PDA

View Full Version : Oden not ready to start the season?

Hawkeye15
08-20-2010, 08:41 AM
With roughly six weeks left before the Trail Blazers start training camp, the playing status of Greg Oden remains as unclear as ever.

Oden continues to rehabilitate his surgically repaired left knee and the Blazers insist things are progressing according to schedule. But at the same time, the organization is so intent on keeping once sky-high expectations low for the injury-prone center, officials refuse to say that Oden will be ready to play by Oct. 26, when the team opens the season against the Phoenix Suns.

"I don't really want to put any time frame on it," Blazers general manager Rich Cho said, regarding Oden's return. "I don't want any expectations out there. And I don't want to put any pressure on Greg. The last thing I want him to do is come back earlier (than he should) because people are expecting it."

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp

Slimsim
08-20-2010, 09:00 AM
I Don't think Greg Will Live up to be the Number 1 overall pick. If your the Blazers do you give him a contract extension and hope for the best or do you move on.

Antipod
08-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Hope Griffin won`t have the same luck Oden has :(

29$JerZ
08-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Poor kid is going to be labeled Sam Bowie 2.0 permanently if he has another injury plagued season.

The Miami Cheat
08-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Hope Griffin won`t have the same luck Oden has :(

x2

Brooklyn Mets
08-20-2010, 09:46 AM
portland has to be regretting taking oden over durant

spreadeagle
08-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Raptors need a center like its goin out of style they should make a play for him,Portand would take a lotto pic and someone for for him at this point I bet, Maybe rookie Ed Davis and a future first rounder and a change of scenery with less pressure would prob do him good.Its not like Durant just turned out to be pretty good,he turned out to be a top 3 player in the NBA thats a lot for Oden to have to be compared to.

Avenged
08-20-2010, 10:17 AM
At this point, they should definitely take their time with Oden. You got to feel Oden wants to play as soon as the first buzzer in the season starts to prove everyone wrong, but at this point you just can't risk it. Just look at the Rudy situation out in Portland, they don't want that to happen again this time to their promising center.

xbrackattackx
08-20-2010, 10:21 AM
I hope Oden has a better season then any other Center not named Andrew Bynum.

Avenged
08-20-2010, 10:24 AM

If Oden has a better season than any other Center not named Bynum.. That would mean Bynum would be playing better than Dwight :D

.. not happening though .. :sigh:

macc
08-20-2010, 10:35 AM
I hope Oden is healthy and successful this year. We need some more elite bigs in this league. I don't like seeing players go down to injury.

xbrackattackx
08-20-2010, 10:37 AM
If Oden has a better season than any other Center not named Bynum.. That would mean Bynum would be playing better than Dwight :D

.. not happening though .. :sigh:

I honestly thought with him coming in he was gonna give dwight a run for his money when he started then, BAM, Injury after Injury.

BOSTON617
08-20-2010, 10:44 AM
poor kid i mean i really hope this issue is behind him

fadedmario
08-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Poor kid is going to be labeled Sam Bowie 2.0 permanently if he has another injury plagued season.

He already is. Durant is going to be the best player in the league in a few years.

xbrackattackx
08-20-2010, 10:49 AM
poor kid i mean i really hope this issue is behind him

Yea i know, dude is Nice and Funny as crap you can't help but root for the kid.

D Roses Bulls
08-20-2010, 02:21 PM
The Portland Trail Blazers likely won't have to worry about their fans having high expectations on center Greg Oden's return, that dream has been crushed too many times, but nonetheless new General Manager Rich Cho said yesterday that he's not putting any timelines on Greg's return and that he's not trying to rush Greg through anything.

Oden is recovering from a fractured the patella in his left knee, and according to Cho is progressing as expected.

"I don't really want to put any time frame on it," Cho said to Joe Freeman of The Oregonian. "I don't want any expectations out there. And I don't want to put any pressure on Greg. The last thing I want him to do is come back earlier (than he should) because people are expecting it."

"I don't know if he'll be ready to go full-speed ahead when training camp starts, but our hope is that he'll be ready to participate in training camp," Cho said. "I don't know if that will include full contact (work). It depends on his progress."

"He's on track for everything," Cho said. "Greg is working hard and we're pleased with his rehab efforts."

Oden, who was the top pick in in the 2007 NBA Draft, is actually in the final year of his contract. The Blazers do hold a team option year for one more season and have until October 31st to pick that option up or Oden will become an unrestricted free agent in July.

Oden has played in 82 games in his three year NBA career, missing the entire 2007 season due to injury. Oden played in 61 games in 2008 and just 21 games in 2009.

Kevin Durant, who was the number 2 overall selection, signed a lucrative $85 million, five-year contract extension with his Oklahoma City team that kicks in after next season. The Blazers and Oden have not had any talks about a contract extension.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17125

I honestly think we can now say Oden is a bust. he is too injury prone and will never be able to have a effect on the game at all.

xbrackattackx
08-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Yea or we could say he is still young and could improve. Why is everyone so negative rookies have been injured, I guess Blake Griffin is a bust also.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-20-2010, 02:27 PM
He could have been nice too.

Defensive potential to be great and could use both hands.

king4day
He gets 3 strikes.

Microfracture
Knee
TBD

Barring a major setback, I have no doubt that Portland will pick up next years option. He will get scooped up super quick if he is an UFA.

Raps18-19 Champ
Yea or we could say he is still young and could improve. Why is everyone so negative rookies have been injured, I guess Blake Griffin is a bust also.

He's been in the league 3 years and been injured each year.

Gators123
08-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Hope he comes back healthy. He can be a great player in the league.

shep33
08-20-2010, 02:32 PM
It sucks, he was playing pretty well last season until his injury. Physically he still looks good even after his rookie year injury, so I don't expect this to hinder his athleticism.

Biggest negative for Oden is that by not playing, you can't really learn the NBA game to its fullest. Last season he still picked up way too many fouls, averaging around 4/game. That stuff only improves with him playing, and really he can be a guy who averages 16 and 12 in this league because of his size and athleticism. I mean if he can average 11 and 9 with 2.3 bpg last year in 24 minutes, the guy once he knows how to handle his fouls can pretty much dominate in a league without any big men.

But as always, health is an issue. So we'll see.

Iodine
08-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Dude makes bill waltons feet cringe

That being said when healthy he is a top tier defender at center

Geargo Wallace
08-20-2010, 02:36 PM
come to Toronto *****

D Roses Bulls
08-20-2010, 02:40 PM

he has been in the league for 3 years now. what exactly has he done? how many games has he played? look i wasnt on psd when he was drafted, but in my earlier posts i have called him a bust. he reminded me coming out of college of a poor mans mutumbo. I didn't see how his game would translate into college and i still believe it iwll never. he will be looked as for potential for the next couple years and thats hwy he will be in the league, but thats it. ill even do a sig bet with someone that he will not be no where what he was projected to be.

slapnutz69
08-20-2010, 02:54 PM
i hope him and Yao and all the other injured big men can come back and be healthy, need to see them back in the league forsure!!

ChiSox219
08-20-2010, 02:54 PM
he has been in the league for 3 years now. what exactly has he done? how many games has he played? look i wasnt on psd when he was drafted, but in my earlier posts i have called him a bust. he reminded me coming out of college of a poor mans mutumbo. I didn't see how his game would translate into college and i still believe it iwll never. he will be looked as for potential for the next couple years and thats hwy he will be in the league, but thats it. ill even do a sig bet with someone that he will not be no where what he was projected to be.

Oden was an animal when he was on the court last season. There is no question that he has/had the talent to be a great player even if he didn't progress.

The problem is, like many young bigs, he gets into foul trouble.

Labeling him a bust...I don't see how you can be a bust because you had a series of freak injuries. When he plays, he performs at an extremely high level.

He's 22 years old, back off and give him some time.

SA5195
08-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Damn, that sucks. Hope he's healthy and can play, sooner than later.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Oden has the talent no doubt. I personally am willing to give him a little more time, but I am not blaming anyone for basically writing him off at this point. Big men who suffer various injuries while young don't typically get healthy out of nowhere.

Antipod
08-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Let`s hope, for the sake of this league he`ll be ok, `cause there aren't so many great true big men left

Hustla23
08-20-2010, 03:01 PM
I think regardless of whether Oden can fulfill his potential or not, he most likely won't be a top 5 player in the league like Durant currently is.

Hopefully he recovers well enough to not let his career go to waste.

DamnGoat
08-20-2010, 03:04 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17125

I honestly think we can now say Oden is a bust. he is too injury prone and will never be able to have a effect on the game at all.
When he's played, especially last season he's been very good. Calling someone a bust and calling someone injury prone are two different things IMO.

Give him a break. He's young enough to have a good career if he can ever stay on the court.

Klivlend
08-20-2010, 03:15 PM
I really wanna see this guy make it. Get healthy Greg!

Kakaroach
08-20-2010, 03:25 PM
We're all pulling for him, but man that must be a very serious injury to put him out for almost a year.

xbrackattackx
08-20-2010, 04:16 PM

He's been in the league 3 years and been injured each year.

Injuries don't equal bust, Talent does. Such as Kwame Brown he played and he just sucked, Bust. Jay Willams had a injury not a bust.

blackjack_119
08-20-2010, 04:36 PM
I don't really think that this is that big of a story. All that is happening is prominent people in the organization are brushing off the junior writer for the Oregonian. It's 6 weeks before camp and Oden is already running. Going from running to basketball activities in six weeks shouldn't be that difficult. I'm glad that he decided to play with a more athletic build (280lbs) as opposed to two seasons ago where he was just trying to get as big as possible (315lbs.) There should be a lot less stress on the knees.

The Raven
08-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Things arent looking good at all for Oden. The way i see it, i doubt he's ever gonna get over the injuries that seem to still be nagging him

Hawkeye15
08-20-2010, 04:46 PM
I don't really think that this is that big of a story. All that is happening is prominent people in the organization are brushing off the junior writer for the Oregonian. It's 6 weeks before camp and Oden is already running. Going from running to basketball activities in six weeks shouldn't be that difficult. I'm glad that he decided to play with a more athletic build (280lbs) as opposed to two seasons ago where he was just trying to get as big as possible (315lbs.) There should be a lot less stress on the knees.

for sure. With Shaq being way over the hill, and Yao the only man with true size, there is no need for Oden to carry all that muscle.

Tony_Starks
08-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Im already giving the Oden the Andrew Bynum treatment... Im resigned to the fact that I will never see a healthy, productive season from him. Actually worse than Bynum because at least he's allstar form when he is healthy and he's available when it matters...

Sorry to say but for Oden its a wrap already, you're looking at Sam Bowie Jr.

spreadeagle
08-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Im already giving the Oden the Andrew Bynum treatment... Im resigned to the fact that I will never see a healthy, productive season from him. Actually worse than Bynum because at least he's allstar form when he is healthy and he's available when it matters...

Sorry to say but for Oden its a wrap already, you're looking at Sam Bowie Jr.

Ha no way he was good when healthy last year,I bet there just gunna rest him so this doesnt happen again,better safe then sorry approach.Takes big men like 5 years to develop give the man a break..pardon the pun

Tony_Starks
08-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Ha no way he was good when healthy last year,I bet there just gunna rest him so this doesnt happen again,better safe then sorry approach.Takes big men like 5 years to develop give the man a break..pardon the pun

You're a bit of an optimist my good man. Unfortunately there are two things that don't go very well together: Centers + Bad knees. I would love him to prove me wrong I mean maybe he's just had a string of really bad luck but it appears the kids body is as fragile as a retired old man.

Iodine
08-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Oden when healthy ***** all over Bynum on D

spreadeagle
08-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Being drafted number one has like 10 times the amount of pressure as being picked number 2.If I was in the draft I would not want to be #1..id rather go 2-10 and not have that burden.Some guys love it but Oden seems like a gentle giant he seems depressed

cheetos185
08-20-2010, 07:42 PM

if oden has better season than dwight howard than portland will kill lakers in playoffs

Avenged
08-20-2010, 09:18 PM
if oden has better season than dwight howard than portland will kill lakers in playoffs

Probably, but if Bynum has a better season than Dwight then Portland has no chance whatsoever. :)

KNIXX46
08-21-2010, 02:00 AM
that sucks...what else is new??

nanablvd
08-21-2010, 02:05 AM
if he can't finish the season strong that will be a huge disappointment and the public will sort of give up on him, and he knows that.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-21-2010, 02:35 AM
Injuries don't equal bust, Talent does. Such as Kwame Brown he played and he just sucked, Bust. Jay Willams had a injury not a bust.

Not necessarily.

I would consider the careers of players like TMac or G.Hill a bust considering what they should have accomplished.

Also, what is the good of being talented if you aren't on the court? It would be considered a bust if you can't perform with the talent you have.

jackdawson
08-21-2010, 02:53 AM
I hope all the best for Oden. I still believe he can be the best center in the league if he stays healthy.

jiggin
08-21-2010, 07:22 AM
this is just the blazers not wanting to set themselves up for disappointment and national media spotlighting greg struggling again. That is all that is reported about him...his problems, so they don't want to give anyone or the fan base a reason to be disappointed again.

yet...the media did it again, based on them NOT PROVIDING INFO. LOL....awesome

They already said they were talking that approach before the summer even started. They have seen it before. People are so disconnected with the blazers in the rest of the country that all they read and hear about is the really bad stuff. The fan base in portland is so HUGE that it isn't 'easy' on them to read constant info and get their hopes up only to have big disappointment again. Again, they have been through his before, and apparently learned from it.

icej
08-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Imagine Miller at pg, Roy at sg and Durant at SF.. Wow. -- If only.

netsgiantsyanks
08-21-2010, 07:41 AM
Not necessarily.

I would consider the careers of players like TMac or G.Hill a bust considering what they should have accomplished.

Also, what is the good of being talented if you aren't on the court? It would be considered a bust if you can't perform with the talent you have.

:facepalm:really? and you say whats the good of being talented if you aren't on the court?? well, maybe they CANT give their 100% talent because they're not able to because of injury

jiggin
08-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Imagine Miller at pg, Roy at sg and Durant at SF.. Wow. -- If only.

not enough shots in a game for those two to share.

that is what I can't wait to see...how shots are distributed down in Miami. Someone is going to lose ball time...and how will they react?

spreadeagle
08-21-2010, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=Raps08-09 Champ;14642838]Not necessarily.

Also, what is the good of being talented if you aren't on the court? It would be considered a bust if you can't perform with the talent you have.[/QUO

Grant Hill?????????? if by bust you mean Hall of fame'r then yes Hill was a a bust:facepalm:

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Not necessarily.

cmon now

blazerman
08-21-2010, 01:53 PM

sad but true, for the love of god dont let that happen.:mad:

spreadeagle
08-21-2010, 01:59 PM
sad but true, for the love of god dont let that happen.:mad:

Would blazers consider trading him? maybe for a lotto pic at this point?

Hawkeye15
08-21-2010, 02:01 PM

he has far more value than he could bring back in a trade. Basically speaking, the Blazers probably can't get much for him right now, and if he can somehow get healthy, his value would be huge.
If the Blazers trade him away, and he gets healthy, and starts playing like we all know he could, the Blazers look stupid.
Not happening

Red Hot Rolllin
08-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Bringing back Greg early is not the answer if he needs more time, we need him for the long haul in P-Town not for opening night.

As a Blazer fan, I'm still very pumped we have him and look forward to him finishing what he had started last year. Sam Bowie 2.0 will go away only if he can get back to full speed again... and a pair of knee pads.

Mplsman
08-21-2010, 02:06 PM
The curse continues... Roy and Durant could've been competing for a ring by now.

spreadeagle
08-21-2010, 02:06 PM
he has far more value than he could bring back in a trade. Basically speaking, the Blazers probably can't get much for him right now, and if he can somehow get healthy, his value would be huge.
If the Blazers trade him away, and he gets healthy, and starts playing like we all know he could, the Blazers look stupid.
Not happening

Well a 3-5 lotto pick in a deep draft for a guy who should have been drafted # 2 a few years ago and cant stay healthy would be a sweet deal for the Blazers IMO.Hes a huge gamble

blazerman
08-21-2010, 02:07 PM

Kinda doubt it because he is only 22yrs old and if he does come around healtwaise then Portland is in business for a long time. I personally would rather go down with the ship with GO before I traded him.

So for now no, still believe in him.

spreadeagle
08-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Kinda doubt it because he is only 22yrs old and if he does come around healtwaise then Portland is in business for a long time. I personally would rather go down with the ship with GO before I traded him.

So for now no, still believe in him.

Big if, but hey seems like hes got a lot of ppl routing for him,good luck