PDA

View Full Version : Lebron James Interview: Cleveland still on his mind

dnewguy
08-17-2010, 10:56 AM
And Clevelanders, because they were the bigger-city kids when we were growing up, looked down on us. ... So we didn't actually like Cleveland. We hated Cleveland growing up. There's a lot of people in Cleveland we still hate to this day.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5470162

LOL, Lebron need to leave the past in the past, he seems to still be mad that he's from the farm and other kids in Ohio are from the city. Just like one of my fav MTO fans have on his sig "life sucks, deal with it". BTW, Heat fans love you, you can now show those guys that you live in a better city of lights with sexy ladies, and men (if that's your choice) No Homo, No skittles, No Ellen, No mixed drinks.

Raidaz4Life
08-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah that's why he left because Cleveland hated that he was from Akron.

TheWatcher34
08-17-2010, 11:00 AM
yeah of course they drove him out of town. stupid "victim".

BOSTON617
08-17-2010, 11:14 AM
poor lebron excuses excuses

yanks19791024
08-17-2010, 11:23 AM
This is getting old really fast, I think even my Lebron hate is going away some

SupeUnagi
08-17-2010, 11:25 AM
you people are so gullible that it's starting to become sad

Sofnr
08-17-2010, 11:29 AM
The story looks at the weeks leading up to and just after his July 8 announcement on ESPN, which was widely panned. James said he wouldn't change anything about how he made his decision, or how he told the world about it.

James told GQ: "I understand that a lot of people would be hurt" in Cleveland by his decision, but also said that growing up, he and his friends from Akron didn't always like Cleveland. Akron is about 40 miles south of Cleveland.

"It's not far, but it is far," James told GQ. "And Clevelanders, because they were the bigger-city kids when we were growing up, looked down on us. ... So we didn't actually like Cleveland. We hated Cleveland growing up. There's a lot of people in Cleveland we still hate to this day."

James comments seem like they were probably taken out of context. I doubt he mentioned hating people in Cleveland while discussing how he knew a lot of people would be hurt. He's a huge ****ing dick if he did.

LeWade>Kobe
08-17-2010, 11:31 AM
This is the #1 story on ESPN.... :facepalm:

Sox72
08-17-2010, 11:36 AM

LOL, Lebron need to leave the past in the past, he seems to still be mad that he's from the farm and other kids in Ohio are from the city. Just like one of my fav MTO fans have on his sig "life sucks, deal with it". BTW, Heat fans love you, you can now show those guys that you live in a better city of lights with sexy ladies, and men (if that's your choice) No Homo, No skittles, No Ellen, No mixed drinks.

yep. this is definitely the reason. great find.

Khalifa21
08-17-2010, 11:50 AM
:yawn:

Jaji
08-17-2010, 11:55 AM
I been telling yall Akron kids don't like Cleveland!

Heater4life
08-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Lies!!! All lies!!!! **** Lebron!!!!

Lets burn down the establishment!!!!

:rolleyes:

ManRam
08-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Talk about putting words in his mouth. Did you read the whole thing? He never said he left because Cleveland kids looked down on Akron kids. He just mentioned it in the interview. If anything, it just shows how AKRON IS NOT CLEVELAND.

Jesus.

RedWings734
08-17-2010, 12:17 PM
But James, who announced on July 8 that he would leave the Cavaliers as a free agent to sign with the Heat, said of Gilbert's late-night letter: "I don't think he ever cared about LeBron.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Referring to yourself in the third person always helps your case when you have a image problem. Grow up LeBron.

ManRam
08-17-2010, 12:19 PM
I changed the title. I couldn't not do it. Not once does he indicate that he left Cleveland because growing up Cleveland kids looked down on him.

Some other quotables...

But James, who announced on July 8 that he would leave the Cavaliers as a free agent to sign with the Heat, said of Gilbert's late-night letter: "I don't think he ever cared about LeBron. My mother always told me: 'You will see the light of people when they hit adversity. You'll get a good sense of their character.' Me and my family have seen the character of that man."

James added: "It made me feel more comfortable that I made the right decision."

James told GQ: "I understand that a lot of people would be hurt" in Cleveland by his decision, but also said that growing up, he and his friends from Akron didn't always like Cleveland. Akron is about 40 miles south of Cleveland.

"It's not far, but it is far," James told GQ. "And Clevelanders, because they were the bigger-city kids when we were growing up, looked down on us. ... So we didn't actually like Cleveland. We hated Cleveland growing up. There's a lot of people in Cleveland we still hate to this day."

James said he'll remain anchored in Akron. "I'm going to spend a lot of the summer here," he said. "This is my home. Akron, Ohio, is my home. I will always be here. I'm still working out at my old high school."

All he's saying is the CLEVELAND IS NOT AKRON. They are different. He grew up in Akron, not Cleveland. His friends were from Akron, not Cleveland. Akron is in Akron, Cleveland is 40 miles away. He didn't even like Cleveland growing up.

Saying he may have left because Cleveland kids "looked down on Akron kids" is the absolute definition of putting words in someone's mouth.

ManRam
08-17-2010, 12:21 PM
But James, who announced on July 8 that he would leave the Cavaliers as a free agent to sign with the Heat, said of Gilbert's late-night letter: "I don't think he ever cared about LeBron.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Referring to yourself in the third person always helps your case when you have a image problem. Grow up LeBron.

That's not the typical circumstance where someone uses their name in the third person because they're a douche.

It's like saying "Gilbert didn't care about LeBron James as a person". Again, we don't know what the question was, what the conversation was before it. For all we know the question was, "do you think Gilbert cared about LeBron as a person, or just so you as some dollar signs". If that was the case, saying "I don't think he ever cared about LeBron" is more than an acceptable statement.

Again...it's amazing how people will find even the tiniest things to bring him down. I'm sure at one point all of us, every pro athlete, Mother Teresa etc. have said their name in the third person.

shep33
08-17-2010, 12:23 PM
That's a strange interview... okay I get that Lebron isn't a Clevelander and
he's from Akron, but honestly Akron is 39 miles from Cleveland so its the closest thing to playing in his home town. When he said he might come back to play with the Cavs, that just got confusing, he's trying to put the blame on the city of Cleveland by saying how growing up in Akron the kids disliked the Cleveland kids. The fact of the matter is, that the city of Cleveland absolutely loved him when he played there. No player on any team got as much love as him there, even when he didn't get them over the top.

BULLSFAN0810
08-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Screw lbj... I was ....was ...a fan of his ... I admit he should have given clevland a dead line to get better since he wasnt a complete player offensively himself and he couldnt seal the deal and he was ball dominate...i understand why he left,but i hate how he did it... I hate how he went on tv and shitted on clev...he coulda just left no press confrence and all woulda be decent...i hope he never can go back home...

John Walls Era
08-17-2010, 12:25 PM
How is this article worthy to be on ESPN? Looks like they still love Lebron over there.

homestarunner93
08-17-2010, 12:27 PM
"I don't think he ever cared about LeBron. My mother always told me: 'You will see the light of people when they hit adversity. You'll get a good sense of their character.' Me and my family have seen the character of that man."

We got a great sense of LeBron's character if that's the case. I'm not sure I would've broken out that quote if I were him.

ManRam
08-17-2010, 12:28 PM
How is this article worthy to be on ESPN? Looks like they still love Lebron over there.

How dare they?!?! Everyone must HATE HIM! Objectivity is not allowed!

SupeUnagi
08-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Screw lbj... I was ....was ...a fan of his ... I admit he should have given clevland a dead line to get better since he wasnt a complete player offensively himself and he couldnt seal the deal and he was ball dominate...i understand why he left,but i hate how he did it... I hate how he went on tv and shitted on clev...he coulda just left no press confrence and all woulda be decent...i hope he never can go back home...

hi, we stopped caring 3 weeks ago

SurGiiCaL
08-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Qq

SchyGuy11
08-17-2010, 12:32 PM

bulldog2683
08-17-2010, 12:46 PM
"....But I mean, even my family gets spoiled at times watching me doing things that I do, on and off the court."

Lebron, for your sake, just stop talking. Just do you and play bball.

Ethix11
08-17-2010, 12:47 PM
I thought he was going to say something good.

nanablvd
08-17-2010, 12:50 PM
was he trying to use his feelings toward Cleveland from his upbringing to explain why he decides to leave the team?

Ethix11
08-17-2010, 12:54 PM
yeah. to justify his decision a little more

Salvaged Ship
08-17-2010, 01:04 PM
"....But I mean, even my family gets spoiled at times watching me doing things that I do, on and off the court."

This guy is one of the biggest all time tools. Even my family gets spoiled watching me do the things I do??? How can you say something so egotistical is this guy for real!!!!!

NO CLASS

TheTakeOver24
08-17-2010, 01:07 PM

o god... that deserves a :facepalm: even from a Heat fan.
I blame Cleveland for spoiling him from a young age lol.

Heater4life
08-17-2010, 01:08 PM
We got a great sense of LeBron's character if that's the case. I'm not sure I would've broken out that quote if I were him.

This is basketball not the armed forces. Leaving a team is a buisness decision not betrayal.

PC
08-17-2010, 01:08 PM

Most likely taken out of context.

But honestly most fans should take your advice of leaving the past in the past. It's been a month, I'm sick of reading all the articles hating on LeBron...

Heater4life
08-17-2010, 01:12 PM
This guy is one of the biggest all time tools. Even my family gets spoiled watching me do the things I do??? How can you say something so egotistical is this guy for real!!!!!

NO CLASS

Maybe because all us fans become spoiled and feel the need to say a certain person "owes" us something. If i ever left my profession and someone told be i "owed" them anything, id leave it in the restroom for them to pick it up.

its easy to take quotes out of context. we dont even know the question asked.

Heater4life
08-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Most likely taken out of context.

But honestly most fans should take your advice of leaving the past in the past. It's been a month, I'm sick of reading all the articles hating on LeBron...

Me and you both brotha! i just want to talk basketball. Heat, knicks, thunder, magic, lakers, jazz idc!! lets just talk ball! i cant wait!

Salvaged Ship
08-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Maybe because all us fans become spoiled and feel the need to say a certain person "owes" us something. If i ever left my profession and someone told be i "owed" them anything, id leave it in the restroom for them to pick it up.

its easy to take quotes out of context. we dont even know the question asked.

"Sorry, just don't see how this below is taken out of context.

I don't care if you are a Heat fan or not, this is pathetic to say.

bulldog2683
08-17-2010, 04:46 PM
It's not taken out of context. He was criticized for saying that he spoiled the Cavaliers with his play for seven years. That was his defense. Now to say that you spoil your family on and of the court as a "Hey, everyone is spoiled by my talents, even my family" as quasi-defense for comment about the Cavs just seems bad taste.

I don't have a problem with Lebron, actually feel bad for the guy. However when he says things like this, it just makes you want to :facepalm:. It's like seeing someone with two broken legs try to walk. Painful to see. Poor guy is drowning in his own words.

Instead, he should just shut up and win "not 2,3,4,5 or 6, but 7" championships and let that do the talking.

ManRam
08-17-2010, 04:52 PM
It's not taken out of context. He was criticized for saying that he spoiled the Cavaliers with his play for seven years. That was his defense. Now to say that you spoil your family on and of the court as a "Hey, everyone is spoiled by my talents, even my family" as quasi-defense for comment about the Cavs just seems bad taste.

I don't have a problem with Lebron, actually feel bad for the guy. However when he says things like this, it just makes you want to :facepalm:. It's like seeing someone with two broken legs try to walk. Painful to see. Poor guy is drowning in his own words.

Instead, he should just shut up and win "not 2,3,4,5 or 6, but 7" championships and let that do the talking.

Did he really ever say "spoiled"? If so, I'd like to see a link actually.

Either way, he did spoil the **** out of them. Without him, the Cavs might not even be in Cleveland right now. He's the best thing that ever happened to that franchise, by a mile.

mark1125
08-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Has this not been covered 100 times over? He did what he did. You don't have to like it, but it's done. Move on.

bulldog2683
08-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Did he really ever say "spoiled"? If so, I'd like to see a link actually.

Either way, he did spoil the **** out of them. Without him, the Cavs might not even be in Cleveland right now. He's the best thing that ever happened to that franchise, by a mile.

Are you talking about this quote..."Hey, everyone is spoiled by my talents, even my family"? Because that is my own interpretation of it.

He did say "spoil." I assume you haven't heard or read, so I'll enlighten.

...I spoil people with my play...
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/cleveland-cavaliers-lebron-james-i-spoil-people-with-my-play

"And he said Cleveland fans were 'awesome,' but didn't take back his comment late last season that those around him were 'spoiled' by his play.

'I love our fans. Cleveland fans are awesome,' he told GQ. 'But I mean, even my family gets spoiled at times watching me doing things that I do, on and off the court'"

I did not have a huge problem with the "I spoil people [aka Cleveland organization and fans] with my play" comment, because in part, he did say some truth. I am sure every Cavs fun would rather have those 7 years of excitement than none at all.

However, what struck me as odd was his comment about how he spoils his family by what he does on and off (Hyperegoism?), or maybe I should not be surprised by that. Yet again this are my own thoughts, nothing more.

We are all witnesses. On and off the court.

WITZ
08-17-2010, 06:23 PM
What a tool saying he hates clevelanders but wouldn't mind coming back in the future, the Queen burned the bridges guarenteed he won't be back they probably won't even want him back after how he handled this whole thing.

sofargone
08-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Wow, good for LeBron for leaving Cleveland. Dan Gilbert seems like an *******. I hope Miami wins it all so Lebron can rub it in his face. I'll never understand how a guy signing with a different team is a betrayal. He doesn't really have an obligation to stay there, like he said he's from Akron not Cleveland.

Steelers23_06
08-17-2010, 06:48 PM
its not uncommon for a town to hate the city im from cape cod and alot of us didnt like bostonians because of their city attitude. especially if we were playing them in football they would talk trash and disrespect us(which is part of the game) but just because they were from boston it made it worse so i understand where he is coming from. and the ONLY way i see him coming back is if Dan Gilbert leaves. he should retire a cav so he could be loved in the state he is from. but i see where he is coming from i wouldnt care if boston hated me but it would be hard if the cape hated me.