PDA

View Full Version : Bautista well on his way to breaking Jays single season hr record?

jon32
08-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Seems like a no-brainer ....40 home runs as of tonite, George Bell currently holds the record in '87 with 47 homeruns. I see him getting 50 easy with the pace hes at and will break the team record for sure. Extension anyone?

JetLi
08-23-2010, 09:56 PM
I was just thinking the same thing.....intense game! Why can't be play Boston like we play NY?

StealingSigns
08-23-2010, 09:58 PM
I was just thinking the same thing.....intense game! Why can't be play Boston like we play NY?

Aye. :sad2:

Gibby
08-23-2010, 11:38 PM
we had a thread like this earlier, i said no because i thought league would make some adjustments and bautista may struggle. after watching tonights i would say bautista would definately break jays hr record and get to 50 hrs.

StealingSigns
08-24-2010, 12:02 AM
we had a thread like this earlier, i said no because i thought league would make some adjustments and bautista may struggle. after watching tonights i would say bautista would definately break jays hr record and get to 50 hrs.

It seems Bautista made the adjustment and the league has no answer for him.

McJoe
08-24-2010, 07:35 AM
I was just going to post the same thing. He is looking like he is going to EASILY break the record of 47 home runs. Hopefully he can maybe not repeat but at least not disappear next season.

One of my favourite parts about Bautista is his INCREDIBLE versatility. Right, Left, 3rd, 1st, DH. Cannon arm, decent speed, power bat. He brings a lot to the table.

GrumpyOldMan
08-24-2010, 08:05 AM
I would extend him. His defence is good in numerous positions, so even if he comes back down to earth a bit with the bat he is a good guy to have around. As stated in previous post his versatility makes him more valuable than the average player.

treeleaf
08-24-2010, 01:08 PM
At this point the Jays cant afford not to give him an extension.
There is no evidence that he will slow down, only skeptics who always question breakout seasons. If the jays loose bautista and he continues to provide...il move to Boston and buy some red socks

2009mvp
08-24-2010, 01:15 PM
At this point the Jays cant afford not to give him an extension.
There is no evidence that he will slow down, only skeptics who always question breakout seasons. If the jays loose bautista and he continues to provide...il move to Boston and buy some red socks

Like the ones who questioned the ability of Lind and Hill to replicate the stats they each put up last year? The Jays don't have to (and shouldn't) give him anything beyond whatever he's due in arbitration. Locking him up longterm at this point would be a mistake, and one I'm pretty confident AA won't make.

nithanyo
08-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Like the ones who questioned the ability of Lind and Hill to replicate the stats they each put up last year? The Jays don't have to (and shouldn't) give him anything beyond whatever he's due in arbitration. Locking him up longterm at this point would be a mistake, and one I'm pretty confident AA won't make.

How would locking up Bautista long term be a mistake. He has surprassed any blue jays homerun total in the last 7 years. When a player can hit 40 homeruns by mid august than he is most definetly deserving of a contract extension.

2009mvp
08-24-2010, 02:57 PM
^^Because baseball history is littered with guys who've done exactly that yet the next year find 15 or so of those home runs turning into flyball outs/foul balls (Why are we all pretending that the same thing didn't just happen to Hill?). The point is, there's no pressure on the Jays to lock him up NOW. You've got him under control for one more year, use that to your advantage. Don't give him a big money multi-year extension only to find out your stuck with a mediocre 30 year old when you could have simply taken the wait and see approach for 2011.