PDA

View Full Version : When will the the Jays be in contention?

masTOR_shake1
08-24-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm looking for your opinions on when you guys feel the team we are building towards will come to fruition and the Jays will be contenders. Clearly there are a number of variables but with the youth movement getting even younger now with the Gose trade and the core of solid vets we will have (lind, ahill, marcum, ricky r etc) when do you think A.A is trying to make it all come to a head and bring home a 'ship? :win:

Jays Claw
08-24-2010, 03:03 PM
I could see them in the thick of things come around 2012/2013.

Manatoo
08-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Yeah around 2012 and 2013, i expect them to take a step back next year.

Kelly Gruber
08-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Hopefully soon. But yeah these guys got the right idea. I've been waiting a long time to be beat the Yankees!

Dr.Funk
08-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Yeah around 2012 and 2013, i expect them to take a step back next year.

Same.

With a new manager and adjustments made by other clubs I expect that next season will be a bit of a regression from this one.

koreancabbage
08-24-2010, 08:40 PM
when Hecchavaria and Gose get to the big leagues. We need some help at the top of the order. Move Hill to Third.
1st Lind
2nd Hecchavaria
SS Escobar
3rd Hill

CF Gose
RF Bautista? Lewis?
LF Snider?

C Arencibia

DH--> major free agent who can hit those balls out of the park.

All this with Lind and Hill getting back to normal selves (assuming)

so 2-3 years.

TO Rapz
08-24-2010, 08:53 PM
hopefully soon, its been really depressing being a Jays fan as of late. But IMO this has been the best season we ve had in a really long time..

BlueJayCarter
08-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Next year will be a little worse then this year, with the free agents we lose and young players beginning to learn how to win. I think Toronto should start contending for around 2012 to 2013.

nads83
08-25-2010, 03:15 PM
depends on when management decides is the right time to spend some money. i feel theres a nice mix of vets and young players on this team. i feel AP might be thinking the same. so if some money is spent this offseason, i dont see why we couldnt compete next yr. no way Hill and Lind have worse years.

nads83
08-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Next year will be a little worse then this year, with the free agents we lose and young players beginning to learn how to win. I think Toronto should start contending for around 2012 to 2013.

all we potentially lose is buck (i have a feeling he might be re-signed tho. arencebia is not ready). the bullpen arms we lose can be replaced.

Halladay
08-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Realistically? 5 years.

nads83
08-25-2010, 03:27 PM
i dont see how we'll be better OR worse in 5yrs. our top of the rotation guys are in their prime and so are some of our better position players. if money was spent (wisely) now, we'd compete now.

T.O. Fan
08-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Once the dinosaurs that run MLB open up the playoffs to more teams.

Kenny Powders
08-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Once the dinosaurs that run MLB open up the playoffs to more teams.

I agree. If they are worried about the season being too long, simply cut the season by a month or so. Playoffs are so much better to watch than regular season. Couple that with the upsets you see in a 5 game series, there's a much better chance that these young teams building through the draft get seasoned in playoff baseball. But try talking logic and MLB in the same sentence. They are the only league not using video replay to its full extent, with respect to how it can be used in each sport.

T.O. Fan
08-25-2010, 08:42 PM
^^^It's gaurenteed to increase overall league attendance and television ratings.

The more teams involved in the hunt later in the season the more interest there would be around the league.

It's a no brainer.

Bjaxn45
08-25-2010, 09:05 PM
i dont see how we'll be better OR worse in 5yrs. our top of the rotation guys are in their prime and so are some of our better position players. if money was spent (wisely) now, we'd compete now.

Marcum is in his prime, I can still see Romero, Morrow and Cecil improving. We don't have a 5th starter really right now. We could be similar to what we are now, who knows.

But I can see A.A. waiting until the right time to invest in players that he thinks will instantly make us a contender. I could see him trading away some assets for more young prospects this summer.

However, I`m not going to say that if we spent money this offseason, we couldn`t be one next year either. It really comes down to does Anthopoulous think that his core of players now is good enough to add pieces now or does he think he can acquire alot of youth and potentially have a better one in 5 years.

I would guess by his comments, and the Anthony Gose trade that we`ll be waiting a few more seasons.

1hardcore
08-25-2010, 10:39 PM
The jays need some bull pen help and that could be done through FA. ... i still think it'll be 2 to 3 years.

by that time.... Drabek, Stewart and Eric Thames will be in the fold !

nithanyo
08-25-2010, 11:18 PM
I expect em to come back down to earth next season with more rookies being added to the mix but 2012 is the season i see AA filling the holes through FA and trades and us competing

Killer93
08-25-2010, 11:27 PM
The jays need some bull pen help and that could be done through FA. ... i still think it'll be 2 to 3 years.

by that time.... Drabek, Stewart and Eric Thames will be in the fold !

It's funny because with most people saying 2-3 years, I was going to ask which prospects you thought would be contributing to that team that would be in the thick of things. Drabek, Stewart and Thames are the obvious choices but who else do you see really stepping up? I'm talking about guys like Emaus, Mastroianni, Carreno, Perez maybe Cooper or Magnusson? It'll be interesting to see.

rainbowcow1
08-26-2010, 01:59 AM
i say in 3-4 years we make the playoffs and in the 5th year we win it all :)

BlueJayCarter
08-26-2010, 07:16 AM
all we potentially lose is buck (i have a feeling he might be re-signed tho. arencebia is not ready). the bullpen arms we lose can be replaced.

I think next year we are not going to bring in Free Agent bullpen but use the AAA pieces and some prospects in the system. You get the bullpen help through FA when you are close to contending. Also, we are probably not quaranteed now going to lose Lyle and Edwin. So we will probably be a bit worse than this year.

BlueJayCarter
08-26-2010, 07:20 AM
I agree that it would be a no-brainer if more teams could get in the playoffs, Toronto and some other teams on the cusp would be in the playoffs.

wamco
08-27-2010, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE=Kenny_Powers;14690959]I agree. If they are worried about the season being too long, simply cut the season by a month or so.

Good stuff.

I recall threads like this where the answer was 2008, 2009 or 2010 at the absolute latest.

jaysfan55
09-01-2010, 10:52 PM
I would say that 2011 is going to be interesting to say the least... We have a great team right now.. and 2011 can be a year where we either improve or stay the same...

2011 NEEDS:
5th Starter
Bullpen Help
Versitile Bench player

My 2011 Team

C John Buck (they will lock him up for 1 more year)
3B Jose Bautista (will get an extension for 2 years)
SS Yunel Escobar
2B Aaron Hill
1B Adam Lind
LF Fred Lewis (2011 could be his breakout year)
CF Vernon Wells
RF Travis Snider
DH Jason Kubel/Andrew Jones(loves hitting in toronto)/Xavier Nady

Bench:

C JP Arencibia (Not ready to start full time yet)
OF Jonny Gomes (guy can hit the ball and would be great off the bench)
INF John McDonald
INF/OF Jaret Hoffpauir (done a great job in AAA)

Pitching:

Marcum
Romero
Morrow
Cecil
Mills/Richmond/Ray/Webb (any would do..)

Pen

Rzepcynski
Roenicke
Jansenn
Camp
Henn (done well in AAA, plus veteran status)
Downs
Gregg (closer)

Asham
09-01-2010, 11:01 PM
2011-2020 the Blue jays will have a dynasty

FlakeyFool
09-01-2010, 11:14 PM

Eagles4Lyfe
09-01-2010, 11:24 PM
man there will be nothing more entertaining than watching a game while its snowing thatll be soo classic...But i think in about 2 years we should be making our move

#1blumpkin
09-01-2010, 11:28 PM
i think by 2012 they will be a playoff team

wamco
09-02-2010, 08:01 AM
I would say that 2011 is going to be interesting to say the least... We have a great team right now.. and 2011 can be a year where we either improve or stay the same...

It's always "not next year, but definitly two years from now we are looking great". I've been hearing this on messageboards since 97.

Billyen
09-03-2010, 11:55 PM
What this team must do is start losing...Wins are bad now...they have been for the last 2 months. I do like our A & B players having good games so they can pad their stats but winning is bad.

The only thing that's important is... ***** dot com /reversestandings/ (draft ranking 2011)

We need a high pick. We are rebuilding or have we forgot?

Look at what Chris sale is doing for the white sox after only being drafted 2 months ago!

Asham
09-04-2010, 12:26 AM
What this team must do is start losing...Wins are bad now...they have been for the last 2 months. I do like our A & B players having good games so they can pad their stats but winning is bad.

The only thing that's important is... ***** dot com /reversestandings/ (draft ranking 2011)

We need a high pick. We are rebuilding or have we forgot?

Look at what Chris sale is doing for the white sox after only being drafted 2 months ago!

Yeah, I think the players have a little more respect for themselves than doing something like that

Billyen
09-04-2010, 01:34 AM
Yeah, I think the players have a little more respect for themselves than doing something like that

Like I care about the millionaire's feeling.

The players and the players union care about themselves. How many fights have broken out this year...millions of kids watching...ya...those great caring players!

We need a high draft pick.

wamco
09-04-2010, 03:57 PM
I would have a hard time finding fault with a player that didn't go "all out" for a 6 month season when the team was half-assing trying to compete in the first place.

Asham
09-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Like I care about the millionaire's feeling.

The players and the players union care about themselves. How many fights have broken out this year...millions of kids watching...ya...those great caring players!

We need a high draft pick.

Doesnt matter if you care, your not the one playing

YSJJaysfan
09-07-2010, 08:12 PM
We are looking right now at all of the internal pieces. ie Drabek, Gose, J.P. etc etc. If Rogers is REALLY wiling to pay the $$ "if it makes sense" can we not contend in 2011 with the pieces we have in place plus a few free agents? We have the core group for the next 3-5,6 years. Most free agents are after multi year deals. Why can we not fill in the holes now?
Instead of looking for a 5th starter, look for a #1 like Lee perhaps. I'm using him as example but he's going to want a long term deal. Why not sign a guy like that to go with the crew we have now and be good for 5-6 years?
This lineup needs a couple of holes filled. Another big HR threat would be nice and speedster at the top of the lineup, added to what we have, it looks pretty darn scary for the rest of the AL east.

Just my thoughts as of late. I don't post very often but I check in to see what's up with you guys almost daily.
Go Jays!

scottythegreat1
09-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Itll be awhile.

As much as I love the Blue Jays. Im smart enough to know that EVERYTHING has to go right for them to make it to the playoffs. This will ALWAYS be the scenario under the Bud Selig regime of baseball. What I am getting at is....baseball has a soft salary cap that isnt tough enough on repeat offenders like the Yankees because they can go over it EVERY YEAR regardless of what they are paying the MLB.

Until baseball get a tougher luxury tax system or a hard salary cap, the Yankees will continue to go over the luxury tax threshold and the Red Sox will continue to be one of the top 5 teams in payroll if they arent #2 in payroll.

There is enough evidence to show that 6 of 8 teams in the playoffs are spending OVER $100 million a year in payroll, so either the Blue Jays dole out the cash, which is probably not going to happen, or theysit back and wait for Bud Selig's replacement to come up with new ideas. They need to start a 10 year limit on sports commissioners because I am sick of the same old same old in sports.

ILDD
09-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Contending next year is not out of the question.

If (and some of these are big if's) the following happen, the wild card is not unattainable

1. Sign Adrian Beltre to play 3B
2. Sign a 1B/DH (Dunn/Konerko)
3. Bounce-back year from Hill
4. Bounce-back year and play an average defensive 1B from Lind
4. Continued success from the top 4 in the rotation
5. Promotion for Drabek and he contributes
6. Fill in the bullpen from internal options

We get slightly worse at C
We stay about the same at SS, 3B, CF
We get much better at 1B, 2B, RF, LF, DH

Should be enough to contend for the wild card

hurleyburley
09-08-2010, 10:29 AM
I think they are closer than most fans believe. If Hill and Lind had normal years and the bullpen had been a little better, the Jays could have been in the thick of it this year. If AA feels that the pieces are there for 2011, I wouldn't be surprised if Rogers springs for some free agent signings. It will all depend on what happens over this winter.

nithanyo
09-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Contending next year is not out of the question.

If (and some of these are big if's) the following happen, the wild card is not unattainable

1. Sign Adrian Beltre to play 3B
2. Sign a 1B/DH (Dunn/Konerko)
3. Bounce-back year from Hill
4. Bounce-back year and play an average defensive 1B from Lind
4. Continued success from the top 4 in the rotation
5. Promotion for Drabek and he contributes
6. Fill in the bullpen from internal options

We get slightly worse at C
We stay about the same at SS, 3B, CF
We get much better at 1B, 2B, RF, LF, DH

Should be enough to contend for the wild card
I dont like the idea of signing adrian beltre. We have a good 3B option at third. I would pool the money towards a proven ace or a good leadoff hitter(crawford).

Other than that i agree with you. We might not need to rush Drabek if we get a proven ace. We might need a closer through free agency as well. I also think platooning JPA and Molina together is a fairly good idea. I would try and resign overbay to split time with Lind at first and DH

LechWalesa
09-08-2010, 12:21 PM
I'd say we're a position player and a bullpen away from being a playoff team. Probably a few more pieces before we touch the WS. They need to find a solution at 1B if they want to compete.

Shifty1 69
09-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Realistically? 5 years.

5 years?? wow, thats a tad skeptical IMO.

North Yorker
09-08-2010, 01:54 PM
If we had the Yanks payroll we could easily win the WS next year. Just sign Lee, Crawford, and Dunn and we'd win 160 games next year.

But we dont so... Im gonna guess 2012, although it could be next year if Rogers felt willing to spend. If we got one impact bat like Crawford I think we could compete. Although I get the feeling that 2 years into that monster contract he'll get he will be like a Vernon Wells burden.

LechWalesa
09-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Yeah, that's also a lot of money to be spending on your outfield.

ILDD
09-08-2010, 03:56 PM
I dont like the idea of signing adrian beltre. We have a good 3B option at third. I would pool the money towards a proven ace or a good leadoff hitter(crawford).

Other than that i agree with you. We might not need to rush Drabek if we get a proven ace. We might need a closer through free agency as well. I also think platooning JPA and Molina together is a fairly good idea. I would try and resign overbay to split time with Lind at first and DH

I like Crawford right now and he would make a massive difference but I think he's going to get a 7 year deal for over $100M. That's fine except in 3 or 4 years he will lose his speed and then it's a horrible contract. The Yanks can afford to make that deal and accept he'll be overpaid and I don't think Toronto can. He's also limited defensively and Wells is going to have to move to a corner at some point, those will be full of Crawford and Snider. I just don't think he's a good fit right now.

Beltre is likely available on a 3 year deal that gives AA a bit of breathing space to fill the position long term. I also love Bautista's arm in RF so I'm looking to fill 3B rather than a corner outfield spot.

Valleyfella
09-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Next year if they're willing to spend some money:

1. Move Bautista to third.
2. Lind takes over first
3. The OF is Wells, Snider and Lewis
4. Pick up a Dunn type to DH.
5. Add a proven veteran starter to go with the Fab Four
6. Keep Downs and Gregg and add two other solid arms to the bullpen.

FlakeyFool
09-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Lotsa jp-itis in here. How about we keep on rebuilding?

FLeays
09-08-2010, 07:00 PM
hopefully soon, its been really depressing being a Jays fan as of late. But IMO this has been the best season we ve had in a really long time..

Don't be depressed. A rotation of Marcum, Romero, Cecil, Morrow, and [hopefully] Drabek is nothing to sneeze at.

wamco
09-09-2010, 05:15 PM
because rebuilding sucks?

A payroll increase would NOT prevent the jays from scanning the globe for players, as well as scouting and drafting to the best of their ability. If that's the part of rebuilding you like, that ain't changing.

silvio
09-10-2010, 08:42 AM
i'm looking for your opinions on when you guys feel the team we are building towards will come to fruition and the jays will be contenders. Clearly there are a number of variables but with the youth movement getting even younger now with the gose trade and the core of solid vets we will have (lind, ahill, marcum, ricky r etc) when do you think a.a is trying to make it all come to a head and bring home a 'ship? :win:

never!