PDA

View Full Version : Rondo WITHDRAWS from U.S. roster for worlds

Hustlenomics
08-24-2010, 03:07 PM
ATHENS, Greece -- The U.S. national basketball team finalized its roster for the FIBA World Championship when Boston Celtics star Rajon Rondo asked to withdraw from consideration.

Rondo had started the Americans' first two exhibition games, then surprisingly didn't play at all Sunday when the U.S. edged Spain.

Earlier Tuesday, Rondo told ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan that he felt he might be the team's final cut.

"I think I'm on the bubble," Rondo said Tuesday. "Just looking at the obvious -- I got a DNP last game. That pretty much speaks for itself."

USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo said Rondo offered to withdraw to take care of "some family matters to attend to and some things to take care of before the NBA season."

"[Rondo] did an outstanding job during our training, we appreciate the effort and commitment he made to our program and he completely has our support," Colangelo said in a statement announcing Rondo's withdrawal and Team USA's final roster.

The final 12-man roster set Tuesday includes: Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, Rudy Gay, Lamar Odom, Chauncey Billups, Danny Granger, Russell Westbrook, Eric Gordon, Stephen Curry, Kevin Love, Tyson Chandler and Andre Iguodala.

Coach Mike Krzyzewski's team has one more tuneup against Greece on Wednesday. The world championships start Saturday in Turkey and run through Sept. 12.

After losing his job as the starting point guard to Derrick Rose last weekend in Madrid, Rondo's stock had fallen to the point where he was apparently third on the point guard depth chart behind Rose and Westbrook.

But on Tuesday, before Rondo withdrew, Krzyzewski said his decision would be based on assembling the best roster for the tournament.

"It's not so much what Rajon has to show, it's what our team needs. We've found a good lineup, and the international game is so different from the NBA game, you can ask any of these guys," Krzyzewski said. "Part of it is to make sure that we try not to have two non-shooters out on the court, and there's the physicality, too."

Rondo played poorly (1 of 4, two points, one assist, four turnovers) in the Americans' game against Lithuania on Saturday in which they failed to establish a fast pace and scored just seven points in the first quarter. Rondo and Chandler were replaced by Rose and Odom in the starting five the following night against Spain.

While Rondo is a strong rebounder, his inability to consistently hit jump shots and free throws -- he was 5 of 19 (26 percent) in the NBA Finals -- were two factors working against him.

arkanian215
08-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Someone was saying earlier that Rondo would've been cut anyway.

Hustlenomics
08-24-2010, 03:10 PM

no

gbrl
08-24-2010, 03:11 PM
westbrook came on when it counted and took his spot i also thought granger was on the bubble considering he didnt play either against spain

Chacarron
08-24-2010, 03:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=5493184

arkanian215
08-24-2010, 03:21 PM
no

lol You're telling me no one said that earlier? Go take a look at what Coach K and Rondo said earlier and tell me those aren't signs that Rondo would've been cut.

YoungOne
08-24-2010, 03:22 PM
i hope usa goes down hard..

Gators123
08-24-2010, 03:23 PM

Not going to happen

LakeShowRaider
08-24-2010, 03:23 PM
SO he gave up?

tredigs
08-24-2010, 03:24 PM
This thread will go nowhere. The Bulls fans will postulate that it was just a coverup, and everyone else entertain that idea while also taking into account that Coach K and Coangelo had nothing but great things to say about Rondo throughout the entire process (and continuing so after the final game against Spain), calling him a "great player who we already know what to expect for us, so I wanted to try out the other guys - he's somebody who is proven and we can trust to lead us in the tough environments we will be facing in Turkey". <- Paraphrase.

Coangelo then went on record to say, "Rondo came to us and requested to withdraw due to family issues back home - he was great for us the entire exhibition but we respect the decision and have his back" <- again paraphrase.

Wrote the same thing in the other Rondo thread - and it could have been smoke and mirrors, but somehow I doubt it.

Regardless, Bulls fans need to stop getting off on the fact that they believe this puts "Rose>Rondo" in NBA basketball. Even in the conspiracy scenario that they have, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things. At this point Rondo is the superior, more complete, and better player.

With that said, no more Rose/Rondo from me. Have at it.

Cool007
08-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Do you guys really believe that Rondo withdrew??? Really?

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=5492343

Rajon Rondo thinks he's on the bubble

ATHENS, Greece -- Somebody is going to get cut from Team USA after Wednesday night's exhibition game against Greece, and Rajon Rondo has no illusions about where he stands.

"I think I'm on the bubble," Rondo said Tuesday. "Just looking at the obvious -- I got a DNP last game. That pretty much speaks for itself."

Rajon Rondo, could find himself on the outside looking in on Team USA's roster.

After losing his job as the starting point guard to Derrick Rose last weekend in Madrid, Rondo's stock has fallen to the point where it now appears he is third on the point guard depth chart behind Rose and Russell Westbrook.

I thought he was a lock. I still think it's 1 of Gordon/Westbrook/Love/Granger that will be cut.

Rondo is safe IMO.

I will be HUGE surprised if he gets cut.

Although this quote from Coach K???

When pressed on who may or may not be on the bubble, Krzyzewski gave a very strong indication that Stephen Curry is not.

Rondo Just looking at the obvious -- I got a DNP last game. That pretty much speaks for itself.
-- Rajon Rondo

"It's not so much what Rajon has to show, it's what our team needs. We've found a good lineup, and the international game is so different from the NBA game, you can ask any of these guys," Krzyzewski said. "Part of it is to make sure that we try not to have two non-shooters out on the court, and there's the physicality, too.

"Derrick right now being with Chauncey is a good [combination], and Stephen, he provides a different thing, because if they are going under [screens] and they keep going under on him, then he has a 3. So it forces another team to change the way they defend our team. So it's things like that, and how we feel strategy-wise what'll be best for the team."

Hawkeye15
08-24-2010, 03:30 PM
please make sure this does NOT turn into a Rose/Rondo/any other PG thread. Stay on topic and that is the US team

Antipod
08-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Strange ... :confused:

arkanian215
08-24-2010, 03:32 PM

I thought he was a lock. I still think it's 1 of Gordon/Westbrook/Love/Granger that will be cut.

Rondo is safe IMO.

Yeah that was what I was trying to point out to the OP.

Ovratd1up
08-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Krzyzewski
"It's not so much what Rajon has to show, it's what our team needs. We've found a good lineup, and the international game is so different from the NBA game, you can ask any of these guys. Part of it is to make sure that we try not to have two non-shooters out on the court, and there's the physicality, too.

"Derrick right now being with Chauncey is a good [combination], and Stephen, he provides a different thing, because if they are going under [screens] and they keep going under on him, then he has a 3. So it forces another team to change the way they defend our team. So it's things like that, and how we feel strategy-wise what'll be best for the team."

It did sound like he was going to be cut even if he didn't withdraw. Not so much for not being a good player, just that the team needed other things.

Chacarron
08-24-2010, 03:33 PM
What the OP bolded was actually in the ESPN link but now they edited the article.

tredigs
08-24-2010, 03:33 PM

Rondo is safe IMO.

I never saw those comments from Coach K, if those are legit then I completely agree that it was no doubt a legitimate cut that they are covering up - and can understand the decision (though I think his defense and playmaking would have been huge against a team like Spain and a player like Rubio).

And like he said (and Hawkeye correctly guessed last week), it's not the prototypical ideal game for international ball - but 100% ideal for the NBA.

So we can finally end the debate for now it seems: ROSE > RONDO! (in fiba).

And Rondo > Rose in the NBA.

Mr Moody
08-24-2010, 03:34 PM
what a b

Hustlenomics
08-24-2010, 03:35 PM
lol You're telling me no one said that earlier? Go take a look at what Coach K and Rondo said earlier and tell me those aren't signs that Rondo would've been cut.

he said rondo is the best defender and his leadership is needed out there and that he was pretty much a lock..Rondo just withdrawed today

Hustlenomics
08-24-2010, 03:36 PM
This thread will go nowhere. The Bulls fans will postulate that it was just a coverup, and everyone else entertain that idea while also taking into account that Coach K and Coangelo had nothing but great things to say about Rondo throughout the entire process (and continuing so after the final game against Spain), calling him a "great player who we already know what to expect for us, so I wanted to try out the other guys - he's somebody who is proven and we can trust to lead us in the tough environments we will be facing in Turkey". <- Paraphrase.

Coangelo then went on record to say, "Rondo came to us and requested to withdraw due to family issues back home - he was great for us the entire exhibition but we respect the decision and have his back" <- again paraphrase.

Wrote the same thing in the other Rondo thread - and it could have been smoke and mirrors, but somehow I doubt it.

Regardless, Bulls fans need to stop getting off on the fact that they believe this puts "Rose>Rondo" in NBA basketball. Even in the conspiracy scenario that they have, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things. At this point Rondo is the superior, more complete, and better player.

true

DaBUU
08-24-2010, 03:39 PM

you wish our B Unit still isnt the best team in the world.

Seyton

Anyone who's ever seen Rondo play knows he's a star. Anyone who's ever seen Rose play knows he's a star, too.

As for who's better, who cares? They were both awesome when pitted against each other two years ago. It just depends on what you prefer or what you need.

king4day
I can't believe this thread is garnering so much negativity. Officially he withdrew. I'm sure if he knew he had a spot, he wouldn't have.
Maybe he was frustrated with not knowing and instead did this to just end any suspicion.

DaBUU
08-24-2010, 03:41 PM
haha the mods are in riot gear right now

YoungOne
08-24-2010, 03:43 PM
you wish our B Unit still isnt the best team in the world.

no, just dont like me-first pointguards, and the roster is full of them...

zambo4president
08-24-2010, 03:44 PM
:laugh: :laugh: Where's the Rondo fans now? D Rose ends up the starter in the end

arkanian215
08-24-2010, 03:44 PM
he said rondo is the best defender and his leadership is needed out there and that he was pretty much a lock..Rondo just withdrawed today

Where did it say Rondo was pretty much a lock?

Go read what Cool007 posted.

Ovratd1up
08-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Anyone who's ever seen Rondo play knows he's a star. Anyone who's ever seen Rose play knows he's a star, too.

As for who's better, who cares? They were both awesome when pitted against each other two years ago. It just depends on what you prefer or what you need.

Exactly. Rondo is perfect for what Boston needs, and Rose is a much better fit on the Bulls than Rondo would be.

tredigs
08-24-2010, 03:45 PM

100% agree - it was more of a joke being that PSD is obsessed with the debate.

I can't believe this thread is garnering so much negativity. Officially he withdrew. I'm sure if he knew he had a spot, he wouldn't have.
Maybe he was frustrated with not knowing and instead did this to just end any suspicion.

You mod here, and the negativity in a thread where Rondo was cut from a team that Rose is on surprises you? The Bulls fan that created the original "RONDO CUT!!" thread was practically creaming his pants. That isn't going to go over well with Rondo fans... especially when the official word was that it was a withdraw. Just creates a cesspool of argument.

DaBUU
08-24-2010, 03:46 PM

to be honest I have not seen one of our PG's playing selfishly. and for the record, i think Rondo should of made it over Westbrook.

Ovratd1up
08-24-2010, 03:46 PM

Maybe scoring point guards, definitely not "me first."

Hustlenomics
08-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Where did it say Rondo was pretty much a lock?

Go read what Cool007 posted.

"[Stephen] Curry has been out [with a sprained ankle], so we wanted to give him a chance and we already know what Rondo and Granger can do, and Love was out," Krzyzewski told reporters afterward. "That was our plan tonight, just to take a better look at our team."

As for Rondo, it appears he has done more than enough to earn the trust of Krzyzewski who spoke glowingly about the Celtic all-star last week when Team USA was training in New York City.

"We're going to be in some very difficult environments," Krzyzewski said at the time. "And Rondo . . . Rondo is as tough as anybody. He's trying to just lead our team, get everybody involved, play great defense and win. That's who he is."

DeShaun Brown
08-24-2010, 03:51 PM

:clap:

Khalifa21
08-24-2010, 03:53 PM
That's pretty big, does this mean Derrick Rose will start?

tredigs
08-24-2010, 03:56 PM
to be honest I have not seen one of our PG's playing selfishly. and for the record, i think Rondo should of made it over Westbrook.

Why? Westbrook is averaging 7 ppg on 70% shooting to Rose's 5 ppg on 35% shooting. He's doing that in nearly half the minutes Rose is playing. Rose also leads the team in turnovers and is a weaker defensive player than Westbrook.

I'm fine with the Rondo cut/withdraw/whatever (though again we could have used that playmaking ability + leadership + defense), but a Bulls fan saying that Westbrook should be cut when he has outplayed Rose in the limited minutes he's had? Sort of rubs the wrong way.

One way or the other, the team is now settled though. Now let's take out these god damn dirty Euro's! ; ] (i'm a Euro citizen also, I can say that ; P

arkanian215
08-24-2010, 03:57 PM
"[Stephen] Curry has been out [with a sprained ankle], so we wanted to give him a chance and we already know what Rondo and Granger can do, and Love was out," Krzyzewski told reporters afterward. "That was our plan tonight, just to take a better look at our team."

As for Rondo, it appears he has done more than enough to earn the trust of Krzyzewski who spoke glowingly about the Celtic all-star last week when Team USA was training in New York City.

"We're going to be in some very difficult environments," Krzyzewski said at the time. "And Rondo . . . Rondo is as tough as anybody. He's trying to just lead our team, get everybody involved, play great defense and win. That's who he is."

That doesn't say to me that he was pretty much a lock. We needed size and rebounding. We also need outside shooters. So who do you think was coming off the roster?

DodgerBulls
08-24-2010, 03:59 PM

When was the article posted? I like rondo really, not your typical bull fan here, but with intl play.. he needs to shoot the ball sometime. We don't have a great big man on the post so scoring outside the paint is needed. If only rondo trust himself that he can shoot, check out the horse event in the past all star weekend, he has it.. he just need confidence. If he ever maintain his d and learn how to shoot.. then id cut rose, if westbrook is not around, then give the spot to rondo.

DaBUU
08-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Why? Westbrook is averaging 7 ppg on 70% shooting to Rose's 5 ppg on 35% shooting. He's doing that in nearly half the minutes Rose is playing. Rose also leads the team in turnovers and is a weaker defensive player than Westbrook.

I'm fine with the Rondo cut/withdraw/whatever (though again we could have used that playmaking ability + leadership + defense), but a Bulls fan saying that Westbrook should be cut when he has outplayed Rose in the limited minutes he's had? Sort of rubs the wrong way.

One way or the other, the team is now settled though. Now let's take out these god damn dirty Euro's! ; ] (i'm a Euro citizen also, I can say that ; P

i think its hard to project how their stats so far in camp and exhibitions (i refuse to call them friendly's) will translate once the real competition begins. Coach sees that Rose brings what Westbrook does athletically and adds to that with his shooting ability. Hes strong and sturdy enough to handle Euro competition, since they get away with hacking and swinging. Not too mention Rose hits free throws, which showed at the end of Espana game.

nitric
08-24-2010, 04:05 PM
:clap:

Ovratd1up
08-24-2010, 04:08 PM

You have to take a break from this. Let's talk about it in another three games. 60 minutes of Rose's play is not end-all be-all, even just for FIBA play. And 30 minutes of Westbrook sure as hell isn't either. I get what you're saying. So does everyone else not blinded enough by homerism to actually pay attention to what you're saying. The homers gon be homer, no matter what facts you provide that say otherwise.

Which country did you get citizenship from?

tcav701
08-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Does anyone actually think the team is better w/o Rondo??

VinceGully
08-24-2010, 04:21 PM
SO he gave up?

this

Tony_Starks
08-24-2010, 04:21 PM
No real shocker here, he just bowed out before the obvious. Until recently it was Gordon and Westbrook fighting for the final spot but they really both came on strong in the last few games, especially Gordon. He really surprised a lot of folks with his range.

This is a good experience for Rondo hopefully it shows him the need to keep working on his game. He's easily the best defensive pg on the team but by far has the weakest jumper and shortest range of the 4. Thats not a knock on him, thats reality. When they go to a zone thats pretty much a liability....

Same story we've been hearing on Rondo since he entered the league really he has to work on his shooting.

JonnyBrav000
08-24-2010, 04:23 PM
please make sure this does NOT turn into a Rose/Rondo/any other PG thread. Stay on topic and that is the US team

Staying on topic, Rondo would have been cut anyway, Derrick Rose is the better player (Wolrd tournament and NBA coming into this season, plus Rondo has had the better team help him look better than he really is but now Rose's team has improved and so has his game).

Now off topic, best NBA PG's

1. Chris Paul
2. D. Williams
3. C. Billups
4. D. Rose
5. R. Rondo

JWO35
Its nice to know Rondo saved Rose from the humiliation of getting cut...

chitownbulls

I understand that you are argueing a point. but in your earlier posts, your insulting all bulls fans. Why take a shot at the whole fanbase? what you said is just a generelization, not a fact. And EVERY fanbase has homers. OKC favor Westbrook, some LA fans probably think Kobe is better than MJ, NYC has danilo.

Seriously cut the **** talk about the bulls. You just have a developed hatred for them now.

Ovratd1up
08-24-2010, 04:28 PM

Only the coach.

Hustlenomics
08-24-2010, 04:28 PM
That doesn't say to me that he was pretty much a lock. We needed size and rebounding. We also need outside shooters. So who do you think was coming off the roster?

eric gordon

Tony_Starks
08-24-2010, 04:31 PM
When was the article posted? I like rondo really, not your typical bull fan here, but with intl play.. he needs to shoot the ball sometime. We don't have a great big man on the post so scoring outside the paint is needed. If only rondo trust himself that he can shoot, check out the horse event in the past all star weekend, he has it.. he just need confidence. If he ever maintain his d and learn how to shoot.. then id cut rose, if westbrook is not around, then give the spot to rondo.

I agree with this totally. Watching his form and mechanics there's no reason why he shouldn't be a respectable shooter/ respectable from the line. I think at this point its strictly confidence.

boolish
08-24-2010, 04:34 PM
put two and two together people. it's not rocket science here.

boolish
08-24-2010, 04:35 PM
I agree with this totally. Watching his form and mechanics there's no reason why he shouldn't be a respectable shooter/ respectable from the line. I think at this point its strictly confidence.

well if he doesn't have confidence he can't shoot and if he can't shoot he can't make this team. it's not about what you believe. it's about reality on the court.

WSU Tony
08-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Reports say that Rondo went back to Boston to "work on his game" after getting his *** handed to him by Rubio.

nickdymez
08-24-2010, 04:36 PM
No way Rondo should be playing behind westbrook. I would "withdraw" too...

boolish
08-24-2010, 04:37 PM

apparently Jerry and Mike do.

tcav701
08-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Reports say that Rondo went back to Boston to "work on his game" after getting his *** handed to him by Rubio.

Rondo DNP against Spain

Rose got schooled by Rubio not Rondo.

Tony_Starks
08-24-2010, 04:47 PM
well if he doesn't have confidence he can't shoot and if he can't shoot he can't make this team. it's not about what you believe. it's about reality on the court.

Check my previous post pal, I said he has the weakest shot of all the pg's on the team and he's a offensive liability against a zone D. Im completely in reality. I stated my subjective opinion as to why I believe he's such a poor shooter.

WSU Tony
Rubio scared Rondo enough to quit the team without even playing against him? Wow, that Spanish kid is good!

lol.

Rondo has family issues.

Hawkeye15
Rondo DNP against Spain

Rose got schooled by Rubio not Rondo.

I am obviously making a joke here, so don't take it the wrong way

But if Rose is better than Rondo, like so many of you claim, doesn't that mean Rubio would have handled Rondo even easier?

:)

tcav701
08-24-2010, 04:50 PM
I am obviously making a joke here, so don't take it the wrong way

But if Rose is better than Rondo, like so many of you claim, doesn't that mean Rubio would have handled Rondo even easier?

:)

of course seeing as how it is a fact that Rose is the better defender LOL

Baller1
08-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Westbrook stays! Yay!

uptown0364
08-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Wow, what a quitter. I bet they remember that when they select for the Olympics next time around. Whether he quit because of the DNP or he really just wanted to straighten stuff up at home isn't the point. He quit on his country late in the process and shouldn't even be considered for the Olympic team.

Hugbees
08-24-2010, 04:52 PM

no

yes.

Hustlenomics
08-24-2010, 04:56 PM
yes.

keep wishing

nickdymez
08-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Wow, what a quitter. I bet they remember that when they select for the Olympics next time around. Whether he quit because of the DNP or he really just wanted to straighten stuff up at home isn't the point. He quit on his country late in the process and shouldn't even be considered for the Olympic team.

He was gonna get cut

PraiseJesus
08-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Stephen Curry > Rondo

Scarface-Bulls
08-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Cuttin Rondo doesn't mean well for team usa....Of course i think Rose is better than Rondo at basketball but i would have cut eric gordon or kevin love

DaBUU
08-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Cuttin Rondo doesn't mean well for team usa....Of course i think Rose is better than Rondo at basketball but i would have cut eric gordon or kevin love

No to Kevin Love, i think he needs to play more on this team.

Scarface-Bulls
08-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Coach K knows what he's doing....if Rondo was going to get cut and withdrew early to deal with "family matters," so be it. Team usa was loaded with point guards, so much we are starting two point guards: Billups and Rose.

PraiseJesus
08-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Rondo cant hit a jumpshot or free throw he had to go

heattiltheend94
08-24-2010, 05:23 PM

You are just a young one, you will eventually learn

Oakley's Fist
08-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Cutting Gordon over Rondo would have been dumb. They need shooters not guys who can only drive to the basket.

tredigs
08-24-2010, 05:32 PM
You have to take a break from this. Let's talk about it in another three games. 60 minutes of Rose's play is not end-all be-all, even just for FIBA play. And 30 minutes of Westbrook sure as hell isn't either. I get what you're saying. So does everyone else not blinded enough by homerism to actually pay attention to what you're saying. The homers gon be homer, no matter what facts you provide that say otherwise.

Which country did you get citizenship from?

Ovr, I realize that the debate is very close and even in Rose's favor being that he has the inside track in popularity and with Coach K, but any chance I can get to make that debate any more real than people (you're right, mostly just homers) are willing to accept it, I am probably going to take ; ]

French originally, but now the entire European Union. I've almost always lived in America though.

smiddy012
08-24-2010, 05:33 PM
I dont really think his game translates well the international scene, specifically because he cant shoot.

And really if Rondo has such a high ceiling of potential he would have made the team. If not that his personality got in the way then.

TheShock45
08-24-2010, 05:36 PM
im pretty sure it was announced he was cut and then they said he withdrew, he was just tryin got save face he should just accept it.

TheWatcher34
08-24-2010, 05:38 PM
the typical Bulls fan doesnt care now if team USA fails...their triumph has been fulfilled by Rondo not being part of the team. OMG

smiddy012
08-24-2010, 05:42 PM
the typical Bulls fan doesnt care now if team USA fails...their triumph has been fulfilled by Rondo not being part of the team. OMG

Well the fact that Rose is on the team is good enough for us Bulls fans to care about their success. As for the team being better with or without Rondo thats for the coaches to decide...

ILLN355
08-24-2010, 05:46 PM
and here i thought he had the heart of the champion like his teammates. hes still better then rose hahaha

Ovratd1up
08-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Ovr, I realize that the debate is very close and even in Rose's favor being that he has the inside track in popularity and with Coach K, but any chance I can get to make that debate any more real than people (you're right, mostly just homers) are willing to accept it, I am probably going to take ; ]

Ha, fine. Whatever suits you.

French originally, but now the entire European Union. I've almost always lived in America though.

Nice, I'm the same with England, but they now changed it so that you can't get full European citizenship with British citizenship. :(

grayski
08-24-2010, 05:54 PM
He quit, what a great attitude! His family issues just come to light after his first DNP and him saying he thought he was on the bubble. If you believe that you are clearly drink the water. KD, Rose, and crew are in for a tough time but they can more handle it. GO USA!

Rego247
08-24-2010, 05:57 PM
sucks for usa, they'll miss his defense and toughness at the one.

whatever his family issues are i hope its not serious.

smith&wesson
08-24-2010, 06:07 PM
dont you guys know what rondo is like ? he is a snooty little punk . he quit because he lost his starting spot to d rose. why else.

family issues my ***. more like insecurity issues.

GSW Hoops
08-24-2010, 06:10 PM
Steph Curryyyyy pushed him out.

Hiphopopotamus
08-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Yeah it has to be one of three things: (1) it is either a very serious family issue (ie:emergency) if it was a previously existing issue then why did he even go to Europe or (2) he quit because the DNP-CD/possibility of being cut (a real thing seeing as he was a attitude prob at UK and first couple of years in BOS) or (3) he was cut and this is the USA cover....so either he was cut, quit, or real emergency (hope not)....seems most likely he was cut with cover or quit

Hiphopopotamus
08-24-2010, 06:16 PM
dont you guys know what rondo is like ? he is a snooty little punk . he quit because he lost his starting spot to d rose. why else.

thats what i kinda think too

Celtic AL
08-24-2010, 06:31 PM

this is the smartest post i ever read! and hes right

Celtic AL
08-24-2010, 06:32 PM

and your not?

smith&wesson
08-24-2010, 06:37 PM
and your not?

I like rondos game alot actually, but even doc rivers knows rondo has atitude problems.

as for me, why do yo u care if im insecure or not ? id love to get to know you but unless your a hot chick that wont happen. im not in to dudes. sorry bro.

Celtic AL
08-24-2010, 06:39 PM
I like rondos game alot actually, but even doc rivers knows rondo has atitude problems.

as for me, why do yo u care if im insecure or not ? id love to get to know you but unless your a hot chick that wont happen. im not in to dudes. sorry bro.

dude enough

Kashmir13579
08-24-2010, 06:42 PM
surprising. maybe he wants to enjoy his summer and kick it in the life of luxury. who could blame him. it aint like this is the olympics.

Kashmir13579
08-24-2010, 06:43 PM
thats what i kinda think too

he's also the best pg in basketball.

arkanian215
08-24-2010, 06:44 PM
eric gordon

Why?

Hiphopopotamus
08-24-2010, 06:48 PM
he's also the best pg in basketball.

false. he's very very good, but not the best in the league. NYK has an option of Rondo, D Will, Paul...you're taking Rondo?

Run&Gun
08-24-2010, 07:23 PM
false. he's very very good, but not the best in the league. NYK has an option of Rondo, D Will, Paul...you're taking Rondo?

Yeah I agree, Rondo isn't the best PG still at least a step or two behind D will and Paul, although he probably plays the best defense out of all of them.

Not sure if he was really going to get cut, but the timing is a little off, but considering a few things I wouldn't have been surprised if he wasn't if the conversation of being cut. Couple things to look at:

1. A lot of Rondo's game is based on driving and dishing, in Fiba floor spacing isn't as good since the 3 point line is only 20 feet away so lane is more congested and packed compared to the NBA, he was having a harder time creating.
2. Last couple games hasn't been particularly effective
3. Rondo is the worse shooter on the team
4. Rondo seemed to have a harder transition that the rest in the team with outlet passing to other players and playing run and gun offense especially since in Boston IS the fast break.
5. USA may not really need Rondo's passing ability since they have so many great passers on their team including Iggy, Odom and the fact they play two PG's most of the time.
I also think Westbrook made a great last push playing very well last couple games, having good chemistry with USA's star Durant and his defense is just as good as Rondo but he can guard SG's and he's stronger. I think Westbrook probably was not going to be cut.

Again not sure it he was going to get cut but it wouldn't surprise me if he was being at least considered along with Gordon and Curry.
But as a Warrior fan I'm stoked that Curry made it.

smith&wesson
08-24-2010, 07:24 PM
dude enough

LOL

sorry you had to make it personel though.... thats what i do when ppl make things personel.

I did say i like rondo's game so that was my peace offering. dont take things soo personal man. were just killing time here. your a good guy celtic al and admire you standing up for your team. thats a good fan!

Cromedome
08-24-2010, 07:32 PM
It was probably that play against lithuania. Rondo steals the ball and then does a SLOW jog to the hoop only to get BLOCKED by a hustling lithuania player.

If I was the coach..I would have cut him on the spot.

avrpatsfan
08-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Commie! :p

Hustlenomics
08-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Why?

because rondo is light years better than him..hes the worst on the team

xxcubs22xx
08-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Rondo would have made it. I think there are a few guys on the team that are banged up a bit, and ontop of that, there were definitely other guys on the bubble moreso then Rondo.

And seriously, Tredigs. You complain about the Rose/Rondo debate, when in all honesty, you were the first person to bring it up in this thread. Give it a rest dude, quit calling out Bulls fans like that. You are the one who brought it up.

arkanian215
08-24-2010, 08:48 PM
because rondo is light years better than him..hes the worst on the team

Eric Gordon fills a need for Team USA. What's the point of having 4 guys who need the ball in their hands running the show to do what they do best? Talent isn't always the deciding factor in who gets cut or who gets PT.

Bullsfan22
08-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Rondo would have made it. I think there are a few guys on the team that are banged up a bit, and ontop of that, there were definitely other guys on the bubble moreso then Rondo.

And seriously, Tredigs. You complain about the Rose/Rondo debate, when in all honesty, you were the first person to bring it up in this thread. Give it a rest dude, quit calling out Bulls fans like that. You are the one who brought it up.

This.

Hustlenomics
08-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Eric Gordon fills a need for Team USA. What's the point of having 4 guys who need the ball in their hands running the show to do what they do best? Talent isn't always the deciding factor in who gets cut or who gets PT.

jj reddick and korver can shoot, why werent they invited since they fill team needs :laugh2:

arkanian215
08-24-2010, 08:59 PM
jj reddick and korver can shoot, why werent they invited since they fill team needs :laugh2:

They weren't on the 15 man roster when it began for whatever reason and Eric Gordon was.

Tony_Starks
08-24-2010, 09:08 PM
I just read that he didn't even talk to any of his teammates, he just told management and bounced. Thats pretty wack, it said that some of them were kinda shocked. Not that he owes it to them but you would think after forming that comradery and attempting to be "the leader" it would've been the cool thing to do to inform them and wish them luck......

NYMetros
08-24-2010, 09:19 PM

How many games has the US even played? I seriously have no idea. It can't be more than 4 or 5. Regardless, you're throwing out all these stats to back your claims and basing how good a player is off a 60 minute sample size. That doesn't sound stupid in the least bit to you?

Avenged
08-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Even with all the Bulls fans excited about Rondo not being on the team anymore, I still hope for Rose to really pick it up, not for himself or Bulls fans but more-so for team U.S.A.

Some fans will either look really dumb or really smart by the time it's all set and done.

dodie53
08-24-2010, 10:23 PM
problems with his shooting.
tsk tsk

Hustlenomics
08-24-2010, 10:31 PM
I just read that he didn't even talk to any of his teammates, he just told management and bounced. Thats pretty wack, it said that some of them were kinda shocked. Not that he owes it to them but you would think after forming that comradery and attempting to be "the leader" it would've been the cool thing to do to inform them and wish them luck......

he aint got time for team usa he gotta get ready for the celtic season that's more important

Cromedome
08-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback regarding my post. :facepalm:

unwantedplayer
08-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Stephen Curry > Rondo

lol

69centers
08-24-2010, 11:05 PM
The closest USA came to losing was the game Rondo didn't play. I still say he wasn't going to be the one cut. I guess we'll never know.

Super.
08-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Rondo never seemed to be quite FIBA-esque player anyway.

Now he can't get hurt for the NBA season

What?
08-24-2010, 11:38 PM
The closest USA came to losing was the game Rondo didn't play. I still say he wasn't going to be the one cut. I guess we'll never know.

Thats because the game he didn't play was against probably the 2nd best team in the world behind US while the games he did play were against teams with scrub NBA players if any

xxcubs22xx
08-25-2010, 01:06 AM

Its posts like these that make me even QUESTION why I visit these forums.

ahhhhh "typical bulls fan"....wtf do you know....NOTHING

nightBULL
08-25-2010, 01:08 AM
Yeah it has to be one of three things: (1) it is either a very serious family issue (ie:emergency) if it was a previously existing issue then why did he even go to Europe or (2) he quit because the DNP-CD/possibility of being cut (a real thing seeing as he was a attitude prob at UK and first couple of years in BOS) or (3) he was cut and this is the USA cover....so either he was cut, quit, or real emergency (hope not)....seems most likely he was cut with cover or quit

Or 4) Delonte West is sleeping with his mom.

...or is that still considered family problems?

Rego247
08-25-2010, 01:43 AM
didnt colangelo say there were familial issues as well? if so it might be serious. maybe he had to withdraw cuz of that.

but i still cant believe he was goin to be cut, and guys gordon, curry, and granger were safe.

LA_Raiders
08-25-2010, 01:51 AM
He is not a good fit, The lil leprechaunt cant shoot...

TopsyTurvy
08-25-2010, 01:54 AM
I have more respect for Rondo after both his play at the tournament/his decision to leave the team than I did coming into the practices/exhibitions/etc.

Even if you look at this in the most negative manner (his mind/body/heart weren't in the competition and there was a cover up about being cut), he was still a part of the decision making process and involved with the growth and development of this team.

thekmp211
08-25-2010, 07:51 AM
not sure if he was the cut. i was under the impression that the DNP players were the ones that had a spot on the team. i prefer his game to rose, especially at the point, but i understand the need for shooting. i still dont understand why they don't replace someone like westbrook/gordon with another big guy. we only have 2, and a 6'11 shooting guard in lamar odom.

Cool007
08-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Can we please stop with the Rondo > Rose or Rose > Rondo nonsense please?

The reason Rondo was going to get cut was mainly because coach K didn't want 2 NON-SHOOTERS on the lineup. If any of you have watched any NON-FRIENDLY World games, you would know that most of the teams play TON of Zones vs team USA especially. That is their best chance at upsetting.

They know the team USA has always been inconsistent in shooting the 3-ball and long jumpers. They know they can't compete against Team USA in the full court running game and USA's athleticism is out of this world.

The problem is that Rondo wouldn't even Look to take a shot from outside. That would be a big NO NO for team USA. You have to be aggressive offensively as well as set others up. Rondo didn't do that in those friendly games. Coach K didn't like that probably and was going to cut him and Rondo knew it so he withdrew.

Rondo getting CUT or withdrawing has nothing to with anything else BUT HIMSELF.

So let's just leave it at that.

DaBUU
08-25-2010, 11:00 AM
I have more respect for Rondo after both his play at the tournament/his decision to leave the team than I did coming into the practices/exhibitions/etc.

Even if you look at this in the most negative manner (his mind/body/heart weren't in the competition and there was a cover up about being cut), he was still a part of the decision making process and involved with the growth and development of this team.

really nice you have more repect for the guy after he quit on his country. You hate America dont you?

Gators123
08-25-2010, 11:02 AM
really nice you have more repect for the guy after he quit on his country. You hate America dont you?
Stop trying to turn it into something it's not.

Stunner
08-25-2010, 12:08 PM
SMH All Boston fans saying he was gonna start over Rose, Rondo knew what it was lol. jp

Hugbees
08-25-2010, 12:55 PM
keep wishing

no need. it already came true.

Hawkeye15
08-25-2010, 09:19 PM
this thread has run its course.