PDA

View Full Version : Do you think any star wants to go to Houston and run the risk of playing with Yao?

JordansBulls
08-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Do you think any star wants to go to Houston and run the risk of playing with Yao?

Lately you haven't heard many stars ever stating they want to play in Houston even though the Rockets have a star in Yao Ming. Do you think it is because they believe it is a huge risk going there to play with the uncertainty of Yao's health?

Klivlend
08-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Assuming you mean, 'run the risk of playing without Yao', then No. I think he would be a major reason a player would go to Houston. He makes the games easier for perimeter players. If they don't think he will be there, they may not want to go. Kind of like how big FA's wouldn't sign with the Cavs for the past few years cause they couldn't get a commitment from LBJ that he would be there if they signed a long term deal. No one wants to be in Cleveland without LBJ. Players may not want to play for Houston without Yao, he is a star player. And, you could argue, his presence on the floor makes them instant contenders.

BAMF
08-17-2010, 03:47 PM
yao has come out and said he's thinkin about retiring after this season so that's not a good sign.

SurGiiCaL
08-17-2010, 03:55 PM
lul wut

SurGiiCaL
08-17-2010, 03:56 PM
run the risk with playing without yao... get into more detail

Bellz
08-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Yea if i was a star player. I would never ever want to play with stud 7'6 center.. That would be such a dumb move on any players part right?:facepalm:

John Walls Era
08-17-2010, 04:10 PM
yao has come out and said he's thinkin about retiring after this season so that's not a good sign.

Did you even hear him say that? No because he didn't. A reporter asked him what he would do if he got injured again and Yao said that if he keeps getting injured then he should retire.

MOREY=MONEY
08-17-2010, 04:10 PM

That is a bit misunderstood. Yao was asked about his injury and what his future plans were if he does not get better. His response was if he didn't get better he would consider retirement.

All signs point to him recovering well though. Now I doubt he will be back to his old self at the start of the season and maybe not at all, but it is not likley he will be a lame duck out there like T-Back was.

He will still produce respectable numbers.

dhopisthename
08-17-2010, 04:51 PM
I would worry about his health. His last 5 years here is his games played 57, 48, 55, 77, 0. That is very worrisome.

Baller1
08-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Yea if i was a star player. I would never ever want to play with stud 7'6 center.. That would be such a dumb move on any players part right?:facepalm:

Considering he's thinking about retirement, it could be a potentially "dumb" move.

lakerfan3118
08-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Ehh, I would say that the Rockets have a talented team after having got rid of McGrady as the centerpiece a few years ago. Brooks and Martin can potentially become elite players in the future, and they have Scola and Lee as nice complimentary pieces as well. Given their cap situation, they couldn't go out and grab a 'star' if they wanted to, but if Yao retires, I would think that Houston would become a very attractive destination for any number of FA's.

nanablvd
08-17-2010, 05:26 PM
I dont think the risk with Yao's injury is the decising factor for the stars' decision of playing for the Rockets.

Wade>You
08-17-2010, 05:37 PM
I think it plays a factor. Not many star players want to be stuck to a long term contract with an uncertainty of being able to compete for a title.

pippsux
08-17-2010, 05:40 PM
I am a rockets fan and even I don't think our team is....what do the kids call it....sexy. Also the league has become a guard friendly league, not a big man friendly league. Top guards today want the rock 20-25 times a game, they are not interested in feeding the big man. I hate to say it, but rockets need to evolve like the rest of league.

llemon
08-17-2010, 06:11 PM
I am a rockets fan and even I don't think our team is....what do the kids call it....sexy. Also the league has become a guard friendly league, not a big man friendly league. Top guards today want the rock 20-25 times a game, they are not interested in feeding the big man. I hate to say it, but rockets need to evolve like the rest of league.

Ideally, Rockets' players will follow the coaches instructions, and earn their paychecks.

But perhaps that is asking too much.

Positivity94
08-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Do you think any star wants to go to Houston and run the risk of playing with Yao?

Lately you haven't heard many stars ever stating they want to play in Houston even though the Rockets have a star in Yao Ming. Do you think shoes (http://sneakermaniac.com/) it is because they believe it is a huge risk going there to play with the uncertainty of Yao's health?

I don't feel like Yao is hurting the team though. I think if he had a good match up partner they could really do some work.

llemon
08-17-2010, 07:35 PM
I don't feel like Yao is hurting the team though. I think if he had a good match up partner they could really do some work.

You have no idea what Yao is capable of doing this coming season, good or bad.

And neither does Yao.

Hawkeye15
08-17-2010, 08:06 PM
I think many stars, especially wings, would love to play for Houston. But they need to see how Yao looks this year, and what he is going to do going forward. Getting a premier SF, or PG, to go along with Martin, a super efficient scorer, and Yao, would put Houston in the conversation for top 3 team if they could stay healthy. Imagine the following

CP3
Martin
Budinger
Scola
Yao

with Lowry, Miller, Patterson going forward. I assume it took Battier, Brooks, Lee, Hill, and pick(s) to get Paul

Verbal Christ
08-17-2010, 08:07 PM
sexy or not houston is not scared of making a splash with a big name player and have an owner who will sign the check. problem is who is worth it? and while some state that the league has gone more perimeter and while the statement has some validity, having one of those unicorn centers is becoming more and more valuable, and as far as evolving how havent the rockets evolved? dude they were without the 2 cornerstone pieces and still won 42 games in the brutal west, if that isnt evolving and adapting i dont know what is.

baseballguy247
08-17-2010, 08:26 PM
yao is done broken down. hate to see a great player get hit with so may injuries.

Kakaroach
08-17-2010, 08:40 PM
They might not even need a free agent. Morey has a TE he can now play with and many attractive young players for rebuilding teams. He could make a huge splash if he feels the need.

masalex1205
08-17-2010, 08:42 PM
I'd want to play there if I was a star w/ Morey as the GM

VinceCarter
08-17-2010, 08:46 PM

It's not that simple at all. :laugh2:

Yao is an injury concerning as he gets older with his large stature. Also he said he is considering retirement after this season so I do not think he plans on playing much longer...

NYKNYGNYY
08-17-2010, 08:47 PM
yao is to fragile, and they havnt really had an appealing team since mcgrady was healthy (cant even remember that)

thescore53
08-17-2010, 08:55 PM
they won 42 games in the tough west without yao.

smuffins353
08-17-2010, 09:01 PM
if I am a star player, no doubt....

with a GM like Morey you can always rely on him to put a competitive team around you

SouthSideRookie
08-17-2010, 09:13 PM
yao is to fragile, and they havnt really had an appealing team since mcgrady was healthy (cant even remember that)

You obviuosly haven't been watching lately, on Yao retiring, he never said that he's thinking about retiring, a reporter asked him if he would consider retirment if he was to have a major setback and he said he'd consider it.

NYKNYGNYY
08-17-2010, 09:16 PM
You obviuosly haven't been watching lately, on Yao retiring, he never said that he's thinking about retiring, a reporter asked him if he would consider retirment if he was to have a major setback and he said he'd consider it.

oh i didnt know i said he was considering retirement, i think i said hes fragile, *******:facepalm:

SouthSideRookie
08-17-2010, 10:05 PM

oh i didnt know i said he was considering retirement, i think i said hes fragile, *******:facepalm:

I was replying to your ignorant comment when you said the Rockets have not been an appealing team since Tmac left, ****** :facepalm:

Rafer17
08-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Houston would be a title contender if they had one more star to push them over the hill

Spurred1
08-18-2010, 01:44 AM
Yao and his health issues probably are a factor for some FAs. But then there are those FAs who are money chasers. They would go to Houston regardless of Yao as long as they're getting the huge contract. But I don't get the impression that the Rockets squander ridiculous sums of money on overrated players-so maybe some FAs don't feel they would get paid enough.
Rockets do have one of the more efficient FOs in the league.

JayW_1023
08-18-2010, 01:46 AM
Too many stars only want to play hard with the ball in their hands (aka McGrady), and Adelmans Princeton offense won't allow such mentality to screw up team chemistry.

King Henrik
08-18-2010, 02:04 AM
i think melo would be a great fit on Houston. perfect compliment to Yao

Antipod
08-18-2010, 05:51 AM
No TMac, no Yao(?) ... no more basketball appeal for Houston
Time to rebuild

mynameismo
08-18-2010, 06:58 AM
Well, even without Yao.. this is a very competitive young Rockets team.

If Yao retires or doesn't sign.. Would a Star want to be the new face of the franchise with great young core around him? I'd say Yes.

KnicksorBust
08-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Brooks, Kev Martin, Scola, and their young talent is a nice backup plan.