PDA

View Full Version : Halladay; Our Future Closer?

The_905
08-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Was thinking about this today and wanted to hear what everyone thought about it.

At the end of his contract with the Phillies in '13 Roy will be 36 years old (a great age to transform him into a lights out closer).

By all accounts the Jays will be within the next few years, knocking hard at the playoff door.

My question to everyone is, do you think that Roy should/ could return to Toronto once we are established as being a contender, to be our closer and put us over the top?

heusy_79
08-17-2010, 01:23 PM
He could make a great closer yes, but at the age of 36 Doc could still be a top 10 or 20 starter in baseball.

Bob_at_york
08-17-2010, 01:39 PM
He could make a great closer yes, but at the age of 36 Doc could still be a top 10 or 20 starter in baseball.

I agree, especially with Doc's work ethic. If he wants to continue starting then he will.

bomber0104
08-17-2010, 01:44 PM
what makes you think Halladay will want to become a closer and only pitch 60 innings a year instead of 250

Gibby
08-17-2010, 02:17 PM
your assuming DOC cant be top pitcher at 36. He is 33 now and hasnt shown any signs he cant handle the work load and still in cy young form. doc is more valuable as a starter than a closer

The_905
08-17-2010, 02:25 PM
your assuming DOC cant be top pitcher at 36. He is 33 now and hasnt shown any signs he cant handle the work load and still in cy young form. doc is more valuable as a starter than a closer

But you're assuming doc will be the same picture at 36. Eventually logging 250+ innings every year is going to catch up with him and he will at some point in the next 5 years start thinking about the closer role imo.

Just an idea is all..

BlueJayFanDan
08-17-2010, 02:26 PM
I think Doc is going to age better than a lot of pitchers because he doesn't throw an overpowering ball, he has a great work ethic among other aspects. I think he can last until his early to mid 40's barring a serious injury. I am still hoping he comes back after his Philly days are done and I would love for him to start for us again and if it comes to a point when hes like 38 or 39 and he is back and can still play I would love to see him in relief or as a closer.

Pride
08-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Doc throws a lot of innings, but his pitch count is low. So, the innings total don't hurt nearly as much as you would think.

JimBob
08-17-2010, 02:52 PM
BlueJayFanDan - Halladay has topped out at 95mph this season.

However, barring serious injury, Halladay will still be starting games when he is 36.

jaysrocksox
08-17-2010, 03:07 PM
I do think he'll be back, but as a starter again. But who knows, with the way our starters have been doing...we may not need him back, or there may be no room for him.

scotttube
08-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Isn't he a starter... Maybe he could be the starter that puts us over the top.

His stuff never screamed closer to me at all. The most likely inning you are to score against him is the 1st inning and after he settles into a groove is when he's lights out. Part of what makes him so dominant is his stamina to pitch deep into games and get better as the game goes on. I don't think he would be a bad closer but he wouldn't be nearly as elite as he is as a starter.

The_905
08-17-2010, 03:32 PM
^ I do agree with your logic, but don't you think if Doc was deemed the closer that he would devote all his time and energy to make sure he was the best possible closer he could be? The guy is a gamer and put in the closer role he would learn how to be a dominant.

Ragun
08-17-2010, 06:32 PM
not happening. doc will be a starter for the rest of his career unless he starts to really suck which i dont see happening either.

BlueJayFanDan
08-17-2010, 06:37 PM
BlueJayFanDan - Halladay has topped out at 95mph this season.

However, barring serious injury, Halladay will still be starting games when he is 36.

Yeah, but he is not as overpowering as a lot of the other pitchers. His fastball is usually 91-93. I think that gives him an advantage over guys like Lincecum for instance.

D-Train#35
08-17-2010, 06:39 PM
I'd bring him back as a starter. He can still be a legitimate ace and everyone is saying that all of our pitchers have "top-end #2 or top-end #3" potential so bringing in another "true" ace would be good. Especially with all of our young talented arms, we will have one of the youngest starting rotations in baseball for the next few years so having a veteran like him to teach the young guys would be valuable. Of course that is 3 years away and a lot could happen.

BlueJayCarter
08-17-2010, 06:52 PM
It would be nice to bring back Halladay when the Toronto Blue Jays are in contention every year, let us say when he is 36, so three years down the line.

Let us say we have traded Marcum at some point in the next three years for pitching or offensive piece that would get us closer to the prize.

We would still have

Romero, Cecil, Morrow, Stewart, Drabek, Mcquire, Sanchez, the other compensatory pick Sna something, plus others already in the show or waiting in the wings for rotation spots. Putting a 36 year old in the rotation would be good for a stretch run into a playoff scenario but it would not be ideal forever, and like others have said I don't think Halladay would want to be a closer.

He has the mentality of a starter and I think he will most likely remain a starter until probably his last or second last year of MLB ball when the only offers coming in would be to be reliever or closer ... or he might just hang it up and call it quits.

JaysFan87
08-17-2010, 06:59 PM
But you're assuming doc will be the same picture at 36. Eventually logging 250+ innings every year is going to catch up with him and he will at some point in the next 5 years start thinking about the closer role imo.

Just an idea is all..

for the record he has topped 250 only once in his career and has topped 200 innings only 7 times in his career (assuming he hit 200 this year which is all but guaranteed)....so no he doesnt really have that many innings on his arm compared to other starters who are 33.

idrinkpepsi
08-17-2010, 07:54 PM
I'd love to see Roy Halladay as the closer in Toronto without a doubt without major injury he will still be a good pitcher when his contract his up with Philly. I really want to see Roy back in a Blue Jays uniform even if its only like Nomar to sign with us and then retire. Halladay really would only fit in the bullpen with all our young pitching prospects by that time the Jays would be playoffs contenders probably and it would be able to deliver possibly on what we weren't able to when he was with us.

H-MYK
08-17-2010, 07:56 PM
I doubt we would see Halladay as the closer

superfio
08-17-2010, 08:49 PM
We lost Halladay this year, but who can really tell the difference looking at the win-loss record... what is clear though is that the whole pitching staff is all on the same page over the whole season

I mean, bringing back Halladay is great for any team, but it will reinstall his over-serious / isolating attitude in the clubhouse again as well ...

Not sure we want that to affect the chemistry between the young fun-loving guys like Romero, Cecil and Morrow etc... Remember how they all credit Marcum for his casual leadership, which is most intangible aspect of baseball and often overlooked but not a bad thing at all...

dtmagnet
08-17-2010, 09:37 PM
I think he has moved on from Toronto, I'd love to have him back I just think he is mentally no longer a Blue Jay.

BlueJayCarter
08-17-2010, 09:57 PM
I think he has moved on from Toronto, I'd love to have him back I just think he is mentally no longer a Blue Jay.

I think you are right, and that is not a bad thing, it is not a slight to him in any way or to the Blue Jays but it was let us say the perfect divorce for team and player.

The player thanked the organization and fans for supporting him through 12 years ... and the team is not floundering without him and their young pitchers are growing, maturing, and preparing for future playoff contention with a new "Quasi-Ace" (Marcum).

I do think when the Phillies come back to the Rogers Centre next year and Doc is scheduled to pitch there will be emotions, positive emotions from the fans and from Doc. But even with all the good emotion, I still hope the Blue jays next year kick his ***.

JetLi
08-17-2010, 09:58 PM
I like the idea, but I really would like to see Halladay work to become the last 300 winner in baseball. A bit of luck for health, a few more runs scored by his offense, and he might make it if he wants to keep pitching until he's 40-41 years old.

Nofear
08-18-2010, 05:23 AM
I don't see it happening anywhere let alone happening in Toronto. Halladay doesn't strike me a someone who'd want to close. All those complete game make me think he's someone who whats to finish what he started not finish what someone else started.

If he isn't good enough to be a top starter, he'd probably walk away first before taking a lesser role.

koreancabbage
08-18-2010, 07:46 AM
he's like the next Glavine lol, how old did he pitch till?

scottythegreat1
08-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Roy Halladay will be starting games until he is 40 for sure. Odds are, he will be pitching until he is 44. As far as Im concerned, he is the modern day Cy Young.

Bjaxn45
08-19-2010, 12:43 PM
^ I do agree with your logic, but don't you think if Doc was deemed the closer that he would devote all his time and energy to make sure he was the best possible closer he could be? The guy is a gamer and put in the closer role he would learn how to be a dominant.

If Halladay were to come back, it would be on his terms and he would be starting. Halladay already did that transformation. When he first started he was a fireballer who threw upwards of 96-97. He made a complete makeover and changed his arm slot and mechanics to get more movement and pitch to contact. To try and change him again would be silly.