PDA

View Full Version : ricky rubio impresses team usa.

thescore53
08-22-2010, 11:49 PM
"He's an amazing defender, that's one thing that stood out to me is how well he pressured the ball and disrupted our offense," said Durant, who led the game with 25 points. "He's flashy, he's crafty as well and the passes he did tonight were kind of amazing.

"He's gotten bigger and he plays outstanding defense, and because he's a pass-first guard he's going to be liked by everybody who plays with him," said Krzyzewski, whose U.S. team came up against Rubio in the Olympic final two years ago. "He's improved his shooting and he's not afraid.

"
It was great just to test him. He's a young player and he played great," Rose said. "He really runs the offense well ... I think he's ready for the NBA."

the kid is ready.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/2010-08-22-4288972765_x.htm

spreadeagle
08-22-2010, 11:51 PM
Good news for wolve's fans

td0tsfinest
08-22-2010, 11:54 PM
I didn't see the game but I saw the highlights and he had some impressive plays.

Evolution23
08-22-2010, 11:55 PM
where are the Rubio haters now? I remember hearing, "hes soft, hes a bust, he will never make it in the NBA!"

spreadeagle
08-22-2010, 11:56 PM
where are the Rubio haters now? I remember hearing, "hes soft, hes a bust, he will never make it in the NBA!"

Well in all fairness he hasnt yet,but this is a good test

nuggetsyankees
08-22-2010, 11:59 PM
I didn't expect him to play the way he did

ink
08-22-2010, 11:59 PM

Run-of-the-mill blind Euro-hate. Report it if you see it. It can be deleted or possibly infracted if it's disruptive enough. People have to accept the fact that basketball is a world-wide sport and it's not acceptable to hate on players based on where they're from.

Cromedome
08-23-2010, 12:00 AM
I hope the Wolves trade him so he can join the NBA....because nobody wants to play for the wolves. NOBODY!

lakers4sho
08-23-2010, 12:00 AM
Probably a year or two more of seasoning, then he'll be completely ready.

Chacarron
08-23-2010, 12:02 AM
where's the AI4MVP guy?

Hellcrooner
08-23-2010, 12:04 AM
He WILL report to teh wolves.

The only question is WHEN.

Probably NEZXT season since he has a softer buyout then.

BUT if the CBA conversations are taking TOO long a Lockouts is taking place and he hasnt been bale to sighn during the summer he may decide to stay yet ANOTHER year.

Lets say too that if he stays 2 years more in barcelona instead of 1 year he is no LONGER subjected to "rookie scale" and could demmand wichever salary he wants from the Wolves.
Strong Factor IMO.

Joshtd1
08-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Been on the Rubio bandwagon for a bit now, I hope this game opens the eyes of people. This kid can certain play, if he can work on his jumper a little bit..wow, watch out.

tredigs
08-23-2010, 12:06 AM
So get over here already. I want to watch this kid on my League Pass, and Minny fans deserve something else to get excited about.

Hellcrooner
08-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Run-of-the-mill blind Euro-hate. Report it if you see it. It can be deleted or possibly infracted if it's disruptive enough. People have to accept the fact that basketball is a world-wide sport and it's not acceptable to hate on players based on where they're from.

Really?

I think i read like 100 of thses kind of posts a Day.

It takes Job`s patiente not to end banned myself :D

spreadeagle
08-23-2010, 12:08 AM

So there is a strict no talking bad about Ricky Rubio policy on PSD now? Can I get one for Bargnani too:p

Ragun
goodbye flynn when rubio comes in?

thescore53
I hope the Wolves trade him so he can join the NBA....because nobody wants to play for the wolves. NOBODY!

i would play for the wolves. but seriously whats wrong with minny. people underatte minny alot. its not a horrible city they have a really nice down town area.

td0tsfinest
08-23-2010, 12:11 AM
goodbye flynn when rubio comes in?

I thought Flynn was on the trading block, no? Come to think of it, I think Kahn is courting everyone on his team.

Hellcrooner
08-23-2010, 12:12 AM
btw i hope people realized today that comparing Rubio with Maravic or Nash is not accurate.

HIs game is absolutley NOT in that mold.

What he can get to acomplish is a Jason Kidd Game.

td0tsfinest
08-23-2010, 12:21 AM
btw i hope people realized today that comparing Rubio with Maravic or Nash is not accurate.

HIs game is absolutley NOT in that mold.

What he can get to acomplish is a Jason Kidd Game.

I can see that but his shooting is looking a lot better. One thing kidd didn't have coming into the league was that that jumper, if Rubio can add that to his game, he's going to be hard to defend.

97'bulls
08-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Wasn't the whole reason he didn't come to the NBA last year because he was facing a ton of public pressure in Spain not to leave. I don't think it had anything to do with talent.

Hellcrooner
08-23-2010, 12:27 AM
I can see that but his shooting is looking a lot better. One thing kidd didn't have coming into the league was that that jumper, if Rubio can add that to his game, he's going to be hard to defend.

He may make it better but his nature is PASS it first nto shoot.

So he wont ever score more than 14-16 a game but he will make it up with 11-13 apg and 3 steals more or less.

Thats why a said Kidd.

If he was a little bit greeadier he could aim at a Poor mans Stockton.

Hellcrooner
08-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Wasn't the whole reason he didn't come to the NBA last year because he was facing a ton of public pressure in Spain not to leave. I don't think it had anything to do with talent.

nah it was a monehy thing, if he paid the buyout from his own salary he woud be polaing for FREE his first 3 years, imagine if he gets injurded.

and iMO it ha sbeen a great idea to stay in spain and develop his game more.
He wss not ready and could have been benched by filnn lose confidence etc etc.

When he joins at the sooooo oooold age of 20 or 21 he will be ready to be a n impact player from day 1

thescore53
08-23-2010, 12:34 AM
damn this kidd is only a yr older than me. damn minny is lucky. kahn is looking smart if he pans out.

NYKNYGNYY
08-23-2010, 12:44 AM
hate him why go to the draft if your not gonna play? it dosnt matter what team you get drafted to even if its a team no1 care about

Hellcrooner
08-23-2010, 12:48 AM
hate him why go to the draft if your not gonna play? it dosnt matter what team you get drafted to even if its a team no1 care about

Would you play if you have to PAY from your own pocket and basically PLAY for free the first trhee years with the risk of getting injured and not earning asingle dime ever again?

29$JerZ
08-23-2010, 01:10 AM
If Kahn can convince him Minny is set on being more than competitive they'll be set.

Hellcrooner
08-23-2010, 01:16 AM
hes soft, hes a bust, he will never make it in the NBA!

hope you trying to be iironic.

VinceCarter
08-23-2010, 01:24 AM
SHIFT key.

lakers4sho
08-23-2010, 01:32 AM
hope you trying to be iironic.

sarcastic would be the word ;)

John Walls Era
08-23-2010, 01:51 AM
Its a friendly game. He played well move on. I still don't think he proved the haters wrong, so they will continue to hate. I'm still waiting for him to get to the Wolves.

PraiseJesus
08-23-2010, 02:02 AM
still think he blows

Crackadalic
08-23-2010, 02:55 AM
I think the reason there is so much hate is he hasn't played in the nba but you cant judge him just because he hasn't played in the nba the argument isnt if he can be a superstar or a bum player the thing is if he can become a legitimate nba player rubio has a long way to go to become a allstar but if he continues to play as well as he did he can be derrick rose westbrook rando and steph are all better then him but rubio is a true PASS FIRST point guard he has potential but again we will have to see after he plays in the nba but will have a good career

Khalifa21
08-23-2010, 06:55 AM
where's the AI4MVP guy?

He got banned :laugh2:

Purch
08-23-2010, 07:20 AM
According to people once you decide not to come over to the U.S you lose all your talent and become a bust

Hawkeye15
08-23-2010, 08:39 AM
I for one, watched the replay on espn last night, and I couldn't be more excited. If any of you thought there was a chance Kahn was trading him before now, get over it. Not happening. Not until the words, "I will not play for Minnesota" comes from his mouth, which no professional would say unless they are a selfish player. Of which Rubio is not
Jason Kidd 2.0

Hawkeye15
08-23-2010, 08:42 AM
damn this kidd is only a yr older than me. damn minny is lucky. kahn is looking smart if he pans out.

holy snikies. Did someone on PSD just call Kahn potentially smart?
:)

Hawkeye15
08-23-2010, 08:44 AM
According to people once you decide not to come over to the U.S you lose all your talent and become a bust

hahaha. As sad as it is, this is the true answer. That, and if MY TEAM doesn't get him, then he sucks. Kind of a common theme on this site at times.

Raidaz4Life
08-23-2010, 08:44 AM
I will reserve judgment until I watch him play in the NBA... There have been plenty of studs in international play that cannot seem to pan out over here, regardless of if he was playing against team USA or not.

Evolution23
08-23-2010, 08:46 AM

Hes still dumb as hell but Rubio will be a good player

Rangerchick
08-23-2010, 08:54 AM
So what do they do with Rubio? Play him with Flynn? Trade him? Trade Flynn? I don't know but I just can't see a flashy guy who's used to success and a carefree European lifestyle enjoying being in Minnesota and playing on a not-yet-playoff-worthy team.

Hawkeye15
08-23-2010, 08:57 AM
So what do they do with Rubio? Play him with Flynn? Trade him? Trade Flynn? I don't know but I just can't see a flashy guy who's used to success and a carefree European lifestyle enjoying being in Minnesota and playing on a not-yet-playoff-worthy team.

Trade Flynn or Ridnour, whichever nets you more.

JamaicanYouth
08-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Just cut kevin love already and if some big gets hurt bring him back over

Hawkeye15
08-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Just cut kevin love already and if some big gets hurt bring him back over

yeah, cause when you have 12 wings/guards, you should cut one of your 3 big men....

pebloemer
08-23-2010, 09:05 AM
nah it was a monehy thing, if he paid the buyout from his own salary he woud be polaing for FREE his first 3 years, imagine if he gets injurded.

and iMO it ha sbeen a great idea to stay in spain and develop his game more.
He wss not ready and could have been benched by filnn lose confidence etc etc.
When he joins at the sooooo oooold age of 20 or 21 he will be ready to be a n impact player from day 1

I agree. He is young enough and the competition is strong enough that he can still improve greatly in Spain before arriving in the NBA and dealing with the adjustment in gameplay, officiating, etc as well as developing as a player.

The contract thing too makes a lot of sense for him to stay. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Spain for one more season after this either.

goose15
08-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Rubio was very impressive yesterday... he a player

pebloemer
08-23-2010, 09:09 AM

I never questioned the Rubio pick. I was actually surprised Memphis chose Thabeet when they had their shot at Rubio. It was drafting both Flynn and Rubio that I question and claiming they can play together. Maybe they can, but I still expect Flynn to be traded prior to Rubio landing in Minnesota. I'll reserve judgement on the Flynn pick until I see what they get in return.

xbrackattackx
08-23-2010, 09:24 AM

So because someone doesn't like him they can be given infraction? This is a Sports Forum everyone doesn't like the same teams or Players.

ink
08-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Really?

I think i read like 100 of thses kind of posts a Day.

It takes Job`s patiente not to end banned myself :D

I'm encouraging people to report the ones that cross the line at least so they can be deleted. People need to be educated not to just make dumb blanket statements about players and where they're from.

ink
08-23-2010, 09:29 AM
sarcastic would be the word ;)

Actually "ironic" is the word. ;)

ink
08-23-2010, 09:35 AM
I agree. He is young enough and the competition is strong enough that he can still improve greatly in Spain before arriving in the NBA and dealing with the adjustment in gameplay, officiating, etc as well as developing as a player.

The contract thing too makes a lot of sense for him to stay. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Spain for one more season after this either.

Agreed. The reason he stayed in Spain was pretty straightforward and HC summed it up. I never understood all the threads about how bad a person he was when it was clear he was caught in red tape beyond his control. A lot of wasted threads IMO especially now that it's apparent he is every bit the player people said he was. Proves that it isn't wise to judge prematurely without considering all the facts.

Hellcrooner
08-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Agreed. The reason he stayed in Spain was pretty straightforward and HC summed it up. I never understood all the threads about how bad a person he was when it was clear he was caught in red tape beyond his control. A lot of wasted threads IMO especially now that it's apparent he is every bit the player people said he was. Proves that it isn't wise to judge prematurely without considering all the facts.

The only think that didnt made sense AT ALL that day was Memphis picking Thabeet.
THey ha d Marc and whith the second pick the saraly woudl ahve been enought for Rbio to earn money and pay the buyout.

jiggin
08-23-2010, 11:02 AM
he won't stay with the wolves...he doesn't want to play for them.

Hawkeye15
08-23-2010, 11:13 AM

how insightful

Sixerlover
08-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Heh, one good game against USA and I've seen a complete 180 on Rubio here. Went from "Another overrated player" to "I've always liked him, he'll be a player".. Goes to show who has seen tape / games of him before and who fell into the hype yesterday when the fans were cheering him on.

As for me, my pluses and minuses about Rubio's game didn't change one bit. If anything yesterday's game solidified my opinion on Rubio

Hellcrooner
08-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Heh, one good game against USA and I've seen a complete 180 on Rubio here. Went from "Another overrated player" to "I've always liked him, he'll be a player".. Goes to show who has seen tape / games of him before and who fell into the hype yesterday when the fans were cheering him on.

As for me, my pluses and minuses about Rubio's game didn't change one bit. If anything yesterday's game solidified my opinion on Rubio

thats TWO big game against the nab pg

one against the big cats in 08 and one against the young guns yesterday.

thescore53
08-23-2010, 11:35 AM

hello u must be rubio's mother

Mplsman
08-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Excited as hell for Rubio to come over, he looked like a game changer for Spain yesterday.

MrfadeawayJB
08-23-2010, 11:54 AM
I never questioned the Rubio pick. I was actually surprised Memphis chose Thabeet when they had their shot at Rubio. It was drafting both Flynn and Rubio that I question and claiming they can play together. Maybe they can, but I still expect Flynn to be traded prior to Rubio landing in Minnesota. I'll reserve judgement on the Flynn pick until I see what they get in return.

Rubio cancelled all his workouts with memphis, thats why they didnt draft him

DCSportsIsPain
08-23-2010, 12:01 PM
I feel pretty bad for Ricky Rubio considering he could be a very good player in the NBA and still not live up to the ridiculous expectations placed upon him by the major media and a large number of fans in too great a hurry to label him a bust. Rubio could average 15/5/10 his first season in the NBA and someone would say he underachieved.

drama1386
08-23-2010, 12:17 PM
i didn't catch the game, but I recorded it and I'm gonna watch it tonight. sounds like rubio had himself a game. i never denied the talent he had because the kid is a very talented PG. I just wanna see how his game translates from Europe to the NBA before I have an opinion on him. I don't think he will be a bust at all, but I don't wanna overrate him until I see how he plays in the NBA.

but I can't wait until he gets over here. all of these young PG's of the future are gonna be so much fun to watch in the years to come! Rose, Evans, Curry, Jennings, Westbrook, Holiday, Collison, Rubio, Wall etc...man I'm really excited!

mikantsass
08-23-2010, 12:23 PM
"

the kid is ready.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/2010-08-22-4288972765_x.htm

Lol what do you expect them to say? "Kid is garbage, we will bang on him in the NBA?"

dwadefan03
08-23-2010, 12:30 PM
i didnt think he was going to be that good but watching him yesterday was amazing...hes a beast

The Raven
08-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Certainly impressed me. Didnt think he was gonna play that well

Tony_Starks
08-23-2010, 03:45 PM
I can't even front I was sleeping on him due to all the hype but that kid is niiiiiiiice. His defense and heart impressed me the most. Offensively he's going to have to cut out some of that flash and learn to make the simpe pass. I can see him racking up a lot of unnecessary turnovers but that will come with experience.

Overall though the kid looks like he might be ready....

Kashmir13579
08-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Good news for wolve's fans

nope, good news for whatever team the wolves trade him to

Hawkeye15
08-23-2010, 05:05 PM

your boy Flynn will be traded before they trade Rubio

td0tsfinest
08-23-2010, 05:08 PM

even if Wolves were going to trade him, wouldn't it still be good news to them? Rubio is definitely showing he's better player now than he was a year ago, just boosting his trade value. That is if, he was going to be traded.

Tony_Starks
08-23-2010, 05:10 PM
your boy Flynn will be traded before they trade Rubio

After watching him play I really hope he's not blowing smoke and really comes to Minny next year. Realistically I can't see it for the simple fact that I believe his agent will get in his ear. BUT if he's mentally strong enought to get passed all that and makes good on his word with the Wolves it would be a really great story for that franchise!

Hawkeye15
08-23-2010, 05:12 PM
After watching him play I really hope he's not blowing smoke and really comes to Minny next year. Realistically I can't see it for the simple fact that I believe his agent will get in his ear. BUT if he's mentally strong enought to get passed all that and makes good on his word with the Wolves it would be a really great story for that franchise!

there is no doubt, while the Wolves don't necessarily have to get a bunch of wins this year, they have to show some promise with a couple of thier young guys. It may not be a bad idea to throw the bank at Marc Gasol next summer either and dare Heisley to match. But we will see...

Avenged
08-23-2010, 05:21 PM
I'm afraid to speak my mind in this thread since it's apparently a sensitive topic to talk about Rubio. :confused:

But whatever, best of luck to him and Wolves fans.

It's been a long time since they had something to cheer about.

effen5
08-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Not gonna lie, that kid was impressive.

VikesTwinsWolve
08-23-2010, 05:37 PM

He will be in a Twolves uniform next year. At that point we give him to the knicks because they are all the sudden in the mix to win a championship. :facepalm:

VinceCarter
08-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Actually "ironic" is the word. ;)

Actually "bird" is the word! ;)

wesso2008
08-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Yesterday was the first time i've seen Rubio play....he's a real flashy PG. Dude is sick i wont lie...but i mean will it translate to the NBA? After all it WAS FIBA play. :shrug: Who knows...dude's got a lot goin' for him tho...he's got the talent.

Faycem
08-23-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm glad that people now is talking about Rubio after finally watch him playing, really knowing what are they talking about.

About him being ready for the NBA, remember, he is 20 years old and is a professional player since 15. He is an ambitious young/experienced player who is not afraid of success.

Still makes mistakes and is an inconsistent shooter, but he will have a huge impact in ANY team in the NBA.

PraiseJesus
08-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Who was the final player cut from team USA?

WSU Tony
08-23-2010, 07:40 PM
I feel pretty bad for Ricky Rubio considering he could be a very good player in the NBA and still not live up to the ridiculous expectations placed upon him by the major media and a large number of fans in too great a hurry to label him a bust. Rubio could average 15/5/10 his first season in the NBA and someone would say he underachieved.

I could see 10/5/12 in his prime.... He's not a natural scorer so I don't see more than 10 per game points wise for him. Assists? I can see him leading the league. (turnovers too, probably!)

xbrackattackx
08-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Like I said he is good, I see a Jason Kidd or a little less defensive rondo career.

Raoul Duke
09-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Okay, so... Rubio didn't exactly have a great tournament. Have there been any major shifts in opinion regarding how seamlessly his transition to the NBA will be? Is anyone rethinking their "15/5/10" type predictions?

I'm not that impressed.

Hellcrooner
09-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Okay, so... Rubio didn't exactly have a great tournament. Have there been any major shifts in opinion regarding how seamlessly his transition to the NBA will be? Is anyone rethinking their "15/5/10" type predictions?

I'm not that impressed.

Cool, hell shut you up in 365 days

Raoul Duke
09-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Cool, hell shut you up in 365 days

OK. No real comment as to why? No attempt to defend his abysmal shooting percentages?

Alrighty then!

DaBUU
09-14-2010, 10:43 AM

Oh kind of like the treatment DRose gets on here? But Rubio did impress me, i was surprised with his ability.

John Walls Era
09-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Rubio shot 27.5 percent for the tournament, missed 13 of 15 3-pointers, and averaged just 5 points and 5.7 assists per game. (Via Bill Simmons)

Stats don't lie. I'm not impressed.

Hellcrooner
09-14-2010, 01:03 PM
5,7 assists in FIBA ( where they ae much more thigt awarding them) is indeed impressing.
That translated into Nba is like 13 assists per game.

DaBUU
09-14-2010, 01:21 PM
5,7 assists in FIBA ( where they ae much more thigt awarding them) is indeed impressing.

Link?

aZekuiS
09-14-2010, 01:24 PM
He couldn't lead his team past average teams in Fiba. I'm not impressed either. He might be a poor man's rondo (without the rebounding) in the NBA.

Hellcrooner
09-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Link?

No link.

But just go cehck TOny Parkers, or Jose calderon stats the lst year played in europe and then compare them wiht their first nba season.

Its ocmmon knowlednge.

Hellcrooner
09-14-2010, 01:26 PM
He couldn't lead his team past average teams in Fiba. I'm not impressed either. He might be a poor man's rondo (without the rebounding) in the NBA.

Navarro was the "leader" of the team.

Then Mrc Gasol, Rudy Fernandez etc.

He is been used as a Role player in national team now,

Basically because he is...................19 years old still

Raoul Duke
09-14-2010, 01:56 PM

Then Dallas should start Jose Berea next season, because he's going to average something like 13 assists a game. Right?

John Walls Era
09-14-2010, 08:24 PM

Whats the formula you used? So the Serbian PG (Teodosic) must be even better than Rubio.

SteveNash
09-14-2010, 09:13 PM

What does his 4 points on 27% shooting translate to? 2 points on 15% in the NBA?

Hellcrooner
01-31-2012, 01:32 AM
What does his 4 points on 27% shooting translate to? 2 points on 15% in the NBA?

11 points 9,5 asits on 38% , thats what it translates to.