hes paid his dues and shows good stuff here and there
i dont think he will be in the Rotation long term though drabek will get his shot soon enough

BlueJayFanDan
08-25-2010, 12:28 AM
First of all, he's been much better than Litsch. The only thing Litsch is capable of striking out is with a girl. He's got no ability to strike out major league hitters. So if he's not perfect, he gets rocked. Rzep doesn't have that same problem, at least to the extreme that Litsch does.

Rzep has shown both last year and this year he can strike out batters. That's a major point in his favour. He generally shows good control, and as I mentioned earlier keeps the ball on the ground. All 3 of these point to success as a major league starting pitcher.

This is what happens with young pitching though - they don't always pitch to the best of their ability on a consistent basis. Look at Cecil a year ago to where he is today - can you imagine what would have happened if we just gave up on his career as a starter cause he had a 5.30 ERA? Cause that's what you're suggesting we do with Rzep.

The question we should be asking is why we're judging him based on less than 30 innings. It'd be like saying that based on what we've seen this year, Snider and Arencibia will never be successful hitters. It's nonsense. And why are we putting more emphasis on the 25 or so innings Rzep threw this year, when last year he had a terrific ERA in double the innings?

Litsch you're right on, but it's far too early to suggest that Rzep can't be a starter.

How is Drabek better than them now when he hasn't even pitched in AAA? It's a ludicrous suggestion to say he's better than Rzep now.

Why would he injure himself pitching in the majors and not the minors? It makes no sense. I can understand keeping him down because A) It's insane to call him up right now and B) He hasn't shown he can pitch in AAA...but he's no more likely to be injured in the majors than in the minors.

Great post Twitch! Pretty much everything I was thinking. Love the Listch line about striking out with a girl lol. I don't understand when people say a player who has never played is better then someone who has played. As of now even Tallet is better Drabek until Drabek shows hes better. To say right now that Drabek is better than anyone on our major league roster is pure ignorance. I am ready to give up on Litsch but anyone willing to give up Rzep right now obviously doesn't watch Baseball. I was at that game where he shut out the Angels a couple starts ago and he was absolutely lights out most of the game. When Rzep is on, he is awesome. Rzep deserves a rotation spot whether it be with us or a different team in the future. I would love to keep him here and in the rotation of course though. I think he has a very good future if he remains healthy.

Bjaxn45
08-25-2010, 12:49 AM
a) Drabek is pitching in a playoff race in NH. Anthopoulos won't destroy that team for a couple meaningless starts in Toronto. Too classy for that.

b) If you give Rzep the same consistency that seems to be working so well for Morrow, I bet all of his weird peripherals would normalize and you'd see a very solid pitcher. Good K rate, pretty good BB rate, very good GB rate...he's got a real future if we give him a chance.

But there's a difference between being consistent with Morrow's stuff and consistent with Rzep's stuff. For him to be succesfull he can't have as many poor outtings like he's shown recently.

Marcum is a perfect example of what I mean, he doesn't have amazing stuff (Plus Changeup aside) but he is very consistent because he has to be with his stuff.

StealingSigns
08-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Anyone who is calling for Drabek to be called up has ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE as to where the Jays stand in development.

Drabek ain't even going to be a September call-up. His immediate future is AA playoffs.

Manatoo
08-25-2010, 01:52 AM

Any GM that worries about their minor league teams playoff race more then the development of prospects should be fired on the spot.

What do you honestly think Drabek would say given the chance to be pitching for a AA playoff series or making his MLB debut?

Halladay
08-25-2010, 02:20 AM
We're a rebuilding team and Drabek is the centerpiece prized prospect who came back in the Halladay deal. He's still a few years away from being ready and it would absolutely be a step back to bring him just to appease some fans. We're gonna see plenty of the kid down the road as he's likely a number 2 starter. It would make zero sense to bring him up when he's still learning.

StealingSigns
08-25-2010, 02:47 AM
Any GM that worries about their minor league teams playoff race more then the development of prospects should be fired on the spot.

Erm, don't you think that playoff games lead to the development of prospects? You know, meaningful games as opposed to mopping up in the 8th inning verses the Kansas City Royals?

What do you honestly think Drabek would say given the chance to be pitching for a AA playoff series or making his MLB debut?

If he is worth his salt, and knowing the Jays aren't going anywhere, Fisher Cats all the way.

Manatoo
08-25-2010, 03:36 AM
Erm, don't you think that playoff games lead to the development of prospects? You know, meaningful games as opposed to mopping up in the 8th inning verses the Kansas City Royals?

If he is worth his salt, and knowing the Jays aren't going anywhere, Fisher Cats all the way.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:rolleyes:

No, any pitcher will chose to make his MLB debut over pitching a minor league playoff game without a second thought.

StealingSigns
08-25-2010, 03:53 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:rolleyes:

No, any pitcher will chose to make his MLB debut over pitching a minor league playoff game without a second thought.

Good thing it isn't up to them.

Twitchy
08-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Stealingsigns is right on this one. You want your young pitchers to get any playoff experience they can, because it will help them in the future when they're doing it in the majors. It's very common of teams in minor league playoff races to let their prospects finish their playoffs before they call them up.

nstojic
08-25-2010, 08:28 AM
it won't happen because they're watching drabek's innings cause he's almost where they want him to be with those... they're saving him to pitch in the AA playoffs... the GM's said as much...

Shifty1 69
08-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Are you talking about the same player that everyone else is? Rzep has just been as bad as Litsch and is now 1-2 in 7 games and has a ****** ERA. Litsch and Rzep only have roles in the bull pen or are minor role trade bait along with Mills.

But to answer the question, should he be called up for fifth spot.

HELL NO! I will not risk injuring him for fans wanting to see him, we are not contending this year we do not need him up.

Are you serious??:confused:
Rzep was excellent last year in a large sample size and hasnt regained the form after his injury for whatever reason... but hes not even 25 yet, was only drafted in '07. Also he is a lefty with good stuff. I think its insane to give up on him, he could be one helluva 4th/5th starter, higher in other rotations.

Litsch is grossly overlooked by most on here, not surprised you do as well... he has done as much or more in the majors than most if not all of the current SP options.:rolleyes:

Its always good business to give away young talented pitchers, you dont want too many of them on your team, thats for sure. lol
Drabek must be near his IP limit and NH is a playoff bound team I believe... so no need to rush him the bigs.
There is no way the Jays work their way back into the playoff picture so having Richmond/Rzep etc making a few starts isnt killing the team.

Shifty1 69
08-25-2010, 10:12 AM
^^ Before I get jumped on for it... I didnt mean that Litsch is better than any/all of the current options....:facepalm::D but he has put up seasons with better results in the past. lol

North Yorker
08-25-2010, 10:16 AM
If Rzep can get his act together he could be a very solid 5th starter on this team in the future.

Litsch I see as the Andy Sonnastine of our future rotation. The long man in the BP that can make a spot start when needed.

I see Marcum being traded either in the offseason or at the trade deadline for a long term and immediate solution at 3B. If AA thinks that Drabek can make the team out of Spring training then I think he would consider trading Marcum in the offseason if the right package came along. If Drabek isnt ready then I see Marcum being dealt at the deadline where his value should be through the roof barring injury.

nithanyo
08-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Why are we treating Drabek like he is the next Lincecum or sumthin. The man is still in AA and has a ways to go before seeing the majors. I think the fact that he was in a deal for halladay and him being the son of a former cy young winner makes him a little bit overrated. Ive got nothing against him but what we need is an ace

BlueLeafs
08-25-2010, 10:43 AM
If i'm not mistaken I believe the contract the Jays have with the Fishercats is about to end. The Jays wanting to keep NH as a partner could be a reason for keeping Drabek, Stewart, Thames, etc in AA.

Eagles4Lyfe
08-25-2010, 11:09 AM
If Rzep can get his act together he could be a very solid 5th starter on this team in the future.

Litsch I see as the Andy Sonnastine of our future rotation. The long man in the BP that can make a spot start when needed.

I see Marcum being traded either in the offseason or at the trade deadline for a long term and immediate solution at 3B. If AA thinks that Drabek can make the team out of Spring training then I think he would consider trading Marcum in the offseason if the right package came along. If Drabek isnt ready then I see Marcum being dealt at the deadline where his value should be through the roof barring injury.

This..Depending on if we get a vet pitcher for the 5th spot or not, then richmond can be a long man in the pen too..I think we should worry a little more about our BP then our starting rotation..Our BP used be solid when we had downs and walker as our long relievers, a proper closer and set up man and 3 solid guys who came in and got the job done and made us top 5-10 BP for a while..But we havent had those long guys out of the pen lately except for tallet kinda...

laker18
08-25-2010, 11:36 AM
whats the rush to get him to the majors when he hasnt spent a day at AAA yet. the last two jays pitchers to jump from AA were litsch and rzep and look how they are doing right now, he is at least a year away after this season. Look what happened when the nationals decided to rush strasberg to the show. he was dominant in the beginning but the ware and tear of the majors took its tole on him and his shoulder. im aslo not comparing drabek to strasberg because its no competition, strasberg might be the best young pitcher in baseball today.

I believe that toronto will be a very active ball team this offseason and will look at adding to add a starting pitcher, a impact outfielder and lots of bullpen help( downs, frasor and greggs will all get arb and leave via FA). With that in mind, it will give time for pitchers like drabek and stewart(gonna be a very good pitcher too) to develop with a year at AAA.

madmike77
08-25-2010, 11:36 AM
The time for Drabek is next year if he has a good spring. The top 4 spots in the rotation are pretty much set for next year barring a trade or injury so there's really only one spot to battle for.

It would be nice to see Drabek earn it during Spring Training, but there will be plenty of other guys the Jays could plug in there if he doesn't.

Bjaxn45
08-25-2010, 12:04 PM
The time for Drabek is next year if he has a good spring. The top 4 spots in the rotation are pretty much set for next year barring a trade or injury so there's really only one spot to battle for.

It would be nice to see Drabek earn it during Spring Training, but there will be plenty of other guys the Jays could plug in there if he doesn't.

Kind of like Cecil this spring, although I think the only reason he didn't start in the majors was because of an injury to one of his fingers and not that he wasn't ready.

craigerlee
08-25-2010, 12:35 PM
I agree there's no rush to bring Drabek up this year, as he's pretty close to maxing out his innings for the year, and he should play in the AA playoffs rather than abandoning them to make a meaningless MLB start. As for jumping from AA to majors and skipping AAA, thats normal cause the Pacific Coast League is a hitters league. He'll probably get rocked almost as hard there as he would in the majors. Especially playing for Las Vegas which is probably the easiest baseball park to hit a home run in. Drabek will probably break with the Jays next year and skip AAA all together.

miller74
08-25-2010, 01:08 PM
I'd rather see Richmond.. he pitched well last year when healthy and i'd like to see what we have in him for the last month of the year

What else do you need to see hes a borderline 5th starter, who should be in AAA if ur team is serious about contending

bartron_44
08-25-2010, 01:31 PM
In a perfect world, The Blue Jays move their AAA team this off season out of the PCL, Drabek comes to ST to battle for a spot, and if he does not impress, he goes to AAA for more fine tuning. Pretty sure he will be on the big league club next season though after this season in AA..

As far as an ace goes, I think we already have 1 in the making in Brandon Morrow. The guy can touch up 98 when he throws a 4 seamer, has a devastating breaking ball, and has shown that he has stuff good enough to beat the best of the best. This is only his first real year of starting at the big league level, and he just keeps looking better and better :). He has 40 K's and just 9 BB's in his last 24.1 inning's, and when he is on he is about as dominant as they come. He is tied for 3rd in the AL in strikeouts, and he has gotten those K's in a lot fewer innings then the others.

mkcavy
08-25-2010, 01:51 PM
As much as I would like to see Drabek against major league hitters, there's no reason to have him in the rotatio right now. Anyone getting a look in September will be a consideration for the #5 spot next season, and that doesn't include Drabek. He should spend a good portion of a season in AAA before being promoted to rotation.

AA will look at guys like Litsch, Rzep, Richmond, Mills etc. to fill the #5 spot. They aren't stellar options (although I do see promise in Rzep) but we're looking for a #5, not an ace. I also wouldn't be surprised if they shut Morrow down for 2 weeks in September to keep his innings down, same goes for Cecil.

And I still would never consider trading Marcum for a 3B, at least not at this stage. You have some viable options, and you could also get a 3B via free-agency. Marcum has one of the best change-ups in baseball, hands down. You don't go giving that up too easily.

Manatoo
08-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Stealingsigns is right on this one. You want your young pitchers to get any playoff experience they can, because it will help them in the future when they're doing it in the majors. It's very common of teams in minor league playoff races to let their prospects finish their playoffs before they call them up.

No you don't, a playoff game is just like any other game, all you need is 27 outs.

Are you trying to tell me you will get more experience from pitching to the same AA players again over getting your feet wet in the bigs?

If a player isn't ready to be called up and has not fully developed yet, then by all means keep him down there for the playoffs, but you don't keep him down there if you think they are ready to pitch in the majors, playoffs or no.

Besides Hundreds of prospects have made it to the majors and produced without any minor league playoff experience at all.

bomber0104
08-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Just last year, people were all over Rzep and even put him ahead of Cecil on the depth chart heading into this year. Suddenly, he is a bum with no future in the majors.

nads83
08-25-2010, 03:07 PM
people lose credibility when they say zep is a "great" pitcher. the guy shouldnt/wouldnt even be in the majors if it werent for all the injuries to the staff.
one more thing...
litsch actually put together a solid season or two with the jays previously. so dont disrespect him and by saying zep is better when CLEARLY zep is terrible

nads83
08-25-2010, 03:09 PM
id give drabek a call up next yr in sept, and then seriously think about inserting him in the rotation in 2012. no rush.

as for next yr...return of the king?...dusty?

North Yorker
08-25-2010, 03:59 PM
As much as I would like to see Drabek against major league hitters, there's no reason to have him in the rotatio right now. Anyone getting a look in September will be a consideration for the #5 spot next season, and that doesn't include Drabek. He should spend a good portion of a season in AAA before being promoted to rotation.

AA will look at guys like Litsch, Rzep, Richmond, Mills etc. to fill the #5 spot. They aren't stellar options (although I do see promise in Rzep) but we're looking for a #5, not an ace. I also wouldn't be surprised if they shut Morrow down for 2 weeks in September to keep his innings down, same goes for Cecil.

And I still would never consider trading Marcum for a 3B, at least not at this stage. You have some viable options, and you could also get a 3B via free-agency. Marcum has one of the best change-ups in baseball, hands down. You don't go giving that up too easily.

Marcum also doesnt have the stuff to consistently beat teams in the AL East outside of Baltimore. He's had injury concerns in the past, will be 29, and will have a boatload of value to a number of teams as a solid 2-4 starter. AA likes to make moves, and if he gets a good offer that addresses our needs (ie. 3B/leadoff hitter), then I bet he pulls the trigger. Whenever Drabek is ready I see Marcum being dealt.

people lose credibility when they say zep is a "great" pitcher. the guy shouldnt/wouldnt even be in the majors if it werent for all the injuries to the staff.
one more thing...
litsch actually put together a solid season or two with the jays previously. so dont disrespect him and by saying zep is better when CLEARLY zep is terrible

:eyebrow:
Rzep was "CLEARLY terrible" last year???

Twitchy
08-25-2010, 05:47 PM
No you don't, a playoff game is just like any other game, all you need is 27 outs.

No, it's not like any other game. I don't even know how you can suggest that can be the case.

Are you trying to tell me you will get more experience from pitching to the same AA players again over getting your feet wet in the bigs?

No, that's not what I'm saying. What I said is that GM's often allow their prospects to continue playing in the minors if their team is in a playoff race and promote them to the majors once the playoffs are finished. It's a valuable part of a prospect's development to let them play in a playoff race. It gives them a good opportunity to see how they'll handle a pressure situation.

I'm sure everyone would choose being in the majors over the minors. But that's not the point here. We're talking about maybe a week or two tops of playing in the playoffs in the minors. You're making it sound like if they play in the AAA playoffs they won't have a chance at playing in the majors.

If a player isn't ready to be called up and has not fully developed yet, then by all means keep him down there for the playoffs, but you don't keep him down there if you think they are ready to pitch in the majors, playoffs or no.

Like I said before, this happens a lot more than you think.

Besides Hundreds of prospects have made it to the majors and produced without any minor league playoff experience at all.

Right. Nobody's saying it's something you need. But if you haven't promoted a guy in late August, and the team is a week away from the playoffs, then it doesn't make much sense to promote them to the majors till after the playoff run. Why deprive them of that experience? They'll still get a chance to play in the majors.

nads83
08-25-2010, 05:58 PM
in only a handful of games zep went 2-4 with with a 3.70 era last yr.
thats pretty god damn mediocre

hendrix
08-25-2010, 06:10 PM
in only a handful of games zep went 2-4 with with a 3.70 era last yr.
thats pretty god damn mediocre

w-l is completly irrelevant. And 3.70 is a damn fine ERA, far from "God damn mediocre". As is his fip, xpip, GB%, and K/9 #'s.

There's no problem with sticking with Rzep in the 5th slot for a while, He's an extreme ground baller, with a good k/9, and still young. What more do you want. I don't really understand the impatience from some of you in a non-competing year.

jrice9
08-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Marcum also doesnt have the stuff to consistently beat teams in the AL East outside of Baltimore.

You can tell this from his one start vs New York and one against Tampa.

Hes pitched pretty well in his three starts against Boston.

Manatoo
08-25-2010, 07:31 PM
No, it's not like any other game. I don't even know how you can suggest that can be the case.

No, that's not what I'm saying. What I said is that GM's often allow their prospects to continue playing in the minors if their team is in a playoff race and promote them to the majors once the playoffs are finished. It's a valuable part of a prospect's development to let them play in a playoff race. It gives them a good opportunity to see how they'll handle a pressure situation.

I'm sure everyone would choose being in the majors over the minors. But that's not the point here. We're talking about maybe a week or two tops of playing in the playoffs in the minors. You're making it sound like if they play in the AAA playoffs they won't have a chance at playing in the majors.

Like I said before, this happens a lot more than you think.

Right. Nobody's saying it's something you need. But if you haven't promoted a guy in late August, and the team is a week away from the playoffs, then it doesn't make much sense to promote them to the majors till after the playoff run. Why deprive them of that experience? They'll still get a chance to play in the majors.

Because there is only so many innings you can pitch a year, and in Drabeks next start he will top any amount of innings he has ever thrown before in his short minor league career. In the limited innings he does have left i would much prefer he gets as much big league experience for next year as a September callup rather then facing the same AA Batters again and again.

Bjaxn45
08-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Because there is only so many innings you can pitch a year, and in Drabeks next start he will top any amount of innings he has ever thrown before in his short minor league career. In the limited innings he does have left i would much prefer he gets as much big league experience for next year as a September callup rather then facing the same AA Batters again and again.

Well you're not the GM of the team :D lol. But in all honesty, I see why some people want to see him, but it's selfish. Facing some Major League teams this year could be a good learning experience and it's some experience he can bring to spring training which is certainly positive. But what if he struggles mightily and even regresses because he wasn't ready yet? The only positive thing that can come out of this is that he will be ready sooner. Why take a chance with his confidence?

On the other hand, I think it's important to establish a winning attitude whenever possible. There are probably 5-6 guys on that current New Hampshire team who I could see in a big league uni in a few years with Drabek and Stewart as potential rotation guys as soon as 2012. Having these guys be a part of a potential league championship is good for any player. I want my young players used to winning!

Manatoo
08-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Well you're not the GM of the team :D lol. But in all honesty, I see why some people want to see him, but it's selfish. Facing some Major League teams this year could be a good learning experience and it's some experience he can bring to spring training which is certainly positive. But what if he struggles mightily and even regresses because he wasn't ready yet? The only positive thing that can come out of this is that he will be ready sooner. Why take a chance with his confidence?

On the other hand, I think it's important to establish a winning attitude whenever possible. There are probably 5-6 guys on that current New Hampshire team who I could see in a big league uni in a few years with Drabek and Stewart as potential rotation guys as soon as 2012. Having these guys be a part of a potential league championship is good for any player. I want my young players used to winning!

Im not advocating having him as a September call up, infact if I was the gm I would just let him pitch the rest of the season\post-season, he is about to pitch the most innings of his career and he already has had TJ once, there is no reason to add on even more innings to that arm.

I just think its not a valid argument to think that your going to learn something pitching in minor league playoffs that you wont learn pitching at the best level in the world.

T.O. Fan
08-25-2010, 08:13 PM

He's not being called up this year. End of story.

H-MYK
08-25-2010, 08:17 PM
I don't think Drabek would be seeing any MLB action any time soon so don't count on it.

Kenny Powders
08-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Why the rush? The team is not going to be doing anything this year. Chances are next year won't be much better. Realistically 2012 or even 2013 is where, hopefully, we will be in the thick of things.

Personally, a September call up next year should be a realistic outlook. Thats if all things are going well. Give him all the time he needs.

BigEasy1323
08-25-2010, 08:40 PM
As a fan I would love to see Drabek pitch in September, but in all likely hood he is going to stay in AA. I do not think the Jays management are going to allow him many more innings on his arm after the Tommy John surgery. He will set his career high this year, stretch it out next year even more then come up in September 2011

Keep in mind the Blue Jays have a number of pitchers ahead of Drabek on the depth chart they are going to want to see for next season and the future

Bjaxn45
08-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Im not advocating having him as a September call up, infact if I was the gm I would just let him pitch the rest of the season\post-season, he is about to pitch the most innings of his career and he already has had TJ once, there is no reason to add on even more innings to that arm.

I just think its not a valid argument to think that your going to learn something pitching in minor league playoffs that you wont learn pitching at the best level in the world.

I get that but I think since he pitched 158 last year and the general rule as a starter prospect is to increase your innings gradually every year. I suspect he'll end up pitching something like 175-180 (not sure how many regular season starts are left but he'll undoubtedly have one postseason start). Not opposed to the idea though.

As for the majors experience vs minors playoff run, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

wamco
08-26-2010, 04:11 PM
[QUOTE=halladaymvp;14683066]We're a rebuilding team and Drabek is the centerpiece prized prospect who came back in the Halladay deal. He's still a few years away from being ready and it would absolutely be a step back to bring him just to appease some fans.

Are we talking about Drabek or Gose here?

ramz.n
08-26-2010, 05:20 PM
[QUOTE=halladaymvp;14683066]We're a rebuilding team and Drabek is the centerpiece prized prospect who came back in the Halladay deal. He's still a few years away from being ready and it would absolutely be a step back to bring him just to appease some fans.

Are we talking about Drabek or Gose here?

think hes talking about drabek

wamco
08-26-2010, 07:28 PM
oh, then he is incorrect

BlueJays_29
08-27-2010, 12:26 PM
I think the news with Strasburg today is enough motivation to shut Drabek down soon, considering Drabek already had TJ.

returnofvdub'10
08-27-2010, 01:55 PM
just NO. not a chance Drabek gets called up in Sept. I say they give him a shot (but no guarantees) in spring '11 and if he doesnt impress to the point where he shows he is ready, then they send him back to Vegas (or wherever they are next year) and we may see him as a September '11 call up. Patients people...whether you know it or not, Jays are incredibly deep in pitching so no rush bringing up the next "Doc"!

JimBob
08-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Honestly there isn't much of a reason to call him up. We're in the process of finishing out a 4th place season, and Drabek has already thrown a lot of innings this year. Let him rest and be ready to fight for a rotation spot next season. Other than just for fans to see him pitch there is NO REASON to rush him.

returnofvdub'10
08-27-2010, 02:10 PM
so from the sounds of it...looks like Drabek will have to wait for a while until he gets to the show...sorry guys...MOB RULES! hahaha. Time to close this thread. The people have spoken!