PDA

View Full Version : "one of a kind" Kobe clocks 32.

dnewguy
08-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Just giving folks the chance to express their birthday wishes to the one of a kind player, no matter how we all feel about him, I believe we all basketball fans feel blessed to have watched and continue to watch him play.

On another note, now that Kobe is 32 how many years do you think he has left to maintain the top 5 status.

spree
08-23-2010, 06:27 PM
i say another 3. if he stays healthy

8kobe24
08-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Happy Birthday Mamba, and many more to come. (in championships too)

blazerman
08-23-2010, 06:36 PM
I hope he declines really soon but I'd say 2 more really outstanding seasons then he gets passed by Roy and DWade.

Yes Kobe is awesome and as much as I would like for him slow it down, he is a very rare player and it's been fun to watch him make basketball look so effortless (but on the real start declining already :D).

Chacarron
08-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Just giving folks the chance to express their birthday wishes to the one of a kind player, no matter how we all feel about him, I believe we all basketball fans feel blessed to have watched and continue to watch him play.

On another note, now that Kobe is 32 how many years do you think he has left to maintain the top 5 status.

I definitely didn't see that coming :rolleyes:

Klivlend
08-23-2010, 06:39 PM
I hope he declines really soon but I'd say 2 more really outstanding seasons then he gets passed by Roy and DWade.

Yes Kobe is awesome and as much as I would like for him slow it down, he is a very rare player and it's been fun to watch him make basketball look so effortless (but on the real start declining already :D).

Very politely put, I concur

championships
08-23-2010, 06:46 PM
It's been a pleasure to have been able to watch this guy since he was eighteen. I remember thinking who the hell is this guy When he threw up two air balls against the Jazz.

Jaji
08-23-2010, 06:48 PM
I think he's got about 3 or 4 more years of elite play. But he could probably play til 40 and still be a 20 ppg scorer.

sofargone
08-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Good for him, I'd say he has about 2 seasons left before he is outta the top 5, but being a top 5 player at 34 is pretty damn good.

xxcubs22xx
08-23-2010, 07:00 PM
mamber?

SA5195
08-23-2010, 07:01 PM
It's Mamba btw...

Gators123
08-23-2010, 07:02 PM
^ what he said.

lakerspack#1
08-23-2010, 07:10 PM
happy bday kb ive watched u since u came im a die hard laker fan and when kobe retires its gonna be a sad day hes my fav player all time its been amazing to watch him play

lakerboy
08-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Happy birthday Black Mamba. You're the last of your breed, the workaholic basketball nut type (no offense to Lebron and Wade fans)

As much as others might hate you, they gotta admit, the league won't be the same in 5-10 years when you are gone from the game.

masalex1205
08-23-2010, 07:16 PM

Besides Roy being a top-5 player in the future, I agree w/ this. 2 more years w/ Kobe being a top 5 but I see him aging gracefull given his ever expanding offensive repertoire

COBY KARL
08-23-2010, 07:30 PM
happy bday black MAMBER

Bruno
08-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Soak it all in while you can people. Active living legends don't last long and don't come around every day. Watch it, appreciate it, enjoy it.

RocketsRule
08-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Happy birthday Black Mamba! :clap:

And regarding Kobe's decline, he won't fall off sharply as other recent stars (Iverson, McGrady, etc). Bryant's game does not solely revolve around his athleticism (at least not anymore). Even towards the end of his career he'll be putting up 23-25 ppg because of his polished offensive game.

Tony_Starks
08-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Shout out to that guy the one and only Black Mamba! The accomplishments are one of a kind and will probably never be repeated. The 81 point massacre, outscoring Dallas singlehandely for 3 quarters, the string of consecutive 50+ pt games, the record for most 3's in a game... but more importantly he did what all the critics said he would never do: lead his team (and team USA for that matter) to basketball supremacy!

Here's a toast to at least another 3 years of being the best player and closer the game has ever seen, at least another 2 championship parades in LA, and a well deserved future reservation to the hall of fame.

Well done black mamba.....well done indeed!!!!!!

shep33
08-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Guy is a legend. I remember watching this kid throw up airballs in Utah, and how lot of people including myself, friends and family were like "wow they traded Vlade for this"?

Then he just got better and better till he was what a 21 year old who along with Shaq would form one of the greatest duo's in NBA history.

A few years later Shaq is out, everybody blames Kobe, and says that he'll never win without the big fella. The trial in Colorado, the rift with the team and legendary coach, really almost meant the demise of him as possibly not only a chance to be one of the greatest of all-time, but also as a player to be liked by the public.

An 81 point game, ridiculous 50 point streak, 61 at the Garden, game winners, All-star MVPs, regular season MVP, multiple All-team Defense awards, All-NBA First Team, a Gold Medal which he helped seal, and 3 straight NBA Finals appearances with 2 rings and 2 Finals MVP's. He could've went down as one of the many players that haven't met his potential, a guy destined to be failure after Shaq left, but instead worked to become arguably the decade's best player and the closest thing we've seen to Jordan. Oh and now he's the most popular basketball player on the planet.

32 years old, and is still known around the league as its best player, by his peers, coaches, and gm's. Just by the constant comparisons to Lebron, Wade, Durant, exemplifies how his longevity as a great player is rarely seen these days. He's got 2-3 years of greatness left, so we haven't closed the books on the 18 year old kid who put up airballs against the Jazz.

xbrackattackx
08-23-2010, 10:57 PM
I think he will be top 5 for 2-3 more seasons then top 10 for 2 more.

dewikwoseisbeta
08-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Who's this "Kobe"?.

Gators123
08-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Who's this "Kobe"?.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_beef

refers to cuts of beef from the black Tajima-ushi breed of Wagyu cattle, raised according to strict tradition in Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan.

dodie53
08-23-2010, 11:41 PM
happy birthday kobe

nuggetsyankees
08-23-2010, 11:54 PM
4 till he starts to decline

lakers4sho
08-24-2010, 01:00 AM
4 till he starts to decline

He's already declining.

PC
08-24-2010, 01:03 AM
I don't think Kobe's going to have a drastic fall off in terms of production. He finally got a full offseason to just rest and heal so I think a lot of people will be surprised to see what he still has left in the tank...

Wade>You
08-24-2010, 01:23 AM
big ups to Kobe, let's hope his best is yet to come.

SouthSideRookie
08-24-2010, 01:30 AM
Soak it all in while you can people. Active living legends don't last long and don't come around every day. Watch it, appreciate it, enjoy it.

I agree totally, people bash him all the time and loose sight of how great he really is, not only with his personal accomplishments but also how he's taken his game to another level in the biggest moments time after time. I'm a Rocket fan and to be honest I can't stand the Lakers, but Kobe is just on a level that I've never witnessed other than Jordan and that's something that is just impossible for me not to respect. btw I say he has 2 years or 3 max.

ChiSox219
08-24-2010, 01:31 AM
6-24

kArSoN RyDaH
08-24-2010, 01:41 AM
6-24

6 - 16

nuggetsyankees
08-24-2010, 01:54 AM
Kobe is a true example of perseverance...he didn't start off too great but really worked hard and perfected his game

ChiSox219
08-24-2010, 01:57 AM
Kobe is a true example of perseverance...he didn't start off too great but really worked hard and perfected his game

Getting drafted in the NBA lottery after growing up in an NBA family isn't starting off great?

nuggetsyankees
08-24-2010, 01:59 AM
i mean he didn't get his career off to a good start...he struggled

_KB24_
08-24-2010, 02:14 AM
Getting drafted in the NBA lottery after growing up in an NBA family isn't starting off great?

He had a very trying first couple of years where he had ample mistakes and people were questioning whether who the hell was this kid that Divac was traded for. His career certainly didn't start off "great". He was just fortunate.

Chacarron
08-24-2010, 02:15 AM
i mean he didn't get his career off to a good start...he struggled

he didn't play much his first year and was given the starting SG when they traded away Eddie Jones who was an all-star with the Lakers.

Kevj77
08-24-2010, 02:29 AM
Guy is a legend. I remember watching this kid throw up airballs in Utah, and how lot of people including myself, friends and family were like "wow they traded Vlade for this"?I remember watching that game. It's when I knew he was going to be great. The rest of the Lakers where afraid to take those shots in that game. They gave up and Kobe had no fear or hesitation even after tossing up airballs.

smith&wesson
08-24-2010, 02:40 AM
3 more seasons for the greatest today!!

Bruno
08-24-2010, 04:20 AM
6-24

If were talking about the most important statistics don't you mean: Boston 40 rebounds, Lakers 53 rebounds?

Allen- 2 rebounds.
KG- 3 rebounds.
Wallace- 8 rebounds.

Kobe- 15 rebounds.

The team who won the glass won every single game. Even on the worst shooting night of his career he still managed to out rebound the other teams starting C, PF, and SG combined. It's called getting it done son.

I'd think Jordan fans would be a little more forgiving considering MJ himself shot 26% (5-19) in the 1996 close out game against the Sonics. You're a witness Chisox, whether you like it or not.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199606160CHI.html

nanablvd
08-24-2010, 04:39 AM
Kobe will always work hard to adjust his gears and find ways to be effective and dominant in different stages of his career, that's what makes him unique in the contemporary era.

bholly
08-24-2010, 05:01 AM
Never been so glad to see a title change - that was killing me.

If anyone has the work ethic and mental rigor to adjust his game to age it's Kobe. I have no idea when and how bad his decline will be, but I can't wait to see how he manages it.

Jaji
08-24-2010, 06:34 AM
Bring back the fro (if you wanna call that thing a fro).

JasonJohnHorn
08-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Since I now officially hate Miami more than LA, ok... happy b-day Kobe. But I'm more about Gasol and Odom when it comes to LA, so let me know when their b-days pop up.

I'll still be pulling for the spurs and the celtics to top the lakers and hear respectively though!

Khalifa21
08-24-2010, 10:01 AM
About 2-3 more years as a top 5-10 player in the league and then when he hits the ominous "35" and his legs have close to 52,000+ minutes on them I think his decline will be a lot more rapid than many people think.

Avenged
08-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Bring back the fro (if you wanna call that thing a fro).

:nod:

It would be hilarious to see at this stage of his career.

Da Knicks
08-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Let me know when Pau b-day comes up or Artest the only laker guys I like...

dewikwoseisbeta
08-24-2010, 12:21 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_beef

I actually read somewhere that that's what his parents got the name from.

mikealike305
08-24-2010, 12:35 PM
^ ive known this for a while.... so now i wonder..... kobe was named afer kobe beef... but as far as i know the beef is pronunced (KO-BAY).... yet we say (KO-BE)... do we say kobes name right? or have we been saying one of the best basketball players to ever live name wrong? lol

ChiSox219
08-24-2010, 12:37 PM
He had a very trying first couple of years where he had ample mistakes and people were questioning whether who the hell was this kid that Divac was traded for. His career certainly didn't start off "great". He was just fortunate.

All star in year 2 at age 19 is a nice start, even if he was voted in. I think it's a bit easier to play relaxed when the whole world loves you.

If were talking about the most important statistics don't you mean: Boston 40 rebounds, Lakers 53 rebounds?

Allen- 2 rebounds.
KG- 3 rebounds.
Wallace- 8 rebounds.

Kobe- 15 rebounds.

The team who won the glass won every single game. Even on the worst shooting night of his career he still managed to out rebound the other teams starting C, PF, and SG combined. It's called getting it done son.

I'd think Jordan fans would be a little more forgiving considering MJ himself shot 26% (5-19) in the 1996 close out game against the Sonics. You're a witness Chisox, whether you like it or not.

Been through this. Kobe's rebound total was inflated, there were almost 100 rebounds available, and it's not like Kobe led his team in rebounding or didn't benefit hugely from Bynum/Odom/Gasol boxing out the Celtics' best rebounders.

Gasol was the Final MVP.

What does Jordan have to do with this? And while it was a close out game, it wasn't an elimination game for Chicago. Jordan didn't have more airballs than assists either, in fact 22-9-7 isn't a bad game if I do say so myself, especially when you are guarded by one of the best perimeter defenders ever.

Jordan's TS% for game 6 =.453
Kobe's TS% for game 7=.376

So from an efficiency standpoint, those two games don't really compare.

Anyways, happy birthday to Kobe, his career has been very entertaining.

Bruno
08-24-2010, 12:38 PM
All star in year 2 at age 19 is a nice start, even if he was voted in. I think it's a bit easier to play relaxed when the whole world loves you.

Been through this. Kobe's rebound total was inflated, there were almost 100 rebounds available, and it's not like Kobe led his team in rebounding or didn't benefit hugely from Bynum/Odom/Gasol boxing out the Celtics' best rebounders.

Gasol was the Final MVP, get over it.

What does Jordan have to do with this? And while it was a close out game, it wasn't an elimination game for Chicago. Jordan didn't have more airballs than assists either, in fact 22-9-7 isn't a bad game if I do say so myself, especially when you are guarded by one of the best perimeter defenders ever.

:clap:

Classic!

GodsSon
08-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Happy birthday Bean...I hope to watch many more seasons of your play :)

fresh prince
08-24-2010, 01:56 PM

Allen- 2 rebounds.
KG- 3 rebounds.
Wallace- 8 rebounds.

Kobe- 15 rebounds.

Is there a ****** slap smilie anywhere?

Jaji
08-24-2010, 02:07 PM

Is there a ****** slap smilie anywhere?

:punish

^there ya go.

Carey
08-24-2010, 02:08 PM
I think he will remain the best player in basketball for the next 3 to 5 years. He has no holes in his game offensively which means he can sustain with less athleticism. He's in a great offensive system with talent around him and his work ethic is 2nd to none.

kArSoN RyDaH
08-24-2010, 02:55 PM

growing up in an nba famiy really has to do something with him riding the bench his first two years in the league and earning the respect of everyone through his work ethic and constant battling through pain and adversity? yeah. riight. he wasnt handed everything on a silver platter he actually had to work to get to where he is right now in his career.

kArSoN RyDaH
08-24-2010, 03:01 PM

Gasol was the Final MVP.

if there was 100 rebounds available then why is it that kobe still outrebounded KG ALLEN and WALLACE in a series where the winner of each game outrebounded the other? sounds to me like kobe bryant wanted it more than everyone on the court which is why we won and which is why he shot 6-24 from the field. he openly admitted that he shot and shot because he wanted it so much.

:facepalm:

fresh prince
08-24-2010, 03:03 PM
:punish

^there ya go.

Hahahaha thanks..I knew I had seen it somewhere

:cheers: