PDA

View Full Version : Are The Orlando Magic Still Contenders?

Kingdre619
08-22-2010, 11:01 AM
are the orlando magic still "contenders" in the east( notice the " " because imo they never were). their biggest acquisition was the signing of chris duhon -_-

their current roster consists of:

C:Dwight, gortat
PF: Lewis, bass
SF:Richardson, petrius
SG: Carter, reddick
PG: Nelson, duhon 0_o, williams

realistically, their roster isnt bad, but for a team who barely got past a KG'less Boston celtics team in 09, then gettign beat by them in '10 this team could sure use alot of improvement. but who is it that they can get right now to improve their roster?

rashard lewis's contract is virtually un-tradable, vince carter's contract is tradable, and nelson can help acquire some help.

IMO, this team needs a defensive pf, a FIRST option player, and a new PG .

the only possible deal that comes to mind is: Carter nd picks for Beidrins and Ellis. they get beidrins who can play pf, and Ellis who can play the 2g. the warriors seems like ellis has been on the block or included in some possible trade for the past few years. this deal gets rid of Ellis' 4 yr contract for carter's 2 yr deal which i believe is not fully guaranteed in the '11-12 season.

besides that trade, the only trade i can think of that would cure all of orlando's needs in one punch is: melo/kmart/billups for lewis/carter/nelson nd picks. basically a fantasy trade, lol, which would probably never happen, i can hardly see us giving up melo, much less billups in a deal for 1 bad contract, nelson, and carter.

orlando has a nice team, and maybe they are contenders, but to say they can beat boston or miami in a 7 game series, is ludicrous. this team needs another allstar, a true pf, and a distributing pg to help them get over the hump.

and what have they done this offseason? chris duhon -_-. really??? jason williams wasn't good enough to hold da position down or something?

really?

everyone made moves: chicago, boston, miami, even the bum knicks nd nets made moves, and the magic dont????

the magic arent capable of beating the fantastic 4 in boston, they probably cant defend the big 3 in miami, and the bulls can probably take them in 7 games. so the way i see it, in a 7gm series, they cannot beat the top 4 teams in the conference

come on orlando, unless they make a big mid-season move to acquire some help, they are destined to be the utah jazz of the east, gud regular season, but cant get to the finals( at-least without playing a team in which their best players are injured)

people in the past say that orlando needs another big man who can score in the post. but i dont think so, i believe that d12 may actually have something that can actually resemble a low-post game this year, i think they shld emphasize on a defensive pf, who can grab boards, nd block shots, as well as guard pf's that go out to the perimiter (kg, bosh).

this team needs a first option, carter isnt that option, atleast not the way he played last year, the man simply doesnt perform in the playoffs, that simple. the only good thing that came out of acquiring carter is that they didnt have to bring back torgulou for a long term deal.

sure torgolou wouldnt have played bad like he did in toronto, but the magic would have to face the fact that what he did that year they "made it" to the finals was because they played sub-par teams. a team of lebron, mo williams and illgalskus, a team of the big 2 ? WHAT!

carter's deal and nelson's deal allows them to acquire some good players in free agency, imo, they just need to get rid of lewis's contract, which isnt likely to happen. but in the future, we could be looking at a combo of cp3 and d12, with hopefully some kind of allstar or superstar at the sf or sg position

so my question to you is, what move do they need to make right now to beat boston and miami?

who is available for them to acquire ? (Outside of Carmelo who we dont know if he is truly available at this point)

right now, i say sign Iverson to help off the bench, and wait till the deadline and try to force some team to take nelson nd lewis for some expiring contracts so they can sign melo in 2011 if he leaves denver and get cp3 in 2012

Mane
08-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Yeah.

and wtf are you talking about they never were a contender? 2 years ago they were in the championship and last year made it to the ECF?????????

Kingdre619
08-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Yeah.

and wtf are you talking about they never were a contender? 2 years ago they were in the championship and last year made it to the ECF?????????

read it over then

they beat who? the bobcats, the hawks and lost to the celtics

the year before they beat the sixers, the cavs who only had lebron basically and barely got by the celtics who had their 2nd best player at the time injured

justinnum1
08-22-2010, 11:06 AM
They lost contention status the second they traded away their second most important player in turk and then they got rid of coutrney lee:facepalm: Otis is really ****ing that team up.

Mane
08-22-2010, 11:08 AM
read it over then

they beat who? the bobcats, the hawks and lost to the celtics

the year before they beat the sixers, the cavs who only had lebron basically and barely got by the celtics who had their 2nd best player at the time injured

Ok well doesn't that make them a contender in the east?

Since they won the conference and were runners up the year after?

Kingdre619
08-22-2010, 11:09 AM
They lost contention status the second they traded away their second most important player in turk and then they got rid of coutrney lee:facepalm: Otis is really ****ing that team up.

yea but imagine had they kept torgolu and then realised the only reason they made it to the finals was because they beat sub-par teams and beat a team without one of theur best players

they would have been in trouble contract wise

Avenged
08-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Seems like you constantly say this..

But yeah, they still are.

They aren't the favorites to win it all and they probably need 1 more piece, but contenders they are.

Kingdre619
08-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Ok well doesn't that make them a contender in the east?

Since they won the conference and were runners up the year after?
not really imo, yea they were in the top 2 last year in the end. but realsistically, could they have beat the cavs last year? i dont think so

and they cant beat anyone this year

i cant wait till the magic fans get in here, they will think im bashing their team when in actuality im just being realistic

Kingdre619
08-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Seems like you constantly say this..

But yeah, they still are.

They aren't the favorites to win it all and they probably need 1 more piece, but contenders they are.
yea i do say it alot, caus ppl are always talkign like they are sum great team

imo, 3 pieces away

FOBolous
08-22-2010, 11:12 AM
they will never be REAL contenders with Dwight Howard as their centerpiece. Like Dirk Nowitzki, i think Dwight Howard is better suited playing 2nd fiddle.

Hawkeye15
08-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Yes they are still contenders. Top 3 defense in the NBA, deep, and can score. They could use a shot creator on the perimeter who can get his own, but they are a top team, and will contend again

Kingdre619
08-22-2010, 11:15 AM
they will never be REAL contenders with Dwight Howard as their centerpiece. Like Dirk Nowitzki, i think Dwight Howard is better suited playing 2nd fiddle.
yea, well i think they will be contenders, but he cannot do it with just him, he cannot do it with him and another player, he needs 2 other allstar level players, and a pf

Kingdre619
08-22-2010, 11:15 AM
they need a shot creator nd a distributor and a pf who can play def as well

Mane
08-22-2010, 11:17 AM
not really imo, yea they were in the top 2 last year in the end. but realsistically, could they have beat the cavs last year? i dont think so

and they cant beat anyone this year

i cant wait till the magic fans get in here, they will think im bashing their team when in actuality im just being realistic

I get what you're saying though.

They do need some sort of improvement. Lewis and Carter don't really cut it anymore.

ccugrad1
08-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Of course Orlando is a contender. Anyone who doesn't think so doesn't watch the NBA. Let's face facts, outside of Miami, Boston, and maybe Chicago, is there really anyone else in the Eastern Conference that scares you against Orlando?

Kingdre619
08-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Of course Orlando is a contender. Anyone who doesn't think so doesn't watch the NBA. Let's face facts, outside of Miami, Boston, and maybe Chicago, is there really anyone else in the Eastern Conference that scares you against Orlando?
its like you tellimg me that utah ,denver,and oklahoma are contenders in the west. just because they are the 4th best team, doesnt make them contenders

chicago isnt a contender either as yet

Kakaroach
08-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Yes they are, they'll be battling with the Bulls for the third seed but they will still be a good team. After all, Richardson isn't a huge downgrade from Barnes.

Kingdre619
08-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Yes they are, they'll be battling with the Bulls for the third seed but they will still be a good team. After all, Richardson isn't a huge downgrade from Barnes.
this discussion isnt about seeding. if it was orlando wld probably be the 2nd seed behind miami. its about can they beat boston, miami, and chicago in a 7 game series

Phenomenonsense
08-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Hell, they're easily contenders on paper.

Dwight
Lewis (Great stretch 4, helps the lane)
Richardson
Carter
Nelson

However, in the playoffs the team has always looked like this

Dwight
nobody
(whomever started as SF last year)
nobody
Nelson

What they need to win it all is for Lewis and Carter to not disappear in the playoffs.

Kingdre619
08-22-2010, 11:30 AM
they are a great regular season team, just cant win when it matters

Raoul Duke
08-22-2010, 11:32 AM
They still have an incredibly deep squad, and the best C in the game. I fear that if they don't get a new coach, however, they're gonna fall short again.

EDIT: When you make the finals one year, and the conference finals the next, and most experts consider your roster to be as good or better than it was the previous two years, how are you not a contender?

Kingdre619
08-22-2010, 11:33 AM
They still have an incredibly deep squad, and the best C in the game. I fear that if they don't get a new coach, however, they're gonna fall short again.
their coach is fine

d12 just isnt a man, he is always smiling like a *** he needs to be dominant

Raoul Duke
08-22-2010, 11:37 AM
^I don't think their coach is fine at all. SVG does a good job of getting a team into a position where they play well enough to contend, and even look dominant in the regular season. However, he isn't very clever when it comes to coaching a 7 game playoff series. He didn't make good use of his bench and his guards have no idea how to feed Howard in the post. Those are dealbreakers in the playoffs.

Iceman05
08-22-2010, 11:39 AM
yea but imagine had they kept torgolu and then realised the only reason they made it to the finals was because they beat sub-par teams and beat a team without one of theur best players

Dude someone has posted this same thread once a week, with the same idiotic reason for why the magic made it to the finals.

They beat Boston and Cleveland without their own starting (all star caliber) PG.

heattiltheend94
08-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Whoops, I accidently hit aren't, I meant to say they are.

heattiltheend94
08-22-2010, 11:43 AM
its like you tellimg me that utah ,denver,and oklahoma are contenders in the west. just because they are the 4th best team, doesnt make them contenders

chicago isnt a contender either as yet

I agree that seedings don't tell whole story (ex: Portland, C's), but I still believe that orlando is still a contender

cmellofan15
08-22-2010, 11:47 AM
:laugh2:

not a contender? they've made it to the conference finals and the finals the last two years

xbrackattackx
08-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Yea, Just because the OP wants the Bulls to make it, I think Orlando can take the Bulls. The Team that will give them trouble is Celtics. They are BIG THIS YEAR. They picked up JO,Shaq and maybe Hughes to help out when they meet LA, They have bigger guys to bang with the lakers bigs.

Khalifa21
08-22-2010, 12:02 PM
They are contenders but that team needs improving if they really want to win.

Jays Claw
08-22-2010, 12:05 PM
How are they not contenders? :confused:

They're consistently a regular season power house and have made two conference finals and finals appearences in the last two years. Why are you always on their case?

If you're going to question a team's contending status, maybe you should first look towards the Mavericks, Nuggets and Hawks.

mynameismo
08-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Yes!

Gators123
08-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Yes...

masalex1205
08-22-2010, 12:15 PM
IMO they need a go-to scorer, he doesn't have to be elite, but someone like Paul Pierce, Rudy Gay, or Stephen Jackson would be perfect for that team

JordansBulls
08-22-2010, 02:21 PM
There is a difference between being a contender and being a favorite to win it all. Orlando is clearly a contender. How the hell could a team that won 59 games two years in a row not be a contender?

shep33
08-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Yeah, but how far they go depends on Vince Carter and Rashard Lewis.

beasted86
08-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Magic need to trade Carter for some type of SG or SF.

Guys like Jason Richardson outplayed Vince Carter in the playoffs. That just can't be happening with your 2nd or 3rd best player. If it wasn't for Jameer Nelson they might not have even made the ECF.

Rashard Lewis also needs to decide whether he is really a PF or SF.

xbrackattackx
08-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Magic need to trade Carter for some type of SG or SF.

Guys like Jason Richardson outplayed Vince Carter in the playoffs. That just can't be happening with your 2nd or 3rd best player. If it wasn't for Jameer Nelson they might not have even made the ECF.

Rashard Lewis also needs to decide whether he is really a PF or SF.

Jason Richardson outplayed a lot of people he was sick in the Play-offs.

abe_froman
08-22-2010, 03:03 PM
of course they are,i'm more confused by anyone saying they arent

beasted86
08-22-2010, 03:08 PM

Yeah, but isn't it kind of dissapointing a 3rd option on Phoenix played better offense & defense than a guy who the Magic brought in to basically carry the offense in the clutch as the #1 guy?

Even as just a spot up shooter Carter was putrid.

On that same topic, if Phoenix is rebuilding, the Magic should actually try and make a trade to get J-Rich. Because it's obvious Nelson has taken over as the ball handler in the 4th because Carter stinks. J-Rich is a more consistent shooter to fit with Howard & Nelson.

d-baller23
08-22-2010, 03:14 PM
First off, we didnt have Jameer in that KGless playoffs so Boston fans can shut up about that.... two we got a first option he name is Dwight Howard, the best center in the league. three, we can win 60 plus games, I guranteed if we didnt have that bad month in January we wouldve had 65 wins. We are championship contenders... We need a go to guy but Vince isn't bad, he'll do way better this year, he got a understanding of our system better, We only got Duhon and Richardson, because we don't wanna break up our team, change isnt always good. These pieceswe signed will do wonders for Orlando. We'll be called The Best Thr33 Team in the NBA.

d-baller23
08-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Yeah, but isn't it kind of dissapointing a 3rd option on Phoenix played better offense & defense than a guy who the Magic brought in to basically carry the offense in the clutch as the #1 guy?

Even as just a spot up shooter Carter was putrid.

On that same topic, if Phoenix is rebuilding, the Magic should actually try and make a trade to get J-Rich. Because it's obvious Nelson has taken over as the ball handler in the 4th because Carter stinks. J-Rich is a more consistent shooter to fit with Howard & Nelson.

Carter is not the #1 option, he's the third or fourth.

#1 Dwight is the number one becuz the plays goes thru him...
#2 Jameer Nelson is the number two becz he sets up plays and create his own shots.
#3 Rashard/Vince these two can vary, depending on matchups.
#4 Vince/Rashard

carter80
08-22-2010, 03:44 PM
No , not anymore.

RadiantShot
08-22-2010, 03:47 PM

I agree.
He almost outplayed Kobe a few games too. (Not in the WCF, but in general). Yes, I'm being serious, and yes it's true. Check the $tats

BkOriginalOne
08-22-2010, 03:57 PM
They need to upgrade their backcourt.
Or at least get a great PG who can bring the most out in Howard (Chris Paul) and let Pietrus start at the 2.

Antipod
08-22-2010, 03:58 PM
It all depends on what Miami trio are capable of, but personally i don`t think that they`ll reach the finals any time soon

beasted86
08-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Carter is not the #1 option, he's the third or fourth.

#1 Dwight is the number one becuz the plays goes thru him...
#2 Jameer Nelson is the number two becz he sets up plays and create his own shots.
#3 Rashard/Vince these two can vary, depending on matchups.
#4 Vince/Rashard

Of course Howard is the #1 most of the time... but he can't make the plays in the crunch because of his FT shooting, and his turnover proneness.

Carter was brought in to be the #1 closer in crunch time, and he failed in this aspect misearbly. Jameer has the ability, but is still too inconsistant at times.

If Howard can learn to hit FTs at a high percentage, and not turn the ball over as much, he would be the ideal #1 in crunch time. In theory it would be high percentage FTs, a high percentage FG, or a wide open look for a perimeter shooter every single time.

icej
08-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Not an Orlando fan but as long as Dwight is there and Healthy, in 7 or more years ORLANDO will always be a contender.