PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies' Owner Defends Stand on Henry

Swashcuff
08-23-2010, 07:11 PM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/08/23/michael-heisley-defends-grizzlies-stand-on-xavier-henry/

In a live interview with Chris Vernon on 730 Fox Sports in Memphis, Heisley abrasively made the case for his decision to hold off on signing Henry unless the Kansas product agrees to fairly unprecedented performance-based incentives. When Vernon asked why Heisley is taking a stand with Henry's contract despite giving maximum rookie-scale contracts to 2009 draft picks Hasheem Thabeet and DeMarre Carroll, Heisley answered that he just found out about the rule allowing negotiation in rookie contracts this summer when employees in the Grizzlies' front office made him aware of it.

"I've never seen the collective bargaining agreement," Heisley said. "Would you sit down and read it?" Vernon answered in the affirmative; I imagine many Grizzlies fans listening at home have indeed read the CBA. And they don't own $250-million NBA franchises.

:confused:

Well I guess he hires people to see/read it for him.

topdog
08-23-2010, 07:40 PM
And the race is on! Donald Sterling with an early advantage, but Michael Heisley is closing fast!

Tony_Starks
08-23-2010, 07:47 PM
I wonder does this fellow truly understand the image of himself that he's painting for an organization that is on the verge of turning itself around? I wonder does he understand what sort of attendence record the Memphis Grizzlies has? He is in no position to be anywhere near anysort of stalemate of potential talent.

Wake the F up and sign the kid genius! Someone that signed Jamal Tinsley and drafted a lottery pick that went to the D-league is not allowed by law to quibble over money!

Iodine
08-23-2010, 07:59 PM
I really hate owners of all sports teams NBA, NFL, MLB, ect that own a team because its a status symbol/cut costs

SC1211
08-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Wow, I suddenly have a lot of sympathy for Grizzlies fan. Michael Heisley is a bona-fide idiot. I seriously cannot believe what I heard in that interview...he seriously knows NOTHING about basketball. When you've got Chris Wallace as your "advisor" and this guy running things, there will be no success soon, unless they stumble upon it (like they did with a reinvigorated Zach Randolph, which no one could have predicted.)

dhopisthename
08-23-2010, 08:33 PM
there are some owners that really make you wonder if they care about anything but how much money their franchise is worth

bholly
08-23-2010, 08:50 PM
It's worth pointing out that it's not just Henry - they're doing the same thing with Greivis Vasquez.

Swashcuff
08-23-2010, 09:02 PM
It's worth pointing out that it's not just Henry - they're doing the same thing with Greivis Vasquez.

I didn't know that. What are they really trying to get at?

topdog
08-23-2010, 09:09 PM

Yeah, but Vasquez is not a lottery pick and I don't think one of his contract's conditions is to make the all-rookie team.

Raoul Duke
08-23-2010, 09:11 PM
I don't understand. Is this their GM, their owner, or both?

EDIT: Nevermind, looked it up. Wow, this guy is a complete moron.

bholly
08-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Yeah, but Vasquez is not a lottery pick and I don't think one of his contract's conditions is to make the all-rookie team.

Maybe, but the point I was making was that it's a new team policy, not something they're just doing because they don't think Henry specifically is worth 120%.

I didn't know that. What are they really trying to get at?

Seems like they just want to make it more based on real incentives - I don't think there's any deeper meaning. I guess they're either just cheap, or think it's the best way to get the most out of rookies. Seems like it's not even close to being worth the amount it's costing them in public and player relations, though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5472219

That's the AP story that was going around last week that has a little more on it.

He says only one player out of more than 450 since the rookie salary scale was instituted in 1995 has agreed to a performance bonus...

Tellem said Henry would agree to bonuses that are frequently offered to reach the full 120 percent, such as taking part in conditioning programs or playing in the summer league, but said no other team in this draft had asked a player to accept a performance incentive.

DeyAce
08-24-2010, 12:13 AM
I wish the Bulls got him

Rego247
08-24-2010, 12:17 AM
i dont understand this, why didnt he take such a hard stance negotiating with thabeet? i believe when asked about henrys performance bonus, he said in one of interviews, something like "isnt it reasonable to think a lottery pick should make the all rookie team?" seems hes just tryin to cover himself from being burned.

Draco
08-24-2010, 12:23 AM
"I've never read the instruction manual for anything I've purchased," Heisley said. "I like to figure it out as I go along... It's like the terms of service agreement you see when you install a computer program.. does anyone actually read that crap? No, they just click on "OK" and be done with it."

ChiSox219
08-24-2010, 12:40 AM
I listened to the interview and found some interesting points:

-While the CBA allows a 40% wiggle room for rookie salaries, the reason 120% is the standard is so agents get paid. If the player gets 100% of the scale salary or less the agent gets nothing. Teams like to keep agents happy if the price is (relatively cheap)

-Contrary to most posts here, after the interview I gained a new appreciation for Heisley. I knew he had a eye for talent because year after year he has hired the best people for his front office. To me, it seems like he cares deeply about winning, but also about proving the critics wrong.

-I can understand why he is so hostile to the media/critics. A lot of people bashed the Gasol trade to the point where they thought Stern should void the trade on grounds of stupidity. With some hindsight, I think Randolph/Marc is an awesome return for Pau considering some of the other deals we have seen.

-The radio show host didn't seem all that knowledgeable either and Heisley did destroy a couple of his points.

-Fans love to hate owners/management, it's just how it is. I give credit to Heisley for hiring great people and allowing them to make the decisions they deemed best for the team.

-I didn't agree with the Rudy Gay signing but considering the roster and future cap constraints it may have been the only move. Regardless, you can't call Heisley cheap or "only concerned about the bottom line"

-His justification for the Iverson signing made a lot of sense, if Iverson were to ever have success again in this league, it would be as a Ginobili-like 6th man scoring off the bench.

-Thabeet is a project with a lot of potential that could fit in perfectly with Gasol/Gay/Mayo, I think it was a fine draft pick at this point.

-I didn't (still don't) understand the need to force incentives on their two draft picks. The financial factors is a small drop in the bucket and it only will bring negative publicity and future player/agent relations. If they don't want to pay these kids for financial reasons, why not just trade the picks?

-I'm ok with Heisley not reading the CBA. Personally if I owned an NBA team I probably would want to know the details of the labor agreement but I can also understand the logic behind paying someone else to learn that information. I think the interview and this thread shed a very negative light on this guy based on a few quotes that don't tell the whole story.

-Gasol/Gay/Mayo...add Randolph and Conley and this team will compete for a playoff spot.