PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo: Doc Rivers reminds us the Lakers have never really beat Boston

iggypop123
08-23-2010, 10:21 PM
According to Doc River's reasoning they are... well he only suggests the lakers title is tainted but if we go with his reasoning this also should include the celtics. The Celtics have never beaten the lakers starting 5. :) heck 6 games of no bynum>>>1.2 games of no perkins.

"They still have not beaten our starting five. Our starting five against the Lakers starting five has a ring. Tell him don't forget that. We will be back strong and Perk (Kendrick Perkins(notes)) will be there next year if there's a game seven."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Doc-Rivers-reminds-us-the-Lakers-have-never-real?urn=nba-264599

Jewelz0376
08-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Yea whatever he needs to say to keep himself feel better about the lakers being back to back champs I guess... He's forgetting than Bynum was out the first time they played, and had a torn ligament in his knee this past finals...

Besides he should be worrying about the Heat and getting out of the East more than he should LA...because they won't even make it to the finals next season...

Avenged
08-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Poor Doc is acting like if they have beaten our starting 5.

J4KOP99
08-23-2010, 10:26 PM
Doc Rivers>Red Auerbach

J4KOP99
08-23-2010, 10:26 PM
He's a true visionary of his craft.

Tony_Starks
08-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Sure thing Doc! If he wants another chance at the thrown he knows his way to the Staple Center, because thats for damn sure will the finals will be this season.

xbrackattackx
08-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Double Standards?

ink
08-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Since Doc never used the word "tainted", I changed the title to the title in the article. This is a typical example of not needing to fan the flames and start squabbling in here. Let's have some good posts in this thread if you're going to post in here.

Does Doc actually have a point? Have the Lakers ever really beaten the Celtics starting 5?

king4day
08-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Neither team has beaten the other healthy. Celtics fans know they were fortunate to not have to go against Bynum 3 years ago and Lakers fans know they were fortunate Perkins didn't play in game 7.
Doc should not have said anything. Let's not make this thread a short lived one.

Vincent33
08-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Yeah, sorry Doc but LA did beat Boston. That's why they had a parade after the series and Boston went home with nothing. Boston and LA will be meeting in the rubber match in the 2011 Finals. It will be settled then.

Avenged
08-23-2010, 10:36 PM
No one was "fortunate" in my opinion.

No reason to believe the Celtics would have won with Perkins considering they both had the same amounts of wins in the series and the game was in Los Angeles.

A couple years ago, same can be said for the Celtics, they were simply the better team.

With all of that said though, we didn't have Bynum at all and they didn't have Perks for 1 game.

When did he come out and say this btw? Because it certainly isn't the correct time to say it. He's a little too late.

dewikwoseisbeta
08-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Good for him, he is about to enter a decade of irrelevance thanks to Miami.

soundjunkies2
08-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Has Boston ever beaten the Lakers starting 5?

td0tsfinest
08-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Double Standards?

Yup pretty much. Lets just call it even.

ElMarroAfamado
08-23-2010, 10:47 PM
and amidst this crying.... the Lakes have only won back to back titles...stop them and then try to talk ****

Hellcrooner
08-23-2010, 10:48 PM
Hey doc we wer down Ariza and Bynum for the ENTIRE series.

You were down perkins ONE GaME ( that could have never have happende if reps didnt allow your dudes to stab in the back, shoutgun, hang, etc Pau in your garden)

showtym24
08-23-2010, 10:52 PM
They've never beat us with ron and bynum, or bynum and ariza for that matter. He's still hurting.

Hustlenomics
08-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Have the Lakers ever really beaten the Celtics starting 5?

no.

Ovratd1up
08-23-2010, 10:54 PM
To be honest, I think that if both Bynum and Perkins played through both series', Boston would have two rings.
I think they have been the best team in the league for three years, ever since they Acquired KG and Ray.

RaiderLakersA's
08-24-2010, 12:55 AM
Doc has been saying that, or some variation of that, since the playoffs last year: the Celtics starting 5 have never lost in the Finals.

It's a good selling point, but has holes, as many of you have already pointed out.

I would also suggest to Doc, who knows better as a former player, that basketball is a team effort which requires more than the first 5 in order to be a success. By saying that his starting 5 have never lost, he is saying that the C's bench has. Blow that horn too frequently and he will alienate his roster. Even 2nd string players can have 1st string egos.

Storch
08-24-2010, 12:59 AM
He's just mad someone took their money from that hiding spot they had.

lakers4sho
08-24-2010, 12:59 AM

You were down perkins ONE GaME ( that could have never have happende if reps didnt allow your dudes to stab in the back, shoutgun, hang, etc Pau in your garden)

The crewnar speaking some TRUTH :clap:

VinceCarter
08-24-2010, 01:03 AM
According to Doc River's reasoning they are... well he only suggests the lakers title is tainted but if we go with his reasoning this also should include the celtics. The Celtics have never beaten the lakers starting 5. :) heck 6 games of no bynum>>>1.2 games of no perkins.

"They still have not beaten our starting five. Our starting five against the Lakers starting five has a ring. Tell him don't forget that. We will be back strong and Perk (Kendrick Perkins(notes)) will be there next year if there's a game seven."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Doc-Rivers-reminds-us-the-Lakers-have-never-real?urn=nba-264599

:laugh::laugh2::laugh:

Perkins?! Really because you didn't have that *****. I'm gonna laugh when he comes back and they're starting that baby over O'Neal and even Shaq.

SouthSideRookie
08-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Guys if you really think about it, had Perkins not gotten injured we could possibly be talking about the Celtics being champs two of the last three years, he does have a point but also there's alot of ifs and he should not have said what he said because the Lakers have also not been one hundred percent. btw I think Doc could of also possibly cost the Celtics game 7 when he decided to sit Rondo beginning the fourth and prefered to go with Nate, colossal mistake that gets overlooked imo.

Ovratd1up
08-24-2010, 01:09 AM
Doc has been saying that, or some variation of that, since the playoffs last year: the Celtics starting 5 have never lost in the Finals.

It's a good selling point, but has holes, as many of you have already pointed out.

I would also suggest to Doc, who knows better as a former player, that basketball is a team effort which requires more than the first 5 in order to be a success. By saying that his starting 5 have never lost, he is saying that the C's bench has. Blow that horn too frequently and he will alienate his roster. Even 2nd string players can have 1st string egos.

:laugh::laugh2::laugh:

Perkins?! Really because you didn't have that *****. I'm gonna laugh when he comes back and they're starting that baby over O'Neal and even Shaq.

Perkins is almost as if not just as important as the Big 4.

Do you know how the Celtics win? Offensive chemistry, and interior defense. And Perkins is one of the best defensive bigs in the league. Sorry if it's unpopular :(

VinceCarter
08-24-2010, 01:09 AM
To be honest, I think that if both Bynum and Perkins played through both series', Boston would have two rings.
I think they have been the best team in the league for three years, ever since they Acquired KG and Ray.

Did you really just say Perkins is better than Bynum?! :facepalm:

Ovratd1up
08-24-2010, 01:14 AM
Did you really just say Perkins is better than Bynum?! :facepalm:

Nope. I'm saying that the Celtics were that much better in 07-08 that if Bynum and Ariza played, they still would have won, though it obviously would have been much closer. And last year, I think the Celtics would've won that game if Perkins played. They needed his rebounding, presence, and toughness.

Ovratd1up
08-24-2010, 01:15 AM
Some babies like me, others don't.

Wade>You
08-24-2010, 01:18 AM
this is the offseason of trash talking.

ink
08-24-2010, 01:28 AM
Perkins is almost as if not just as important as the Big 4.

Do you know how the Celtics win? Offensive chemistry, and interior defense. And Perkins is one of the best defensive bigs in the league. Sorry if it's unpopular :(

Good points.

Why can't people respond to a thread without defensiveness? This is an NBA coach talking. He is making a point about his roster, which he happens to believe in. For good reason. As you say, Perkins is one of the best defensive bigs in the league, so losing him was significant.

Someone explain, in rational terms, what is ridiculous or controversial about that?

Celtic AL
08-24-2010, 01:29 AM
:sigh: ok

ink
08-24-2010, 01:31 AM
ink can you close this thread

There is nothing wrong with the thread. Doc Rivers thinks his lineup is championship material. Any fair-minded NBA fan would realize that he's right. Doesn't take anything away from the Lakers. But for the last two years, significant injuries have been obstacles his team couldn't overcome. He's just making the point a coach who believes in his team (champs from 3 years ago) would make. And it's a legit point.

Please treat it that way so the thread can stay open.

Avenged
08-24-2010, 01:32 AM
Good points.

Why can't people respond to a thread without defensiveness? This is an NBA coach talking. He is making a point about his roster, which he happens to believe in. For good reason. As you say, Perkins is one of the best defensive bigs in the league, so losing him was significant.

Someone explain, in rational terms, what is ridiculous or controversial about that?

Because what he's doing is complaining that they didn't have Perkins, which is the reason they lost.

Sure it was a big loss to them, but the Lakers were also down a big man a couple of years ago when they beat them. And the thing is, it was for an entire series, not just 1 game.

I also like the Lakers chances on beating the Celtics with Perkins @ the Staples Center.

This is pretty much a "what if" thread where no answer is wrong.

ink
08-24-2010, 01:35 AM
Because what he's doing is complaining that they didn't have Perkins, which is the reason they lost.

Sure it was a big loss to them, but the Lakers were also down a big man a couple of years ago when they beat them. And the thing is, it was for an entire series, not just 1 game.

I also like the Lakers chances on beating the Celtics with Perkins @ the Staples Center.

True enough. It was a great series. Incredibly competitive. And I remember thinking that the Celtics had a very good chance of winning. Like I said, that doesn't take anything away from the champions. They won the series. But it doesn't hurt to see things from the other side -- even if they are arch-enemies -- to understand what is being said.

I really thought the Celtics might win the championship this year. Losing Perkins was HUGE. As good as Sheed was a few years ago, he was no replacement for an under-rated defensive anchor like Perkins.

Rego247
Good points.

i guess it can be interpreted as rivers tryin to take away from the lakers win. while ur right he didnt come out and say lakers didnt deserve to be champs, its kind of an indirect way of sending them a message. not sayin that was his intention.

tredigs
Good points.

Nothing. But the statement comes with an air of arrogance + ignorance being that they have also not beaten a 100% Lakers squad. So it's only natural for the Laker fanbase to respond with insults to a comment like that. This is definitely one sense where I completely don't blame them for having knee-jerk reactions to Doc + the Celtics, he is all but begging for it (this is the real-life equivalent of trolling). Try to cheapen my teams championship over you after it's all said and done? Yes, I will blast you.

Beyond that, they were up what, 13 points(?) in the 3rd quarter of game 7? They had every opportunity to win that series sans Perkins, and they should have been able to close it out with that lead - Perkins or no Perkins.

PraiseJesus
08-24-2010, 01:37 AM
I actually agree with Doc here.

Everyone is overlooking Boston especially Miami in the East.

Now that Boston has added Shaq and J Oneal they look just plain scary

Ovratd1up
08-24-2010, 01:38 AM
Their lead would have been huge with Perkins with all the offensive boards LA got.

tredigs
08-24-2010, 01:40 AM
Their lead would have been huge with Perkins with all the offensive boards LA got.

The game would have had an entirely different dynamic and there is no way to know how it would have played out - you know this.

SouthSideRookie

As close as game 7 was where the Celts even lead late in the game he has a point. The year Boston won was a complete pounding, that series was not even close, so there's no way that one player would of given the Lakers a chance in that series.

ink
Nothing. But the statement comes with an air of arrogance + ignorance being that they have also not beaten a 100% Lakers squad. So it's only natural for the Laker fanbase to respond with insults to a comment like that. This is definitely one sense where I completely don't blame them for having knee-jerk reactions to Doc + the Celtics, he is all but begging for it (this is the real-life equivalent of trolling). Try to cheapen my teams championship over you after it's all said and done? Yes, I will blast you.

Beyond that, they were up what, 13 points(?) in the 3rd quarter of game 7? They had every opportunity to win that series sans Perkins, and they should have been able to close it out with that lead - Perkins or no Perkins.

Or maybe people just get too wrapped up in their own private online wars. He's a coach; they're his players; they have one championship to show for three very good years. I can see the frustration.

Not aimed at you tredigs: How about looking beyond the automatic reactions and pay attention to what he's saying. Let's drop the rest of the "outrage".

Wade>You
08-24-2010, 01:41 AM
I thought the Cs should've won it. They were on a tear in the playoffs and Rondo was playing like the Finals MVP.

ink
08-24-2010, 01:42 AM
I thought the Cs should've won it. They were on a tear in the playoffs and Rondo was playing like the Finals MVP.

I really thought they would win this year too by the way they came on in the post-season. Again, not taking anything away from the champs. But the Celtics were very very good, and it would NOT have been surprising if they were this year's champions.

Ovratd1up
08-24-2010, 01:44 AM
The game would have had an entirely different dynamic and there is no way to know how it would have played out - you know this.

Accepted. But Sheed's shell had to put forth his greatest effort to make the kind of impact that Perkins does on a daily basis.

tredigs
08-24-2010, 01:48 AM
Or maybe people just get too wrapped up in their own private online wars. He's a coach; they're his players; they have one championship to show for three very good years. I can see the frustration.

Not aimed at you tredigs: How about looking beyond the automatic reactions and pay attention to what he's saying. Let's drop the rest of the "outrage".

Being a Warriors fan, I have absolutely no personal outrage, just saying that I can completely empathize with Lakers fans who's initial reaction would be to call Doc out for being both ignorant and ironic with these comments.

That said, I 100% agree with what Doc is saying. But unfortunately, injuries are a very real part of the NBA and something that championship teams will have to either avoid or try to fight through to win. If that's not an option, then you have to hope that your team is deep enough to take the hit and still persevere (which judging by that double digit lead late in the game, they should have been able to do).

So in the end, it just comes off as unnecessary *****ing/complaining to me, regardless of the truth of the statement. The fact that he's never beaten a 100% healthy Lakers squad is just the icing on the cake of irony.

-They'll have the right type of roster to take out the Heat in the playoffs this year (might be the only East team that does), so he'll get his chance.

smith&wesson
08-24-2010, 01:50 AM
Doc Rivers>Red Auerbach

thats a joke right >??

GoatMilk
08-24-2010, 01:51 AM
im guessing Doc regretted saying that after he realized what he said

he knows he's never beaten a healthy Lakers

heat of the moment quote i guess

PraiseJesus
08-24-2010, 01:51 AM
Phil Jackson> Red A

Ovratd1up
08-24-2010, 01:56 AM
im guessing Doc regretted saying that after he realized what he said

he knows he's never beaten a healthy Lakers

heat of the moment quote i guess

Heat of the moment? :checks date: Maybe if he's on vacation.

Super.
08-24-2010, 01:59 AM
Nether team has beaten the other's healthy starting five

John Walls Era
08-24-2010, 02:08 AM
Technicalities a 2 way street.

_KB24_
08-24-2010, 02:09 AM
Would love for Phil to retaliate with a comment :D

Too bad he's boning the boss's daughter in Montana! :cool:

GspLAL
08-24-2010, 02:17 AM
Good points.

Because the same exact thing could be said about Lakers a couple years ago. It's just mutual respect you don't down play your opponents championship, it's fine to think it but you don't come out and say it.

cubs0707
08-24-2010, 02:19 AM

he wont be around for another decade

69centers
08-24-2010, 02:35 AM

Yup, in the 2007-2008 Finals. Your 5 main starters throughout the year, Radmonovic, Fisher, Odom, Gasol, and Bryant were the 5 main guys in the playoffs.

Bynum only started 25 of his 35 regular season games = not a full time starter when you only start 70% of your games.

Ariza only started 3 of the 24 games he played as a Laker = nowhere near a regular starter.

Your 5 guys who logged the most regular season minutes (i.e. your 5 starters) were also your 5 starters in the playoffs, and we beat you, fair and square.

You can't cry over guys who were only with you in the regular season for only 49 combined games out of 82 games. And you're trying to compare it to the loss of a 100%, full time, all season starter?? Not a valid argument at all.

They've never beat us with ron and bynum, or bynum and ariza for that matter. He's still hurting.

Nether team has beaten the other's healthy starting five

Perkins started 100% of his games in the 2009-2010 season (78 of 78), and the Finals was tied at 3-3 going into game 7. In game 7, we did not have our full time starting center.

Doc is 100% correct in stating that we beat your starting 5 in 07/08, and you did not beat ours in 09/10.

mbarajas138
08-24-2010, 02:46 AM
:facepalm:

IDB Josh M
08-24-2010, 03:06 AM
And as KG himself said after the Lakers beat them on the xmas game in 2008 ...

"We're still the champs baby!"

Seriously, cry me a river Doc Rivers; and all the Boston fans and Laker haters who agree with him. So what? The Lakers can say the same thing about the 07/08 playoff series. Either way, excuses are just excuses, what ifs are what ifs, and none of it changes how history is made. don't like the outcome? Stay healthy and don't *****. Especially you Doc Rivers.

You know what else sucks? If Len Bias didn't OD, then Boston wouldnt have been irrelevant during the Jordan years. But he died.

Antipod
08-24-2010, 03:07 AM
Sore looser ? :D

KB24PG16
08-24-2010, 03:08 AM
his head is so shinny

Enemey
08-24-2010, 03:27 AM
Lakers still beat the Celtics with an injured Kobe, Bynum, and Odom.

nanablvd
08-24-2010, 03:59 AM
As much as we hate to hear Doc's statement, he actually has his point. In the most important game of the year, the Celtics with Perk playing game 7 would have made it much tougher for the Lakers to deal with, especially to come from behind. As fans of the champion team which is all said and done, we should give the Celtics the respect they deserve even though we hate them so much, coz they are really a championship caliber team this past year.

J-Relo
08-24-2010, 04:04 AM
Lakers did beat the Celtics.

And i DON'T CARE how it happened.

Bruno
08-24-2010, 04:06 AM
Old news.

Bynum didn't even play in the 2008 NBA finals and Ariza was coming off serious injury. It goes both ways.

junion
08-24-2010, 04:10 AM
you can throw in your if's, and's, and but's... but bottom line

2008: Celtics
2009: Lakers
2010: Lakers

"injuries are part of the game", etc. happens to everyone.

silvio
08-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Yeah, sorry Doc but LA did beat Boston. That's why they had a parade after the series and Boston went home with nothing. Boston and LA will be meeting in the rubber match in the 2011 Finals. It will be settled then.

Boston on the finals again? :facepalm:

If Doc wants to go again to LA for the finals he should join Miami - I heard they are hiring a Gatorade boy.

silvio
08-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Perkins started 100% of his games in the 2009-2010 season (78 of 78), and the Finals was tied at 3-3 going into game 7. In game 7, we did not have our full time starting center.

Doc is 100% correct in stating that we beat your starting 5 in 07/08, and you did not beat ours in 09/10.[/QUOTE]

Do you really believe that? It doesn't matter what you believe. Boston lost, Lakers are the champions. Cry me a river about what Perkins could have done - the bottom line: 2nd place is for the loosers. And Doc shows that he is a sour looser with his comment.

Khalifa21
08-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Does it really matter? The Lakers have their championship banners and the C's have theirs.

Injuries are a part of basketball you have to deal with. You can't use hindsight when talking about injuries to players and what would've happened if so-and-so was fit.

Teeboy1487
08-24-2010, 09:55 AM
I have zero respect for this man. The biggest sore loser in nba history.

OA SLAY
08-24-2010, 10:02 AM

This is true but who cares whats done is done

Avenged
08-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Yup, in the 2007-2008 Finals. Your 5 main starters throughout the year, Radmonovic, Fisher, Odom, Gasol, and Bryant were the 5 main guys in the playoffs.

Bynum only started 25 of his 35 regular season games = not a full time starter when you only start 70% of your games.

Ariza only started 3 of the 24 games he played as a Laker = nowhere near a regular starter.

Your 5 guys who logged the most regular season minutes (i.e. your 5 starters) were also your 5 starters in the playoffs, and we beat you, fair and square.

You can't cry over guys who were only with you in the regular season for only 49 combined games out of 82 games. And you're trying to compare it to the loss of a 100%, full time, all season starter?? Not a valid argument at all.

Doc is 100% correct in stating that we beat your starting 5 in 07/08, and you did not beat ours in 09/10.

Seriously, we were down 2 players basically. Bynum didn't play and Ariza broke his foot. Surprisingly enough he managed to "play" for the series but hurt the team more than helped.

Anyways, what you're saying makes no sense. Perkins played in every game in the series this past postseason but one. Is there really a need to complain over 1 game? You guys are making it seem like it was for a whole series.

I really don't see how you can even justify what Doc said. He's complaining over 1 game. And yes the Bynum comparison to Perkins is actually a good one considering Bynum is better than Perkins.

He's 100% correct the Lakers didn't beat the Celtics with their starting 5 (for one game I may add)

But he's also 100% complaining.

Lo Porto
08-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Don't forget that LA played with 6 in the 4th quarter of Game 7. The Lakers took more FT's in the 4th than Boston did the entire game. But is anybody shocked that LA has the refs on their side?

MTar786
08-24-2010, 11:54 AM
firstly, doc is an idiot

secondly, he's complaining about not having perkins when his team is OLD and was due for injury? its just ironic it was a young player.. everyone expected them to get injured

thirdly, how can he complain when the lakers in 08 had no ariza and bynum for the WHOLE series.. thats way worse then perkins whos like what? their 5th option on one of their many big bodies for 1 measly game?

forthly, if he's gonna complain about perkins being injured for one game im going to complain about kobe having to play with a bum knee AND finger the WHOLE series.. and bynum too with that bum knee of his

Purch
08-24-2010, 11:59 AM
http://images.memegenerator.net/philjackson/ImageMacro/2245332/Cool-Story-Doc.jpg

Gibby23
08-24-2010, 12:03 PM
The one hit wonder Celtics coach is still trying to live off the 2008 ring. Win more than one and then talk. lol..

69centers
08-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Seriously, we were down 2 players basically. Bynum didn't play and Ariza broke his foot. Surprisingly enough he managed to "play" for the series but hurt the team more than helped.

Anyways, what you're saying makes no sense. Perkins played in every game in the series this past postseason but one. Is there really a need to complain over 1 game? You guys are making it seem like it was for a whole series.

I really don't see how you can even justify what Doc said. He's complaining over 1 game. And yes the Bynum comparison to Perkins is actually a good one considering Bynum is better than Perkins.

He's 100% correct the Lakers didn't beat the Celtics with their starting 5 (for one game I may add)

But he's also 100% complaining.

The series was tied going into that one game, so in essence, that one game decided the champion. We were on the road with a lead and lost a ton of rebounds. Watching the replay of the game just yesterday on NBA TV, Big Baby didn't play well at all, and the tandem of Baby and Sheed at center was nowhere near as effective as the Perkins/Sheed combination would have been.

dewikwoseisbeta
08-24-2010, 12:25 PM
he wont be around for another decade

Which is why he'll be irrelevant.

Storch
08-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Guess what Doc, your unbeatable starting 5 barely managed to beat a Laker team without Kobe by one point last year. End of discussion.

8kobe24
08-24-2010, 12:54 PM
the Lakers were simply better than celtics this year. same can be said for the celtics back in 08 when they were the better team over the Lakers.

nasthemasta
08-24-2010, 12:59 PM
wasn't Scalabrine on the bench too??....this is an outrage how did they ever give the Lakers credit for winning a championship without going through kendrick perkins??? Doc rivers is a straight tool...i take that back, he's the entire shed!!!!!!!

DODGERS&LAKERS
08-24-2010, 01:09 PM
To be honest, the Lakers should be going for a fourth ring in a row. If Bynum and Ariza were healthy in 08, the Celtics wouldn't stand a chance.

Also, I don't know why Doc is compaining. Sheed played better than Perkins did all series. Perkins doesn't even grab boards. Sheed was their best offensive player in game 7. If Perkins played, the Celtics might not have scored 70 points.

RaiderLakersA's
08-24-2010, 01:22 PM
As much as I respect the Celtics organization for their championships...

...and as much as I actually like Doc as a player and now Coach...

... his comment is best kept behind closed doors, said to his team and not publicly. Whether he intends it or not, it's the kind of dual edged statement that seeks to taint the Lakers championship. Look no further than some of the replies in this thread.

The fact of the matter is being a championship winning team has never been about only 5 players. Doc is a ******* -- and I mean that in the best possible way -- for intimating otherwise.

JordansBulls
08-24-2010, 01:29 PM

No. But the Lakers starting 5 has changed each year.

JordansBulls
08-24-2010, 01:30 PM
The same could be said for the Rockets team in 2009, Spurs team in 2009, Celtics team in 2009, Magic team in 2009. All them were playing with actaul star players out of the lineup.

fresh prince
08-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Good points.

The fact that the very same coach is over looking that the same opponent (the Lakers in 2008) was missing their starting center (Andrew Bynum)who does the same defensive things for them yet is also a force on offense for the ENTIRE SERIES.

Not just one game....

Thats why Doc's statement is riddiculous.

If Phil Jackson said such a thing I would also say its riddiculous. Injuries are an unfortunate part of sports. But they should not be used to demean another teams accomplishement

Storch
08-24-2010, 01:49 PM
As much as I respect the Celtics organization for their championships...

...and as much as I actually like Doc as a player and now Coach...

... his comment is best kept behind closed doors, said to his team and not publicly. Whether he intends it or not, it's the kind of dual edged statement that seeks to taint the Lakers championship. Look no further than some of the replies in this thread.

The fact of the matter is being a championship winning team has never been about only 5 players. Doc is a ******* -- and I mean that in the best possible way -- for intimating otherwise.

Wasnt doc quoted in saying that its about 12 players in the team and to play together to win in almost every huddle? what a hypocrite.

dtmagnet
08-24-2010, 04:09 PM
What a joke, the games still count even if you have an injury.

Tony_Starks
08-24-2010, 04:42 PM
As a Laker fan I don't find anything disrespectful or wrong with what he said at all. He's right. As everyone has stated he's yet to beat a healthy Laker squad as well so there's two sides to that coin. Its all good.

I look at it more as a great coach looking to motivate and maintain the confidence of his team, and I applaud him for that. NOBODY outside of Boston had them in the finals when the playoffs started, but Doc always maintained "I like our team."

Give credit where its due, the guy is a great coach. Hopefully he gets another crack at it.

Kevj77
08-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Unfortunately injuries are part of sports and bench players always have to be ready to fill in and step up. As many have already pointed out Bynum didn't play and Ariza was very limited in the finals because he was just getting back from injury in 08. Bynum was expected back by the playoffs and was supposed to be the Lakers starting C.

It's also true that Sheed had a good game especially in the first half in game 7. He filled in well for Perk. It's sour grapes or most likely just motivation for his team like the blank championship banner they had before the start of last season. To bad that banner is still blank Doc and no amount of excuses can change that.

Raidaz4Life
08-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Okay because the Celtics problem that game was that they couldn't defend:rolleyes:

The Celtics couldn't score which is why they lost and Perkins would not have helped that at all. Its also funny to note that Rasheed got more blocks in that one game than Perkins got ALL SERIES 2>0. Sheed also got more boards that game than Perkins did in all but one game that series. I mean seriously there is absolutely no logic to doc's statement whatsoever.

TheTakeOver24
08-24-2010, 04:59 PM
I hate hearing excuses... It doesnt matter how u lost, just get over it and come back harder next time.

Kevj77
08-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Okay because the Celtics problem that game was that they couldn't defend:rolleyes:

The Celtics couldn't score which is why they lost and Perkins would not have helped that at all. Its also funny to note that Rasheed got more blocks in that one game than Perkins got ALL SERIES 2>0. Sheed also got more boards that game than Perkins did in all but one game that series. I mean seriously there is absolutely no logic to doc's statement whatsoever.Exactly I thought Sheed was the reason the Celtics got out to a early lead.

smiddy012
08-24-2010, 05:39 PM
If the Celtics were so great, they wouldnt have had the trouble with the late seeds theyve had.

Lil Rhody
08-24-2010, 06:00 PM
ALL I HAVE TO SAY TO EVERY LAKER FAN OUT THERE IS

See ya next year and good luck

smith&wesson
08-24-2010, 06:10 PM
soar loser.

as a head coach of any team in the league you should well be informed that each team has at least 12 players on the roster and teams are not made up of starting fives. Every one from coaching staff to player personel is apart of that TEAM!!

excuses are lame doc!! specially when your team is championship caliber and your making them look petti with your very dumb comments.

DoJoTheSlasher
08-24-2010, 06:15 PM

ECF Boston vs Miami, I would take Boston over Miami no matter who has home court advantage, and no, I am not mad.

GonRoo
08-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Phil Jackson can say the same thing about the Celtics.

Last time i checked the Celtics haven't beaten a healthy Lakers team either.

Caps1989
08-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Yeah the Lakers never beat them...except for the time that they did..

CLASSOF72
08-24-2010, 06:32 PM
As much as I would love the Lakers to put down the the three amigos of S.Beach next year I would prefer to get another chance to kick the c's can again, healthy or not who cares? Bring it Doc adding Shaq would just make it that much sweeter.

Celtic AL
08-24-2010, 06:37 PM
im so sick of people from LA or Laker fans trashing us!

bmd1101
08-24-2010, 06:40 PM

lol, Doc Rivers... Grasping for anything to stay away from the reality, how are those sour grapes doc.

TheGsw
08-24-2010, 06:49 PM
The same could be said for the Rockets team in 2009, Spurs team in 2009, Celtics team in 2009, Magic team in 2009. All them were playing with actaul star players out of the lineup.

IMO LA still would of beat Rockets if they had Yao, and they would of still beaten the Magic if they had Nelson.

Statik1
08-24-2010, 06:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ZjIEK.jpg

/thread

kswissdaf
08-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Im sorry but that is a punk move

smith&wesson
08-24-2010, 07:13 PM

BRO in a thread like this you have to expect it. no ones gonna come and say wow doc what great insight you have provided us when all he is doing is making excuses.

I got love for the celtics. they have deep history in the league. but psd is thread oriented and you have to comment on the thread topic at hand and in this case, doc deserves to be put down. he is making excuses. thats not what a championship caliber coach does.

CLASSOF72
08-24-2010, 07:23 PM

Then your going to have to pick another team, my family has been trash talking the c's and their fans since the sixties and it aint going to let up anytime soon. The flames of rivalry have been rekindled and your buddy Doc is now fanning the flames. Hopefuly LA can win the next couple of chips and take their rightful place atop the NBA most championships board, then watching LA win won't be so confusing for you c's fans or coaches.:cool:

Avenged
08-24-2010, 07:26 PM

Why? that's what makes a great rivalry in my opinion.

We can't stand you, you can't stand us.

Doesn't get any better than that.

CLASSOF72
08-24-2010, 07:34 PM

Exactly Lakers with no c's would be like ying with no yang, salt with no pepper, good and bad with no ugly. light with no darkness. The fact that the c's are competitive makes the Kobe erra that much more fun!

blacknell
08-24-2010, 07:41 PM
to bad what he says doesn't matter

basketfan4life
08-24-2010, 09:38 PM
considering how effective rasheed was on that game 7,i say the celts were lucky not to have him...

and also if someone is going to complain about injuries in 2 lakers-celtics finals,hell it is not doc rivers,not even close.

ink
08-24-2010, 11:41 PM
The fact that the very same coach is over looking that the same opponent (the Lakers in 2008) was missing their starting center (Andrew Bynum)who does the same defensive things for them yet is also a force on offense for the ENTIRE SERIES.

Not just one game....

Thats why Doc's statement is riddiculous.

If Phil Jackson said such a thing I would also say its riddiculous. Injuries are an unfortunate part of sports. But they should not be used to demean another teams accomplishement

I don't see how anyone is demeaning a team's accomplishment. The finals were very close last year.

And in 2007-2008 Bynum started 25 games the whole year, so they did not lose their starting centre in the playoffs like the Celtics did. Your comparison doesn't work.

I'm not a fan of either team, so please no nonsense about bias here. Doc has a point. Perhaps a little credit is due to the team that lost an extremely close series.

ink
08-24-2010, 11:42 PM

Actually the "we can't stand you, you can't stand us" school of thought is what has turned basketball into one of the stupidest pro sports. Too much lame trash talk about each other and not enough intelligent talk about basketball.

This thread is a pretty decent example of what I'm talking about. It was left open in the hope that people would talk about the topic. Instead, we have the usual cheap shots. Come on guys.

Hangtime
08-25-2010, 12:00 AM
What difference will any of this make if one of them or both are not healthy again should they meet in the finals. More excuses?

_KB24_
08-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Actually the "we can't stand you, you can't stand us" school of thought is what has turned basketball into one of the stupidest pro sports. Too much lame trash talk about each other and not enough intelligent talk about basketball.

This thread is a pretty decent example of what I'm talking about. It was left open in the hope that people would talk about the topic. Instead, we have the usual cheap shots. Come on guys.

But Doc is taking a so-called "cheap shot". Did you actually think their would not be any hostlities thrown around when something like this came up? And please, this is not only in basketball. Yanks-Sox, Leafs-Canadians, Duke-UNC, and Green Bay-Chicago all have the same frame of thought. Their fanbases will take any opportunity to respond when they are thrown the slightest jab by their rivals.

_KB24_
08-25-2010, 12:36 AM
I don't see how anyone is demeaning a team's accomplishment. The finals were very close last year.

And in 2007-2008 Bynum started 25 games the whole year, so they did not lose their starting centre in the playoffs like the Celtics did. Your comparison doesn't work.

I'm not a fan of either team, so please no nonsense about bias here. Doc has a point. Perhaps a little credit is due to the team that lost an extremely close series.

Yes it does. Bynum and Kwame WERE out starting centers, with Bynum cementing the job before he went down. When we played the Celtics on Christmas Day, Bynum WAS their starting. We did not have our starting center when going into the playoffs. Celtics fans complain about the rebounding difference and how Perkins would have made a huge difference, well Bynum was our defensive anchor in 08.

Avenged
08-25-2010, 12:42 AM

Well you're talking about a sports forum with rules and guidelines. It's not the same as in the real world, trash talking to a fan of a rival team occurs throughout the course of a season and off-season.

Maybe since you're a Raptors fan you really wouldn't know the significance of a true rivalry so you don't share the same opinion, but down in L.A the Boston Celtics are absolutely hated.

I mean this thread isn't that bad, if it was, you would see a lot of deleted posts and you would have eventually closed it if you really felt the way you say you do.

Avenged
08-25-2010, 12:48 AM
The series was tied going into that one game, so in essence, that one game decided the champion. We were on the road with a lead and lost a ton of rebounds. Watching the replay of the game just yesterday on NBA TV, Big Baby didn't play well at all, and the tandem of Baby and Sheed at center was nowhere near as effective as the Perkins/Sheed combination would have been.

Big Baby had himself a good series.

As I recall, he was out there "schooling" Lamar Odom.

You can't dismiss his play in order to justify losing Perkins.

Sheed also had himself a great game 7. Everyone was counting him out but he responded and delivered.

All of this is speculation, had Perkins played, maybe it would have hurt the team more then helped. Maybe Sheed wouldn't have showed up at all. I mean there's so many scenarios going on here but I know exactly how you feel. Us Laker fans felt the same way when Bynum and Ariza went down and didn't have them in the postseason against your team.

We got bashed left and right for making the same claims Boston fans are saying. Funny how karma goes around sometimes.

ink
08-25-2010, 01:25 AM
But Doc is taking a so-called "cheap shot". Did you actually think their would not be any hostlities thrown around when something like this came up? And please, this is not only in basketball. Yanks-Sox, Leafs-Canadians, Duke-UNC, and Green Bay-Chicago all have the same frame of thought. Their fanbases will take any opportunity to respond when they are thrown the slightest jab by their rivals.

He's not taking a cheap shot at all. He's pointing out a fact. Rather than just responding with homer comments defending the home team, this thread could have had some responses that actually thought about the topic. That's the problem with the basketball forums in general: too little basketball, too many homer comments. We can do better in here.

Yes it does. Bynum and Kwame WERE out starting centers, with Bynum cementing the job before he went down. When we played the Celtics on Christmas Day, Bynum WAS their starting. We did not have our starting center when going into the playoffs. Celtics fans complain about the rebounding difference and how Perkins would have made a huge difference, well Bynum was our defensive anchor in 08.

You might have wanted Bynum to be your starter but that doesn't make him the actual starter. There's a big difference.

Well you're talking about a sports forum with rules and guidelines. It's not the same as in the real world, trash talking to a fan of a rival team occurs throughout the course of a season and off-season.

Maybe since you're a Raptors fan you really wouldn't know the significance of a true rivalry so you don't share the same opinion, but down in L.A the Boston Celtics are absolutely hated.

I mean this thread isn't that bad, if it was, you would see a lot of deleted posts and you would have eventually closed it if you really felt the way you say you do.

As a TM your role here is to improve the quality of discussion on threads, not justify why the quality is so bad. And do you honestly believe that because I support an expansion team I don't understand what a rivalry is?? Do you think I have never cheered for a team that had a rival? How about if I told you that when I first started watching basketball as a kid I cheered the hell out of the Lakers and Magic to beat the Celtics? I thoroughly understand what a rivalry is. There are thousands in sport and I've experienced a few of them. How about the rivalry between Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson? Two superstars that I grew up watching. Do you think those weren't rivalries? In fact, BECAUSE I grew up watching those rivals, I understand that getting worked up about rivalries all the time is part of being a child, and not necessarily part of being a good sports fan. These basketball forums are ridiculed by the posters from other forums because they are so weak. They are weak because the level of discussion often struggles to get above discussion of so-called rivalries. We need to improve that together.

_KB24_
08-25-2010, 01:41 AM
You might have wanted Bynum to be your starter but that doesn't make him the actual starter. There's a big difference.

Pau started 27 games as our center, Bynum started 25, and Brown started 14 and the rest were spilt up between Turiaf and Mihm. Bynum WAS the starter when we were 1st in the Western Conference and our defensive anchor. I don't get how he wasn't our starting center? Just because Pau had to come in and play out of position doesn't mean Bynum wasn't our center.

Avenged
08-25-2010, 01:44 AM
As a TM your role here is to improve the quality of discussion on threads, not justify why the quality is so bad. And do you honestly believe that because I support an expansion team I don't understand what a rivalry is?? Do you think I have never cheered for a team that had a rival? How about if I told you that when I first started watching basketball as a kid I cheered the hell out of the Lakers and Magic to beat the Celtics? I thoroughly understand what a rivalry is. There are thousands in sport and I've experienced a few of them. How about the rivalry between Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson? Two superstars that I grew up watching. Do you think those weren't rivalries? In fact, BECAUSE I grew up watching those rivals, I understand that getting worked up about rivalries all the time is part of being a child, and not necessarily part of being a good sports fan. These basketball forums are ridiculed by the posters from other forums because they are so weak. They are weak because the level of discussion often struggles to get above discussion of so-called rivalries. We need to improve that together.

And that is exactly what I do. Never have I baited any Celtics fan in my stay here or any fan base specifically which is why I got the position in the first place (I assume). But since you understand a rivalry so well, you mean to tell me you don't ever "trash talk" in person? I mean life as a sports fan must be really boring that way. I understand if it's not done here in a forum because like I said, there's rules here, but outside it's something totally different that makes victory that much sweeter.

ink
08-25-2010, 01:44 AM
Pau started 27 games as our center, Bynum started 25, and Brown started 14 and the rest were spilt up between Turiaf and Mihm. Bynum WAS the starter when we were 1st in the Western Conference and our defensive anchor. I don't get how he wasn't our starting center? Just because Pau had to come in and play out of position doesn't mean Bynum wasn't our center.

You just described how Bynum was only the C for 25 games. You're re-enforcing my point. Obviously every Laker fan wants to have Bynum play C, but since he hadn't played that position for the majority of the season it wasn't like he went down with an injury during the playoff run. It's apples and oranges. Doc's point is that Perkins was lost to them for the DECIDING game when the series was within reach for them. There is a huge difference. He has a valid point. Try to see past your allegiance to your team.

ink
08-25-2010, 01:47 AM
And that is exactly what I do. Never have I baited any Celtics fan in my stay here or any fan base specifically which is why I got the position in the first place (I assume). But since you understand a rivalry so well, you mean to tell me you don't ever "trash talk" in person? I mean life as a sports fan must be really boring that way. I understand if it's not done here in a forum because like I said, there's rules here, but outside it's something totally different that makes victory that much sweeter.

Seriously I think trash talking is done by people who don't know what else to say. It's mostly immaturity. If a sports fan can't get something out of the SPORT itself they're obviously missing the point.

Avenged
08-25-2010, 01:53 AM
Seriously I think trash talking is done by people who don't know what else to say. It's mostly immaturity. If a sports fan can't get something out of the SPORT they're obviously missing the point.

We're going off-topic here but I guess it depends on what you classify as trash talk. I mean you can go at it as insulting others personally, or you can simply go at it by "bashing" their team. I mean, there's different ways to "trash talk".

The thing is, not every fan is humble and understanding. Some fans simply don't give a damn about other teams only their own which can classify as having "team spirit" but to others they may look like complete morons.

I guess you just have to distinguish it one way or another.

ink
08-25-2010, 01:57 AM
We're going off-topic here but I guess it depends on what you classify as trash talk. I mean you can go at it as insulting others personally, or you can simply go at it by "bashing" their team. I mean, there's different ways to "trash talk".

The thing is, not every fan is humble and understanding. Some fans simply don't give a damn about other teams only their own which can classify as having "team spirit" but to others they may look like complete morons.

I guess you just have to distinguish it one way or another.

You're right, we're going off topic. But the last thing I want to do in here is encourage trash talk. As a neutral fan i don't see anything so bad about what Doc said. He must be frustrated with an aging roster (not a dig) that they lost a key player and didn't convert the 3-3 series tie into a championship. I can easily see what he's saying and what has motivated his comment.

LA_Raiders
08-25-2010, 03:25 AM
Sore loser, Make the finals and we will be glad to beat you again...

LakerMantra
08-25-2010, 04:28 AM
Doc, put your money where your mouth is and respect the fact that you lost fair and square to the Lakers. Don't give excuses, eat the result ;-D

FadeAwayLikeMJ
08-25-2010, 09:22 AM
what do you want the guy to say?

"we cant beat the Lakers"

yeaaaaah oooooooooooooookay

KaneMarko
08-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Much respect goes to the Celtics and Doc Rivers. But I think his statement is flawed. Perkins is a very talented big man and very underrated by most accounts. But they came back to LA with a 3-2 lead only needing one to win the series. They still had 4 of their starting 5 plus Rasheed Wallace who played at a very high level the whole series. And they still had Big Baby and Robinson who basically won game 4 for them. Plus, it's not like the Lakers had their starting center at full strength as Bynum was playing basically on one leg.

On top of all that the Celtics had a something like a 13 point lead in game 7 with both Kobe and Pau struggling most of the game. The Celtics had every opportunity, even without Perkins, to win that series. They just did not capitalize and the Lakers made the plays they had to in order to win games 6 and 7.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a lifelong Laker fan. But looking at this objectively, Doc's statement is very flawed. Because as mentioned, even without Perkins, they still had many opportunties to win the series. They stole home court in game 2, had an injured Bynum playing limited minutes the entire series, came back to LA with a 3-2 lead, had Kobe and Gasol struggling in game 7, even had 13 point lead in game 7. I hate to use the word "choke" to describe a team as talented as the Celtics are. But they choked. Yeah, "technically" the Celtics have never lost a series with their starting 5 healthy. But it's not a fair statement to imply what he's implying. If that were the case, the Celtics have never beaten the Lakers at full strength either. The better team won in 2 years ago and the better team won this year. Plain and simple.

KnicksGuard
08-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Sounds like he has his excuse crafted for next year when he says "well Shaq is not our original five... yeah i know i played him but .... oh well i retire bye."

CLASSOF72
08-25-2010, 11:17 AM
You're right, we're going off topic. But the last thing I want to do in here is encourage trash talk. As a neutral fan i don't see anything so bad about what Doc said. He must be frustrated with an aging roster (not a dig) that they lost a key player and didn't convert the 3-3 series tie into a championship. I can easily see what he's saying and what has motivated his comment.

I see Docs comments as trash talking and nothing less. He couldn't Make such a comment if it didn't have some truth to it, but theres a lot of ommision in it too(like the fact that they didn't beat LA at full strength either). If the c's had been playing any other team in 08' do you think they would of kept their starters in the game high fiving as they ran the score up to +38 late in the fourth? Hell no they had an oppertunity to shame LA and they took it. Trash talking of any kind could never equate to the disrespect they showed us in 08.
Rivalries like the one between LA and the c's are rare in sports of any kind and are greatly relished by the fans involved. It goes all the way to the top of the org's. When Cooper presented the WCF trophie last year his statement included a line of trash talking aimed directly at the c's org.
After nearly 50 years of brutal defeats and glorious triumphs between these to teams it's like North vs South or the Hatfields and the Mcoys. The Avenged one is right as a Raps fan you'll probably never relate unless your a fan of Boston's Red Socks or the Yanks. Sorry you can't be a part of it exept to trash us for being involved which is not a new thing either. Oh and their is still some room on the LA and c's bandwagons if you'd like to give it a try or you could jump on Miami's just say your following your boy Bosh (it's almost legit)and hey maybe if they set up a dynasty in 50 years or so you could be part of a historical rivalry and do some trash talking yourself.

ballpd05
08-25-2010, 11:22 AM
All of this is just a bunch of what if. I think Kendrick would've helped since the Lakers stayed in the game on offensive rebounds in the first half, but you never know. I thought Bynum's injury opened the flood gates on Pau Gasol getting killed by KG back in 08.

Just settle on the court, injuries are part of the game.

ink
08-25-2010, 11:26 AM
I see Docs comments as trash talking and nothing less.

Well there's the problem right there. Don't look at it that way and you might see the clear, simple point he's making. What you're doing is impugning his motives.

Gibby23
08-25-2010, 11:31 AM

Doc said the same thing last year when KG was out the last 35 games of the regular season. He said his starting 5 hasn't lost a playoff series. So, your Bynum theory holds no weight because he was still our starting center and 4th best player on our team.

ink
08-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Doc said the same thing last year when KG was out the last 35 games of the regular season. He said his starting 5 hasn't lost a playoff series. So, your Bynum theory holds no weight because he was still our starting center and 4th best player on our team.

The Bynum theory is all yours. I'm responding to what Doc said without over-reacting or being a homer about it. That's all. I'm making a point about considering what people say, not whether they're your team's enemy. The NBA forum has been terrible this summer and we need to improve it. Starting with homerism.