PDA

View Full Version : Close to trading for Kentwam Balmer from the 49ers

NateyB24
08-16-2010, 01:09 PM
The Seattle Seahawks are finalizing a deal to acquire San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman Kentwan Balmer, according to multiple sources.

Terms of the deal weren't immediately available, but, according to sources, the Seahawks would only have to give up a low round pick, something between the fifth and seventh rounds. Those terms are being finalized Monday. Balmer was a first round pick of the 49ers in 2008.

NFC West Blog
ESPN.com's Mike Sando writes about all things NFC West in his division blog.

Network: NFL Nation

The Sacramento Bee first reported that the 49ers and Seahawks were close to completing a deal.

For the Seahawks, Balmer could fill multiple needs. He can help as a defensive tackle, but he can also help as a left defensive end and compete with Red Bryant for playing time. Defensive end is a big concern for the Seahawks.

Last Monday, Balmer left the 49ers after meeting with 49ers coach Mike Singletary. Though the team labeled his departure as personal reasons, sources indicate Balmer was having trouble figuring out his role with the coaching staff. Balmer has played in 27 games in his first two seasons with the 49ers but has never started. He was projected to be a backup defensive end in the 49ers' 3-4 scheme.

The 49ers gave Balmer a letter indicating he had five days to show up at the team facility. Monday was the deadline, and Balmer told the team he would show up. Knowing he was coming, the 49ers spent the weekend trying to make a trade.

An interesting subplot of the trade is that the 49ers are a division rival of the Seahawks and open the season against them.

Scot McCloughan, who drafted Balmer for the 49ers when he was the team's general manager, is now with the Seahawks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5467703

Hopefully a new change of scenery helps him to be better because it seems like he was non existant for the Niners.

Cheflhale
08-16-2010, 01:45 PM
We got him for a 2011 6 round pick

Thebudler
08-16-2010, 02:01 PM
I am very happy with the move. I remember the Hawks had a lot of interest in drafting him in 2008. Buying low! Balmer seems like a perfect fit at our 5 technique DE. Bad news for Foley/Reed, they may be the odd men out.

Blueballer
08-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Balmer is garbage. Have fun with that Seahawks fans!!!

Cheflhale
08-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Balmer is garbage. Have fun with that Seahawks fans!!!

Please go back to posting your garbage posts in the 49ers forum. You already piss those guys off enough.

kalel
08-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Balmers been in the league two years, one being under nolan who was crap, and under singeltary. Not really a whole lot to base of off to call him garbage really. I just hope he turns it around and kills the niners two times a year, just to shut their loud mouth fan base up.

Blueballer
08-16-2010, 02:27 PM
He won't even make your team and that speaks volumes . . .

NateyB24
08-16-2010, 02:29 PM

Seahawks run a 4-3 don't the 49ers run a 3-4?? Balmer was setup to fail because he played in a 4-3 in college. I guess with your guys defense he shouldve done better but its not like he was in a system to succeed.

Who cares though you guys front loaded the money we don't have depth at DT and since we only gave up a 6th rounder if he fails its not like we lost anything.

Blueballer
08-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Seahawks run a 4-3 don't the 49ers run a 3-4?? Balmer was setup to fail because he played in a 4-3 in college. I guess with your guys defense he shouldve done better but its not like he was in a system to succeed.

Who cares though you guys front loaded the money we don't have depth at DT and since we only gave up a 6th rounder if he fails its not like we lost anything.

It's definitely low risk/high reward for you guys and you didn't give up much to get him. I'm just telling you as someone who has watched Balmer over the years (including North Carolina) that it doesn't matter whether he's in a 4-3 or a 3-4. He doesn't have the work ethic, the quickness, the burst or the attitude to play in the NFL. He's big and that's about it. And he's all yours.

Blueballer
08-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Please go back to posting your garbage posts in the 49ers forum. You already piss those guys off enough.

I piss them off because I'm honest. And I'm just being honest with you. Balmer is garbage. Only reason he's on your team now is because McGloughan is in your front office and McGloughan drafted Balmer. And that's it. He will not have an impact on your team.

Kyle916
08-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Yeah, you better hope Balmer is pissed at the Niners. Otherwise, he's going to sink into obscurity with you guys. It's a no risk move though so I'll give you that.

Seattle4Ever
08-16-2010, 03:48 PM
The dude is 6-5, 315 pounds. We got him on the cheap, salary and draft pick-wise. He should get on a conditioning plan and drop 15 pounds. Even if he doesn't, I kinda have faith in him.

drew_ellis_23
08-16-2010, 03:50 PM

Have fun looking up at us in the standings. Blueballer? That sucks.

Seattle4Ever
08-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Scouting Report: Kentwan Balmer proved that he is a first round selection in the NFL Draft during his exclusive Pro Day with fellow former Tar Heel Durrell Mapp. More impressive than his numbers might be the fact that Balmer is starting to really look and feel like an NFL player. His body is leaner and stronger and that has really increased his agility on the field and it showed during the April Pro Day. Balmer has been doing everything possible to prove that he can reach his full potential and a team cannot ask for much more than great physical tools and the willingness to improve to go with it.

Balmer a possible fit as 3-4 End
Balmer has decent size at 6-5 and 295 pounds, but he can be labeled as a tweener at the next level. He could be an end in a 3-4 defense or a tackle in a 4-3. He’d need to bulk up a bit to play tackle, but he has a big frame and plenty of room to add some weight.

NateyB24
08-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah, you better hope Balmer is pissed at the Niners. Otherwise, he's going to sink into obscurity with you guys. It's a no risk move though so I'll give you that.

Does it matter? He will make the team no matter what our DT needs depth. If he succeeds great if he doesn't owell not a big loss. Funny thing is we own 2 of the biggest dissapointments in the 08 draft lol Jackson and Balmer.

furmat60
08-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Does it matter? He will make the team no matter what our DT needs depth. If he succeeds great if he doesn't owell not a big loss. Funny thing is we own 2 of the biggest dissapointments in the 08 draft lol Jackson and Balmer.

Hey now lol...give Jackson a little more time. I'm happy with this trade. Like others have pointed out, we really aren't losing anything. Why not give him a shot, especially on a division rival's team? We needed depth at DT anyways. Good pick up in my opinion.

Seattle4Ever
08-16-2010, 06:07 PM
I like Lawrence Jackson. I won't give up on him.

kalel
08-16-2010, 09:28 PM
In all honesty to me anyways this is just kind of a head scratcher. Not one that really stands out. But again this FO and Carrol have done some things this past off-season that had a lot of us wondering (i.e. the whitehurst trade) and look how well they have turned out, so far anyways. Plus Balmer is still a young player and hopefully Carrol can get him to his potential, plus it helps that we run a D where he is more affective.

ThUnDeR HaWk
08-16-2010, 09:37 PM
i saw that the seahawks are looking to aquire another RB or to: maybe antonio pittman and kolby smith? or marshawn lynch, darren mcfadden, steve slaton, are any ofthose guys available through trade?

also, do you think that pete carroll is interested in carolina WR dwayne jarrett? he was a star and drafted high but hasnt done much in carolina and is available. he has all the intangibles and is available for a low round pick (aka kentawn balmer)

or maybe another WR like malcolm kelly or devin thomas? adding another WR would allow the seahawks to trade branch .

also i think the seahawks should bring in another QB to challenge losman for the 3rd spot. he was awful saturday and a young QB could challenge him. maybe a trade for tyler thigpen? or sign a QB like andre woodson or rhett bomar?

furmat60
08-16-2010, 09:47 PM
We don't need another QB, RB, or WR.

ThUnDeR HaWk
08-16-2010, 10:49 PM
ya THE SEAHAWKS do. they could use all three , julius jones deion branch and jp losman should not be on this team

House
08-16-2010, 11:15 PM
The Seahawks will not even look at any of those guys you listed. You keep posting the same thing in every thread and none of it ever matters!

kalel
08-16-2010, 11:30 PM
They do not need a RB, WR, OR QB. We have a log jam at WR and just cut a WR (Hass) to make room for a DT wtih depression problems. Jones will hopefully (and should be) cut and Losman is a third string quarterback with starting experience, so A. who cares he is the third string quarterback they get paid to hold the clipboard and B. and prob most importantly how many times are this deep at quarterback and can say that there third string QB has starting exp. Not really that big a deal but if Matt does get hurt and he has been prone to it the last few years I would feel much better with losman who has played at this level then some young guy who hasn't.

seahawks509
08-17-2010, 01:30 AM
DE is a hard position to get used to in the NFL. Well DL in gerneral is hard. DE usualy take a couple years before you start to see something special. Look at Mario Williams. It also doesn't help that he has had 2 different coaches in 2 years.

Carroll has done his HW on this kid, and like we ahve seen beofre. When Carroll does his HW on a player and feels that he can help and signs him, it's usualy a good move. Our team and coaches will make him feel comfortable here, and I can definately see him making the team.

We gave up absolutely nothing, take a few time and see how this one pans out.

seahawks509
08-17-2010, 01:31 AM
I like Lawrence Jackson. I won't give up on him.

Yep, plus for some reason it just feels like we had coaches in the past who didn't know how to use him/develope him. Idk why but just a feeling.

NateyB24
08-17-2010, 01:41 AM
I wouldn't neccesarily call him a bust yet i guess Jackson has been a huge dissapointment thus far imo.

Also if Balmer was lazy why is he mad hes not a starter? That doesn't sound lazy to me. He also payed back 800k of his cash back to the 49ers he sounds like he wants to succeed to me.

Not like were risking anything.

FWBrodie
08-17-2010, 02:19 AM

Eh, Pete Carrol's base defense is a 3-4 in philosophy. My guess is Balmer competes to be Red Bryant's backup at LDE and maybe a little backing up of Mebane.

House
08-17-2010, 02:44 AM
Eh, Pete Carrol's base defense is a 3-4 in philosophy. My guess is Balmer competes to be Red Bryant's backup at LDE and maybe a little backing up of Mebane.

I think he'll be PURE depth behind Mebane and Bryant. I don't know what that says for other DEs (Foley, Jackson or Reed) looking to lock down spots.

NateyB24
08-17-2010, 02:48 AM

Ahh my bad i thought he was going to run a hybrid 4-3 defense didn't know he was switching to a 3-4 type.

seahawks509
08-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Ahh my bad i thought he was going to run a hybrid 4-3 defense didn't know he was switching to a 3-4 type.

Carroll calls it a 4-3, but it's pretty much a 3-4 with a leo.

W@rH@wk
08-17-2010, 10:48 PM
It is technically a hybrid 4-3 but the hybrid/leo part makes it very similar to a 3-4.

FWBrodie
08-18-2010, 07:20 AM
I think he'll be PURE depth behind Mebane and Bryant. I don't know what that says for other DEs (Foley, Jackson or Reed) looking to lock down spots.

Well Balmer won't be competing with Reed or Foley, but he could swoop in to unseat Jackson as Red Bryant's backup. Jackson is also competing at the Leo/Elephant/RDE position with Reed and Foley though.

House
08-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Well Balmer won't be competing with Reed or Foley, but he could swoop in to unseat Jackson as Red Bryant's backup. Jackson is also competing at the Leo/Elephant/RDE position with Reed and Foley though.

I understand it probably doesn't effect Foley/Reed for the RE position, I was speaking purely in terms of a roster spot.

I don't know if this was ever asked, but what are the chances of Leroy Hill playing the LEO as well, IF he sticks around???

W@rH@wk
08-18-2010, 02:44 PM
If Balmer pans out in any fashion similar to M.Williams it would be great. Either way it's another solid low risk/high reward move.

NateyB24
08-18-2010, 02:59 PM
If Balmer pans out in any fashion similar to M.Williams it would be great. Either way it's another solid low risk/high reward move.

I agree. Hes definitley going to get his chance now that Jackson was traded.

Gibby23
08-18-2010, 05:57 PM

You are saying M. Williams has panned out because of 1 reception and TD in a pre season game? Really?

Seattle4Ever
08-18-2010, 06:01 PM
You are saying M. Williams has panned out because of 1 reception and TD in a pre season game? Really?

Well he's showing signs of his old self.

Gibby23
08-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Well he's showing signs of his old self.

lol. his old self in the NFL has sucked in every year he has played. The last time he was good was in 2003, the last year he played at USC.

Seattle4Ever
08-18-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm talking about his USC old self, lol. We'll see how he does.

FWBrodie
08-18-2010, 07:32 PM

He's had an excellent camp. Making an NFL team would have been an accomplishment for him, and he's flying up the depth chart. He is almost free. I'd say that's panned out.

seahawks509
08-18-2010, 09:24 PM
I understand it probably doesn't effect Foley/Reed for the RE position, I was speaking purely in terms of a roster spot.

I don't know if this was ever asked, but what are the chances of Leroy Hill playing the LEO as well, IF he sticks around???

Never thought about that, but is a great idea. Leroy Hill is a phenominal blitzer, but when we got Peterson, there was no reason to ahve him blitz anymore.

That way we could use Hill what he is meant to do,and still have Hawethorne in the with the starting LB.

Since nothing has been done with Hill, I think it could happen, but who knows what Carroll has in mind with Hill.

House
08-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Never thought about that, but is a great idea. Leroy Hill is a phenominal blitzer, but when we got Peterson, there was no reason to ahve him blitz anymore.

That way we could use Hill what he is meant to do,and still have Hawethorne in the with the starting LB.

Since nothing has been done with Hill, I think it could happen, but who knows what Carroll has in mind with Hill.

I've been thinking about it for a while and out of curiosity, on Madden (I know I'm citing Madden), Chris Clemons is like a 77 and LeRoy Hill is a 91. I swapped them out and was getting tons of sacks off the edge.

It makes sense to me, Hill can blitz and playing at DE, he wouldn't be much of a liability in pass coverage (a huge weakness for him)!

seahawks509
08-18-2010, 11:52 PM
I've been thinking about it for a while and out of curiosity, on Madden (I know I'm citing Madden), Chris Clemons is like a 77 and LeRoy Hill is a 91. I swapped them out and was getting tons of sacks off the edge.

It makes sense to me, Hill can blitz and playing at DE, he wouldn't be much of a liability in pass coverage (a huge weakness for him)!

Its a great idea. I just think Carroll wants anything to do with Hill.

NateyB24
08-19-2010, 01:07 AM
lol. his old self in the NFL has sucked in every year he has played. The last time he was good was in 2003, the last year he played at USC.

In my opinion we are seeing the real Mike Williams the dude got suspended for a year and couldn't play in the 1st year of his NFL career then he sorta ate himself out of the league and now hes back and slimmer then ever and looks like he finally has gotten himself together.

MattColby
08-19-2010, 01:28 AM
Mike Williams is low risk high reward. He's gotten himself back into great shape and has been doing really well in camp. He's one of the guys I've got my fingers crossed on. I have a feeling he could have a big season.

W@rH@wk
08-19-2010, 12:23 PM
He's had an excellent camp. Making an NFL team would have been an accomplishment for him, and he's flying up the depth chart. He is almost free. I'd say that's panned out.
What he said. Plus I add that they're both low risk/high reward players. For what we got M.Williams for and what he's shown so far in camp and preseason I'd definitely say it's panned out. Not only in the physical aspects of his game but also in the mental and his willingness to work hard.

Sluggo
08-19-2010, 01:29 PM
If Williams continues to play like he's practicing he could be the second coming of Jurevicius, someone we should have never let go.

seahawks509
08-19-2010, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't really call Balmer a lowrisk/high reward, because we basically tarded away Jackson for him. Jackson was a former 1st round pick. Plus add the fact that we don't have a true pass rusher.

seahawks509
08-19-2010, 01:44 PM
If Williams continues to play liek he has been, he should win Come Back Player of the year.

NateyB24
08-19-2010, 03:00 PM
If Williams continues to play like he's practicing he could be the second coming of Jurevicius, someone we should have never let go.

We didn't really let Jurevicius go if i recall correctly he left us and wanted to go be closer to his faimly.

Sluggo
08-19-2010, 06:16 PM
We didn't really let Jurevicius go if i recall correctly he left us and wanted to go be closer to his faimly.

I should have said "let get away" vice "let go" money talks, we should have PAID him and not pursued Branch...

seahawks509
08-20-2010, 12:09 AM
None of us saw that comming though. I would have liked to see them both play together. Maybe that could have helped Branch out a little bit more. But it is what it is.