PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies getting trade offers for Xavier Henry

Swashcuff
08-19-2010, 07:33 PM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/aug/19/griz-get-trade-offers-for-henry/

The Grizzlies have fielded several trade offers from teams looking to acquire the rights to unsigned rookie Xavier Henry interest mostly derived from a contract stalemate between the team and the NBA's 12th overall draft pick.

But Griz owner Michael Heisley insisted Wednesday that the team is only interested in signing Henry to a deal that will have him play in FedExForum this season.

"I'm not looking to trade him just to trade him," Heisley said. "I'm not angry with him. I expect him to play. He's going to have an opportunity to play a lot, and we need him. So my reaction to this is I'm expecting we'll get something done and he'll play for us this season."

Teams can pay players between 80 and 120 percent of an amount set by the league's rookie scale. The Griz have offered Henry 100 percent of that salary with the extra 20 percent tied to performance-based bonuses.

The Grizzlies' proposed incentive package includes:

Participation in summer league.

A two-week workout program with the team's training staff.

Satisfying one of the following: play in NBA rookie/sophomore game during All-Star weekend, or earn an all-rookie selection, or average 15 minutes in at least 70 games.

Greivis Vasquez, the Grizzlies' late first-round pick (28th overall), also hasn't signed for the same reason. Vasquez, however, put aside his contract situation at the behest of his agent, Herb Rudoy, and played for the Griz at the Las Vegas Summer League in July.

Henry's agent, Arn Tellem, advised his client to skip summer league and drew a line in the sand.

Tellem told the Associated Press earlier this week he'd accept incentives based on conditioning and summer league. Tellem argues that only one player out of more than 450 since the rookie salary scale was instituted in 1995 has agreed to a performance bonus.

"Basic fairness and equality are fundamental aspects of every positive organization-player relationship, and those concepts are totally absent from the Grizzlies' current proposal to Xavier," Tellem told the AP while adding that no other team in this draft had asked a player to accept a performance incentive.

Heisley disputes Tellem's account of how teams have negotiated rookie-scale deals in the past.

The counter-argument Heisley makes is that he's working within the rules of the collective bargaining agreement negotiated by the league and its players' union that stipulates rookie bonuses are negotiable.

"Isn't it reasonable to think that the 12th pick in the NBA draft can make the rookie team?" Heisley asked. "I think what we're asking for is reasonable."

This is the first time the Grizzlies have attempted to attach performance to rookie bonuses. The team's 2009 first-round picks, Hasheem Thabeet and DeMarre Carroll, only had to agree to a workout program and summer league play to receive 120 percent of their respective rookie scale contracts.

For his part, Henry continues to work out on his own. Henry also sounds as if he's preparing physically and mentally to play anywhere.

"Whatever team I go to, I'm going to try to bring my best," Henry told the AP Tuesday in New York while being photographed for trading cards. "If it is Memphis, I'm still going to try to bring my best even though this contract thing is going on, because I know the coaches have called me, they're saying it's just like the owner and the organization, so it's not them saying we don't want to pay you 120 percent. So I still know my coaches and my teammates want me there, so I'm going to give them my best effort."

An NBA executive said Wednesday that Memphis has exclusive rights to negotiate with Henry until 2013 if he doesn't play basketball this season. If Henry signs overseas or with any other league, the Grizzlies' rights continue in perpetuity provided that they tender Henry qualifying offers in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement.

"I'm not trying to make an example of (Henry)," Heisley said. "I'm not trying to make an issue of this, either. We drafted him because we think he can help us. I'm expecting him to play."

Krzyzewskiville
08-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Wilson Chandler and a protected 2011 First Round pick for him

zambo4president
08-19-2010, 07:43 PM
I wanted the Bulls to try and draft him so badly. We need X not Rudy. Taj and a future 1st for X

minervamob
08-19-2010, 07:52 PM
I wanted the Bulls to try and draft him so badly. We need X not Rudy. Taj and a future 1st for X

Why would you give up taj? Are you not aware of his value? Give em jj if they want, if not then the roster is fine.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 07:52 PM
Raptors offer Calderon, Wright, Miami's 1st and Raptors protected 1st round pick for Thabeet and Henry.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Why would you give up taj? Are you not aware of his value? Give em jj if they want, if not then the roster is fine.

Taj is 25 years old and they just signed Boozer.

They also don't have much at the SG position. So it would make sense.

SA5195
08-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Raptors :pray:

ChiSox219
08-19-2010, 08:07 PM
What is Memphis doing? Rookie contracts, even at 120%, are usually the best deals a team could get. Why would they decide to pull this stunt for Xavier Henry? I could understand if it was a Sean Williams type but c'mon.

gbrl
08-19-2010, 08:16 PM
the owners trying to be cautious with his money now after giving gay the max

IAmKira
08-19-2010, 08:16 PM
What is Memphis doing? Rookie contracts, even at 120%, are usually the best deals a team could get. Why would they decide to pull this stunt for Xavier Henry? I could understand if it was a Sean Williams type but c'mon.

no wonder those spaniards left the griz! CHEAPOZ

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 08:17 PM

Don't forget that Gasol and Mayo are in for a big pay day. Near $12 mil starting salary a season. Randolph will get his too.

zambo4president
08-19-2010, 08:22 PM

Im extremely aware of Taj's value:laugh2: Jesus christ Im pretty sure your not though. Xavier Henry's very promising and a future tandem in the backcourt of Rose and Henry kills. Taj is going to be a career backup, he's nothing more than a quality big off the bench/defensive stopper.

ChiSox219
08-19-2010, 08:23 PM

no wonder those spaniards left the griz! CHEAPOZ

The difference between the absolute minimum and maximum the Grizzlies can give Henry is ~$600,000.

That's half the veteran's minimum for some players.

Someone needs to be fired because this situation is egregious.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 08:27 PM
The difference between the absolute minimum and maximum the Grizzlies can give Henry is ~$600,000.

That's half the veteran's minimum for some players.

Someone needs to be fired because this situation is egregious.

As much as I agree with you, you have to look at it this way.

The Grizzlies do not generate much money. They have been a failure the last couple of years and they just signed a large contract to 1 player. They have 3 players who are up for big paydays in Mayo, Gasol and Randolph. It just is 600,000 but considering that they even be losing money from owning the Grizzlies, it doesn't come as a surprised.

Niro
08-19-2010, 08:27 PM
i would like him on the warriors

ChiSox219
08-19-2010, 08:35 PM
As much as I agree with you, you have to look at it this way.

The Grizzlies do not generate much money. They have been a failure the last couple of years and they just signed a large contract to 1 player. They have 3 players who are up for big paydays in Mayo, Gasol and Randolph. It just is 600,000 but considering that they even be losing money from owning the Grizzlies, it doesn't come as a surprised.

I do understand that, but if they are so concerned with money, why did they overpay Gay so much in the first place? IMO, he was the most replaceable out of Mayo, Gay, Gasol, and Randolph.

I don't pretend to know anything about college basketball so maybe Henry will be a bust but obviously the Grizzlies thought enough of him to draft him #12. If the team was so concerned with money, knowing they'd give Gay what he wanted, why didn't they just trade down in the draft and get a player for less $$$?

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 08:42 PM
I do understand that, but if they are so concerned with money, why did they overpay Gay so much in the first place? IMO, he was the most replaceable out of Mayo, Gay, Gasol, and Randolph.

I don't pretend to know anything about college basketball so maybe Henry will be a bust but obviously the Grizzlies thought enough of him to draft him #12. If the team was so concerned with money, knowing they'd give Gay what he wanted, why didn't they just trade down in the draft and get a player for less $$$?

Because they need to generate money fast and Gay is the most established out of Mayo, and Gasol while being younger than Randolph. Had they lost Gay, this team would only have moved back.

In drafts, you should usually go for the best player available. That's what they did. I guess they thought they could settle it in the contract but apparently not.

ChiSox219
08-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Because they need to generate money fast and Gay is the most established out of Mayo, and Gasol while being younger than Randolph. Had they lost Gay, this team would only have moved back.

In drafts, you should usually go for the best player available. That's what they did. I guess they thought they could settle it in the contract but apparently not.

Gasol is already better than Gay, by a good margin.

Marc just isn't as flashy as Rudy.

td0tsfinest
08-19-2010, 08:48 PM
I'll gladly take X off the grizzlies' paws. Not only haven't they signed Xavier yet, they haven't signed Greivis Vasquez either.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Gasol is already better than Gay, by a good margin.

Marc just isn't as flashy as Rudy.

Debatable.

And Gasol is 25 while Gay was only 23 when he signed his contract.

Kakaroach
I'm not sure, he may never be their starter but he is a great piece off of their bench. I don't think they should trade him.

Hawkeye15
Corey Brewer and Koufus for him

ChiSox219
08-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Debatable.

And Gasol is 25 while Gay was only 23 when he signed his contract.

I don't think it's debatable but you could try ;)

Gasol's game will be fine as he ages, at this point Gay relies a ton on his athleticism so I'd be more worried about him dropping off at age 30 than Gasol at 32.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 08:57 PM
I don't think it's debatable but you could try ;)

Gasol's game will be fine as he ages, at this point Gay relies a ton on his athleticism so I'd be more worried about him dropping off at age 30 than Gasol at 32.

He's 23. He doesn't really need to worry about his athleticism barring injuries.

Gay averaged close to 20 and 6 the last 3 years while being a legit player on the defensive end. Had he not been playing in the West and he would have made an All Star appearance already.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure, he may never be their starter but he is a great piece off of their bench. I don't think they should trade him.

What happened to ManRam?

ChiSox219
08-19-2010, 08:59 PM
He's 23. He doesn't really need to worry about his athleticism barring injuries.

Gay averaged close to 20 and 6 the last 3 years while being a legit player on the defensive end. Had he not been playing in the West and he would have made an All Star appearance already.

Gasol had a much better season

I'll take him for the next 10 years (or 5/6) over Gay without a second thought.

ManRam
08-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Wilson Chandler and a protected 2011 First Round pick for him

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm surprised you guys are both so willing to give up this much for a guy who has never step foot on an NBA court. Chandler is a good player, a really good player, as is Taj.

I don't get why you'd want to give up them, and a pick for him.

Maybe I'm just not drinking the Xavier cool-aid like the rest of the world.

Swashcuff
08-19-2010, 09:03 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm surprised you guys are both so willing to give up this much for a guy who has never step foot on an NBA court. Chandler is a good player, a really good player, as is Taj.

my thoughts exactly. I mean he's a super talent but its a bit surprising to see fans of a team willing to bail on promising players who have had glimpses of real worth for Henry.

Sports Illustrator
08-19-2010, 09:03 PM

I think Xavier is a very solid player and also will be a great player in the NBA. However, I agree with you in the sense that teams shouldn't be trading so much for Xavier. Sometimes it is worth the risk to trade a lot for a player who never stepped on an NBA floor before, I am not sure if Xavier is that player though. However, I do think he is ready to start. So in reality, the Grizzlies might have not been the best fit for him.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Gasol had a much better season

I'll take him for the next 10 years (or 5/6) over Gay without a second thought.

Gay still has a lot more growing to do. All he needs to do is improve his shooting and he can be a T-Mac type of player in the future IMO.

I like Gasol too and think he'll be a star but right now, Gay is a player I rather build around over Gasol.

Hawkeye15
08-19-2010, 09:04 PM

Gay was so overpaid this offseason it isn't even funny. Wings who shoot with decent efficiency, and give half *** effort on defense, are a dime a dozen. Gay was a stupid signing at the money he got.
I do not understand how they won't fulfill Henry's deal. Don't understand it one bit. Henry projects as a decent scoring SG. I was actually pissed when the Grizz took him, the Wolves need a SG badly. This is a contract worth totally minimal money, and yet the Grizz will take on Randolph, pay Gay out the ***, and you have Mayo/Gasol coming up next summer for extensions (well, elected extensions). The Grizz are a promising team, but they confuse me at times

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Henry has got some superstar potential in him. Those players don't. So maybe that's why they want to trade.

Swashcuff
08-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Henry has got some superstar potential in him. Those players don't. So maybe that's why they want to trade.

While I do understand where they are coming from because realistically IF Henry pans out he'd be more valuable than either Taj or Tyson its just a bit surprising to see that fans of a team are so eager to give up assets for him. Guess it speaks boundaries to how much fans across the league think he's worth.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Gay was so overpaid this offseason it isn't even funny. Wings who shoot with decent efficiency, and give half *** effort on defense, are a dime a dozen. Gay was a stupid signing at the money he got.
I do not understand how they won't fulfill Henry's deal. Don't understand it one bit. Henry projects as a decent scoring SG. I was actually pissed when the Grizz took him, the Wolves need a SG badly. This is a contract worth totally minimal money, and yet the Grizz will take on Randolph, pay Gay out the ***, and you have Mayo/Gasol coming up next summer for extensions (well, elected extensions). The Grizz are a promising team, but they confuse me at times

Gay wouldn't have settled for less and the Grizzlies would again have to take steps back if they lost Gay. That's why he was overpaid.

Gay has shown flashes of the ability to shoot more efficiently and be a lockdown defender. All he needs to do it mature up and work hard. He's 24. He can improve a lot in the next 1-2 years.

ChiSox219
08-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Gay still has a lot more growing to do. All he needs to do is improve his shooting and he can be a T-Mac type of player in the future IMO.

I like Gasol too and think he'll be a star but right now, Gay is a player I rather build around over Gasol.

That is plain silly.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 09:11 PM
While I do understand where they are coming from because realistically IF Henry pans out he'd be more valuable than either Taj or Tyson its just a bit surprising to see that fans of a team are so eager to give up assets for him. Guess it speaks boundaries to how much fans across the league think he's worth.

Other than Wilson Chandler, the rest of the offers seemed fair. I mean they were all offering serviceable bench players for him.

Hawkeye15
08-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Gay wouldn't have settled for less and the Grizzlies would again have to take steps back if they lost Gay. That's why he was overpaid.

Gay has shown flashes of the ability to shoot more efficiently and be a lockdown defender. All he needs to do it mature up and work hard. He's 24. He can improve a lot in the next 1-2 years.

Gay is all about showing flashes, and then he takes a game off. Lockdown defender? Really? Of course he can improve. But Gay most likely just got his payday, and will kick it for 4 years, and then "wake up" in his contract year.
Sorry. I know my Wolves were chasing him, but for the money he got, its ridiculous. The Grizz would have taken a half step back by letting him walk (though they would have gotten a trade exception), but it would have been a quick comeback with a simple move or two.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 09:16 PM
That is plain silly.

Both are going to be stars anyway IMO. I just see Gay being a better player than Gasol when they are both stars.

You can't go wrong with either player. If I took Gasol, it would probably be becase he is a big man while Gay is just a wing player.

Swashcuff
08-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Other than Wilson Chandler, the rest of the offers seemed fair. I mean they were all offering serviceable bench players for him.

I am not saying they don't but I am talking about fans who usually over value their players. Though I believe Taj is a bench PF its not far-fetched to think that given adequate starting minutes he can be a productive PF on any team. He had a pretty decent and consistent rookie season. He may not improve by much but he can certainly be more valuable than a serviceable bench player.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Gay is all about showing flashes, and then he takes a game off. Lockdown defender? Really? Of course he can improve. But Gay most likely just got his payday, and will kick it for 4 years, and then "wake up" in his contract year.
Sorry. I know my Wolves were chasing him, but for the money he got, its ridiculous. The Grizz would have taken a half step back by letting him walk (though they would have gotten a trade exception), but it would have been a quick comeback with a simple move or two.

The difference between you and me is that I believe Gay will improve while you think he'll kick it back.

If he does improve and becomes a more efficient shooter and be a legit defender, his contract would be pretty nice.

When it all comes down to it, I believe Gay will be a legit star in this league while you think he was just looking for a payday.

Hawkeye15
08-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Both are going to be stars anyway IMO. I just see Gay being a better player than Gasol when they are both stars.

You can't go wrong with either player. If I took Gasol, it would probably be becase he is a big man while Gay is just a wing player.

a better player, or a more high profile player? There is a big difference.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 09:23 PM
a better player, or a more high profile player? There is a big difference.

Better.

Big men these days are getting more love than they should be because there aren't a lot of big men out there.

Howard is considered a top 5 player though he's mostly a 1 sided player. All he really does is dunk the ball with a couple of hook shots here and there. Yet you have people rank him higher than players like Williams or Paul who can do it on both sides of the court.

ChiSox219
08-19-2010, 09:23 PM
The difference between you and me is that I believe Gay will improve while you think he'll kick it back.

If he does improve and becomes a more efficient shooter and be a legit defender, his contract would be pretty nice.

When it all comes down to it, I believe Gay will be a legit star in this league while you think he was just looking for a payday.

So if Gay improves he's...Luol Deng?

PSDers moan all day about how bad his contract is (even if it is fair value)

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 09:25 PM
I am not saying they don't but I am talking about fans who usually over value their players. Though I believe Taj is a bench PF its not far-fetched to think that given adequate starting minutes he can be a productive PF on any team. He had a pretty decent and consistent rookie season. He may not improve by much but he can certainly be more valuable than a serviceable bench player.

Then again, Taj has no place on the Bulls right now. Boozer is getting his 35-40 minutes a game. Why have a good player only playing for 8-13 minutes a game. Migght as well trade for a position they need.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 09:28 PM
So if Gay improves he's...Luol Deng?

PSDers moan all day about how bad his contract is (even if it is fair value)

Luol Deng was actually good but he took steps back after he signed that contract. Gay is already better than Deng so I don't know what you are talking about him turning into Deng.

If Gay does what Hawkeye says and kicks it back, he will be in the same situation as Luol Deng.

Hawkeye15
08-19-2010, 09:31 PM

I think it comes down to trends. Where has Gay's improvement been? His best year was 3 seasons ago. He has proven nothing more than a volume scorer who likes to shoot early in the clock, and takes nights off. AND THAT WAS IN A CONTRACT YEAR.
I think he follows along the lines of Deng, Iggy, Jax, Maggette, etc. Volume scorer that doesn't translate to wins.

ChiSox219
08-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Better.

Big men these days are getting more love than they should be because there aren't a lot of big men out there.

Howard is considered a top 5 player though he's mostly a 1 sided player. All he really does is dunk the ball with a couple of hook shots here and there. Yet you have people rank him higher than players like Williams or Paul who can do it on both sides of the court.

Regardless of bias towards bigs, Gasol had a much better season that Gay and would have even more of an impact if he wasn't surround by ball dominant scorers.

Howard is a top 5 player because he is dominant on offense and defense. He gets to the line at an outstanding rate and forces teams to double him even without any kind of refined post game. When he's matched up with a great defender his offensive limitations are exposed but there isn't a great big defender on every NBA team.

ChiSox219
08-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Luol Deng was actually good but he took steps back after he signed that contract. Gay is already better than Deng so I don't know what you are talking about him turning into Deng.

If Gay does what Hawkeye says and kicks it back, he will be in the same situation as Luol Deng.

Gay is not better than Deng, watch both play and pay close attention to how each plays when they do not have the ball in their hands.

If Gay has the advantage offensive advantage it is washed away by Deng's far superior defense, rebounding, and off the ball play.

Now, there isn't a huge gap, but if all Gay does is improve his shooting and defense, he's basically a more explosive Deng.

Kakaroach
08-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Anyway back on topic. :laugh2: I think Henry has good potential, but he's stuck behind Mayo/Gay. At the very least he is a great bench piece. Would love to have him on the Jazz but we got a crowded wing situation already.

pistonsfanomg
08-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Got a feeling my Pistons are interested.

I mean we scouted the guy so yeah....

hgtiger32
08-19-2010, 09:57 PM
bucks offer up anyone but Jennings, Bogut, and Sanders...

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Regardless of bias towards bigs, Gasol had a much better season that Gay and would have even more of an impact if he wasn't surround by ball dominant scorers.

Howard is a top 5 player because he is dominant on offense and defense. He gets to the line at an outstanding rate and forces teams to double him even without any kind of refined post game. When he's matched up with a great defender his offensive limitations are exposed but there isn't a great big defender on every NBA team.

He's very limited on offense though. He not dominant on offense. He just does 2 things better than other big men. Get to the line and dunks.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Gay is not better than Deng, watch both play and pay close attention to how each plays when they do not have the ball in their hands.

If Gay has the advantage offensive advantage it is washed away by Deng's far superior defense, rebounding, and off the ball play.

Now, there isn't a huge gap, but if all Gay does is improve his shooting and defense, he's basically a more explosive Deng.

I've never been a fan of Deng so maybe my dislike for him blinds me. But I'm sticking to Gay with his potential and game.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 10:08 PM
I think it comes down to trends. Where has Gay's improvement been? His best year was 3 seasons ago. He has proven nothing more than a volume scorer who likes to shoot early in the clock, and takes nights off. AND THAT WAS IN A CONTRACT YEAR.
I think he follows along the lines of Deng, Iggy, Jax, Maggette, etc. Volume scorer that doesn't translate to wins.

Like I said, I believe Gay improves his game and smartens up.

The things you said are the things he's shown but I believe that Gay breaks that trend of his.

Hawkeye15
08-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Like I said, I believe Gay improves his game and smartens up.

The things you said are the things he's shown but I believe that Gay breaks that trend of his.

aiight. I believe in trends, and proof. He is young, with potential. We shall see

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 10:13 PM
aiight. I believe in trends, and proof. He is young, with potential. We shall see

I'm more of a guy who puts his trust in people.

Bargnani was projected to be **** 2 and a 1/2 seasons in his NBA career yet I still believe he'll be a star in this league.

Iodine
08-19-2010, 10:17 PM
bucks offer up anyone but Jennings, Bogut, and Sanders...

I had no idea you were the bucks GM!

Anyway the situation itself has really gotten laughable.
I mean here is a direct quote from Henry
"Whatever team I go to, I'm going to try to bring my best," said Henry. "If it is Memphis, I'm still going to try to bring my best even though this contract thing is going on, because I know the coaches have called me, they're saying it's just like the owner and the organization, so it's not them saying we don't want to pay you 120 percent. So I still know my coaches and my teammates want me there, so I'm going to give them my best effort."

When even coaches are calling it the usual thing by the organization it's a very bad sign for how they run things

anyway on to the Rudy Gay portion of this thread, calling him a good defender is just silly.
His best Drating season is at 110..... that's worse than JJ Redicks average. He gave up .86 PPP overall and .88 PPP on isolations. compare that to Caron Butler's .81 and .73 and you get the idea of where im going with this

Hawkeye15
08-19-2010, 10:22 PM
defensive ratings from br.com are kinda of subjective. But the defensive isolations do indeed ring true. Gay is not a good defender. And even worse, he is a selective defender. If he feels like it, he locks down. If he doesn't, ......
and again, back to topic. Its just weird that you wouldn't sign a lottery pick to their due contract

MrfadeawayJB
08-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Ok first of all whoever said Rudy Gay was a legit defender should be banned from the PSD forum. He has all the tools to be one, but he is lazy and often takes stretches off. Whoever compared Rudy Gay to Luol Deng obviously has not watched the Grizz very often. Rudy is a offensive dynamo, and should improve to all star levels. I agree Rudy was overpaid, we had an opportunity to sign him to 5 yr $65mil during the season, but we waited and ended up paying 5 yr $82 mil. X. Henry should be paid, and in a grizz uniform next year, but the ownership here sucks..(not as bad as T-wolves though) Heisley is nothing but a business man, and he is being cheap right now because he overpaid Carroll and Thabeet last year because they were busts.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Ok first of all whoever said Rudy Gay was a legit defender should be banned from the PSD forum. He has all the tools to be one, but he is lazy and often takes stretches off. Whoever compared Rudy Gay to Luol Deng obviously has not watched the Grizz very often. Rudy is a offensive dynamo, and should improve to all star levels. I agree Rudy was overpaid, we had an opportunity to sign him to 5 yr $65mil during the season, but we waited and ended up paying 5 yr $82 mil. X. Henry should be paid, and in a grizz uniform next year, but the ownership here sucks..(not as bad as T-wolves though) Heisley is nothing but a business man, and he is being cheap right now because he overpaid Carroll and Thabeet last year because they were busts.

It depends how you look at it.

I see him as a legit defender but doesn't show it all the time.

Others see it as a lazy defender who shows flashes of being a legit defender.

BlondeBomber41
08-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Cheap *** team. They can't be serious with this.... if you don't wanna pay your lottery picks then you don't draft in the lottery.

This is the kinda stuff that sours a relationship. Say he agrees eventually and turns into a Superstar or at least a All Star? Then free agency comes up in a few years and I doubt he will wanna stick around with the team that gave him this much crap. All that for less than half a million.... its not very smart.

BlondeBomber41
08-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Cheap *** team. They can't be serious with this.... if you don't wanna pay your lottery picks then you don't draft in the lottery.

This is the kinda stuff that sours a relationship. Say he agrees eventually and turns into a Superstar or at least a All Star? Then free agency comes up in a few years and I doubt he will wanna stick around with the team that gave him this much crap. All that for less than half a million.... its not very smart.

nuggetsyankees
08-19-2010, 11:00 PM
^lmao at your sig

nuggetsyankees
08-19-2010, 11:10 PM
If the Nuggets got him I'd say that'd be a productive offseason

Yunqn
08-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Raptors offer Calderon, Wright, Miami's 1st and Raptors protected 1st round pick for Thabeet and Henry.

wow you guys are acting like he was the player of the year..ya will trade 2 1st,calderon & wright?

he wasnt even top8..so say james anderson will be better..& i bet he will

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2010, 11:15 PM
wow you guys are acting like he was the player of the year..ya will trade 2 1st,calderon & wright?

he wasnt even top8..so say james anderson will be better..& i bet he will

Calderon is just weighing us down with his salary. I don't really care much for Julian Wright. Miami's pick will be like 30th. And the future protected pick will be given away when we make the playoffs.

If we get Henry and Thabeet, we'd have a very young and potential built team. I think Henry would be legit and we already have Derozan who has all the potential in the world. Weems looks to be a good team player too. Good 3 wing rotation if they all live up to their potentials.

zambo4president
08-19-2010, 11:19 PM

Taj is not "really good" He's a great defender and rebounder but he's really nothing more than a backup PF. A good bench guy but he's no career starter. Don't get me wrong i love Taj, but that's what we offered for Rudy Fernandez, Taj and a future 1st. I like X's potential alot, especially along side Rose in a few years. If were gonna get rid of Taj Id rather it be for X than Rudy.

masalex1205
08-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Rudy Gay is getting overrated on this thread

TheGsw
08-19-2010, 11:29 PM
I bet money the Warriors made an offer.

Rego247
08-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Calderon is just weighing us down with his salary. I don't really care much for Julian Wright. Miami's pick will be like 30th. And the future protected pick will be given away when we make the playoffs.

If we get Henry and Thabeet, we'd have a very young and potential built team. I think Henry would be legit and we already have Derozan who has all the potential in the world. Weems looks to be a good team player too. Good 3 wing rotation if they all live up to their potentials.

o i c u have faith thats cool. cuz if it were me i'd replace "when" with "if" lol.

TyrekeHavoc13
08-20-2010, 05:36 AM
I'd really like the Kings to try to get this kid.

alencp3
08-20-2010, 09:50 AM
He would be great on the Kings
Tyreke-Xavier-Casspi-Thompson-Cousins
WOW dynasty in 4 years

Hawkeye15
08-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Kings need a PG.

xbrackattackx
08-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Yea, people are offering proven players for a unproven rookie. You offer future picks for rookies. Not good players and Role Players.

BOSTON617
08-20-2010, 10:57 AM
i'd give big baby or daniels and a 1st rder for him

IndyRealist
08-20-2010, 10:59 AM
On Gay vs. Deng - Gay took 202 3pt's on 33% shooting, Deng took 83 on 39% shooting. Deng generates 1.4rpg more than Gay but .5 less spg. Deng gets less turnovers and fouls. I'd go with Deng. The only real reason to go with Gay is if you value the inefficient 2ppg he gets more than Luol.

That's right now, of course. If Gay ever figures out that he's not a very good 3pt shooter, he's a much more efficent 2pt shooter than Deng. Deng's the better defender though, and if you don't come into the league with that mindset it's not easy to develop it.

IndyRealist
08-20-2010, 11:05 AM
On Xavier Henry, I think it's silly to hold out on a lottery pick for 600k. Several teams were looking to trade into the lottery and they could have easily traded down and sent salary with it to save money.

Holding out on Vasquez is silly as well. Performance clauses in a rookie contract? C'mon. They were saying he could take the starting PG spot from Mike Conley, he's worth the risk.

Kakaroach
08-20-2010, 11:43 AM
On Xavier Henry, I think it's silly to hold out on a lottery pick for 600k. Several teams were looking to trade into the lottery and they could have easily traded down and sent salary with it to save money.

Holding out on Vasquez is silly as well. Performance clauses in a rookie contract? C'mon. They were saying he could take the starting PG spot from Mike Conley, he's worth the risk. There is no doubt about that, the Grizzlies have no need to be stingy with rookie picks. This isn't the NFL or MLB where there is no cap for these guys.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-20-2010, 03:36 PM
o i c u have faith thats cool. cuz if it were me i'd replace "when" with "if" lol.

But if it's lottery protected, it can only be given away when we make the playoffs or if we are **** for like the next 7 years.

And we aren't the Knicks here and we don't have Isiah Thomas so the 2nd part won't happen.

beasted86
08-20-2010, 05:36 PM
On Gay vs. Deng - Gay took 202 3pt's on 33% shooting, Deng took 83 on 39% shooting. Deng generates 1.4rpg more than Gay but .5 less spg. Deng gets less turnovers and fouls. I'd go with Deng. The only real reason to go with Gay is if you value the inefficient 2ppg he gets more than Luol.

That's right now, of course. If Gay ever figures out that he's not a very good 3pt shooter, he's a much more efficent 2pt shooter than Deng. Deng's the better defender though, and if you don't come into the league with that mindset it's not easy to develop it.

Deng also can't stay healthy and can't create or carry an offense. Rudy Gay can. Either way neither of them are guys you want to rely on as a 1st or 2nd options on a team... and both of them got somewhat overpaid to be second tier players that aren't going to lead a team to a championship.

ramsizzle
08-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Deng also can't stay healthy and can't create or carry an offense. Rudy Gay can. Either way neither of them are guys you want to rely on as a 1st or 2nd options on a team... and both of them got somewhat overpaid to be second tier players that aren't going to lead a team to a championship.

both are overpaid? compared to gay's deal dengs contract is a steal