PDA

View Full Version : Is FIBA tougher than the NBA?

Dynastymetal
08-23-2010, 01:02 PM
I just watched some of the FIBA game USA vs Lithuania and constantly the announcer said that "that's usually called a foul in the NBA but in FIBA, they play on". I recalled the transitioning of the NBA in defense. Whereas the defender are not allowed to "hand check" their opponent anymore which has led to less physical play in the NBA. This style has eliminated the "Barkleys, LJ, and Malone" style players. Once this came into effect, then came the rise of the "Dirk and Gasol" type players. Question #1 :is the NBA slowing down so that International leagues can catch up? Question #2 Why were the rules changed in the first place? Question #3Is David Stern endorsing these rumors for possible financial gain (international league potential)?
And also I just watched Rudy Gay get knocked to the floor (by Kalnietis) on a fast break and the announcer says "maybe it was a little acting"! This happened right after a physical no call on the on the other end in which a Lithuanian player was knocked to the floor. FIBA is really trying to say that the NBA is about to loose the respect as being the elite talent of basketball in the world. He also stated "there are no superstar calls in FIBA". WHAT SUPERSTAR IS ON THE USA TEAM? Durrant is up and coming but has not arrived. This team is undefeated so far! Question #4Why are these announcers trying to flopping superstars that are spoiled by the referees? Didn't Divac and other foreign players master the "Art of Flopping"?
Sorry for being so long but I'm a big USA basketball fan. I hate that the NBA got involved to make it a "business". I think it took away some of the incentives for individuals to play college basketball for long a long time and develop their talents. What are you guys opinion on this?

DCSportsIsPain
08-23-2010, 01:05 PM
FIBA is more about the game, the NBA is more about the money.

0nekhmer
08-23-2010, 01:06 PM
yup, i personally like fiba officiating better. they dont let you get away with stuff like 3 steps. all fundamental there

Hawkeye15
08-23-2010, 01:10 PM
just a heads up, but I am moving this thread to the comparisons forum in a little while. I will make sure plenty have an opportunity to see it first. It could carry good discussion

daleja424
08-23-2010, 01:13 PM
NBA has all the best talent but is more focused on offense and entertainment, that is why the rules are called differently here. But if you watched the US vs Spain game you would see that there is just as much BS flopping in euroball as there is in soccer. Players get touched and they fall to the floor, and the FIBA officials fall for it to...

Rafer17
08-23-2010, 01:16 PM
The players are soft, but the game is alot more rough because the refs dont call a foul....which I like

97'bulls
08-23-2010, 01:18 PM
It's tougher yes, but nowhere near as good.

Double_R
08-23-2010, 01:22 PM
I just watched some of the FIBA game USA vs Lithuania and constantly the announcer said that "that's usually called a foul in the NBA but in FIBA, they play on". I recalled the transitioning of the NBA in defense. Whereas the defender are not allowed to "hand check" their opponent anymore which has led to less physical play in the NBA. This style has eliminated the "Barkleys, LJ, and Malone" style players. Once this came into effect, then came the rise of the "Dirk and Gasol" type players. Question #1 :is the NBA slowing down so that International leagues can catch up? Question #2 Why were the rules changed in the first place? Question #3Is David Stern endorsing these rumors for possible financial gain (international league potential)?
And also I just watched Rudy Gay get knocked to the floor (by Kalnietis) on a fast break and the announcer says "maybe it was a little acting"! This happened right after a physical no call on the on the other end in which a Lithuanian player was knocked to the floor. FIBA is really trying to say that the NBA is about to loose the respect as being the elite talent of basketball in the world. He also stated "there are no superstar calls in FIBA". WHAT SUPERSTAR IS ON THE USA TEAM? Durrant is up and coming but has not arrived. This team is undefeated so far! Question #4Why are these announcers trying to flopping superstars that are spoiled by the referees? Didn't Divac and other foreign players master the "Art of Flopping"?
Sorry for being so long but I'm a big USA basketball fan. I hate that the NBA got involved to make it a "business". I think it took away some of the incentives for individuals to play college basketball for long a long time and develop their talents. What are you guys opinion on this?

I'd say that Durant has arrived... anyway I hate the NBA officials and the superstar calls, a foul should be a foul no matter who...

FarOutIos
08-23-2010, 01:23 PM
As far as the superstar calls... most of the US team is considered a superstar as they play in the NBA and are known in other countries.

The word "superstar" carries a definition of broader magnitude.

Hawkeye15
08-23-2010, 01:25 PM
As far as the superstar calls... most of the US team is considered a superstar as they play in the NBA and are known in other countries.

The word "superstar" carries a definition of broader magnitude.

FIBA doesn't care about superstars, which is why many of us are surprised when our stars don't get calls internationally

daleja424
08-23-2010, 01:27 PM
wrong. we are suprised when our players dont get the same calls the other teams get. look at film from yesterdays game and you will see that Spain was awarded bump/touch fouls rather often when penetrating, while the US did not get the same whistle.

Steelers23_06
08-23-2010, 02:18 PM
by far. they have to be more conditioned, it gets physical, its more tactical because of the size of the field and amount of players. i dont like soccer but i think its 5x harder than basketball

WeBallin
08-23-2010, 02:19 PM
FIBA isn't tough its jus isn't ran by Stern, which makes it better The Game of the NBA is so watered down its unbelievable teammates of other teams are best friends, no more Player loyality an no more franchise loyality........Although NBA is good in the playoffs the reg seasom games should be classified as REality TV......