PDA

View Full Version : John Stockton vs Steve Nash

Swashcuff
08-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Who is the better player?

td0tsfinest
08-23-2010, 01:09 PM
I love Steve Nash but I'm going with John Stockton.

Ebbs
08-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Give me the 2 time MVP!

Jaji
08-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Offensively, they have pretty much the same skills. They both shoot ridiculously high percentages for PGs (about 61% TS% for each) while anually being in the top 2 in assists. I love Stevie Nash but Stockton is the all time steals leader. Meanwhile, Nash is a huge liability on defense. That's the difference. Advantage: Stockton.

LTS
08-23-2010, 07:32 PM
its all about the D both are amazing on Offense though

Swashcuff
08-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Honestly I think the only thing that Nash has the clear advantage in is his shooting. He may very well be the greatest shooter in NBA history. He also could score in a variety of different ways that Stockton did not exhibit.

That aside Stockton was a better leader, dealt with full court pressure very well, faster, active on the ball and in the passing lane when trying to get the steal, had great knowledge of each possible situation and was effective in execution, read defenses exceptionally well, and was a good defensive leader despite the fact that he wasn't a great defender he was an understanding leader on defensive end.

WadeKobe
08-23-2010, 11:12 PM
This is the silliest poll I've ever seen.

John Stockton is the greatest point guard to ever play the game. Steven Nash is not even top 5.

I'd take Jason Kidd over Steve Nash in their primes 8 days a week... John Stockton!?!?

No brainer.

td0tsfinest
08-23-2010, 11:16 PM

John Stockton is the greatest point guard to ever play the game. Steven Nash is not even top 5.

I'd take Jason Kidd over Steve Nash in their primes 8 days a week... John Stockton!?!?

No brainer.

Greatest point guard? You can definitely make the case for both Magic and Oscar Robertson.

WadeKobe
08-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Greatest point guard? You can definitely make the case for both Magic and Oscar Robertson.

Completely agreed, but they played more of a Point-Forward type position in that they didn't really guard the opposing team's Point Guards.

If we were counting those two, I would have it...

1) Oscar
2) Stockton
3) Magic

Swashcuff
08-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Completely agreed, but they played more of a Point-Forward type position in that they didn't really guard the opposing team's Point Guards.

1) Oscar
2) Stockton
3)Magic

you are joking right?

td0tsfinest
08-23-2010, 11:31 PM

1) Oscar
2) Stockton
3) Magic

I can't be mad at that. I personally think Magic was the greatest point ever but Oscar and Stockton were great in their own rights.

This would probably be a better discussion than Stockton vs Nash.

Swashcuff
08-23-2010, 11:34 PM

No brainer.

IMO there is no question who is the better point guard but their is a debate (at least according to a few people I know) of whom is the better player. A strong case can be made for both. So the poll isn't that silly.

WadeKobe
08-23-2010, 11:42 PM
IMO there is no question who is the better point guard but their is a debate (at least according to a few people I know) of whom is the better player. A strong case can be made for both. So the poll isn't that silly.

How could you make the argument that a guy who couldn't guard a high shooler (Nash) is better than an amazing defensive player who also happens to be undisputably one of the top 5 PGs in the game?

I'm interested to hear this.

nuggetsyankees
08-23-2010, 11:43 PM
stockton was the best all-time in terms of playing the definition of PG

WadeKobe
08-23-2010, 11:45 PM
you are joking right?

No, I'm not. I'm completely comfortable with someone arguing for Magic being #2. I'd be uncomfortable with the argument that Magic is #1, but I have no doubts it can be made - thought I'd strongly disagree. However, I wouldn't say "you're joking, right?" Please be a little bit more respectful (a) of the players themselves and (b) other posters. It wasn't an absurd ranking. Please don't act like it was.

I personally think that as a Point Guard, the only reason Magic's numbers are any better than Stockton's was because he was on an absolutely amazing team.

Stockton played on a great team, but it was nothing like that Laker team.

todu82
08-24-2010, 09:34 AM
John Stockton

Khalifa21
08-24-2010, 10:03 AM
I love Steve but i'll go with the guy that played defense... Stockton please.

JordansBulls
08-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Stockton

KnicksorBust
08-24-2010, 01:08 PM
I went with Stockton but when I saw the landslide I have to say I was surprised. It's very rare that a contemporary player with comparable numbers to a retired great would be losing this badly.

Jaji
08-24-2010, 02:25 PM
I went with Stockton but when I saw the landslide I have to say I was surprised. It's very rare that a contemporary player with comparable numbers to a retired great would be losing this badly.

It's all about defense. Offensively, you can't go wrong with either one and I might even prefer Nash. But there is such a huge discrepancy on defense that this isn't even a real comparison.