PDA

View Full Version : Is the NBA too soft? Dime article

spreadeagle
08-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Whether it’s Kendrick Perkins in the NBA’s Eastern Conference Finals or some 12-year-old hothead playing pickup during his lunch break, basketball is by nature a game of emotion, confrontation and, sometimes, anger. So it’s unavoidable that games will sometimes turn into Fight Club scenes, whether it’s the millionaires doing their jobs or the rec-leaguers doing it for pride.

Still, it seems this summer tensions are extra high. Already we’ve seen multiple incidents jump off during international “friendly” exhibitions leading up to this month’s FIBA World Championship — including Carlos Arroyo slapping an opponent during a Puerto Rico/Mexico game, and yesterday’s Serbia/Greece brawl. During that fight, Serbian star Nenad Krstic (OKC Thunder) threw several punches and then threw a chair. He was taken into police custody and held overnight, but sources believe FIBA will slap Krstic with a suspension of less than five games.

Had Krstic gone off like that during an NBA game, he would have been suspended for the rest of the season, or depending on when the brawl took place in the schedule, been given at least a 60 or 70-game ban. It could be seen as the only fair punishment, since Ron Artest was suspended 70-plus games following the Pacers/Pistons brawl in 2004.

Was there any difference between Krstic’s actions and Artest’s actions? You could say Artest was worse because he actually went after a fan and incited a riot that got the fans involved, but Artest also didn’t throw any objects intended to maim like Krstic’s chair-toss. Bottom line, both players went temporarily insane and were out of control, creating a dangerous situation for everyone involved.

So why such a discrepancy in punishments by the basketball governing bodies? The first reason is obvious: Krstic is never going to play 82 FIBA games — let alone 82 FIBA games in one season — so the scale by which you can punish him is different. (Although he could be given a lifetime ban.)

The second reason isn’t so clear. Is it because the NBA is too strict on players for behavior with which FIBA is more lenient? Does FIBA have a better understanding that basketball players sometimes lose control and are therefore more forgiving? Or is the NBA’s aim to create a fan-friendly product making the league softer in regards to what is deemed unacceptable?
http://dimemag.com/2010/08/is-the-nba-too-soft/

I wish it was still like it was in the 80's a few more hard fouls and dust ups aint gunna kill anybody.That Kristic fight was weak though them dudes did nothing but flop around a throw a few slaps lol. I agree about the NBA maybe being to child friendly but I watched ball as a kid and seeing a basketball fight is not too bad,look at hockey and pro wrestling and video games ect

abe_froman
08-20-2010, 06:45 PM
my god yes

nycsports2
08-20-2010, 06:48 PM
yes.. too friendly

lakers4sho
08-20-2010, 06:49 PM
It's because the NBA is a business. And as a business owner you strive to maintain a "good image" of your business to lure investors in.

koreancabbage
08-20-2010, 06:53 PM
yessssss, what happened to the hand check and the massive moving screens? that totally ruined the game when they removed the hand checks. and they fight like ******* when they get actually do fight- i've never seen a fist make contact, just a bunch of ***** slaps and cat fights. and they complain like no tomorrow- sheesh. and the fact they have incorporated the act of diving like soccer players leads me to believe they all take acting classes on the side.

GoatMilk
08-20-2010, 06:54 PM
you all watched the Finals

every game was called like a typical game
whistles everywhere

but in Game 7, all of a sudden the refs swallowed the whistles. it was a great sight to see

Why cant all games be like that?

Spurred1
08-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Pro wrestling is staged-nothing about it is real. It's essentially poor theater in a ring. Boring because it is predictable.

As for the actual thread-minor fights/dust ups in the NBA are fine. But I think due to the Pacers/Pistons brawl, the NBA is worried about the public/spectators getting involved and they want to put the clamps on quickly so this doesn't occur again. The NBA is a bit too soft, but on other hand-I do want to see a basketball game, not a fight.

spreadeagle
08-20-2010, 07:01 PM
you all watched the Finals

every game was called like a typical game
whistles everywhere

but in Game 7, all of a sudden the refs swallowed the whistles. it was a great sight to see

Why cant all games be like that?

SOOOO TRUE who doesnt love the last few games of the finals when the refs just let them play.When guys know the ref aint gunna bail em out so they stop flopping and actually try to get up and block shots

spreadeagle
08-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Pro wrestling is staged-nothing about it is real. It's essentially poor theater in a ring. Boring because it is predictable.

As for the actual thread-minor fights/dust ups in the NBA are fine. But I think due to the Pacers/Pistons brawl, the NBA is worried about the public/spectators getting involved and they want to put the clamps on quickly so this doesn't occur again. The NBA is a bit too soft, but on other hand-I do want to see a basketball game, not a fight.

I know its not real im not a hillbilly lmao,but its still violent and tons of kids watch

TheTakeOver24
08-20-2010, 07:03 PM
not baiting at all here...
but European players would not be able to play in the good old days of the NBA.

wileyisTOFU
08-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Nice chair toss! got me all excited for the FIBA championship

spreadeagle
08-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Nice chair toss! got me all excited for the FIBA championship

your sig owns all other sigs me and my gf watched that 50 times like a month ago on utube ahahahahah,she flys off that stage

spreadeagle
08-20-2010, 07:07 PM
not baiting at all here...
but European players would not be able to play in the good old days of the NBA.

I agree with a Heat fan ,first time in months:D

TheTakeOver24
08-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Gasol could,His style would confuse 80's players!

Now he might be able to... but Gasol of a couple years ago would have switched his profession to being a doctor because he would have spent most of his time in a hospital anyways.
But its true, Gasol has become one of the tougher Euro players in the NBA.

mark1125
08-20-2010, 07:23 PM
It's because the NBA is a business. And as a business owner you strive to maintain a "good image" of your business to lure investors in.

This.

JWO35
08-20-2010, 07:28 PM
They should inforce the good ol' "No Blood, No Foul" Rule

Klivlend
08-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Yes, the NBA is too soft. Let them play!

spreadeagle
08-20-2010, 07:33 PM

Why I like Detroit,Chicago and Philadelphia sports fans:clap:

BenFrank
08-20-2010, 07:49 PM
I'm still tryig to figure out why it's cool to fight in Hockey and Baseball.. but when there's a fight in basketball... the league act's like it's a tragedy

spreadeagle
08-20-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm still tryig to figure out why it's cool to fight in Hockey and Baseball.. but when there's a fight in basketball... the league act's like it's a tragedy

I would put this out there,could be a black white thing.White hockey players fight its tough beer drinkin Canadian boys just throwin a few haymakers.When its NBA its seen as "Thugs" being immature,double standard

ttam68
08-20-2010, 10:45 PM
My god, the comments after that article are what I wish this forum was.

The league is too soft, and its not about a need for violence in sports. Its a need for emotion and care in sports. You can't expect grown men in a competition to smile and wave as they dunk on each other.

Gators123
08-20-2010, 10:46 PM

:nod:

sargon21
08-20-2010, 10:56 PM
My god, the comments after that article are what I wish this forum was.

The league is too soft, and its not about a need for violence in sports. Its a need for emotion and care in sports. You can't expect grown men in a competition to smile and wave as they dunk on each other.

:clap:

Mane
08-20-2010, 10:57 PM
way too soft.

BeantownBill
08-20-2010, 11:06 PM
Whether it’s Kendrick Perkins in the NBA’s Eastern Conference Finals or some 12-year-old hothead playing pickup during his lunch break, basketball is by nature a game of emotion, confrontation and, sometimes, anger. So it’s unavoidable that games will sometimes turn into Fight Club scenes, whether it’s the millionaires doing their jobs or the rec-leaguers doing it for pride.

Still, it seems this summer tensions are extra high. Already we’ve seen multiple incidents jump off during international “friendly” exhibitions leading up to this month’s FIBA World Championship — including Carlos Arroyo slapping an opponent during a Puerto Rico/Mexico game, and yesterday’s Serbia/Greece brawl. During that fight, Serbian star Nenad Krstic (OKC Thunder) threw several punches and then threw a chair. He was taken into police custody and held overnight, but sources believe FIBA will slap Krstic with a suspension of less than five games.

Had Krstic gone off like that during an NBA game, he would have been suspended for the rest of the season, or depending on when the brawl took place in the schedule, been given at least a 60 or 70-game ban. It could be seen as the only fair punishment, since Ron Artest was suspended 70-plus games following the Pacers/Pistons brawl in 2004.

Was there any difference between Krstic’s actions and Artest’s actions? You could say Artest was worse because he actually went after a fan and incited a riot that got the fans involved, but Artest also didn’t throw any objects intended to maim like Krstic’s chair-toss. Bottom line, both players went temporarily insane and were out of control, creating a dangerous situation for everyone involved.

So why such a discrepancy in punishments by the basketball governing bodies? The first reason is obvious: Krstic is never going to play 82 FIBA games — let alone 82 FIBA games in one season — so the scale by which you can punish him is different. (Although he could be given a lifetime ban.)

The second reason isn’t so clear. Is it because the NBA is too strict on players for behavior with which FIBA is more lenient? Does FIBA have a better understanding that basketball players sometimes lose control and are therefore more forgiving? Or is the NBA’s aim to create a fan-friendly product making the league softer in regards to what is deemed unacceptable?
http://dimemag.com/2010/08/is-the-nba-too-soft/

I wish it was still like it was in the 80's a few more hard fouls and dust ups aint gunna kill anybody.That Kristic fight was weak though them dudes did nothing but flop around a throw a few slaps lol. I agree about the NBA maybe being to child friendly but I watched ball as a kid and seeing a basketball fight is not too bad,look at hockey and pro wrestling and video games ect

That's because men play hockey, and while I'll admit they're phenomenal athletes and physically gifted, basketball is played by and large by women. Except for the WNBA, those dudes are downright frightening.

BeantownBill
08-20-2010, 11:17 PM
I would put this out there,could be a black white thing.White hockey players fight its tough beer drinkin Canadian boys just throwin a few haymakers.When its NBA its seen as "Thugs" being immature,double standard

The difference is hockey players can actually throw punches. Your analogy is flawed and frankly, somewhat racist. Georges Laraque would probably disagree with you. There is a word for that type of physical player in the NHL, too .. they're called goons. I doubt you'll ever hear Sidney Crosby referred to as a 'tough, beer-drinkin' Canadian boy' ;)

Khalifa21
08-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Yes, the NBA is too soft nowadays.

Just go back and watch any game tape from the 80's and 90's and then watch the all three referee's blow their whistle as Durant or Kobe are breathed on as they drive to the rim.

spreadeagle
08-20-2010, 11:34 PM
The difference is hockey players can actually throw punches. Your analogy is flawed and frankly, somewhat racist. Georges Laraque would probably disagree with you. There is a word for that type of physical player in the NHL, too .. they're called goons. I doubt you'll ever hear Sidney Crosby referred to as a 'tough, beer-drinkin' Canadian boy' ;)

If it was Troy Murphy not Ron Artest who jumped in the crowd during that huge brawl a few yrs back he would have got half the time Artest did. Just the way things go still.Sad

spreadeagle
08-20-2010, 11:36 PM
That's because men play hockey, and while I'll admit they're phenomenal athletes and physically gifted, basketball is played by and large by women. Except for the WNBA, those dudes are downright frightening.

"Basketball is played by and large by women." :confused: :speechless:

Wade>You
08-20-2010, 11:38 PM
I think the difference is the NBA has a perceived image problem where it's (black) thugs who run the sport. In international leagues, the league isn't dominated by blacks. I think it's terrible, but that's what it comes down to. At least in the NBA.

But the Artest comparison is a terrible one, because Artest had a history and he actually deserved whatever was coming to him. You can't punch a fan.

spreadeagle
08-20-2010, 11:42 PM
I think the difference is the NBA has a perceived image problem where it's (black) thugs who run the sport. In international leagues, the league isn't dominated by blacks. I think it's terrible, but that's what it comes down to. At least in the NBA.

But the Artest comparison is a terrible one, because Artest had a history and he actually deserved whatever was coming to him. You can't punch a fan.

Yup like when they implemented the dress code cause too many guys were dressing like "Thugs" NBA is trying to get rid of that image as much as possible and fighting goes against that

Sadds The Gr8
08-20-2010, 11:46 PM
NBA is wayyyy too soft nowdays.

spreadeagle
08-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Im not for fighting ,a few lil scraps here n there maybe but the one step on the court from guys on the bench rule "during a fight" and there suspended is SO stupid.I think less touchy fouls,let the guys talk back and forth without giving them a T..but also players need to complain to refs less that is really starting to bug me

Hawkeye15
08-20-2010, 11:50 PM
its way softer now. Stop bringing up race, that is pointless. The NFL, MLB, and many other sports have a huge portion of african americans, and they suffer from less image problem.
Race has nothing to do with it. The league went soft when they instituted the no hand check rule to raise scoring, due to the skill level of the current players falling. It went soft when Ron Artest decided to run into the stands and the NBA had no choice but to act. It went soft when they broke up flagrants into 1-2. It went soft when Stu and co. decided to not allow you to touch a guy passing thru the lane.
Basically, there are all kinds of reasons. The teams now would lose to the bad boys in 5 games in the finals. Period.
Drop race now. The league was just as black in 1985 as it is now.

netsgiantsyanks
08-20-2010, 11:50 PM
"Basketball is played by and large by women." :confused: :speechless:

it was a joke. he means basketball is played by a whole bunch of *******. and the wnba is run by man-looking women. well, i hope thats what he meant

D Roses Bulls
08-20-2010, 11:53 PM
it is too soft and thats why most players today couldnt of made it back in the 90's playing in the nba

Hellcrooner
08-20-2010, 11:58 PM
id swear Petrovic, Radja,Paspalj; Kukoc, Volkov, Marciulonis, Rick Smits, Deleft Schrmepf palyed in the "old Days" and didt it well ? .

Dirk, Pau, Peja, Parker, Manyu, Ming, Bogut, Marc g etc woudlahve had no trouble to make the league in the 80s or 90s.

_KB24_
08-20-2010, 11:58 PM
I think society as a whole is becoming "soft". Back in the day you could slap the kid and have a good ole rumble (summer of 95 at Douglas Park :D) and not get in trouble. Nowadays you can point a finger in an argument and it will be called harassment. So, the answer is yes, and it's really sad.

Hellcrooner
08-21-2010, 12:00 AM
its way softer now. Stop bringing up race, that is pointless. The NFL, MLB, and many other sports have a huge portion of african americans, and they suffer from less image problem.
Race has nothing to do with it. The league went soft when they instituted the no hand check rule to raise scoring, due to the skill level of the current players falling. It went soft when Ron Artest decided to run into the stands and the NBA had no choice but to act. It went soft when they broke up flagrants into 1-2. It went soft when Stu and co. decided to not allow you to touch a guy passing thru the lane.
Basically, there are all kinds of reasons. The teams now would lose to the bad boys in 5 games in the finals. Period.

but it was not as "gangsta" and 70% of the players had gone trough the 4 years of College.
How many have been the 4 years in college noe? 12%????

I think Image tarted to go to hell when NBA deided to asimilate Nba with Rap and Gangsta Culture. they hyped that conection in the late 90s and created a full generation of thugs. When stern realized it was too late to go back.

_KB24_
08-21-2010, 12:00 AM
id swear Petrovic, Radja,Paspalj; Kukoc, Volkov, Marciulonis, Rick Smits, Deleft Schrmepf palyed in the "old Days" and didt it well ? .

Dirk, Pau, Peja, Parker, Manyu, Ming, Bogut, Marc g etc woudlahve had no trouble to make the league in the 80s or 90s.

Dirk and Yao are maybe the only exceptions in that list due to Yao's height and Dirk's versatilty and offensive greatness. The rest would have a VERY tough time trying to sustain their place in the NBA. And I watch Pau play just as much you, no way would he be an all-star in the 80's & 90's.

spreadeagle
08-21-2010, 12:05 AM

Well I would argue That the NBA has a strict no fighting policy because its a predominantly African American league,with a predominantly white audience. and there afraid of the image that fighting would create.To say race has nothing to do with anything in the NBA is silly.Lets be honest please

_KB24_
08-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Well I would argue That the NBA has a strict no fighting policy because its a predominantly African American league,with a predominantly white audience. and there afraid of the image that fighting would create.To say race has nothing to do with anything in the NBA is silly.Lets be honest please

That's ridiculous. 98% of hockey fans are white and it's nothing but fights. Baseball fans are predominately white as well and they have a good 3-5 fights a year.

Hellcrooner
08-21-2010, 12:12 AM
Dirk and Yao are maybe the only exceptions in that list due to Yao's height and Dirk's versatilty and offensive greatness. The rest would have a VERY tough time trying to sustain their place in the NBA. And I watch Pau play just as much you, no way would he be an all-star in the 80's & 90's.

he is b no means a worse player tan TOm Chambers so, yes he woudl have been equally efective.

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 12:15 AM

I honestly don't care to continue this. There was not a policy 20 years ago, when the league had the same percentage race wise. Why is it different now?
And quite honestly, if this thread turns into a race topic, it will be shut down

spreadeagle
08-21-2010, 12:15 AM
That's ridiculous. 98% of hockey fans are white and it's nothing but fights. Baseball fans are predominately white as well and they have a good 3-5 fights a year.

Its not a secret David Stern has tried to clean up the Allen Iverson type "Thug" image of the NBA for years,that would include these guys fighting as well which leads to strict calls by refs to prevent tempers from flaring .Someone agree with me,I know im correct lol

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 12:16 AM

thank you. Its the league perception as a whole. It has nothing to do with race. I, for one, am fine with altercations on the NBA floor. The reason it changed, is because at one point it became about fan protection

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 12:17 AM
drop race
NOW

spreadeagle
08-21-2010, 12:19 AM
I honestly don't care to continue this. There was not a policy 20 years ago, when the league had the same percentage race wise. Why is it different now?
And quite honestly, if this thread turns into a race topic, it will be shut down

The NBA didnt have there players being in gang DVD's called stop snitching"cough Carmelo Anthony" in the 80's and tattoo's over there entire body and being in Rap video's.Way different culture. And for the record im coverd in tattoo's myself and love rap music,I just feel this is how Stern thinks

Hellcrooner
08-21-2010, 12:31 AM

Because of what i said, You didnt see Mj or Bird Or Magic Johnson with a baseball cap wiht Rapper Clothers and their body full of tatoos yelling some unintiligible gangsta chatter.

Nba decided to Link the league with Rap and Gangsta image in the late 90s and it Blowed in their faces when kids that would later play in the league took it too far. When Stern reacted and tried to put some order wiht the dress code etec it was to late.

Notice how i dont link this with RACE at ALL since there are white, black and even EURO players acting Gangsta these days.

Btw teh fact that the league is filled with one and doe and foremr HS to nba directly players is not helping wiht their image either, a ton of them can barely speak(/balck or white no matter wich race) is no wonder peopel se them as thugs .

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 12:45 AM
The NBA didnt have there players being in gang DVD's called stop snitching"cough Carmelo Anthony" in the 80's and tattoo's over there entire body and being in Rap video's.Way different culture. And for the record im coverd in tattoo's myself and love rap music,I just feel this is how Stern thinks

Stern has nothing to do with this. I will agree, that when you unleash young men making unheard amounts of money, with minimal education in many cases, and then cover them with tatoos, you get the natural audience that doesn't understand their actions/complaints.
But it has nothing to do with race.
Nothing has changed but the attempted image. The influx of youth, and the increase in salary, have defined the short leash the league is in.
Nothing more about race. Nobody on this site cares about what color, creed, or religion you are. This is a board of discussion

Iodine
08-21-2010, 12:46 AM
If it was Troy Murphy not Ron Artest who jumped in the crowd during that huge brawl a few yrs back he would have got half the time Artest did. Just the way things go still.Sad

Awesome, reverse racism!
edit: sorry hawkeye, didnt see the previous post :(

spreadeagle
08-21-2010, 12:57 AM
Also I guess its assumed that when your playing for your country players are more competitive ,gunna get more heated and fights may start easiar

_KB24_
08-21-2010, 01:00 AM
he is b no means a worse player tan TOm Chambers so, yes he woudl have been equally efective.

Chambers was a tough and an aggressive player. He took it to the hoop as strong as anyone against the likes of the great Boston defenses and Knicks. Gasol had his innocence taken away by Tony Allen who is nearly a foot smaller than him.....

Hellcrooner
08-21-2010, 01:10 AM
Chambers was a tough and an aggressive player. He took it to the hoop as strong as anyone against the likes of the great Boston defenses and Knicks. Gasol had his innocence taken away by Tony Allen who is nearly a foot smaller than him.....

whatever you say dude.

i shoudl ahve learned ot not discuss seriously witn anone wiht a 24, 8, mamba or wahever thing int their Name.

_KB24_
08-21-2010, 02:46 AM
whatever you say dude.

i shoudl ahve learned ot not discuss seriously witn anone wiht a 24, 8, mamba or wahever thing int their Name.

And I've learned not discuss with hairy European man who love to act feminine.....

I can take shots as well but did that get us anywhere? :eyebrow:

Pau would not be an All-Star during the 80's unless he toughened up to a LARGE extent. Sorry.

krest213
08-21-2010, 03:01 AM
basketball is a soft game period

spreadeagle
08-21-2010, 09:59 AM
basketball is a soft game period

its a great game period

mikealike305
08-21-2010, 10:21 AM
the NBA is to soft, but they have to be to hold a good image... last thing they want is next time a kid gets into a fight during a pick up game at the park is for the moms to blame it on the NBA. so for that reason i understand why the NBA is strict on fighting, but i would like to see them stop calling some ticky tac fouls.

BenFrank
08-21-2010, 10:34 AM
I agree with those who feel the NBA have special interest in certain players who are mainly black (A.I. like) and don't want that thugs image... but the Fighters in Hockey and Baseball look more like thugs out there than the one's in the nba... those guys have brawls.. and it's perfectly fine... actually a lot of people go to those games for those reason's alone.. but to answer the question.. Yes the NBA is very soft.. and peranoid

spreadeagle
08-21-2010, 11:07 AM
I agree with those who feel the NBA have special interest in certain players who are mainly black (A.I. like) and don't want that thugs image... but the Fighters in Hockey and Baseball look more like thugs out there than the one's in the nba... those guys have brawls.. and it's perfectly fine... actually a lot of people go to those games for those reason's alone.. but to answer the question.. Yes the NBA is very soft.. and peranoid

Great post 100 percent agree

Russollini
08-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Bring on the hand checks and the hard fouls! Bring back the Bad Boys. This is issue was addressed when the league wanted to see scoring increase and clear the lane for thugs like Lebron (yes I am a Heat Fan and I called him a thug). He would never have been able to barrel through the lane in the good ole' days. You can not even put a hand on somebody so it is hard to defend someone that is bull rushing through the lane. In the 80s and early 90s you had to work your way to the net, and develop a real good fade (see Jordan). He had to do that because if you did not you would have a hand in your gut/face. Now days it is about isolation and zone defense-yuck. Bring back the hard foul and make basketball a contact sport again.

I will add this....There are times I turn the damn game off because they whistle ever 2 seconds. It breaks up the continuity of the game. I do not want to watch any sport where 20-30 points are score or can be scored while taking a free shot. That is straight garbage! How many times do we here that free throws were the difference in the game? The NBA has many issues and this is one of them. Go back to the old rules and let players learn how to really play.

D.Rose#1
08-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The refs need to let the players play!!!!!!!