PDA

View Full Version : NBA vs NFL

mikealike305
08-19-2010, 01:20 PM
for the cities that have both a NBA and a NFL team what cities are considered a "NBA town" and which ones are a "NFL town"? and what makes a cities generally like one sport or team more than the other? is it the history of the team or is it what they have accomplished in recent history?

nysportsfan02
08-19-2010, 01:22 PM
NYC is baseball first. Yankees/Mets run the town.

Next would most likely be Knicks then Giants/Jets.

king4day
08-19-2010, 01:25 PM
New Orleans is easily NFL first....and second....and third...

beltran15mets
08-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Not many nba towns, two of the most storied franchises dont even run their town... the celtics play in a red sox town and the lakers play in dodger town

beltran15mets
08-19-2010, 01:35 PM

I would say football is ahead of basketball here

Baseball/Football/Basketball/Hockey

nysportsfan02
08-19-2010, 01:36 PM
I would say football is ahead of basketball here

Baseball/Football/Basketball/Hockey

I would say purely Manhattan.....bball is second to baseball.

As NY a whole then you may be correct.

mikealike305
08-19-2010, 01:37 PM
in miami its a football first town... even after july 8th

Klivlend
08-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Not many nba towns, two of the most storied franchises dont even run their town... the celtics play in a red sox town and the lakers play in dodger town

Really? LA is a baseball city? Even with all the celebrities sitting courtside and the 'Showtime Lakers'? I didn't think the Dodgers were that big of a deal. I would have said LA is a basketball town

OG "Dee" LOCc
08-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Yeah its usually baseball/football/basketball/hockey no one cares about the red bulls
Tho kids around here have grown to playing more basketball then football

Avenged
08-19-2010, 01:40 PM
L.A is definitely a basketball town but there are also numerous baseball Dodger fans as well.

You have to take the Lakers because of their recent success, but their are a lot of loyal Dodger fans through good and bad.

Jaydes
08-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Philly is just a sports city period.

nickdymez
08-19-2010, 01:46 PM

Who lied to you and told you that? :speechless:

DaBUU
08-19-2010, 01:55 PM
ChiTown belongs to the Bears without a doubt. Most of the city was MJ fans back in the 90's and ditched the team when he left. Bulls fall behind Bears and Cubs, but are more relevant than the white sux.

awmathewsjr
08-19-2010, 02:01 PM
This is an easy one, it's all about recent accomplishments. Boston was a NBA city in the Celtic Golden Years, then came along a sub par Celtic era and all the attention was turned to the Patriots, now the Celtics are back and Boston is a NBA city.........unless the Pats win it again.

DoJoTheSlasher
08-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Dallas is football town obviously due to the Dallas Cowboys. Next is basketball and then baseball.

blams
08-19-2010, 02:07 PM
NFL is likely number one in most cities. Even in Chicago, it's far and away number 1.

Mikey Roxx
08-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Phoenix is a basketball city when comparing the Suns to the Cardinals. No one (except die-hard fans, of course) cared about the Cards until they started winning, and even now, there's a lot more Suns-related stuff out there.

Jewelz0376
08-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Really? LA is a baseball city? Even with all the celebrities sitting courtside and the 'Showtime Lakers'? I didn't think the Dodgers were that big of a deal. I would have said LA is a basketball town

Yea idk what he's talking about but I live in LA and its def a basketball town, which is why Kobe is the King of LA... When I drive around LA i see way more lakers flags, stickers, etc... then I do dodgers...

black1605
08-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Charlotte is Panthers first, Bobcats a distant second. We were a basketball town for a long time, but the Bobcats haven't been accepted the way the Hornets were back in the day when we led the league in attendance for like seven years straight.

edit: 358 straight sellouts, the equivalent of nine seasons worth of games in a stadium that held 24,000+

AlphaClose 007
08-19-2010, 07:31 PM
indy was about the same until reggie retired, now its colts town

icej
08-19-2010, 07:40 PM
ChiTown belongs to the Bears without a doubt. Most of the city was MJ fans back in the 90's and ditched the team when he left. Bulls fall behind Bears and Cubs, but are more relevant than the white sux.

Well most of the world was MJ fans back when he's still playing and most of the world ditched BASKETBALL when he left. NBA became far behind a lot of sports every time MJ retires. My country was one of them sadly.

No kobe, lebron, or KD can probably put NBA at the top of the world again.

ombada
08-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Indianapolis is an NFL town... But Basketball is always looming. If the pacers become relevant again there will be a ton of support.

pistonsfanomg
08-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Detroit

Its hard man... It really is because we support all of our teams.

But I would say Hockey comes first here because of the Red Wings
Then its the Detroit Tigers.... Then Detroit Pistons... Then its the Detroit Lions.

NBA Will be last once the Detroit Lions step their game up
Detroit is a football town but since the Lions sucked so many years Detroiters given up on them but they will start supporting them we have a good future.

bahama0811
08-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Denver was, is, and always will be a Bronco town.

asandhu23
08-19-2010, 10:05 PM
for the cities that have both a NBA and a NFL team what cities are considered a "NBA town" and which ones are a "NFL town"? and what makes a cities generally like one sport or team more than the other? is it the history of the team or is it what they have accomplished in recent history?

wait a sec. how the **** did you get 1115 posts in 2 months?

asandhu23
08-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Oh and Bay Area will always be football "area". Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers, De La Salle football etc, Cal Bears, Stanford Cardinal, San Jose Spartans. enough said.

_KB24_
08-19-2010, 10:20 PM
LA will always remain the Heat of Raider Nation :(

Lakers because in Hollywood, success is the only option.

Ebbs
08-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Edmonton is all about the hockey lol.

SugeKnight
08-19-2010, 10:32 PM
L.A. is clipper nation

Sox72
08-19-2010, 10:33 PM

Doesn't get any lamer than that.

NYKNYGNYY
08-19-2010, 10:36 PM
it depends wat part of ny. long island is football, upstate is more baseball (cooperstown) and the city is basketball msg

WadeBirdman
08-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Im from Miami and as much as the people love the HEAT down there (especially now) I think that it will be considered a football city for a while. The Dolphins have a pretty good history...even though they arent a pro team I think you could say the Canes play a role in making it a football city?

samevans7
08-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Miami: NFL
Boston: MLB
NY: MLB
LA: NBA
Dallas: NFL
Washington D.C.: NFL
New Orleans: NFL
Houston: NBA
Indiana: NFL
Philadelphia: MLB

samevans7
08-19-2010, 11:02 PM
wait a sec. how the **** did you get 1115 posts in 2 months?

hahhahahahahah

Rafer17
08-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Boston:

Redsox
Pats
Celtics/Bruins (Right now Celtics)

icej
08-20-2010, 06:06 AM
L.A. is clipper nation

:laugh:

GPriza
08-20-2010, 06:46 AM

It depends on who is winning. You have to consider that most of the people world wide that don a yankees cap cant name more than two players. Another 50% are strictly front runners, its getting hard to remember the last time they were bad, but I do, and they took the back seat.
When the knicks made the playoffs for 15 years straight it was hard to say it wasn't their town when oakley and ewing and starks were everywhere you looked. The jets, bills and giants fans, 90% of them are pretty hard core fans. Before the rangers and isles management both went to **** they got a fair amount of attention.

I don't think you can make a clear decision here for NY. It depends what season it is. Especially when its based on the NyY whose caps are worn by people who dont even like baseball.

Now, with bias and for no other purpose but to attack the yankees.....I'd hate for NY to be considered a just a baseball town because the NYY primarily turned the game into a business and bought nearly ever championship they ever had. A scourge to sportsmanship and a flag for weak *** front runners everywhere. If the NY baseball Giants and Dodgers didn't leave NY they wouldn't have had a tenth of the championships they have now and wouldn't have had the cash to do anything about it.

ITS FOOTBALL SEASON FOLKS!!!

kArSoN RyDaH
08-20-2010, 07:03 AM
foootball - usc and ucla vs nba- lakers and clippers.

LAKERS WIN!!! but ucla football and usc football have more of a fanbase than the lowly clippers.

Heater4life
08-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Miami is NFL (or just football in general, UM is big down here), then again basketball is only 22 years old. Within a couple years the Heat will gain a ton of ground. Baseball :facepalm: , our Marlins organization is 2 for 2, 100 DYCT% (dismantling your championship team). its a shame they have a GREAT farm system.

todu82
08-20-2010, 09:08 AM
In cities with both a NBA and NFL Team

Boston- NFL
Miami- NFL
New York- NBA
Cleveland-NBA
Indianapolis-NFL
Houston-NFL
Denver-NBA
Oakland-NFL
Dallas-NFL
Philadelphia-NFL
Washington-NFL
Chicago-NBA
Detroit-NFL
Minneapolis-NFL
Phoenix-NBA
Atlanta-NFL
Carolina-NBA
New Orleans-NFL

Delrayhc
08-20-2010, 09:14 AM
I would say as far as southern cities go with the exception of Atlanta (Braves , baseball town) the NFL is king and even though this is not exactly part of the topic college football trumps everything in the south.

BOSTON617
08-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Boston:

Redsox
Pats
Celtics/Bruins (Right now Celtics)

i disagree compl

boston is def

redsox
celtics
pats/bruins

i mean celtics and redsox are about the same the reason why the celtics are so loved here and redsox have loyal fans... the pats became big in the early 2000s so i mean thats a force saying they have more loyal fans then the nbas most sucessful franchise..... red sox have history (the most) and celtics 2nd thats why those two teams are more popular then the others..... and bruins ever since that lock in lost a chunk of there fan base... pats could be in the next 10-15 yrs

Oldmantrash
08-20-2010, 09:35 AM
When the Knicks are good,inside the 5 Boroughs it's a basketball town #1.
When they're not Baseball is #1,basketball is #2.

In the whole area NJ,Long island,Westchester.

Baseball is always 1a
Football is always 1b
Basketball is far behind

I'm a basketball guy first,born in Brooklyn lived there30 years,live in NJ now.

awmathewsjr
08-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Charlotte is Panthers first, Bobcats a distant second. We were a basketball town for a long time, but the Bobcats haven't been accepted the way the Hornets were back in the day when we led the league in attendance for like seven years straight.

edit: 358 straight sellouts, the equivalent of nine seasons worth of games in a stadium that held 24,000+

A football stadium that holds 24,000 would suck big time, thats a high school stadium, a small high school stadium.

awmathewsjr
08-20-2010, 10:03 AM

Boston- NFL
Miami- NFL
New York- NBA
Cleveland-NBA
Indianapolis-NFL
Houston-NFL
Denver-NBA
Oakland-NFL
Dallas-NFL
Philadelphia-NFL
Washington-NFL
Chicago-NBA
Detroit-NFL
Minneapolis-NFL
Phoenix-NBA
Atlanta-NFL
Carolina-NBA
New Orleans-NFL

This is wrong. Until somebody else brings a championship to the city, Houston will be a NBA city.

prash
08-20-2010, 11:58 AM
A football stadium that holds 24,000 would suck big time, thats a high school stadium, a small high school stadium.

A football field is a lot larger than an NBA court. The All-Star game at the new Cowboy Stadium squished in 100,000 ppl, and those sitting past the 2nd deck couldn't see a thing. They were all just watching the screen, which I believe is actually within a couple feet in dimensions compared to an NBA court.

NFL plays 16 regular season games. NBA has 82.

These two factors have to be considered.

However, in the US the NFL definitely seems more popular than the NBA.

mikealike305
08-20-2010, 01:32 PM
what makes a city into one sport more than another? history of the team?

black1605
08-20-2010, 01:34 PM

Boston- NFL
Miami- NFL
New York- NBA
Cleveland-NBA
Indianapolis-NFL
Houston-NFL
Denver-NBA
Oakland-NFL
Dallas-NFL
Philadelphia-NFL
Washington-NFL
Chicago-NBA
Detroit-NFL
Minneapolis-NFL
Phoenix-NBA
Atlanta-NFL
Carolina-NBA
New Orleans-NFL

False.

ChetSteadman
08-20-2010, 01:45 PM
The Bay Area is definitely Football then Baseball

King Drew
08-20-2010, 01:54 PM

idk i would say football and basketball are pretty 50 50 around manhattan. If baseball was part of the question yes it'll be baseball first

GMEN4EVER
08-20-2010, 02:10 PM
NYC is yankees first, then it's a toss up between football and the knicks, followed by the mets. If the knicks start going to the playoffs a few years in a row and are real contenders then you might see them surpass the two football teams, but they'll still be behind the yankees.

The Raven
08-20-2010, 04:59 PM

they are

xbrackattackx
08-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Dodgers are the team here man!

abe_froman
08-20-2010, 05:02 PM

Boston- NFL
Miami- NFL
New York- NBA
Cleveland-NBA
Indianapolis-NFL
Houston-NFL
Denver-NBA
Oakland-NFL
Dallas-NFL
Philadelphia-NFL
Washington-NFL
Chicago-NBA
Detroit-NFL
Minneapolis-NFL
Phoenix-NBA
Atlanta-NFL
Carolina-NBA
New Orleans-NFL

you obviously know very little about chicago

samevans7
09-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Boston- NFL MLB
Miami- NFL
New York- NBA MLB
Cleveland-NBA
Indianapolis-NFL
Houston-NFL NBA
Denver-NBA NFL
Oakland-NFL
Dallas-NFL
Philadelphia-NFL
Washington-NFL
Chicago-NBA NHL
Detroit-NFL NHL
Minneapolis-NFL
Phoenix-NBA
Atlanta-NFL
Carolina-NBA NFL
New Orleans-NFL

bolded is corrected

Philly Hammer
09-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Philly will love you no matter what sport you are if you play with passion.

ChetSteadman
09-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Oakland (hell, the whole bay area) is football > baseball > hockey > basketball

PHX2daDEATH
09-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Phoenix is a basketball city when comparing the Suns to the Cardinals. No one (except die-hard fans, of course) cared about the Cards until they started winning, and even now, there's a lot more Suns-related stuff out there.

this. the arizona cardinals have been in AZ for 23 years almost but didnt start growing a fan base until 3 years ago.. and the fans are still fairweathered who dont know anything about football..This cannot be a football town when there are so many Cowboys fans, Raider Fans and Steeler fans living in the valley. Hands down the Suns own Phoenix.

NYKalltheway
09-07-2010, 09:42 PM
what's so good about football? :D never really interested me. Only seen 2-3 Superbowls really

montazingmvp
09-07-2010, 11:18 PM
what's so good about football? :D never really interested me. Only seen 2-3 Superbowls really

there's not really much interesting about it...its just engrained in our culture, so fanhood is passed down generations...

its not a sport thats going to draw a lot of interest outside north america

Kevj77
09-07-2010, 11:33 PM
My tiny town doesn't have any teams. Personally though it's Raiders>>>Lakers. The Raiders suck and the Lakers are back to back champs. I just love football that much.

THE GIPPER
09-07-2010, 11:41 PM

Boston- NFL
Miami- NFL
New York- NBA
Cleveland-NBA
Indianapolis-NFL
Houston-NFL
Denver-NBA
Oakland-NFL
Dallas-NFL
Philadelphia-NFL
Washington-NFL
Chicago-NBA
Detroit-NFL
Minneapolis-NFL
Phoenix-NBA
Atlanta-NFL
Carolina-NBA
New Orleans-NFL

noooo

iFYouSeekAmy
09-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Oakland (hell, the whole bay area) is football > baseball > hockey > basketball

My opinion is

Football > baseball > basketball > hockey

Kinda hard to tell really since the only cities with teams are basically Frisco-Oakland-San Jose.

Oakland is pretty much a slight tie between Football and basketball.. football has a slight advantage.

Really- it's hard to tell when generalizing the bay area as a whole.

BlinkManJan02
09-08-2010, 12:28 AM
in miami its a football first town... even after july 8th

hahaha

Korman12
09-08-2010, 12:47 AM
Philly is football, even though the Sixers are historically better than the Eagles.

More so than anything, it's a "what have you done lately" town, no matter which team. I know it sounds like bandwagoning (a lot of it is), but, more or less, it's the social mentality around here.

The 2001 Sixers that went to the NBA finals were the biggest team I've ever seen in Philly - even more than the current Phillies. But if you asked around (really around), it'd be pretty obvious that fans want the Eagles to win a SB more than they want the other three teams to win a title.