PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wilner SUCKS

masTOR_shake1
08-17-2010, 01:54 PM
This guy (host of the Jays' postgame and discussion show) should just give it up. After Shawn Marcum's one-hitter all he talks about is how people in his blog are more excited about it being the draft-pick-signing deadline and not focusing on his great performance :facepalm: Firstly, what a duchey hypocrit move not talking about Marcum's performance really, only that people on the internet are not focusing on it while taking it out on the people who JUST LISTINED to the game and clearly were absorbed in it. Secondly, as good as a night as it was for Shawn, individual accalades in a season where playoffs are not in the cards mean S*^& all to me and most fans I feel. This especially when sharing the spotlight with a night where we may or may not add a bunch of potentially core players to the team we are building towards, not to mention this is the same duche who was getting all up in Cito's grill not long ago and got suspended for it. I just plain and simple think this guy is terrible and doesn't deserve the job he has. Thoughts?

Bob_at_york
08-17-2010, 02:22 PM
I believe that people should have been concentrating on talking about a really great pitching performance. The draft pick signings are great but the main story should be the game that was played.

Meanwhile, Wilner can be rude but I believe a lot of the callers that call in have no idea what they are talking about. They try to weed as many of them as they can but of course many still make it the air and when he proves them wrong using stats, suddenly they think Wilner is a dick. Why can't people just admit they are wrong?

Gibby
08-17-2010, 02:35 PM
I believe that people should have been concentrating on talking about a really great pitching performance. The draft pick signings are great but the main story should be the game that was played.

Meanwhile, Wilner can be rude but I believe a lot of the callers that call in have no idea what they are talking about. They try to weed as many of them as they can but of course many still make it the air and when he proves them wrong using stats, suddenly they think Wilner is a dick. Why can't people just admit they are wrong?

Wilner doesnt admit he is wrong either because he has a huge ego. He proves callers wrong when they make stupid statements. but why doesnt admit when he makes a mistake him self.

i remember he was talking about the tampa bay rays before the season and they were a fluke in 2008 and they wont be good in 2010. when a caller asked about that this year, he just said " this is the jays talk and not rays talk" and didnt respond to the question.

fatkev78
08-17-2010, 02:39 PM
We usually get one or two of these Wilner sucks threads every year.
I don't hate, nor love the guy, but yeah his show last night was pretty ridiculous. What does he want - every caller who just got done watching the game to say the same thing by stating the obvious in an outstanding performance by Marcum?
The signing deadline was right at the time of the show. To me it was great to hear that so many people cared about the draft and everything else going on with the Jays.
I think Wilner (like some on here) just likes to argue for the sake of arguing.

scotttube
08-17-2010, 02:48 PM
I think I was just more interested in the draft deadline because it was harder to get information on it. At about 1 am after just listening to the game I knew exactly the way Marcum pitched - dominantly. I didn't know who signed and who didn't and what every team got which is then what I focused my attention to.

T.O. Fan
08-17-2010, 03:08 PM
I don't mind Wilner, but he definitely needs to get over himself.

There are many times where he talks down to callers like he's better than them, which is basically talking down to your customers (listeners).

Halladay
08-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Wilner is Wilner. The guy has a huge ego and this is well known. It's one thing to be confident in what your saying, it's another to generalize the fanbase which is something he seems to do quite often. When people do call in a prove him wrong or make good counter-points he seems to get offended and frustrated. He comes off like everything he's saying is 100% correct much of the time. I don't hate the guy because he does know what he's talking about most of the time but generalizing the fan base is what bothers me more then anything. When there's a new poster around here who gives an un-educated opinion, do we rip them apart? Most of the time, no. Because they don't know any better. People call in and don't have the same knowledge for the game that he does but instead of politely correcting them he bashes them and calls them an idiot. That's not how you debate or argue, it's just immature and smug.

frostilicus
08-17-2010, 03:52 PM
he reminds me of WillRain... and that's not a good thing lol

JAYZFAN9
08-17-2010, 03:54 PM
^ lol ! beauty comparison

Shifty1 69
08-17-2010, 03:55 PM
This guy (host of the Jays' postgame and discussion show) should just give it up. After Shawn Marcum's one-hitter all he talks about is how people in his blog are more excited about it being the draft-pick-signing deadline and not focusing on his great performance :facepalm: Firstly, what a duchey hypocrit move not talking about Marcum's performance really, only that people on the internet are not focusing on it while taking it out on the people who JUST LISTINED to the game and clearly were absorbed in it. Secondly, as good as a night as it was for Shawn, individual accalades in a season where playoffs are not in the cards mean S*^& all to me and most fans I feel. This especially when sharing the spotlight with a night where we may or may not add a bunch of potentially core players to the team we are building towards, not to mention this is the same duche who was getting all up in Cito's grill not long ago and got suspended for it. I just plain and simple think this guy is terrible and doesn't deserve the job he has. Thoughts?

I disagree.

Wilner is opinionated, yep... most good hosts are. As for cutting off ******** questions/callers... I dont mind one bit, would rather get to better calls than have him humour every idiot for 2 mins. I dont like or agree with everything he says, but then again I dont get too worked up about any radio call in shows/hosts.
For the record, I have no problem with him questioning Cito's abilities, I think most of us on here have/do question his decisions fairly regularily.... tho it seems like there are less terrible managerial moves lately outside of a few things (like batting Snider leadoff:confused:).

bomber0104
08-17-2010, 03:56 PM
I used to listen to the guy regularly 3 or 4 years ago and actually enjoyed the show. I stopped doing that but i might catch a random show every now and then. It sure seems to be that the guy has gotten more cocky with time. Everytime i listen now, i feel bad for the people that call in and end up turning it off after a few minutes.

He does get some stupid people though

bomber0104
08-17-2010, 03:57 PM

I think i was the first one to bring that up.. i still think its him. they have the exact same beliefs when it comes to baseball

Shifty1 69
08-17-2010, 03:57 PM

While that may be a fair comparison... lets not forget that WillRain and his long winded responses contributed a 1000x more to this site than you ever have.

Not baiting, just pointing out the obvious.:cool:

Manatoo
08-17-2010, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=Shifty1 69;14600801]While that may be a fair comparison... lets not forget that WillRain and his long winded responses contributed a 1000x more to this site than you ever have.

this

frostilicus
08-17-2010, 05:17 PM
While that may be a fair comparison... lets not forget that WillRain and his long winded responses contributed a 1000x more to this site than you ever have.

Not baiting, just pointing out the obvious.:cool:

To be fair, WillRain is perpetually unemployed and while he may have contributed to this site, he contributes nothing to society as a whole. I'm sure his wife and kids were very proud of his Internet credibility and post count... Also just pointing out the obvious. :cool:

Gibby
08-17-2010, 05:23 PM
^ not cool

Asham
08-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Maybe because the game was on sportsnet one

boilerguy2412
08-17-2010, 07:54 PM
yeah he's a douche sometimes but 99.5% of the time he knows what he's talking about

scotttube
08-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Those were the good ol' days. We need to bring back Will somehow.

Bjaxn45
08-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Wilner knows what he's taking about for the most part, when he cuts off stupid people for that very reason, it's fine. But I cannot stand when someone makes a good point and he just shuts it down. Numerous times I remember someone calling in, giving stats and disproving him and all he will just flat out disagree.

It's not right that he will correct stupid callers with stats, and then when someone does the same to him, he will say that those stats probably aren't right and won't acknowledge them.

Shifty1 69
08-18-2010, 01:31 PM
To be fair, WillRain is perpetually unemployed and while he may have contributed to this site, he contributes nothing to society as a whole. I'm sure his wife and kids were very proud of his Internet credibility and post count... Also just pointing out the obvious. :cool:

That may be.... but I dont care if hes a doctor or bum, he made this site more informative and interesting. Was he a responsible adult? Never cared.:cool: He was very opinionated and often on the defensive, but he never ran and hid from what I saw.... right or wrong, he backed his #### up.

Like a much wordier and more egotistical version of Twitchy, IMO... :D

You primarily make smartass remarks, occasionally funny ones.

Shifty1 69
08-18-2010, 01:34 PM

Sorry, not looking for a big intraweb catfight... but I just wanted to point out what solid move it was to attack the mans whole being based on your knowledge of his internet persona.... well played.:rolleyes:

Jays Claw
08-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Mike Wilner speaks the truth when it comes to statistics. All his arguments are practically based on statistics, so it's hard to prove him wrong.

DiehardJaysFan
08-18-2010, 05:11 PM
I liked when willrain was here. He backed up his opinions and cares about the Jays.

wamco
08-20-2010, 06:20 PM
he is living in JP's garage loft