PDA

View Full Version : Alan Ashby: lack of commitment on Molina's part

nstojic
08-19-2010, 07:49 PM
very interesting... driving in to work, today... Ashby on the radio talking to bob mccowan... both concerned with Molina's inability or unwillingness to block balls in the dirt... essentially, they said that he does many things well but that he's lazy when it comes to getting down in front of the ball...

i know we're talking about a backup catcher BUT... if JPA is the starter, next season... maybe Chavez or some other guy would be more suitable...

here's the interview in Podcast form.. the first segment is Ashby (first 16 minutes)
http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/PTS-2010-08-19,-3-pm.mp3

La11
08-19-2010, 08:07 PM
They both dont know what their talking about, so dont even bother to what they say because it is a waste of time!

nstojic
08-19-2010, 08:15 PM
They both dont know what their talking about, so dont even bother to what they say because it is a waste of time!

with zero 'argument' you make a pretty strong case BUT mccowan may be bogus but Ashby is a former MLB catcher... i think he'd 'notice' a thing or two about the tendencies of an MLB catcher...

bomber0104
08-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Molina does seem to let a few balls go past him mainly due to lack for hustle but he calls such a good game and throws the ball well so that makes up for it

Bjaxn45
08-19-2010, 09:03 PM
If you guys watch most of the games, this is not new. He's been doing it all year. Say what you want about his ability to "call games" and his gun for an arm, this guy shows no willingness to block pitches.

It's almost like he's too cocky. He'll get a Morrow slider in the dirt and pick it clean most of the time. When he misses he looks like an idiot though. It's only becoming more obvious now because it's starting to factor in to the results of games.

Eagles4Lyfe
08-19-2010, 09:38 PM
i think tablers mentioned this a couple times too during the games..Interesting

The_905
08-19-2010, 11:52 PM

YOU dont know what YOU'RE talking about, so dont even bother to [listen to] what La11 say[s] because it is a waste of time!

D-Train#35
08-20-2010, 02:59 AM
Next year when JPA is up and someone other than Cito calling games you'd have to assume that JPA is getting the bulk of the ABs. Molina would have what, 40-50 games? How many wild pitches are there anyways? Not a huge problem for one more year to keep him around to teach JPA how to call games.

JetLi
08-20-2010, 08:44 AM
I didn't notice it much earlier in the year, but the last few games with Molina getting more catching duty than JP, I also noticed it...or it sure seems that way anyways.

B2theRY
08-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Ashby doesnt know what hes talking about?

umm wasn't he a catcher in the majors?

Molina is the worst out of the molina brothers

mkcavy
08-20-2010, 01:20 PM

I'd like to believe Ashby, a former MLB catcher, has a the ability to notice tendancies such as these. And McCowan has watched enough baseball games over his career that I appreciate his opinion.

Truth is Molina is being lazy. It's been happening all year, and everytime Ashby mentions it (sometimes he even gets fixated on the subject). Molina has pure catching talents, and sometimes that leds to him trusting his talent more than making an effort.

If Buck isn't coming back next year, I wouldn't even think twice about having Molina as the backup to JPA. He could teach the kid a lot about controlling a game from behind the plate.

Bjaxn45
08-20-2010, 01:40 PM
I'd like to believe Ashby, a former MLB catcher, has a the ability to notice tendancies such as these. And McCowan has watched enough baseball games over his career that I appreciate his opinion.

Truth is Molina is being lazy. It's been happening all year, and everytime Ashby mentions it (sometimes he even gets fixated on the subject). Molina has pure catching talents, and sometimes that leds to him trusting his talent more than making an effort.

If Buck isn't coming back next year, I wouldn't even think twice about having Molina as the backup to JPA. He could teach the kid a lot about controlling a game from behind the plate.

Really? I think that's nuts. If he's being lazy and not showing effort on these balls in the dirt, what kind of message does that send to JPA or anybody else? Molina can mentor all he wants but if you can't lead by example, I don't think that's beneficial.

Bob_at_york
08-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Molina does seem to let a few balls go past him mainly due to lack for hustle but he calls such a good game and throws the ball well so that makes up for it

i have noticed him missing more balls lately. I am not surprised that Ashby said this.

Asham
08-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Jose Molina doesnt go down for balls because he needs to save that energy for that base-stealing ability he has

boilerguy2412
08-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Sure he's missed a few but your only seeing it now because he's playing everyday. I would love to have him back next year.