PDA

View Full Version : Is balance of power shifting?

show34
08-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Is the balance of power shifting back to the east? And what does this mean for west coast ticket sales and will the west be able to survive with fewer and aging superstars and if melo and paul go to new york i think the west is in trouble boston orlando newyork miami new jersey atlanta are all getting better so what does the west do about this?

black1605
08-19-2010, 12:22 AM
The West will be fine...and how did Atlanta get better?

SouthSideRookie
08-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Not at all, its just 4 really good teams, the west is still deep 1 through 8

Avenged
08-19-2010, 12:26 AM
The West has a couple of teams with young talent.

NJ and ATL aren't really power shifters.. at least not at this point.

Players leave, another one emerges.

It's how it has always been.

show34
08-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Atlanta is going to get better soon and nj is young and the sky is the limit

king4day
08-19-2010, 12:32 AM
Not really. Bosh left an east team for another east team. Lebron left an east team for that same east team and Wade stayed. Amar'e going to NY doesn't make them much better. Boozer going to Chicago propels them. So in all, the east has one more powerhouse.

Phoenix lost Amar'e but will still compete with its additions and will likely be better than half the east if not more. Utah gained Al Jefferson to nullify the loss of Boozer, so there's no loss there.

If Melo and Paul go to the East, then we can start talking. But right now, not a whole lot has changed aside from the powers in the east (shifts from the Cavs to the Heat).

Atlanta did nothing to improve
NJ did nothing to drastically improve
NY still needs more help.

masalex1205
08-19-2010, 12:47 AM

how exactly is ATL going to get better? luck into a top draft pick?

LA_Raiders
08-19-2010, 12:53 AM
May be next year if melo and cp3 go to the Easy...

Avenged
08-19-2010, 12:54 AM

I'm not sold on NJ.

They do have young talent, but I don't think it's enough to call them power shifters as I stated in my previous post.

LA_Raiders
08-19-2010, 12:56 AM

They better make some moves, because they are the same as last year...

Atl, needs a good C to boost them to the finals...

NJ, well those guys are still lost IMO...

lvblay3
08-19-2010, 01:02 AM
Teams that could win 50 games next season
West East

Lakers Magic
Mav's Celtics
Thunder Heat
Trailblazers Bulls
Suns Hawks... maybe, NOT REALLY
Spurs ?
Nuggets ?
Jazz ?
Rockets ?
Grizzles ?

lvblay3
08-19-2010, 01:06 AM
Top 10 players in the NBA
West
Kobe, Durant, Duncan, Nash, Dirk, Melo, D. Williams, Roy
East
Lebron, Wade, Howard,

IAmKira
08-19-2010, 01:10 AM
Top 10 players in the NBA
West
Kobe, Durant, Duncan, Nash, Dirk, Melo, D. Williams, Roy
East
Lebron, Wade, Howard,

duncan isnt top 10 anymore. Wow chris paul aint on the list?

Rego247
08-19-2010, 01:27 AM
nope i dont think the "banlance" of power is shifting. :D.

QuaLiThADoN
08-19-2010, 01:29 AM
The west is the west and I feel will always be a stronger conference until proven otherwise..... Amare is not that big of a power shifter lol

RulerSlick
08-19-2010, 01:38 AM
all I know if the East has about 3 title contending teams while the West only has 1

quikslvr2269
08-19-2010, 01:51 AM
banlance?

SouljahPhil...
08-19-2010, 02:15 AM
all I know if the East has about 3 title contending teams while the West only has 1

wow...very knowledgeable of you...

What happened to OKC.,Utah.,Denver.,Mavs???

cowboysceltics
08-19-2010, 02:50 AM

Are you kidding me? In the west it's L.A and thats it! Those 3 teams are getting worst and weren't really contenders before. Maybe OKC in a few years but right now it's L.A.
The champs will be either L.A, Boston, Miami or Orlando. Thats it! Sorry for the rest!

icej
08-19-2010, 04:00 AM
Power is definitely shifting -- Isiah is coming back.

SouthSideRookie
08-19-2010, 04:25 AM
Are you kidding me? In the west it's L.A and thats it! Those 3 teams are getting worst and weren't really contenders before. Maybe OKC in a few years but right now it's L.A.
The champs will be either L.A, Boston, Miami or Orlando. Thats it! Sorry for the rest!

:facepalm:

Wade>You
08-19-2010, 04:28 AM

What happened to OKC.,Utah.,Denver.,Mavs???Utah will be interesting to see, but none of those teams have posed a threat to the Lakers in the past three seasons, and the Lakers did pretty good guarding Durant last season and winning the series in 6.

RulerSlick
08-19-2010, 05:08 AM

Those teams aren't contenders at all lol. Solid but not contenders. The road to the Finals is much harder in the East than it is in the West.

Heater4life
08-19-2010, 06:10 AM
West is still King. East is top heavy.

Hawkeye15
08-19-2010, 08:33 AM
not really. The east finally has 3 teams capable of winning it all. But the west, teams 4-13 or so, are still far superior.

Hawkeye15
08-19-2010, 08:33 AM
I mean, can anyone debate that the Grizz wouldn't easily be a playoff team in the east???

pebloemer
08-19-2010, 08:50 AM
not really. The east finally has 3 teams capable of winning it all. But the west, teams 4-13 or so, are still far superior.

This.

I think people don't give enough credit to the West because of how well LA has faired in the playoffs the past couple years. The only team in the East that has legitimately challenged the Lakers in the playoffs the past couple years has been Boston. The Lakers cleaned through Orlando easier than many Western opponents...

West is still stronger. Miami and Boston are biggest contenders out East. Orlando and possibly Chicago could be contenders in a similar manner as OKC, Utah, Dallas, Denver (if healthy and undistracted by Melo possibly leaving), Portland, etc.

DisturbedFTW83
08-19-2010, 09:02 AM
I mean, can anyone debate that the Grizz wouldn't easily be a playoff team in the east???

In all actuality, they're not in the East. That's like saying the Nets would have 1-2 wins if they were in the West.

But to answer your question, they'd be 7-8th seed if they were in the East. Rudy can take the team 5-8 in the East, but not 1-4.

Big Zo
08-19-2010, 09:10 AM
The west is the west and I feel will always be a stronger conference until proven otherwise..... Amare is not that big of a power shifter lol

Always? Really? Check and see which conference has the most championships...

DisturbedFTW83
08-19-2010, 09:11 AM
As for the topic, just seems to me that a lot of power players in the West are getting older, Duncan, Dirk, Nash, dare I say Kobe? Those were my top 4 dominant players in the West, then you HAD Garnett who went to Boston, then Boston won.

Amar'e may not be the biggest blockbuster signing this offseason (obviously we know who was) but him headed to the Big Apple may draw in players from the West to play along side him. As Eastern teams stack up with unbelievable talent, the West waits, gets older and will fade. It's the NBA's circle of life I guess.

I'm hoping the East dominates, it's been a while since they've been given any respect. In a couple years, the West will be led by Durant and Aldridge, I don't know why but I love his game. Oh and Brandon Roy. He's sick too.

Then you have Miami, Boston (getting older), Orlando, Chicago, NYK (cap room?), all prepared for a run at a championship. Then the other teams (low garbage ones) got the first 3 picks in the draft. Wall, Turner, Favors. All Eastern Teams that can build around them too. Not discounting the next 3 who were picked, all Western Teams, but those guys chosen 1-3 were top 3 for a reason.

It's bound to happen and swing conferences every decade, so perhaps it's the time of transition that it's going to be the East turn for dominance.

Hawkeye15
08-19-2010, 09:12 AM
In all actuality, they're not in the East. That's like saying the Nets would have 1-2 wins if they were in the West.

But to answer your question, they'd be 7-8th seed if they were in the East. Rudy can take the team 5-8 in the East, but not 1-4.

well, I agree, what if scenario's are stupid, but simply put, the Grizz have a roster that would be in the playoffs in the east.
Bottom dwellers are bottom dwellers. Their conference doesn't matter

Steelers23_06
08-19-2010, 09:50 AM
like mufasa said its the circle of life. i feel like its because wherever the power house is at the conference has to adjust and before the lakers were the power house and teams were trying to have a chance and now that the power house is the heat (whether you like it or not) so teams are going to have to mold to beat them.

Hawkeye15
08-19-2010, 10:00 AM
like mufasa said its the circle of life. i feel like its because wherever the power house is at the conference has to adjust and before the lakers were the power house and teams were trying to have a chance and now that the power house is the heat (whether you like it or not) so teams are going to have to mold to beat them.

but the overall strength of the two conference's, still sways out west. Considering all 15 teams in each conference, the west is better.
And you should know, until proven otherwise, the road to the Championship begins in Los Angeles

xbrackattackx
08-19-2010, 11:33 AM
I think it's about even now.

show34
08-20-2010, 05:34 AM
not really. The east finally has 3 teams capable of winning it all. But the west, teams 4-13 or so, are still far superior. man u must be high there is only one team in the west its the lakers and sometimes the spurs and thats it

show34
08-20-2010, 05:38 AM
east has to many teams on a given night that can knock off al but the lakers Bulls heat magic bostonnow the bucks are stronger hawks looking better i say its shifted to the east

icej
08-20-2010, 05:56 AM
Yes it has shifted to the east

Hawkeye15
08-20-2010, 08:25 AM
man u must be high there is only one team in the west its the lakers and sometimes the spurs and thats it

the strength of each conference is totally different. Outside 4 teams in the east, there isn't a team in that conference that could even make the playoffs out west. The east is top heavy with 3 teams. Chicago is good. But teams 4-13 in the west take a dump on teams 4-13 in the east.
Strength of conference has far more to do with all 15 teams than the couple up top

Hawkeye15
08-20-2010, 08:26 AM
east has to many teams on a given night that can knock off al but the lakers Bulls heat magic bostonnow the bucks are stronger hawks looking better i say its shifted to the east

the same Hawks that looked like a junior varsity team in the playoffs, and did absolutely nothing in the offseason except terribly overpay Joe Johnson? And Milwaukee didn't really get better. Their win total will rise from internal player development, not their acquisitions.