PDA

View Full Version : Players Are Definitely Bigger Than A Few Decades Ago, But

NetsPaint
08-16-2010, 08:40 PM
why do people use athleticism as the reason why NBA players would beat them today?

One point I'd like to start off this thread with is, the officials are much more lenient with travels and carries, thus making them seem so much faster. I'm not saying the majority players aren't faster, just saying, speed isn't everything.

I know the game is different, but people look too much into athleticism instead of skill.

Hawkeye15
08-16-2010, 09:04 PM
I think the players of old are actually better. Sure there would be major athletic matchup problems presented by the players today, but the top 12 over the past 5 years, versus the top 12 player from the 80's and 90's would stomp today's imo

effen5
08-16-2010, 09:08 PM
90s had better fundamentals....

tredigs
08-16-2010, 09:13 PM
I think the players of old are actually better. Sure there would be major athletic matchup problems presented by the players today, but the top 12 over the past 5 years, versus the top 12 player from the 80's and 90's would stomp today's imo

Mostly because the premier center of this generation is Dwight Howard, though.

A lineup of prime (have to go back a few years for some):

PG: Cp3 / Nash

SG: Kobe / Wade

SF: Lebron / Durant

PF: Duncan / Garnett

C: Howard / Yao

That's only non-amazing at the center position, though because of that they would indeed be beat by a team starting a prime Wilt / Kareem / Shaq, etc.

Beyond that, I always hated the argument of comparing athleticism. For one, the older players are not lesser humans, they just didn't have the training of these times. If they did, they would be every bit as amazing as our top tier guys (some better, obviously).

I was about to write a long diatribe of a post that nobody would have probably read anyway, but my tri-tip's ready. Late!

Hawkeye15
08-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Mostly because the premier center of this generation is Dwight Howard, though.

A lineup of prime (have to go back a few years for some):

PG: Cp3 / Nash

SG: Kobe / Wade

SF: Lebron / Durant

PF: Duncan / Garnett

C: Howard / Yao

That's only non-amazing at the center position, though because of that they would indeed be beat by a team starting a prime Wilt / Kareem / Shaq, etc.

Beyond that, I always hated the argument of comparing athleticism. For one, the older players are not lesser humans, they just didn't have the training of these times. If they did, they would be every bit as amazing as our top tier guys (some better, obviously).

I was about to write a long diatribe of a post that nobody would have probably read anyway, but my tri-tip's ready. Late!

The biggest thing is, you need to define a period of time in which to grab players to compete. If you take the best from 1980-1995, of course you will get a better squad than from 2004-now.
And I agree, with the current training methods, and drills we have now, players back in the day would be better athletes. Imagine Nique nowadays....

ChiBulls91
08-16-2010, 09:24 PM
have you ever played against someone thats bigger than you? its pretty tough to do what you want

Hawkeye15
08-16-2010, 09:26 PM
have you ever played against someone thats bigger than you? its pretty tough to do what you want

what are you trying to say? The average height and weight in the league is actually no different nowadays. If it is, its beyond minimal.

ChiBulls91
08-16-2010, 09:40 PM
didnt know that to be honest, but really i think players from 85 on could compete with the players today. i was just more so saying why people would think that todays players would win.

Trouble87
08-16-2010, 09:48 PM
I don't think many fans think the younger guys would beat the older players

I don't think theres too many NBA players who could score on Olajuwon

Or stop Karl Malone & John Stockton from scoring

I would hate to see the #'s Magic would put up on todays PG's

NetsPaint
08-16-2010, 09:56 PM
What do all of you think before even the 80s though? Let's even bring it back to the late 60s-early 70s.

Avenged
08-16-2010, 09:57 PM
I just think many of us are too young to have a fair opinion. People just look at the stars today and see the level they perform, and go on to say the stuff the OP mentioned.

I mean we're also in a time where media coverage is more immense and there's so many basketball programs out there.

vinsanity15jp
08-16-2010, 10:08 PM
people only say the players are better today because everyone wants to say they were alive when an all time great played

Hawkeye15
08-16-2010, 10:22 PM
didnt know that to be honest, but really i think players from 85 on could compete with the players today. i was just more so saying why people would think that todays players would win.

1985 All NBA team
Magic
I. Thomas
Bird
King
Moses

1986 All NBA team
Magic
I. Thomas
Bird
Nique
Jabbar

please tell me how they couldn't beat
Kobe
Wade
LeBron
Dirk
Howard

we could debate all you wanted, but we haven't even thrown in MJ, and the teams from the mid 80's would crush Dwight, and the rest are fairly equal.

Avenged
08-16-2010, 10:24 PM
people only say the players are better today because everyone wants to say they were alive when an all time great played

I honestly don't think that's the case..

How many people actually go around thinking "the players are better today because I want to tell my grandkids I saw them play"

I mean, it may be possible, but I know something like that has never and will never be the reason onto why I think players of today are better.

Hawkeye15
08-16-2010, 10:24 PM
I am 35 in a month. I did watch those teams listed, and I think they would beat the current teams. LeBron would be a handful, but the center position now is pathetic compared to the old days, and the skill level is better back in the day as well

justinnum1
08-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Everyone just shoots J's now.

Hellcrooner
08-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Redeem Teamm vs Barcekona 92 vg team?

Sorry but the eldery would smack up Kobes boys *****,

They dont win A SINGLE match up except for the Latterner vs Whoever. AND IT SHOUDL HAVE BEEN SHAQ!!!!!!

IversonIsKrazy
08-17-2010, 01:48 AM
I think the talent stayed sort of the same. Players now are A LOT more athletic, but players back then were had a LITTLE better fundamentals. Still, I think the talent sort of stayed the same.

Htownballa1622
08-17-2010, 02:45 AM
I feel the older players were tougher and played harder but imo and I repeat IMO I think a lineup with lebron wade and kobe would be tough to handle.only thing I see different is that the older players had legit centers who could play(see hakeem,ewing,d.robinson,kareem, even young shaq somewhat) if dwight would stop working on dancing and focus on playing and developing at least one solid move togo to...he could be scary good.maybe hakeem helped him out somewhat this summer.

mynameismo
08-17-2010, 03:10 AM
Rules changed too.

If MJ played today he'll get 10+ more free-throws and average 40+.