PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 Offseason

Polandice
08-18-2010, 03:18 PM
How would you improve this team going forward into 2011 and beyond?

I was looking at the list of possible free agents and Carl Crawford's name stuck out in my mind as a perfect fit.

I see a line-up of:

Crawford LF
Escobar SS
Lind 1B
Batista RF
Wells CF
Hill 2B
Snider DH
Encarnacion 3B
Arencibia C

Snider could move out to the field to give Encarnacion, Batista and Crawford some time at DH.
This team can hit home runs, but they always have trouble when the ball stays in the park. Crawford is a run creator that hasn't been seen in Toronto since Shannon Stewart.

I see the rotation as:

Marcum
Romero
Morrow
Cecil
Mills

They will need to shore up their bullpen though, if they were to have any chance in the AL East.

What do you think the Jays shoud do?

ramz.n
08-18-2010, 03:23 PM
replace EE with bautista at 3B..Snider in RF

North Yorker
08-18-2010, 03:31 PM
If we stand pat (which is unlikely imo):

Romero
Marcum
Cecil
Morrow
Stewart/Drabek/Litsch/Rzep/Mills

Let EE go, Bautista to 3rd, OF of Lewis/Wells/Snider. Lind to 1st, JPA and Molina at C.

But we know AA likes to make moves so...

3B: Long term solution - Trade Marcum for a ML ready 3B spec
Short term solution - Trade a lower level spec for A. Ramirez. He has a big contract so it shouldnt cost much. If Cubs pay half his salary then they get a higher ceiling spec, if not they get a lower ceiling spec.

Sign a DH, preferrably a LH batter to balance out the line-up.

Ragun
08-18-2010, 07:19 PM
i really dont know why everyone is so high on crawford. the guy can steal bases but its not like he has an excellent OBP or OPS.

idrinkpepsi
08-18-2010, 09:49 PM
I really want to see an attempt to acquire a third basemen prospect like Josh Vitters (maybe aiming a little too high) I would also like to see the Jays arm themselves with some new bullpen arms because Downs/Frasor/Gregg could be gone in the off-season. As well as possibly keeping Jose Molina until we have another catcher who is ready to come up and back up behind Arencibia.

Polandice
08-19-2010, 09:48 AM
I'd much rather have Bautista stay in RF.
He has thrived there this year.

If they can find a 3B as well as an OF that's best case scenario.
I think Lewis is highly over-rated, but he's batting around .270 and is OBP isn't that great, and his arm is suspect.

North Yorker
08-19-2010, 10:03 AM
I'd much rather have Bautista stay in RF.
He has thrived there this year.

If they can find a 3B as well as an OF that's best case scenario.
I think Lewis is highly over-rated, but he's batting around .270 and is OBP isn't that great, and his arm is suspect.

If your keeping Jose at RF, that means Snider in LF which means we have no leadoff hitter. I agree an upgrade over Lewis is needed, I would hang onto him as a 4th OF though.

ILDD
08-19-2010, 10:45 AM
The locks for next year are (IMHO)

Arencibia - C
Lind - DH/1B
Hill - 2B
Escobar - SS
Snider - LF
Wells - CF
Bautista - 3B/RF

2 Spots open - 3B/RF and 1B/DH and no obvious lead off hitter.

My solution would be trade Marcum away for a young 3B - Brett Lawrie. Play him everyday as lead-off and 3B. I know he plays 2B right now, move either him or Hill across to third.

Sign a free agent 1B/DH. Hundreds to choose from but I'd go for Adam Dunn, assuming he's interested in coming here. Ricciardi has gone now, maybe AA can get him? Signed to a 3 or 4 year deal would fit perfectly.

Don't go for Crawfrod, theprice will be through the roof and the years will be huge. He's not a good player in 3 years time when he loses some speed and we don't need another large contract hanging like a millstone.

Eagles4Lyfe
08-19-2010, 11:47 AM
another option in the OF can be werth but i dont think hes consistant enough to have because we have similar hitters to him already

Polandice
08-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Crawford could be a lead off hitter that this team hasn't had in forever.

TheHebrewHammer
08-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Rafael Soriano is my #1 Target

A Proven AL East closer, hes 31 so not too old, and with TB looking to shed salary i definitely think we should be after him.

Id be interested in testing the Market for Carlos Pena and Adrian Beltre but both of the Boras clients will probably get more than they are worth.

T.O. Fan
08-21-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm interested to see what happens with the rotation and pitching staff in general.

At this point the 5th spot would be up for grabs with guys like Rzep, Litsch, Richmond, Mills, Drabek and Stewart all potential candidates. Or, do the Jays try to sign or trade for a top starter?

What happens with Gregg, Downs and Frasor? Will the bullpen have a completely different look next spring?

What happens if McGowan comes back and is actually able to pitch close to where he was?

scottythegreat1
08-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Odds are, the Blue Jays will stay out of the Free Agent market except to get a few smaller pieces. Theyre not going to sign an aging first baseman.

They will let the Yankees sign Carlos Pena, Jake Westbrook, Jason Werth, and Carl Crawford. They will likely pull off a blockbuster trade involving Nick Swisher to get Joe Mauer (I started to see him in pinstripes once he signed that big contract with the Twins) there too. Of course Jeter will be re-sign (The voice of god has to be in Yankee Stadium) likely for another 5 years.

As for Boston, I dont see them signing anyone, maybe a relief pitcher or two, possibly an outfielder, thats it.

Baltimore might sign a has-been starter to be an ace (Dontrelle Willis comes to mind).

Tampa loses Carlos Pena and Carl Crawford to the Yankees, odds are, Pena will want to be paid 15 million a year, he is represented by Scott Boras. Carl Crawford will get the same, just for a few years more. Theres no way the Rays are going to raise payroll.

Asham
08-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Mauer has no trade clause, he aint going nowhere

North Yorker
08-21-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm interested to see what happens with the rotation and pitching staff in general.

At this point the 5th spot would be up for grabs with guys like Rzep, Litsch, Richmond, Mills, Drabek and Stewart all potential candidates. Or, do the Jays try to sign or trade for a top starter?

What happens with Gregg, Downs and Frasor? Will the bullpen have a completely different look next spring?

What happens if McGowan comes back and is actually able to pitch close to where he was?

If McGowan ever does come back I see him in the BP, maybe as a closer or SU man.

broncosfan_101
08-21-2010, 01:03 PM
If we stand pat (which is unlikely imo):

Romero
Marcum
Cecil
Morrow
Stewart/Drabek/Litsch/Rzep/Mills

Let EE go, Bautista to 3rd, OF of Lewis/Wells/Snider. Lind to 1st, JPA and Molina at C.

But we know AA likes to make moves so...

3B: Long term solution - Trade Marcum for a ML ready 3B spec
Short term solution - Trade a lower level spec for A. Ramirez. He has a big contract so it shouldnt cost much. If Cubs pay half his salary then they get a higher ceiling spec, if not they get a lower ceiling spec.

Sign a DH, preferrably a LH batter to balance out the line-up.

A trade for Aramis Ramirez is impossible. I looked into his contract and found that his club option for 2012 is guaranteed if he's traded and he picks up his player option for next year. He'll obviously pick up his $14.6 mill option for next year, and if he's traded that means he's getting $16 mill the year after. Nooooooooooooo thank you.

I love the Brett Lawrie idea, I was thinking about it a few days ago myself. The issue is when Hech is ready in 2012, where does everyone go? Yunel at 3B, Hech at SS, Lawrie at 2B, Hill DH's? Do we deal Yunel at that point? Maybe Hill goes to 1B if Lind isn't working out? Obviously having too many players is better than not enough, but it would be an interesting dilemma.

Tony Fernandez
08-25-2010, 11:28 PM
I'd expect the Jays to offer arbitration to Downs, Frasor, Buck, and Gregg, and let each of them walk for picks if other teams are willing to sign them.

AA will probably try to bring in veteran help at 1B, 3B, C, and in the 'pen, or seek to address these needs via trade for young, cheap players. While a Marcum/Lowrie deal might make some sense, trading a guy who looks like a legit #2 starter means giving up some of our surplus pitching, which can be used and/or packaged to address needs up the road when the team legitimately intends to compete. If you can get a top prospect who's ready to go right now you have to think about it, but dealing Marcum at this point makes little sense unless the package is one you can't refuse.

Additionally, trading Marcum seriously weakens the depth of the 2011 starting rotation, and increases the pressure on Drabek and Stewart to perform next year if a combination of Rzepcynski and Listch cannot fill the #4 and #5 roles.

I could see the Jays going hard after a Carlos Pena on a one-year deal plus a mutual option. I could also see them trying to address the 3B situation on the cheap by signing a guy like Mike Lowell, or perhaps even taking on the contract of Chone Figgins from Seattle at 3B. Although he's not an ideal option given his contract he would solve the leadoff problem, and his contract would expire in 2013 - right around the time the Jays will need more money to pay hopefully emerging players like Cecil, Drabek, Snider etc., Most importantly he probably wouldn't cost the Jays much in terms of assets as Seattle would likely just be happy to unload to contract as they rebuild.

In short, AA will likely seek to keep the team as comptetive as possible by signing more stopgaps without cripping the long-term salary structure of the team, and will try to do so by giving up as few assets as possible. However, given that the Jays will get the contracts of Halladay, Ryan, Encarnacion, Overbay, Downs, and Frasor off of the books next year (this is somewhat offset by arbitration and a $10M jump in Vernon's millstone contract) the Jays will have more money to play with this offseason than last.

A lineup like the one below, is not my ideal lineup, but the kind of thing I could see AA doing (mind you he'll probably blow all of this out of the water with some kind of blockbuster deal, which nets the Jays a stud prospect somewhere around the diamond).

1) Figgins 3B
2) Escobar SS
3) Bautista RF
4) Pena 1B
5) Wells CF
6) Lind DH
7) Snider LF
8) Hill 2B
9) Arencibia C

1) Marcum
2) Romero
3) Cecil
4) Morrow
5) Drabek/Rzepcynski/Litsch/Stewart

Pen - I won't even venture to guess at this point

wamco
08-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Rogers Communications bought the Blue Jays for $120M in 2000.
Forbes magazine valued the club at $326M in April, 2010.

Asham
08-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Whats the deal with Blue Jays fans and Chone Figgins?

wamco
08-31-2010, 07:20 AM
or jays and lack of 3bman. Bring back gruber. Or at least his hair.