PDA

View Full Version : #2 SF in The NBA?

Mile High Champ
08-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Hey guys, Some of you may remember that for the last two years I have conducted a poll at the end of the season that had PSD users vote for the top 10 players at each position. Its is now that time to vote! I would like to start this up once more considering the NBA season is now over and we can get to this discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 2 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best.

SF Rankings DONT FORGET TO VOTE!!

1) Lebron James
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

2009 Off Season SF Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Carmelo Anthony
3) Kevin Durant
4) Paul Pierce
5) Danny Granger
6) Andre Iguodala
7) Caron Butler
8) Hedo Turkoglu
9) Ron Artest
10) Stephen Jackson

2008 Off-Season SF rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Paul Pierce
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Caron Butler
5) Ron Artest
6) Shawn Marion
7) Josh Smith
8) Richard Jefferson
9) Lamar Odom
10) Tayshaun Prince

D-Train#35
08-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Kd

mikealike305
08-21-2010, 10:10 AM
no poll? well KD.... think we can skip to 4

davids22
08-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Where's the poll? Prob jumped in here too early lol.

KD or Melo hmm? I'm YET to see Durant play a game on TV, I missed the Thunder vs Bucks game on ESPN last season because my power went out. That will change this year tho and I'll finally get to see the Durantula.

Mile High Champ
08-21-2010, 10:11 AM
You have to wait for the poll, the thread has been posted before I even start to work on the poll..

Swashcuff
08-21-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm glad you included Granger and Pierce in your poll. Now lets see how serious we can really take these polls because anyone saying Granger (whom I LOVE no homo) or Pierce would have some real explaining to do.

Swashcuff
08-21-2010, 10:13 AM
You have to wait for the poll, the thread has been posted before I even start to work on the poll..

Its called patience bro some guys have it other don't

Khalifa21
08-21-2010, 10:18 AM
I went with Melo.

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 10:21 AM
This should be as easy as yesterday quite frankly. Its Durant, and it isn't even close

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 10:21 AM
the real debate starts around #4

Mile High Champ
08-21-2010, 10:24 AM

Agreed, top 3 are very straight forward.

DisturbedFTW83
08-21-2010, 10:25 AM
youngest scoring champ? i'm going with KD. Longer wingspan than a terodactyl (spell check that one) plays like a 2 guard, can rebound with the best, play d against the best and score against the best. and he's like 13 right? (jokes) the kid has GOT game. Don't get me wrong, Melo is awesome too but for a kid to get the scoring champ at such a young age, I can't turn my back on that...just can't get over the fact that he scored 32 and 19 and lost in the playoffs. Sickness.

mikealike305

this.... but...
u think KD is that much better than melo? i know u are the guy that made that melo is overrated thread but do u really think its not even close between them?

Swashcuff

according to one fan however the debate starts at 3 because according to him Granger is better than Melo. :confused:

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 10:30 AM
this.... but...
u think KD is that much better than melo? i know u are the guy that made that melo is overrated thread but do u really think its not even close between them?

oh, I didn't MAKE that thread up, I simply copied and pasted for discussion.
But yes, I think Durant is better than Melo pretty easily at this stage. Durant has a higher PER, TS%, eFG%, rebound rate, offensive rating, and more win shares both offensively and defensively. I don't have access to Synergy at work, but I would guess Durant is also better in individual defensive sets due to length. But that is a guess at this point.

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 10:31 AM
according to one fan however the debate starts at 3 because according to him Granger is better than Melo. :confused:

hmmm. Don't think so

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 10:32 AM
and just because I say it starts at #4 doesn't make it so haha. There will be plenty of support for Melo here, but I think its pretty clear, when provided statistical seperation evidence, that Durant is the clear winner here

Niro
08-21-2010, 10:35 AM
durant

Slimsim
08-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Durantchula

tredigs
08-21-2010, 10:51 AM
No Jamario Moon? Pollz wack.

For my money:

1. LBJ

2. KD

3. Melo

4. Granger (I'm not going to scoff at people who want to argue him over Melo. Think it could be an interesting debate).

5. G. Wallace

6. Pierce

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 10:52 AM
I may be pushing pretty hard for Gerald Wallace at #4 actually. He had an incredible season last year

black1605
08-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Durant.

Also, if you're going to take the time to list Granger, you should list Wallace. Just saying.

WeBallin
08-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Lol Hey guys since i lost the battle yesterday i'm forced to say KD is #2 Clearly.......lol

Swashcuff
08-21-2010, 11:07 AM
the question with the Granger/Wallace debate is if Granger offense trumps Wallace's D? They are both excellent players on both end however.

mikealike305
08-21-2010, 11:09 AM
oh, I didn't MAKE that thread up, I simply copied and pasted for discussion.
But yes, I think Durant is better than Melo pretty easily at this stage. Durant has a higher PER, TS%, eFG%, rebound rate, offensive rating, and more win shares both offensively and defensively. I don't have access to Synergy at work, but I would guess Durant is also better in individual defensive sets due to length. But that is a guess at this point.

fair enough, no argument with u there, just wanted to know why u thought that

mikealike305
08-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Lol Hey guys since i lost the battle yesterday i'm forced to say KD is #2 Clearly.......lol

lol

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Kd

tredigs
08-21-2010, 11:22 AM
the question with the Granger/Wallace debate is if Granger offense trumps Wallace's D? They are both excellent players on both end however.

It's a good debate, but I do think his offense trumps Wallace's edge in D (like you said, both great all around players though). He carries a heavier load in Indiana as well, and does it well (even if he did have a slight dip last season).

BTW, Wallace averaged 41 mpg so his stats might seem inflated to people, but the Cats are also nearly a strictly half-court set team and run one of the slowest paces in the NBA (Pacers are only behind my Dubs), so that's a bit of a wash when comparing the two.

meloman1592
08-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Before I start yes I am a melo fan...but durant is not better....he's probably more efficient and that's it.I know the youth factor comes in but still...we'll see this season

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 11:27 AM
It's a good debate, but I do think his offense trumps Wallace's edge in D (like you said, both great all around players though). He carries a heavier load in Indiana as well, and does it well (even if he did have a slight dip last season).

BTW, Wallace averaged 41 mpg so his stats might seem inflated to people, but the Cats are also nearly a strictly half-court set team and run one of the slowest paces in the NBA (Pacers are only behind my Dubs), so that's a bit of a wash when comparing the two.

We can save this for when it comes up, but Wallace's rebounding ability is also something untouched by many SF's. He was top 6-7 in win shares last season. The dude was awesome

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Before I start yes I am a melo fan...but durant is not better....he's probably more efficient and that's it.I know the youth factor comes in but still...we'll see this season

well, we are basing it off last season. One would have to expect to see the same thing we have seen from Melo for years this season, and for Durant to continue is progression into MVP candidate

DCSportsIsPain
08-21-2010, 11:36 AM

No, Durant is better all the way around and still developing. Any objective comparison bears out Durant is far better all around.
Melo is as good as he is ever going to be and is 3rd best at his position at most. Many of the advanced stats have already been posted. You are simply choosing to ignore them.

mikealike305
08-21-2010, 11:37 AM

explain why melo is better

macc
08-21-2010, 11:38 AM
This should be as easy as yesterday quite frankly. Its Durant, and it isn't even close

Huh, ok...... So are you basing that off the fact that Melo and Durrants seasons stats are pretty much identical, or are you basing it off the fact that when the playoffs came Melo actually exceeded his averages in almost every catagory. While Durrant, played well below his season averages.

In the playoffs Melo averaged more ppg, steals, blocks, & more rebounds then he did in the regular season. He played better on the bigger stage, whereas KD avg less pts, steals, & assists while shooting a worse fg and 3 pt percatage (28%) then he did during the regular season.

Its fine to have your preference between the two players but show me where "it's not even close." I guess I just don't see it.

Overall I think Melo has the better overall game. Melo def has a better low post game. Durant has the better 3 pt shot by .04%. Melo averages more assists and is more of a play maker then Durrant is.

I know people love the next/newest hottest thing, but explain to me how Durrant has surpassed Melo. At this point KD reminds me of a prime T- Mac with less play making abilities. Someone tell me I'm wrong.

Now granted KD is young and can get better and possibly challange greatest player in the NBA, but as of TODAY, he's not there yet.

Purch
08-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Melo.

Jays Claw
08-21-2010, 11:43 AM
I feel as if Carmelo is a step ahead of the others.

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Huh, ok...... So are you basing that off the fact that Melo and Durrants seasons stats are pretty much identical, or are you basing it off the fact that when the playoffs came Melo actually exceeded his averaged in almost every catagory.

In the playoffs Melo averaged more ppg, steals, blocks, & more rebounds then he did in the regular season. He played better on the bigger stage, whereas KD avg less pts, steals, & assists while shooting a worse fg and 3 pt percatage (28%) then he did during the regular season.

Its fine to have your preference between the two players but show me where "it's not even close." I guess I just don't see it.

Overall I think Melo has the better overall game. Melo def has a better low post game. Durant has the better 3 pt shot by .04%. Melo averages more assists and is more of a play maker then Durrant is.

I know people love the next/newest hottest thing, but explain to me how Durrant has surpassed Melo. At this point KD reminds me of a prime T- Mac with less play making abilities. Someone tell me I'm wrong.

As for the playoffs, having Artest/Bryant guard you is a bit more stout that Matthews/Fesenko

here is their comparison. Durant is a better shooter, shot creator, rebounder, defender, and his numbers translate to far more wins.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=duranke01&y1=2010&p2=anthoca01&y2=2010

Purch
08-21-2010, 11:46 AM
O i read that wrong

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 11:46 AM
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????

yes?

edit: no worries

Chacarron
08-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Durant.

stejay
08-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Kevin Durant

Mane
08-21-2010, 11:53 AM
LBJ,Durant, Melo, Granger, Wallace, Pierce..

Thats my order :shrug:

tredigs
08-21-2010, 11:57 AM
As for the playoffs, having Artest/Bryant guard you is a bit more stout that Matthews/Fesenko

here is their comparison. Durant is a better shooter, shot creator, rebounder, defender, and his numbers translate to far more wins.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=duranke01&y1=2010&p2=anthoca01&y2=2010

That's the LCD of the argument ^ It really is not that close, Macc. As close as you may want to think their per-game averages are (Durant still being better in virtually every cat), when you look closer into the efficiency numbers and how much better Durant is defensively it becomes pretty clear who is the better player.

KD was not great in the playoffs, but seeing as it was his first time there and the champions established an elaborate defense (utilizing their top two shutdown wing defenders + Pau off of the high screens), I can understand the struggle. As his teammates improve and they won't be able to focus that kind of pressure on him, that's going to change. Can't forget that Melo has been in the 30% zone in 3 separate occasions after one of his many 1st round exits in the playoffs - it happens. But somehow I doubt if the stars align to help "shut down" KD like that again (still avg. 25/8/2 and was great defensively).

cowboyz180
08-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Kd

Avenged
08-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Durant for obvious reasons.

I don't think Granger is top 4 though, i'd put Pierce and Wallace ahead of him. Being top 4 shouldn't be a given, you have to actually take your team somewhere in my opinion to be up that high in a ranking. (8th seed out East would be a good start)

D.Rose#1
08-21-2010, 12:01 PM
kd

yes

stejay
I think we should skip to #4.......

Hawkeye15
That's the LCD of the argument ^ It really is not that close, Macc. As close as you may want to think their per-game averages are (Durant still being better in virtually every cat), when you look closer into the efficiency numbers and how much better Durant is defensively it becomes pretty clear who is the better player.

KD was not great in the playoffs, but seeing as it was his first time there and the champions established an elaborate defense (utilizing their top two shutdown wing defenders + Pau off of the high screens), I can understand the struggle. As his teammates improve and they won't be able to focus that kind of pressure on him, that's going to change. Can't forget that Melo has been in the 30% zone in 3 separate occasions after one of his many 1st round exits in the playoffs - it happens. But somehow I doubt if the stars align to help "shut down" KD like that again (still avg. 25/8/2 and was great defensively).

dang, I don't know why I didn't look at this before, but take a gander at Melo's first playoff numbers. He sucked waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than Durant's first attempt
15/8/3 on negative win shares, a PER of 9.8, and an offrtg of 81.

Sadds The Gr8
08-21-2010, 12:02 PM
The DURANTULA

THE MTL
08-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Well, Carmelo you arent on the Knicks yet (but once u join it automatically makes you the best lol). But until then, I vote for Kevin Durant.

beasted86
08-21-2010, 12:06 PM

I gotta admit, you have absolutely no basketball IQ if you don't think it's close.

Anyway, I voted Durant, and it is close enough.

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 12:08 PM
I gotta admit, you have absolutely no basketball IQ if you don't think it's close.

Anyway, I voted Durant, and it is close enough.

take a look at the real numbers. They have been posted. It really isn't very close at this point

NBA-GMaster
08-21-2010, 12:13 PM
KEVIN DURANT!! :clap:

tredigs
08-21-2010, 12:15 PM
dang, I don't know why I didn't look at this before, but take a gander at Melo's first playoff numbers. He sucked waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than Durant's first attempt
15/8/3 on negative win shares, a PER of 9.8, and an offrtg of 81.

Word - I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and a pass on that one seeing as it was his first time there and he was only a rookie, but he was not much better in the following two seasons' playoffs. And he's only made it out of the 1st round 1 time despite all the talent he's had around him, so bringing up a sub-par playoff performance while championing Melo was a pretty ironic choice by Macc.

beasted86
08-21-2010, 12:19 PM
take a look at the real numbers. They have been posted. It really isn't very close at this point

I don't need to look at any extraneous numbers to tell how close it is.

Carmelo is a force in his own right who led his team to a better record this same season, led his team to the playoffs all 7 years he has been in the league, and has propelled his team into contender status the past 2 years. If he's "not close" to Durant, people just have no basketball IQ and let the ESPN hype train and John Hollinger tell them who to hype instead of looking at the comparison logically.

Like I said, it's Durant, but it's close enough.

Purch
08-21-2010, 12:20 PM
I've seen more arguments based on pure stats in this thread then the Chris Paul vs D-Will one

MiamiWadeCounty
08-21-2010, 12:21 PM
I still like Melo for his defense and hes dun well in the tough West. KD can only shoot. He sucks on defense and hes too skinny and weak

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Carmelo is a force in his own right who led his team to a better record this same season, led his team to the playoffs all 7 years he has been in the league, and has propelled his team into contedor status the past 2 years. If he's "not close" to Durant, people just have no basketball IQ and let the ESPN hype train and John Hollinger tell them who to hype instead of looking at the comparison logically.

then we have no discussion here. They aren't fancy, obscure numbers. They are real, and telling. If you don't care to look at them, then you have no rational debate here except what your eyes are telling you. Which isn't strong enough for me to accept.
Peace

macc
08-21-2010, 12:23 PM

Sorry the better defender theory doesn't mean much to me. The great players find ways to excel in the playoffs. Show me years where Michael Jordan dwindled in the playoffs because of the "better defenders" that were on him.

KD is a better shooter, I agree there (not my much though)
KD is not a better shot creater, so I disagree there. KD doesn't break his players down, he gets by with his athetisim. Melo is arguably the best scorer in the league, you get him the ball anywhere on the court and he can get a basket for you.

Durrant is on par with Carmelo in rebounding I think. Durant averages appx 1 more per game but Durrant also doesn't have a Nene and K Mart helping in the rebounding like Melo does.

Kd is a slighty better defender, but is in no way a lock down defender at this stage of his career.

Melo is the better play maker, he's better at making the players around him better then KD is. Thats my biggest knock on KD. With all the attention he gets I would like to see him averaging 4+ assists per game.

I see your a stat guy, stats are great and all but they are def not everything and I think stats are overrated and over used alot. Esp when comparing players so close in skill wise. stats don't take into account the players around you, offensive/defensive sets...ect.

Once again, I think KD has a high ceiling and could be better in the future (prob will be), but when we're talking today and I would rather have Melo on my team because of his all around game.

But it really sticks in my head when players do much worse in the playoffs then they did in the regular season. The great ones find ways to get it done. Bottom line.

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 12:23 PM
I've seen more arguments based on pure stats in this thread then the Chris Paul vs D-Will one

there is a reason for this. Advanced stats tell you a story your eyes don't see. Just the best way to evaluate players you watch. By no means should you listen to someone who never watches basketball, and just reads the advanced stats. But they really do show the details of a players game, down to the last detail in many cases.
They are basically evidence. Nothing more, nothing less.

beasted86
08-21-2010, 12:29 PM
then we have no discussion here. They aren't fancy, obscure numbers. They are real, and telling. If you don't care to look at them, then you have no rational debate here except what your eyes are telling you. Which isn't strong enough for me to accept.
Peace

No problem. That's usually the case when people refuse to look at even those same statistics logically.

Anyway, on to #3 voting, which should be Carmelo.

97NYer
08-21-2010, 12:35 PM
KD over Melo but not by too much. Then Granger.

macc
08-21-2010, 12:39 PM

Carmelo is a force in his own right who led his team to a better record this same season, led his team to the playoffs all 7 years he has been in the league, and has propelled his team into contender status the past 2 years. If he's "not close" to Durant, people just have no basketball IQ and let the ESPN hype train and John Hollinger tell them who to hype instead of looking at the comparison logically.

Like I said, it's Durant, but it's close enough.

Thats the point I'm trying to make. Some people get soooo caught up in stats it drives me nuts. Stats show you such a small part of the game. Stats do not show you leadership as well as many other things.

Carmelo has made Denver a contender since he's been on the team. I don't care what Melos first playoff games were, we're comparing the two players TODAY. Not yesterday or the future.

But seriously, what has Durrant done that a Prime T - Mac hasn't already? Except as I said before. I think a prime T-mac was a much better play maker than Durrant is today.

stejay
08-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Hate it when people talk too much about stats. I'm a big fan of the intangibles. Clutch-ability, how much the guy wants it, reliability. They matter more to me. But meh, call me old fashioned

Raoul Duke
08-21-2010, 12:44 PM
I voted Durant, but it's pretty darn close. I could decide tomorrow that I'd rather have Melo.

It's a tough call because Melo has more experience and has been on squads that were considered to be legit contenders in the west. As much as it pains me to say this, I actually think Melo is a better overall scorer than Durant even if he doesn't put up as many ppg. He just has a better body for certain things than Durant does. As for defense, I think the Melo from '08-'09 was more locked in than the Melo of '09-'10. This last season it seemed like Durant was a more willing defender and it also seemed like he knows his body a little better on that end of the floor.

goose15
08-21-2010, 12:46 PM
Melo

Avenged
08-21-2010, 12:47 PM
I kind of agree with the whole stats thing in a way. I mean, there are some other factors than go into the game other than stats. But stats are facts, you either accept the truth or deny the truth.

Intangibles, the team you have around you, coaching etc.. all goes into determining a player. Even team success plays a factor..

But for this conversation which is Durant vs. Melo, Durant has it all.

Melo is perhaps the most clutch player in the league so kudos to him for that. Defensively, they're both not that great but they're not horrible.

All signs go to Durant being the better SF.

thescore53
08-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Where's the poll? Prob jumped in here too early lol.

KD or Melo hmm? I'm YET to see Durant play a game on TV, I missed the Thunder vs Bucks game on ESPN last season because my power went out. That will change this year tho and I'll finally get to see the Durantula.

nba league pass ? internet streaming ? thats not an excuse if you dont want to watch you dont want to watch

macc
08-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Call me old school but its tough for me to put these 3 year players over guys who have been in the league 7+ years and have been the undoubtable leader on their team the entire time, and not only leading their team to the playoffs but excelling in the playoffs. Winning 55+ games a year with his second best player being a post prime Iverson and a post prime Billups.

But I'm just old school I guess.

Wait till next year when people start putting John Wall in the top 5 conversation without ever playing a playoff game. Just wait, it will happen. John Wall is already being mentioned in the top 10 and he hasn't played a single NBA game yet.

Raoul Duke
08-21-2010, 12:54 PM
nba league pass ? internet streaming ? thats not an excuse if you dont want to watch you dont want to watch

What? Dude, not everyone has a couple hundred dollars to throw down on a league pass, or two hours to watch a game on their computer.

pebloemer
08-21-2010, 01:01 PM

I'm guessing you are not a parent, have a full time job, a spouse and other hobbies. When you do, tell me there is still no excuse not to find a couple hours to watch.

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Call me old school but its tough for me to put these 3 year players over guys who have been in the league 7+ years and have been the undoubtable leader on their team the entire time, and not only leading their team to the playoffs but excelling in the playoffs. Winning 55+ games a year with his second best player being a post prime Iverson and a post prime Billups.

But I'm just old school I guess.

Wait till next year when people start putting John Wall in the top 5 conversation without ever playing a playoff game. Just wait, it will happen. John Wall is already being mentioned in the top 10 and he hasn't played a single NBA game yet.

This isn't a career appreciation thread. its about who is better today. And its Durant by a good margin.

CubsBullsBucs
08-21-2010, 01:06 PM
well obviously danver fans AND any team who thinks they have a shot r gonna vote 4 melo... this is byast, ts already a strech saying melo is better than kd but by 70 votes??? get real

thescore53
08-21-2010, 01:09 PM
What? Dude, not everyone has a couple hundred dollars to throw down on a league pass, or two hours to watch a game on their computer.

dude. if someone is complaining about not being able to watch a player enough u cant take the time off to watch online. its really not a big diff.

thescore53
08-21-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm guessing you are not a parent, have a full time job, a spouse and other hobbies. When you do, tell me there is still no excuse not to find a couple hours to watch.

the guy said he didnt get to watch durant on tv much. by tv he means tnt, espn, abc, he has the time but he'd rather not watch on inter or league pass.

td0tsfinest
08-21-2010, 01:17 PM

I agree, along with your other point too. The real debate starts at #4.

Mile High Champ
08-21-2010, 01:19 PM
This isn't a career appreciation thread. its about who is better today. And its Durant by a good margin.

a BIG +1 ....

Mile High Champ
08-21-2010, 01:24 PM
I asked the mods to close this, Because Durant has run away with it, I have posted poll number 3..

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 01:27 PM
#3 is up.