PDA

View Full Version : Coach K 'Rondo has earned his trust

Purch
08-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Not only was Rajon Rondo not in Team USA's starting lineup for Sunday's 86-85 exhibition win over Spain, but the Boston Celtics' playmaker didn't even play (coaches decision).

Not to worry, Celtic Nation.

The Green and White's lone Team USA participant is still on solid footing.

In addition to Rondo, Team USA also held out Indiana's Danny Granger and Minnesota's Kevin Love.

Team USA and Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski explained the lineup changes following the win.

"[Stephen] Curry has been out, so we wanted to give him a chance and we already know what Rondo and Granger can do, and Love was out," Krzyzewski told reporters afterward. "That was our plan tonight, just to take a better look at our team."

Team USA currently has 13 players, with one player needing to be cut by Thursday.

The small pool of players most likely on the cutting block include Curry, Love, Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook and Los Angeles Clippers guard Eric Gordon.

Love will likely stick due to Team USA's lack of frontcourt depth. And Westbrook may have played his way into a spot on the 12-man roster with his performance in Team USA's 77-61 win over Lithuania on Saturday. Westbrook had 12 points, two assists and was named Player of the Game.

As for Rondo, it appears he has done more than enough to earn the trust of Krzyzewski who spoke glowingly about the Celtic all-star last week when Team USA was training in New York City.

"We're going to be in some very difficult environments," Krzyzewski said at the time. "And Rondo . . . Rondo is as tough as anybody. He's trying to just lead our team, get everybody involved, play great defense and win. That's who he is."
http://www.necn.com/08/22/10/Rondo-sits-out-for-USA-but-hes-OK/landing_sports.html?blockID=295526&feedID=3352

Celtic AL
08-23-2010, 07:58 PM
good read

Purch
08-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Wonder if he'll play in the next game

Slimsim
08-23-2010, 08:24 PM
I lIke Rondo

Purch
08-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Gordon vs Westbrook

Super.
08-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Cool

Avenged
08-23-2010, 09:49 PM
As expected.

I remember someone arguing that Rondo wasn't a good fit for this team.

Forgot who though.

MTar786
08-23-2010, 09:56 PM
rondo should be the starter over rose who imo is highly over rated

Mishmin
08-23-2010, 10:21 PM

Rondo is the starting pg. It's rondo, billups, durant, iggy, and tyson. His mind is as rock hard as his defense, and he's got the IQ like kidd. No guessing why coach k loves him.

Jewelz0376
08-23-2010, 10:22 PM

Yea I think Rondo will end up getting more mins than Rose even if he doesn't start because he plays much better d and is a better passer...He will def play more if they face a zone because even though Rondo can't shoot the next best thing is a pg who can penetrate the zone and dish, which Rondo can do better than any1 on the team..

xbrackattackx
08-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Rondo is a solid dude. He will be a great floor general.

Rego247
08-23-2010, 11:31 PM
good for rondo. i think he should be starting, he makes the simple play, good iq, and he'll be looking for his teamates rather than for himself, plus hes a great defender.

any ideas if usa will go with a 2 pg, lineup, i.e. rondo, and billups??

John Walls Era
08-23-2010, 11:39 PM
I actually like both PGs: Rondo and Rose, but Rondo would be a better fit imo. Rondo is a better passer and a slightly better defender.

nigerianking
08-23-2010, 11:46 PM
I actually like both PGs: Rondo and Rose, but Rondo would be a better fit imo. Rondo is a better passer and a slightly better defender.

much better defender

Tmath
08-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Gordan is the odd man out i think

What?
08-23-2010, 11:54 PM
much better defender

Not really Rondo might be the most overrated defender in the league. He takes risks that either end with a steal or him getting blown past were as Rose is more of a traditional defender who takes few risks.

nigerianking
08-24-2010, 12:01 AM
rondo isnt a GREAT on ball defender, but hes still a much better overall defender than rose, no doubt...

Rego247
08-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Gordan is the odd man out i think

yea thats what they were sayin on the broadcast of last game.

Forty6and2
08-24-2010, 12:20 AM
Rondo will be playing for team usa. Coach K knows this and sat him out because this was an EXHIBITION. Will not tip his hand on how he plans to use Rondo against one of USA stiffest competition.

I love hearing all this talk about how Rondo is not that good a defender.
Why all the hate?

Jewelz0376
08-24-2010, 12:24 AM
Some of yall need to get outta here with the Rondo's D is overrated crap... the pg's in this league are too good and quick to lock down every1...but he's def the best defender at the pg spot... and obviously the coaches in the league agree, which is why he was 1st team all D...i think the coaches know a little bit more about who has "overrated" d than the posters on here...call me crazy tho

Hustlenomics
08-24-2010, 12:28 AM
As expected.

I remember someone arguing that Rondo wasn't a good fit for this team.

Forgot who though.

Hawkeye

smiddy012
08-24-2010, 12:47 AM
Took him a while to come around on Rondo.

Purch
08-24-2010, 08:29 AM
LOL.

Rondo is the best defensive point guard in the leauge.

BOSTON617
08-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Not really Rondo might be the most overrated defender in the league. He takes risks that either end with a steal or him getting blown past were as Rose is more of a traditional defender who takes few risks.

:rolleyes: have to love bull fans lol

Purch
08-24-2010, 09:03 AM
:rolleyes: have to love bull fans lol

O it was a Bulls fan.

Now that post makes sense.

Hawkeye15
08-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Hawkeye

I changed my stance later that day. My reasoning was PG's who can't shoot have crushed our team in the past, but I was convinced that wouldn't be an issue for us

Khalifa21
08-24-2010, 09:58 AM
For Team USA, Rondo is definitely the right selection. If he can keep his turnovers down, set up his teammates accordingly and play solid defense, we'll be a lot closer to the title.

Hiphopopotamus
08-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Westbrook might be a better defensive pg and I like/watch a lot of Rondo (for non geography buffs New Hampshire is in the Celtics viewing region)

A lot Rose hate on here, funny. Rose is really good, age relative he is worlds ahead of Rondo at age 21. Rose will be better this year than most of PSD thinks and then we can stop arguing on here all the time

Purch
08-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Westbrook might be a better defensive pg and I like/watch a lot of Rondo (for non geography buffs New Hampshire is in the Celtics viewing region)

A lot Rose hate on here, funny. Rose is really good, age relative he is worlds ahead of Rondo at age 21. Rose will be better this year than most of PSD thinks and then we can stop arguing on here all the time

Bulls fans make Rose hard to like

Ovratd1up
08-24-2010, 10:27 AM

08/09 All NBA Defensive First Team
Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James...

Take your pick.

Bulls fans make Rose hard to like

It really is unfortunate, he is a really likable guy.

tcav701
08-24-2010, 10:47 AM
If i didnt log on to PSD, Rose would be one of my favorite players.

Purch
08-24-2010, 11:37 AM
If i didnt log on to PSD, Rose would be one of my favorite players.

:clap:

DeShaun Brown
08-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Rondo will be playing for team usa. Coach K knows this and sat him out because this was an EXHIBITION. Will not tip his hand on how he plans to use Rondo against one of USA stiffest competition.

I love hearing all this talk about how Rondo is not that good a defender.
Why all the hate?

Rajon Rondo believes he's on the bubble. (http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=5492343)

His D isn't the problem. It's his O that has become an issue.

tredigs
08-24-2010, 02:37 PM
My whole point is: do you think, as a PSD poster, you have a better grasp on who should be playing on team USA than the coach of said team who is there every single day watching these guys play? Do you think your observations on a few games > the coaches observations every single day? If so then you must really think Coach K is not qualified to make any basketball decision whatsoever.

Again, Rondo WITHDREW, pal.

Coach K's words on Rondo after the Spain exhibition:

"[Stephen] Curry has been out [with a sprained ankle], so we wanted to give him a chance and we already know what Rondo and Granger can do, and Love was out," Krzyzewski told reporters afterward. "That was our plan tonight, just to take a better look at our team."

As for Rondo, it appears he has done more than enough to earn the trust of Krzyzewski who spoke glowingly about the Celtic all-star last week when Team USA was training in New York City.

"We're going to be in some very difficult environments," Krzyzewski said at the time. "And Rondo . . . Rondo is as tough as anybody. He's trying to just lead our team, get everybody involved, play great defense and win. That's who he is."
http://www.necn.com/08/22/10/Rondo-sits-out-for-USA-but-hes-OK/landing_sports.html?blockID=295526&feedID=3352

^Those are the words directly following the prior exhibition, of Coach K raving about Rondo. Rondo then withdrew due to some family issue back home, apparently. Do you ridiculously happy Bulls fans get acknowledge this?

Honestly, I hope Curry gets the nod to start over Rose - He's alrready arguably the better playmaker and his perimeter shooting will be invaluable out there. A lineup of:

PG: Curry

SG: Granger

SF: Durant

PF: Odom

C: Chandler

would be pretty pretty dominant in FIBA ball.

Hawkeye15
08-24-2010, 02:39 PM
this thread will be closed down just as quickly as the other one if it heads that general direction

tredigs
08-24-2010, 02:43 PM
he withdrew to save face. I have no doubt he was pouting after his DNP.

Unfortunately, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. So until we hear otherwise, why bother trolling?

bigsams50
08-24-2010, 02:43 PM
he withdrew to save face. I have no doubt he was pouting after his DNP.

You can twist it anyway you want the fact is he withdrew

DeShaun Brown
08-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports (http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/statuses/22017827574) reported Tuesday afternoon that Rondo is indeed the last cut for Team USA.

Spears also reported (http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/statuses/22018148676) that Team USA chairman Jerry Colangelo said Rondo withdrew because he had "some family matters to attend to and some things to take care of before the NBA season."

But TrueHoop's Henry Abbott cautions with this (http://twitter.com/TrueHoop/statuses/22018874375): "Team USA sometimes has cover stories for cut players. When they cut Gilbert Arenas years ago, they called him injured."

Here's a link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/30/AR2006083003244.html) to the Washington Post article Abbott referenced.

DaBUU
08-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports (http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/statuses/22017827574) reported Tuesday afternoon that Rondo is indeed the last cut for Team USA.

Spears also reported (http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/statuses/22018148676) that Team USA chairman Jerry Colangelo said Rondo withdrew because he had "some family matters to attend to and some things to take care of before the NBA season."

But TrueHoop's Henry Abbott cautions with this (http://twitter.com/TrueHoop/statuses/22018874375): "Team USA sometimes has cover stories for cut players. When they cut Gilbert Arenas years ago, they called him injured."

Here's a link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/30/AR2006083003244.html) to the Washington Post article Abbott referenced.

how dare you post articles that may back up our speculation......

DaBUU
08-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Unfortunately, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. So until we hear otherwise, why bother trolling?

recently obtained evidence shows that I may be correct, and not a troll as you would like me to be.

tredigs
08-24-2010, 02:56 PM
how dare you post articles that may back up our speculation......

They are outside sources speculating on your speculation. That's grade A concrete right there!

The facts however are that Coach K raved about Rondo and called him a leader of the team as he started the games for us ahead of Rose and everyone else. The other fact is that when he didn't start, Coach K continued to rave about him, insisting that "he's a great player and we know what we can get from Rondo - we're going to be playing in some tough environments and he knows how to handle that. He will be a great leader". That was after the final exhibition that he did not play in.

And finally, the last fact is that Coangelo is on record saying that Rondo came to them and withdrew do to some family issues back home, after which Coangelo again praised Rondo and said that he respects the decision and gives him his full support.

Is it possible that this is all smoke and mirrors and they just didn't think that Rondo's game was best suited for FIBA ball? Sure. But that's all speculation and assumptions, with nothing concrete to back it up. And even if that was the case, who cares? Rondo will still be the one leading his squads deep into the playoffs while earning all league defensive 1st teams. I doubt he's too worried about it, you shouldn't be either.

chiladin
08-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Rondo is a great young PG! He reminds me of Isaiah Thomas in terms of athleticism, heart and passing ability. But to say he's the best defensive PG in the league is a bit of an overstatement. Rondo in no way,shape, form or fashion can guard the man that he will most likely start over which is Rose.Rose dropped 39 on the Celtics the last time they played and we saw how he had Rondo on skates in Las Vegas.:o

Not only that but we also remember Derrick's phenomenal playoff debut against Boston during his rookie campaign. The rest of the series they aggressively proceeded to double team Rose because no way could Rondo have a chance. Rondo is a great ball hawk but is he really better than CP3? Is he more physical than Deron? Does he play the passing lanes better than Westbrook? How many open court layups or dunk does he get compared to those guys? Rondo is a gambler. Rose is more of a traditional defender and his defense wasn't that great during his rookie season but have we failed to realize that he's improved in all facets of his defense? Do we not remember his chase down block against Chauncey Billups or Richard Jefferson? Or how about when he met Scalabrine at the rim and pinned him? He's no bum on defense is the point i'm trying to make!

Now offensively, Rose is the best scoring PG in the league hands down. He averaged 21ppg basically playing the first quarter of the past NBA season with a bum ankle. He average 27 ppg in the playoffs against the NBA's best team at that point. Even so far with TEAM USA he has made the most valuable contribution from that spot. It was him who put the team on his back during those last few minutes of the USA vs Spain game! That was the BIGGEST game Team USA has faced and he got the job done! And let's not forgot that Rose is a good passer as well. Ask Rudy Gay or Durant. He has 8 assists in Vegas. He can drive and kick, and create off the pick-n-roll as well. He's not the flashy passer that Rondo is but he's good enough to make plays. Further, besides Kevin Durant and Odom he's the most naturally gifted player and the best athlete on that team. :speechless::speechless:His speed,ball handling ability and ability to get into the lane is lethal for any oppossing defense. The difference between him and

Rondo is that Rondo is improving but not noticeably. I still cringe when I see him starting the offense in the half-court set from the free-throw line in Boston. It's like dude learn how to shoot already. If Rose were playing in Boston instead of Rondo they would've won the championship. Why? Because Rose has more of an ability to take over a game. Rondo has benefited tremendously by playing in Boston with 3 hall-of-famers! Rose is once in a lifetime PG! Now that the Bulls have a legitmate deep threat(Korver) and a legitimate post presence(Boozer) this Rose vs Rondo argument WILL END this year!