PDA

View Full Version : Source: Bobcats will now look to trade Dampier (post 54)

JordansBulls
08-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Link (http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_the_nba/2010/08/dont-confuse-this-signing-with-a-doover.html)

Again this is one more indication the Bobcats will eventually waive Erick Dampier's contract to off-load about $13 million in salary responsibility. Sorry if that ticks some of you off (I know you want Dampier to be a trade chip), and they certainly gave up an asset in Tyson Chandler

If this is the case, who should get him?

This would be the guy I could see either Oklahoma City or Miami would pursue.

Jays Claw
08-24-2010, 02:26 PM
If this is the case, who should get him?

The Lakers, Thunder or Spurs could use him. :shrug:

bigsams50
08-24-2010, 02:27 PM
I knew we wouldnt be able to find a trade partner. Oh well, at least his contract will be off the books

king4day
08-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Unless a team offers him a lot of money, he's going to Miami.
Once again, another bonehead move by the Bobcats. No one wants to play here, so it's imperative to use him as a trade chip. Instead, they waive him. Welcome back to the lottery Charlotte :pity:

Missing56&33
08-24-2010, 02:31 PM
I dont think Miami want him. Dampier is not a very good basketball player.

bigsams50
08-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Once again, another bonehead move by the Bobcats. No one wants to play here, so it's imperative to use him as a trade chip. Instead, they waive him. Welcome back to the lottery Charlotte :pity:

So you think Dampier being released will cause us to be a lottery team? We just signed Brown and still have Diop to play behind Nazr at C.

bahama0811
08-24-2010, 02:32 PM
The Nuggets could definitely use him.

marlinsfan24
08-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Probably Miami, San Antonio, Los Angeles, or Orlando.

thescore53
08-24-2010, 02:38 PM

what are u talking about ??

Klivlend
08-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Cleveland needs help at the C position. But, if he has another offer I don't see him going there. Besides, not sure how he would fit in with Byron Scotts new run and gun offense.

Wade_County
08-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Someone will offer more then vet min. Thats all Miami could offer so I dont see him here.

Mavrix
08-24-2010, 02:41 PM
He would start at center in Miami if they picked him up. He and Z would split minutes with Joel Anthony pickin up garbage time

nuggetsyankees
08-24-2010, 02:52 PM
nuggets will look at him fo sho

Hawkeye15
08-24-2010, 02:54 PM
I would guess he is already checking rates for a moving truck to Miami

Chronz
08-24-2010, 02:54 PM
What does this say about MJ and his skills as a suit? On the other end, this is exactly the kind of dump Miami has been hoping for. Damp isnt all that great but on a team lacking bigs hes Bill Walton.

beasted86
08-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Someone will offer more then vet min. Thats all Miami could offer so I dont see him here.

He can take the minimum and start in Miami for a contender, or he can go take more than minimum to come off the bench for a non-contender.

It's his choice. No contender is going to sign him for more the minimum though. I'd take that bet.

RCarlson85
08-24-2010, 03:06 PM

You don't think Damp is better than Big Z or Magloire? I personally think he would be a solid backup for the Heat, if he was willing to play for the minimum.

RCarlson85
08-24-2010, 03:08 PM
He can take the minimum and start in Miami for a contender, or he can go take more than minimum to come off the bench for a non-contender.

It's his choice. No contender is going to sign him for more the minimum though. I'd take that bet.

Do you think he would start over Anthony? I'm not sure if he would or not. Either way, he would get a lot of playing time. I would rather have him play than Big Z.

RCarlson85
08-24-2010, 03:13 PM
He would start at center in Miami if they picked him up. He and Z would split minutes with Joel Anthony pickin up garbage time

Hell no, you don't even know what you're talking about. I'm not sure Damp would even start over Anthony. Z is sure as hell not getting more minutes than Anthony. Anthony is currently slated to be the starter with Z coming off the bench.

beasted86
08-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Do you think he would start over Anthony? I'm not sure if he would or not. Either way, he would get a lot of playing time. I would rather have him play than Big Z.

I'm not sure to tell the truth. But I would rather Dampier starts if the Heat sign him.

They are both about equal defensively, but Dampier is a much better rebounder, and on total offense (scoring, FG%, ball handling). Damp is also 6'11 270, while Anthony is a little undersized.

black1605
08-24-2010, 03:20 PM

Kwame Brown is Tyson Chandler for ten percent of the salary. Horrible offense, no hands, some rebounding, some defense. We lost an average point guard, and Tyson Chandler...and now we are in the lottery? Nazr and Theo both started more games than Tyson.

Eagles4Lyfe
08-24-2010, 03:24 PM
i hpe raps sign him

RCarlson85
08-24-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm not sure to tell the truth. But I would rather Dampier starts if the Heat sign him.

They are both about equal defensively, but Dampier is a much better rebounder, and on total offense (scoring, FG%, ball handling). Damp is also 6'11 270, while Anthony is a little undersized.

Either way, I think they would probably see pretty equal playing time. I like the idea of that alot more than Anthony starting and Z and Magloire getting the rest.

arkanian215
08-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Dampier to the Hawks!

Antipod
08-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Where will he go?? Depends on what salary he wants/may get... is he ok with a vet min or what a half/full MLE?

BOSTON617
08-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Probably Miami, San Antonio, Los Angeles, or Orlando.

:facepalm:

toronto.... golden state.... nuggets ..... or hawks

Mavrix
08-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Hell no, you don't even know what you're talking about. I'm not sure Damp would even start over Anthony. Z is sure as hell not getting more minutes than Anthony. Anthony is currently slated to be the starter with Z coming off the bench.

Anthony is garbage. Both Z and Dampier have finals experience and know what they're doing.

Mavrix
08-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Kwame Brown is Tyson Chandler for ten percent of the salary. Horrible offense, no hands, some rebounding, some defense. We lost an average point guard, and Tyson Chandler...and now we are in the lottery? Nazr and Theo both started more games than Tyson.

Did you just compare Kwame Brown to Tyson Chandler? :facepalm:

That's like comparing Dirk to Zach Randolph

beasted86
08-24-2010, 03:54 PM

You overrate Chandler.

All the problems Kwame has, Chandler has as well, just not as badly. That trade for Okafor blew up in the Bobcats face last season, because he did nothing.

Wade_County
08-24-2010, 04:00 PM

Heres the thing. His contract was none guaranteed so I could see him taking more money somewhere else.

black1605
08-24-2010, 04:17 PM

Chandler's Per 36 last year: 10 and 10 over 51 games. (Will make 12.75 million dollars next season.)

Browns Per 36 last year: 9 and 10 over 48 games. (Will make 1.3 million dollars next season.)

black1605
08-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Meanwhile, Bobcats GM Rod Higgins says they'll try to trade Dampier next month.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/wires/08/24/2030.ap.bkn.bobcats.kwame.brown.0138/

In other words, the Bobcats are waiting until the restriction ends which prohibits the them from trading Dampier along with other players.

The plot thickens.

RCarlson85
08-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Anthony is garbage. Both Z and Dampier have finals experience and know what they're doing.

Yeah right. Anthony is a defensive stud. He is a far better defender than Z and will be able to play uptempo like the Heat will want to. Dampier may be a little bigger than Anthony, but Anthony is still a better shot blocker and not injury prone like Damp.

MrfadeawayJB
08-24-2010, 08:31 PM
I think Dampier will go to miami for vet min, then miami can tell him they have mle next year...but we all know the heat wont pay him that much next year....probably tyson chandler for the mle next season

DerekRE_3
08-24-2010, 09:00 PM
What does this say about MJ and his skills as a suit? On the other end, this is exactly the kind of dump Miami has been hoping for. Damp isnt all that great but on a team lacking bigs hes Bill Walton.

Well the Bobcats had one of the biggest increases in season ticket sales this offseason. Also, the whole MJ still calls the shots as a GM thing hasn't been true for awhile now. Larry Brown and Rod Higgins make most of the decisions aka Larry Brown makes a lot of the decisions. Losing Chandler to basically save money doesn't hurt the team much since Chandler barely played last year anyways. Nazr was our starting center, and then Theo Ratliff started once Nazr hurt his back. I think that shows what Brown thought of Chandler.

justinnum1
08-24-2010, 09:03 PM
If he takes the min, miami will offer it to him so...

nanablvd
08-24-2010, 09:19 PM
I bet the Spurs or the Nuggets will sign him. Miami is highly possible but they have more immeidiate need in guard positions than center.

godolphins
08-24-2010, 09:29 PM
If he wants to win a championship he'll go to Miami.

Brooklyn Mets
08-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Oklahoma or San Antonio

Hype
08-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Dampier on Miami might work but he's a poser, total waste of space and he's had ONE good year in his entire career, which just happened to be his contract year. Congrats, you helped ruin the NBA Dampier.

Mavrix
08-24-2010, 09:58 PM
You overrate Chandler.

All the problems Kwame has, Chandler has as well, just not as badly. That trade for Okafor blew up in the Bobcats face last season, because he did nothing.

He did nothing because he was injured and hasn't been healthy since the 2008 playoffs.

You obviously haven't been watching him play for team USA

Mavrix
08-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Chandler's Per 36 last year: 10 and 10 over 51 games. (Will make 12.75 million dollars next season.)

Browns Per 36 last year: 9 and 10 over 48 games. (Will make 1.3 million dollars next season.)

Read my above post.

RCarlson85
08-24-2010, 10:00 PM
I bet the Spurs or the Nuggets will sign him. Miami is highly possible but they have more immeidiate need in guard positions than center.

I don't think the PG position is as big of an issue as some might think. I say that because both Lebron and Wade can play the point and will bring the ball up a lot even if they aren't technically the PG. I think the Heat need more size and that's what Damp would provide.

leoncito
08-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Orlando could use him if we ever get a trade done for Gortat. Please Otis do something

black1605
08-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Read my above post.

And now he is assured to be 100% healthy. Gotcha. Thanks for pointing that out.

My main point is for 10% of the salary, Kwame Brown provides a similar skill set.

godolphins
08-24-2010, 10:52 PM
If he gets waive I believe that Riley can get him to sign with Miami. Dampier already made a boat load of money in his carrer so getting only the veteran minimum wouldn't be that big of a deal.

NBA-GMaster
08-25-2010, 01:21 AM
Trade Dampier and Carroll for Calderon and Evans..

JordansBulls
08-25-2010, 08:22 AM

Not a bad deal.

alencp3
08-25-2010, 09:23 AM
The only hope for Bobcats now is Tyrus and Livingston to have a breakout year

king4day
08-25-2010, 09:29 AM
So you think Dampier being released will cause us to be a lottery team? We just signed Brown and still have Diop to play behind Nazr at C.

Nah I'm talking about the fact that Charlotte is now shakey at PG and center. Damp wouldn't be the reason Charlotte makes the playoffs, but my point was, That's a good 10mil trading chip to bring in someone who could help that a rebuilding team won't want. Someone who otherwise wouldn't come to Charlotte in free agency.
This is a money saving move.

Brown is a better fit than Dampier in terms of playing. He has been more healthy too.
I think the season will ride on Livingston. If a PG on Charlotte doesn't stand out this year, they don't have enough to get back.

king4day
08-25-2010, 09:30 AM
what are u talking about ??

Which part?

king4day
08-25-2010, 09:38 AM
You overrate Chandler.

That trade was to save money. So technically it really didn't hurt them in terms of expectations.
Why they didn't let him expire after this year though; that's beyond me. THey take on Damps contract just to cut him and save a few this year. All the while, they take on 2 bad contracts that'll stunt them in signing any free agents in the future.

The Jordan ownership era is off to a bad start. How do you expect to get fans to show up if they aren't sure where this team is headed. Either blow it all up and rebuild, or make smarter decisions. This wasn't one of them.

thekmp211
08-25-2010, 10:10 AM
he'd be a perfect guy for miami to throw out there for 20 minutes a night. big body, can defend when he feels like it (admittedly, that isn't often).

not sure what he would yield in a trade, though.

king4day
08-25-2010, 10:29 AM
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)—The Charlotte Bobcats thought the answer to their depth problems at center was to waive Erick Dampier(notes) to clear salary-cap space and then re-sign him for less money.
When Dampier wouldn’t agree to a new contract, the Bobcats looked at the next-best option. It just so happened to be Kwame Brown(notes), considered Bobcats owner Michael Jordan’s worst move as an executive.

Jordan signed off anyway, and now they’re reunited—nine years after Jordan’s much-criticized decision to draft Brown No. 1 overall when he was running the Washington Wizards.

Charlotte’s strange offseason continued Tuesday when Brown signed a one-year, $1.3 million deal, then met the media wearing shorts with Jordan’s Jumpman logo on the side.

“We’re always going to be linked, so why not come here, right?” Brown said, smiling.

Meanwhile, Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins says they’ll try to trade Dampier—and his $13 million non-guaranteed contract—after Sept. 13 when he can be included in multiplayer deals.

“It’s going to take a while,” Higgins said. “Now that we’ve got another center, waiving him for the sake of waiving him doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for us. We’re going to continue to talk to teams to try to improve our roster.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhiKsHdeyZ94CZZkFSQB0QW8vLYF?slug=ap-bobcats-kwamebrown

This makes the most sense. Appears they were looking to waive him so they could resign him on the cheap.
Since he was unwilling, that makes me think he's not going to accept the vet min anywhere (or just not in Charlotte).

spreadeagle
08-25-2010, 11:34 AM

CO SIGN:clap:

black1605
08-25-2010, 11:40 AM
I think our goal would be to send out one more player than we get back to get us down to 15 roster spots.

As for Calderon, keep his bad hamstring and worse contract out of Charlotte unless Toronto is willing to take Diop and Carrol while they're at it.

bigsams50
08-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Good thing we're trying to trade him. Expirings are always worth something

beasted86
08-25-2010, 12:05 PM
That trade was to save money. So technically it really didn't hurt them in terms of expectations.
Why they didn't let him expire after this year though; that's beyond me. THey take on Damps contract just to cut him and save a few this year. All the while, they take on 2 bad contracts that'll stunt them in signing any free agents in the future.

The Jordan ownership era is off to a bad start. How do you expect to get fans to show up if they aren't sure where this team is headed. Either blow it all up and rebuild, or make smarter decisions. This wasn't one of them.

Because he sucked. Chandler sucked last year outside of the injuries. I think that's what some people are failing to understand.

Chandler was perfectly healthy and Nazr Mohammed & Theo Ratliff were still starting over him. People need to understand this. He sucked for the $13M they were costing him, and the luxury tax his contract would have caused this season.

beasted86
08-25-2010, 12:13 PM
I know some fans aren't going to want to believe this, and even will buy into that quote above by Rod Higgins, but I can guarantee you Dampier will get waived for nothing.

Again this is one more indication the Bobcats will eventually waive Erick Dampier's contract to off-load about $13 million in salary responsibility. Sorry if that ticks some of you off (I know you want Dampier to be a trade chip), and they certainly gave up an asset in Tyson Chandler.

However, it's no surprise. The day Michael Jordan was formally introduced as majority owner he predicted they'd have to make a trade that wouldn't be good basketball-wise, but would have to be done, payroll-management wise. This was that deal.

They haven't waived Dampier yet because he hasn't cost them anything. But barring a miraculous deal that both solves their luxury-tax problems and improves their roster, Dampier seems destined to be waived.

They wouldn't continue to sign complementary free agents unless they intended to dump that big contract. You don't need an economics degree to figure that.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_the_nba/2010/08/dont-confuse-this-signing-with-a-doover.html

Unless the Bobcats can trade a $13M contract, and magically recieve only a $6M contract in return.... there's no chance Jordan pays the luxury tax for a non-contender borderline playoff team.

masalex1205
08-25-2010, 12:13 PM
I think our goal would be to send out one more player than we get back to get us down to 15 roster spots.

As for Calderon, keep his bad hamstring and worse contract out of Charlotte unless Toronto is willing to take Diop and Carrol while they're at it.

+1 I want Calderon nowhere near Charlotte.

Because he sucked. Chandler sucked last year outside of the injuries. I think that's what some people are failing to understand.

Chandler was perfectly healthy and Nazr Mohammed & Theo Ratliff were still starting over him. People need to understand this. He sucked for the $13M they were costing him, and the luxury tax his contract would have caused this season.

THank you. What most people don't understand is that Tyson Chandler SUCKS

Eagles4Lyfe
08-25-2010, 12:25 PM
^^^^ isnt it time to update your sig he was right wasnt he:S

Heater4life
08-25-2010, 12:53 PM
This makes the most sense. Appears they were looking to waive him so they could resign him on the cheap.
Since he was unwilling, that makes me think he's not going to accept the vet min anywhere (or just not in Charlotte).

Unless teams try to dump salary ala 2010 offseason, i dont see them trading him. see him getting a buyout to avoid the luxury tax. probably by january/febuary. Hopefully the Heat can have a go at him. Never can have enough big bodies.

Sixerlover
08-25-2010, 02:25 PM
His DUST chip still should have some minimal value.

HowBoutDemBulls
08-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Why in the heck are all you saying he will go to Miami? That is stupid, they already have 4 centers on the roster plus Haslem and Juwan Howard. How many bigs do they need?

Rivera
08-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Why in the heck are all you saying he will go to Miami? That is stupid, they already have 4 centers on the roster plus Haslem and Juwan Howard. How many bigs do they need?

who the hell is the other center? and eric damp would get PT in MIA and actually be a nice Center for that team

Z is a liability on D
Joel Anthony is a liability on O
Jammall Maglore is a liability period
(insert 4th centers name here)

MIA biggest weakness C

IndyRealist
08-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Unless teams try to dump salary ala 2010 offseason, i dont see them trading him. see him getting a buyout to avoid the luxury tax. probably by january/febuary. Hopefully the Heat can have a go at him. Never can have enough big bodies.

If waive him now, they don't have to pay him at all. Why buy him out in Jan/Feb? If they don't trade him to someone else looking to dump salary, he WILL be waived before the start of the season.

lavilevi23
08-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Well I hope he gets waived and then signed by the Heat. He could really help us...

Kakaroach
08-25-2010, 04:39 PM
He most likely will get waived unless the Bobcats feel a player is good enough for them to give out 13 million. He will get waived and then sign with a contender.

JordansBulls
08-25-2010, 05:56 PM

The Bulls need another big to battle with Orlando and Boston. If Noah is in foul trouble, all we have is Kurt Thomas for the bigs those teams have.

black1605
08-25-2010, 07:17 PM
He most likely will get waived unless the Bobcats feel a player is good enough for them to give out 13 million. He will get waived and then sign with a contender.

They are waiting until September 13 so they can trade him along with other players. Then the team that gets him, will waive him.

godolphins
08-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Trading him makes more since

Supreme LA
08-25-2010, 10:31 PM

Miami could certainly use another big body to bang inside with a lot of other bigs. He is not a very good basketball player but he is still serviceable. No homo.

dwadefan03
08-25-2010, 10:56 PM
who the hell is the other center? and eric damp would get PT in MIA and actually be a nice Center for that team

Z is a liability on D
Joel Anthony is a liability on O
Jammall Maglore is a liability period
(insert 4th centers name here)

MIA biggest weakness C

dexter pittman