PDA

View Full Version : A Pair of Aces?

The_905
08-17-2010, 12:15 PM
An interesting article out of the Miami Herald today has posed a legitmate question.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/17/1779642/blue-jays-getting-lucky-with-a.html

So, what do you guys think, will we have a bonafied TWO ace staff in the years to come?

D-Train#35
08-17-2010, 12:19 PM
We have two staff aces right meow :)

heusy_79
08-17-2010, 12:25 PM
The possibility is definitely there that both these guys could blossom into Ace-caliber pitchers. I love that this article comes from the Miami Herald, it shows that more than just Canadians have noticed the work AA has put into building this up-and-coming team. Not that I've completely given up on this season, but with some bullpen improvements and a veteran bat added this off-season this team would be on-par with any team in baseball next season in terms of depth and talent 1 to 25 and would almost certainly be playing meaningful games in September. Call me a homer but the Yanks and Sox rosters just aren't as impressive as they seemed in years past and our system now stacks up against their's nicely IMO.

Asham
08-17-2010, 12:28 PM
We have 5 aces.

StayOnBoard
08-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Great article and fully agree...

I see our future rotation as Romero, Morrow, Cecil, Drabek and Stewart...

No one can complain about that - assuming Drabek/Stewart reach their potential.

Luca68
08-17-2010, 12:38 PM
thats a sexy rotation lol

pigspigs76
08-17-2010, 12:56 PM
fekc... the future is sooo dam bright its blinding!!!

I like all our young pitchers... and all our pitching prospects... its a good situation to be in :)

The_Realist
08-17-2010, 12:57 PM
^^ Roy Halladay is an ace. Nobody in our rotation is an ace(and most teams also don't have an ace). We have four number 2 starters.

StealingSigns
08-17-2010, 01:01 PM
^^ Roy Halladay is an ace. Nobody in our rotation is an ace(and most teams also don't have an ace). We have four number 2 starters.

Yep, but the article is basically saying the potential is there for the future:

Who knows, maybe both guys end up becoming prolific starters and the Jays end up with a pair of aces anchoring the rotation for years to come. To be sure, the talent is there to make that happen.

StayOnBoard
08-17-2010, 01:06 PM

Your right - currently this is the case.

Even if their ceiling is this year - I would STILL take 4-5 guys who are all #2 starters over 1 Ace (halladay) and a bunch of scrubs who are number 4 or 5 starters at best. Josh Towers rings a bell....

Bob_at_york
08-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Great article and fully agree...

I see our future rotation as Romero, Morrow, Cecil, Drabek and Stewart...

No one can complain about that - assuming Drabek/Stewart reach their potential.

so when do we trade Marcum?

BlueJayFanDan
08-17-2010, 02:29 PM
If everyone reaches potential, we would be hard to beat.

Bob Loblaw
08-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Did the Herald just put a new title on the TSN story?

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=330808

Bob_at_york
08-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Did the Herald just put a new title on the TSN story?

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=330808

the original story was credited to "Sports Network" which I guess could be TSN.

nstojic
08-17-2010, 04:08 PM

wow, what a realist :D

carson005
08-17-2010, 04:11 PM

Having a Roy Halladay in your pitching rotation is an unrealistic expectation, hes a top 3 pitcher in baseball. Romero is having an "ace like" season, if he does it again, woola! Hes an ace

jon32
08-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Having a Roy Halladay in your pitching rotation is an unrealistic expectation, hes a top 3 pitcher in baseball. Romero is having an "ace like" season, if he does it again, woola! Hes an ace

Agreed.
Romero will be an ace, Morrow has potential to be even better than Romero...and if he reaches it....ACE!!! Marcum.......dunno if hes an ace but pretty close.....after that with drabek , cecil...stewart.........they wont be aces except mayyyyybe drabek but if not those three are all great number 2's...............so 1-3 aces with 2 or 3 good number 2's is a pretty deadly rotation/

StayOnBoard
08-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Reminds me a lot of the old A's teams that had Mulder, Hudson and Zito in their rotation.

Not quite that good YET but its not too far fetched. Romero, Marcum and Morrow are all great pitchers and with Cecil, Drabek and Stewart waiting in the wings Im not concerned at all. What was once a huge weakness (as early as last year) is now a huge strength. Never would have called that one

Halladay
08-17-2010, 05:46 PM
I think everyone needs to calm down on the expectations for Morrow for the time being. He has looked brilliant and he's also looked awful. I still loved the deal that brought him over because of the arm he's got but it's starting to sound more and more like A.J Burnett.

The_905
08-17-2010, 05:58 PM
^ So you're saying everyone around baseball is wrong about Morrow? Come on stop being so pessimistic. This is his first full season starting of course he is going to have some bad appearances but you look at his work as a whole and he has lights our stuff with command getting better as he grows into his starter role.

Abdul Mutalib
08-17-2010, 06:10 PM
yep ... we got ourselves some nice young pitching. You cant ever have too much of that so w/ this type of offense and the wave of prospects who are due up in 2-3 or however many yrs, we can compete in the AL East. Finally.

JetLi
08-17-2010, 09:52 PM
I definitely think the Jays need to be considered when talking about pitching prospects and pitching depth. I've enjoyed the Jays for 25 years, this only gives me another reason to keep watching them and (when I have kids) to keep taking them to the ball park and love them with me! Go Jays Go!

Halladay
08-18-2010, 01:53 AM
^ So you're saying everyone around baseball is wrong about Morrow? Come on stop being so pessimistic. This is his first full season starting of course he is going to have some bad appearances but you look at his work as a whole and he has lights our stuff with command getting better as he grows into his starter role.

He's also being called a future ace I don't think I'm being pessimistic at all here more like a realist. To call the guy an ace already is crazy. He's been great some games an awful in others. People around baseball are wrong all the time so It wouldn't be a first. Like I said, I loved the deal when it happened when most didn't because I know what kind of arm he's got but to be this high on him this early is only setting yourself up.

koreancabbage
08-18-2010, 07:51 AM
If everyone reaches potential, we would be hard to beat.

hahaha

that goes for everyone in this league. no doubt out future is bright, but don't get ahead of ourselves, pitching is coming along amazingly one year removed from the legacy ala Roy Halladay and his departure. we still need to find balance in the batting line-up before we can contend.

nithanyo
08-19-2010, 11:49 PM

Agreed. All our starters are good, but a true Ace is extremly hard to find. I would say of 30 teams in baseball only 5-7 have aces. The Blue Jays had one last year.

IMO an ace has to strike fear in opposing batters. Sure our pitchers are young and have yet to earn the respect of opposing batters but its really hard to project an Ace.

carson005
08-19-2010, 11:52 PM
Agreed. All our starters are good, but a true Ace is extremly hard to find. I would say of 30 teams in baseball only 5-7 have aces. The Blue Jays had one last year.

IMO an ace has to strike fear in opposing batters. Sure our pitchers are young and have yet to earn the respect of opposing batters but its really hard to project an Ace.

I'm telling you Romero is an ace, he has been just as good as CC this year, better then Oswalt, just as good as Santana and Lincecum.