PDA

View Full Version : Lance Stephenson arrested for pushing his girlfriend down the stairs

Swashcuff
08-15-2010, 11:07 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/08/15/2010-08-15_lance_stephenson_indiana_pacers_nba_player_arre sted_for_pushing_his_girlfriend_d.html

Coney Island basketball star Lance Stephenson - a second-round Indiana Pacers pick in the June NBA draft - was busted yesterday for pushing his girlfriend down a flight of stairs, cops said.

Stephenson, 19, a legendary player at Brooklyn's Abraham Lincoln High School, roughed up Jasmine Williams, 21, in the stairwell of her Brooklyn apartment building about 5 a.m., according to police.

The 6-foot-5 rookie point guard's blows sent Williams tumbling head-first down 10 steps, requiring her to be treated at a hospital for injuries to her head and neck, cops said.

Stephenson, who played one year at Cincinnati before getting drafted 40th overall by the Pacers, was hit with a charge of third-degree assault. He was awaiting arraignment last night.

He had been considered a first-round talent but dropped to the second round due to off-the-court issues, including a 2008 bust for sexually abusing a 17-year-old girl inside of Lincoln High School.

SA5195
08-15-2010, 11:08 PM
:pity:

NEW YORK - Indiana Pacers rookie guard Lance Stephenson has reportedly been arrested for pushing his girlfriend down a flight of stairs.

According to the New York Daily News, Stephenson, 19, pushed Jasmine Williams down a stairwell in her Brooklyn apartment around 5 a.m. (et) Saturday morning. He was arrested later in the day.

Williams apparently had to be treated at a hospital for head and neck injuries after tumbling down 10 steps.

Stephenson, who played one season at Cincinnati, was noted for his off-the- court issues coming into this year’s NBA Draft. He was reportedly charged with third-degree assault and is awaiting arraignment.

Stephenson was the 40th selection of this year’s draft after spending one season with Cincinnati. He was the Pacers’ summer league team’s second-leading scorer with 14.8 points per game in four contests.

In his lone season with the Bearcats, Stephenson averaged 12.3 points in 34 contests.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2010/08/15/15033411.html

SA5195
08-15-2010, 11:10 PM
You beat me by a minute...mods can close my thread.

gwrighter
08-15-2010, 11:13 PM
:hi5:

i don't even know what to say. lol

Swashcuff
08-15-2010, 11:14 PM
You beat me by a minute...mods can close my thread.

i realised.... lol

its really sad to see a guy so talented already start to show why he was not favoured by most colleges and was drafted so far down. He's immensely talented and could turn out to be a quality NBA player if he gets his head right. But given his track record it may never happen.

Exactly what the Pacers did not want. Bad PR.

Fireworld
08-15-2010, 11:23 PM
:sigh:

Duncan = Donkey
08-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Seems like a stand up guy.

Rafer17
08-15-2010, 11:24 PM
:facepalm: Lance what are you thinking?

thescore53
08-15-2010, 11:30 PM
he was a new york phenom. very talented. but his only knock was his attitude and behaviour.

Avenged
08-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Sorry guys, but I don't even know who he is. :facepalm: @ myself.

He's my age though. :laugh2:

spreadeagle
08-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Bad for Pacers,this deflates there Collison High lol

knicksfan23
08-15-2010, 11:32 PM
wow

SA5195
08-15-2010, 11:34 PM
It's pretty sad. Pacer fans were saying he's gonna be a star and etc, but I think off-court issues are gonna hold him back.

Sports Illustrator
08-15-2010, 11:40 PM
It's pretty sad. Pacer fans were saying he's gonna be a star and etc, but I think off-court issues are gonna hold him back.

If he had his head right he could definitely be a star. It doesn't seem like he is doing the right things off the court. Now I see the reason why 39 other players were picked before him, when in reality he was a lottery to mid first round pick. If he continues, it'll be a shame for him because he has so much talent. Hopefully as he gets older, he will become more mature.

I have to admit, I was really upset when the Knicks passed up on him to draft Andy Rautins and Landry Fields, but this makes me feel a lot better.

DerekRE_3
08-15-2010, 11:49 PM
I didn't know Lance Stephenson's girlfriend was pregnant.

SugeKnight
08-15-2010, 11:50 PM
:sigh:

Catfish1314
08-15-2010, 11:52 PM
Neato, Lance sounds like a guy you can be swell pals with.

spreadeagle
08-15-2010, 11:54 PM
I didn't know Lance Stephenson's girlfriend was pregnant.

Really!? is that true...if so hes in a world of ****

JWO35
08-15-2010, 11:55 PM
Lil Wayne

"Beat the ***** up, call me Larry Holmes"

First thing I thought when I saw this....

Tmath
08-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Really!? is that true...if so hes in a world of ****

I think it was a bad joke

PrettyBoyJ
08-16-2010, 12:04 AM
I played against this kid.. anybody who seems him you wud think he's crazy

thekmp211
08-16-2010, 12:08 AM
hard to root for a guy like that.

netsgiantsyanks
08-16-2010, 12:16 AM
:pity:

sargon21
08-16-2010, 12:20 AM
he sucks anyway

WickedBadMan
08-16-2010, 12:24 AM
*****es running wild.

JayW_1023
08-16-2010, 05:32 AM
Knucklehead alert!

tredigs
08-16-2010, 05:50 AM
Knucklehead alert!

hah I think that's downplaying it a bit.

When I see "knucklehead" I think of someone who constantly leaves their lights on when they park their car only to come back to a drained battery (me: highschool).

This dude's just a complete mess. Gets in trouble for groping girls in high school, suspended for fighting teammates and now serious assault charges for PUSHING HIS GF DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS? This kid's a psycho - I feel bad for the Pacers. Though actually his contract could probably just be voided at this point.

Venomous88
08-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Disappointing to hear. I've been following this guy since our 9th grade year and to see how he has let his attitude hinder him. ****, he might not even make it to the season at this rate

IndyRealist
08-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Anyone have a link to the police report? I read somewhere else that he bashed her head into a wall before she was pushed down the stairs.

arkanian215
08-16-2010, 09:41 AM
If he had his head right he could definitely be a star. It doesn't seem like he is doing the right things off the court. Now I see the reason why 39 other players were picked before him, when in reality he was a lottery to mid first round pick. If he continues, it'll be a shame for him because he has so much talent. Hopefully as he gets older, he will become more mature.

I have to admit, I was really upset when the Knicks passed up on him to draft Andy Rautins and Landry Fields, but this makes me feel a lot better.

Well there's one good thing that came out of him pushing his girlfriend down the stairs.

Raoul Duke
08-16-2010, 09:42 AM
He had been considered a first-round talent but dropped to the second round due to off-the-court issues, including a 2008 bust for sexually abusing a 17-year-old girl inside of Lincoln High School.

Awesome. Good to see Bird is still focused on high character guys.

IndyRealist
08-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Awesome. Good to see Bird is still focused on high character guys.

Most reports I've seen had Stephenson groping a girl at a bus stop, not inside the school. This article seems factually incorrect.

Anyone think Stephenson's going to get cut?

Raoul Duke
08-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Most reports I've seen had Stephenson groping a girl at a bus stop, not inside the school. This article seems factually incorrect.

Anyone think Stephenson's going to get cut?

Not surprising. Like all news about athletes, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

I don't think he'll get cut. I don't think this endears him to the organization, but c'mon... it takes an awful lot for an NBA team to cut a rookie player with talent.

IndyRealist
08-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Not surprising. Like all news about athletes, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

I don't think he'll get cut. I don't think this endears him to the organization, but c'mon... it takes an awful lot for an NBA team to cut a rookie player with talent.

Yes but:

1) The Pacers spent the last 4 years getting rid of knuckleheads and "thugs" and cleaning up their post-brawl image.

2) The Pacers supposedly hired a private investigator and did a "thorough" background check on Stephenson. This is not going over well in Indy.

3) He is only garuanteed $1.5M (700k 1st year, 800k 2nd year). While that's not chump change the team is still looking to free up a roster spot to sign Magnum Rolle.

4) The Pacers have a glut of wings. Rush, Granger, Jones, Dunleavy, George, Posey, and Stephenson.

5) The Pacers have a glut of PG's. True the Pacers were looking at having him play PG, but with the inability to trade or buyout TJ Ford the team is carrying 4 PG's with Lance (Collison, Price, Ford).

Brooklyn Mets
08-16-2010, 09:59 AM
He had been considered a first-round talent but dropped to the second round due to off-the-court issues

he is the only one standing in his way of becoming a really talented NBA player.. this kids got a huge upside on the court but :facepalm: at his offcourt issues..

The Miami Cheat
08-16-2010, 10:02 AM
this kid is so talented he has so much ahead of him...but he's gotta control his offcourt issues :facepalm:

Highlight
08-16-2010, 10:16 AM
The kid has so much talent, but it looks like its all going to go to waste.

xxseven72ducexx
08-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Ok so Lance Stephenson pushed his loud mouth girlfriend down the stairs...do you honestly think that he's going to get cut because of this? The season hasn't even started, the PRE-SEASON hasn't even started, there's still a couple months before it does and I'm sure they'll put this kid in an anger management program and he'll come out of it telling us he's a changed man and that this will never happen again, end of story. Unless he does something like this again then I don't even see him being suspended for this, I still would rather have him than Rautins or Fields even if he is pushin *****es down the stairwell.

xbrackattackx
08-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Not true,She tripped it's always the woman's fault.

beasted86
08-16-2010, 11:46 AM
This guy is a known player with off-the-court issues.

I remember in a draft interview they asked why he wasn't returning for his 2nd year of college and this clown said 'Because I hated school and going to class' :facepalm:

PrettyBoyJ
08-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Ok so Lance Stephenson pushed his loud mouth girlfriend down the stairs...do you honestly think that he's going to get cut because of this? The season hasn't even started, the PRE-SEASON hasn't even started, there's still a couple months before it does and I'm sure they'll put this kid in an anger management program and he'll come out of it telling us he's a changed man and that this will never happen again, end of story. Unless he does something like this again then I don't even see him being suspended for this, I still would rather have him than Rautins or Fields even if he is pushin *****es down the stairwell.

its not the fact he pushed her down the stairs, its cuz he might face jail time (min 7 years) if convicted plus his other charges he's pending.. in total he might face up to 12 years.. which might not happen but thats really the concern

Gators123
08-16-2010, 11:51 AM

Yeah, not a big deal at all. :pity:

ntat
08-16-2010, 12:09 PM
What a piece of ****. Hope he saves some money, actually i dont, and he wont. Because he will be back in the ghetto in 2 years. What a little punk man.

ntat
08-16-2010, 12:14 PM

I bet ur a regular Casanova with ur women huh?:facepalm:

Klivlend
08-16-2010, 12:33 PM
What an effin idiot

Stay_Swim
08-16-2010, 12:44 PM
That a boy Lance. Beat the **** out of her! lol

Seriously...who saw this coming?

VicRoyJr
08-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Well if he didnt have an uphill battle before, this incident will shed even more negative light on him than he's had to deal with before, lets hope the lady is ok and Lance makes amends to her and gets help for himself, basketball shouldnt even be an option for him right now, he needs to take the time for himself and get straightened out, it's a shame when a talented kid with a bright throws it all away due not keeping his behavior in check.

Swashcuff
08-16-2010, 02:12 PM

do you know what franchise he plays for? They'd certainly do that.

bleedprple&gold
08-16-2010, 03:17 PM
I don't think they will cut a guy they signed to a 4-year contract (first 2 guaranteed) before he has even played one game. It would be a bad move financially....they will give him a chance to get his head on straight...

gbrl
08-16-2010, 04:17 PM
^ agree with this, another incident and he could be gone

The Raven
08-16-2010, 04:22 PM
bastard.

Gators123
08-16-2010, 04:30 PM
^ agree with this, another incident and he should be gone

Fixed

abe_froman
08-16-2010, 04:35 PM

seriously..wow dude:facepalm:

Kakaroach
08-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Its pathetic no doubt, but he won't get cut. They'll put him in some anger management. He just showed up in summer league and dominated, so I don't see him being cut.

stfN
08-16-2010, 04:51 PM
From 2009

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Lance-Stephenson-is-still-without-a-school-and-?urn=ncaab-172172

You might remember earlier this summer when John Wall, the No. 1 recruit in the country, was taking his sweet, sweet time deciding which school he would grace with his presence in 2008-09. Wall's process of elimination was a brutally long affair; Wall started with basically every school and gradually whittled them down, list by list, into his final four. He eventually chose Kentucky, but not before one of the longer, more interminable recruiting processes in recent memory.

Still, to his credit, Wall made his decision a month ago. Lance Stephenson, perhaps New York City's most decorated high school basketball player ever, has no such luck. The difference between Wall and Stephenson? It's not Stephenson eschewing interest in schools; it's the schools who keep losing interest in Stephenson.

This was bad enough on June 1, when Chris wrote about the topic, but it's now June 23, and Stephenson still doesn't have a school. Maryland rescinded its scholarship offer. St. John's, who would seem desperate for a New York-based savior, withdrew its interest. As of today, Florida International's Isiah Thomas has dropped the issue. The only coach still actively recruiting Stephenson appears to be Memphis's Josh Pastner, whose program may or may not be vacating a whole batch of wins -- if not worse -- this offseason.

Why is Stephenson still scholarship-less? The New York Daily News asks that question today, and the answers they come up with can be summed up as such:

1. Stephenson has a domineering father known for his loud antics at basketball games and clashes with Stephenson's high school coach. His father, Lance Sr., has also handled much of Stephenson's recruiting. Coaches are likely scared off by that relationship.

2. He might not be eligible. Stephenson will likely invite a whole mess of NCAA scrutiny once he signs on with a school for a variety of reasons, including an online TV show that was picked up by MTV2 (was he compensated?), a tour through the Under Armour factory with CEO and Maryland booster Kevin Plank, and the simple fact that he just might not make the grades.

3. Stephenson is currently charged with sexual assault for allegedly groping a 17-year-old; he's set to appear in court on June 29 with a teammate from Lincoln High School. If convicted, Stephenson could face 90 days in jail, which may or may not coincide with basketball season. Either way, "we recruit sexual offenders so long as they can be at practice on time!" isn't exactly the motto most coaches are going for.

4. His attitude. Chris's post had a quote from a USA Basketball coach about why Stephenson didn't make the under-18 team last year, and it was about team-related attitude. In the Daily News story, a Big East assistant says "With Lance, it's always me, me, me." Davidson's coach, Bob McKillop -- coincidentally the coach of the U-18 USA Basketball team that cut Stephenson -- is now on the record saying:

"Five percent of the game is played with the ball in your hands," McKillop told the News at the time. "The other 95% is played without the ball in your hands. Lance had to work on that."

Ouch.

One of these things, or maybe even two of them, would probably be fine. I mean, if coaches never took players with strong-willed parents, or players with some semblance of criminal behavior, or players with eligbility issues, or players that were convinced they needed to have the ball all the time, the NCAA would hardly exist. This is how it works. Elite basketball players occasionally come from bad backgrounds, or have behavioral issues, and that's never stopped coaches before.

But when you roll up all four of Stephenson's issues and put them in one volatile package -- and when you throw in the high-profile nature of his recruitment, and the fact that the NCAA seems certain to investigate Stephenson the minute he steps on a college campus -- you get a radioactive player. In fact, Stephenson might be the first player in the one-and-done era who was simultaneously this talented and this undesirable. He's enough to make college hoops coaches catch a conscience.

It's kind of a miracle, actually. Dr. Manhattan would be impressed.

zambo4president
08-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Oh man just when the Pacers thought they pulled one off:laugh2:

GOON MUSIC
08-16-2010, 07:45 PM

lmao

knickfan33
08-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Sorry guys, but I don't even know who he is. :facepalm: @ myself.

He's my age though. :laugh2:

he's a lincoln high school product.... like marbury.... thank god the knicks didnt take him

ManningToTyree
08-16-2010, 08:03 PM
class act

netsgiantsyanks
08-16-2010, 08:05 PM
epic fail. his girlfriend probably was a loud mouthed *****. i can kinda tell. but still, push her down the stairs??? ******. i would of just said "2 mil". she probably would of came to her senses.

DeyAce
08-16-2010, 08:07 PM
What an idiot

ILLN355
08-16-2010, 08:36 PM
gotta keep a ***** in line

avrpatsfan
08-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Dick.

Mr.ATLHawks
08-16-2010, 08:45 PM
LOL@all the people on here judging this man. You dont know the facts..this broad could have just told him she ****** another dude in front of his child. Who knows? If this had happened 25 years ago first question would have been asked would have been "What the ***** say? Thats the problem with America all you soft weak minded men quick to come to the defense of a women. Not every man is a criminal and some women deserve to get they *** beat...And people wonder why sports is boring...protect the quarterback, protect this, protect that, grow some nuts and learn how to use them....stop caking to the women they'll respect you for it..

netsgiantsyanks
08-16-2010, 08:45 PM
and to the guy that said his girl was pregnant, you read it wrong. she's the father of his child. meaning she already had his child.

Crackadalic
08-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Being from brooklyn its sad to see guys like lance telfair and marbury have so much talent but just doesnt have the maturity to make it in the nba hopfully lance gets it together

Mr.ATLHawks
08-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Being from brooklyn its sad to see guys like lance telfair and marbury have so much talent but just doesnt have the maturity to make it in the nba hopfully lance gets it together

I think its b/c they getting these ignorant girls pregnant and taking them along..instead of leaving they *** at home. Thats the problem, someone always trying to pull you back down when they see you trying to ascend...

Bulls_fan90
08-16-2010, 09:27 PM
*****es these days.....no respect.

SA5195
08-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Larry Bird weighs in...

The news of Lance Stephenson’s arrest is very disappointing to the Pacers franchise and to me personally. We have worked very hard to bring in players that are excellent representatives of our franchise, community and state both on and off the court. Our commitment to this goal is too strong to permit the actions of one individual to reverse all of the positive strides that have been made as a franchise over the last couple of years or to hurt the image of the rest of the players on our team. Everyone in the Pacers organization remains strongly committed to our players representing Indianapolis and the state of Indiana in a positive way and will not condone behavior that reflects poorly on this franchise and community.

"We are continuing to gather all of the facts regarding Lance’s arrest but regardless of the outcome of the investigation, Lance should not have put himself in the position he was in early Sunday morning. We have consistently emphasized to our players the importance of not putting themselves in situations where bad things can happen. Once all the facts are known we will deal appropriately with Lance so that he, the team and the entire Pacers community understands that this message cannot be ignored

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/23932236

Spurred1
08-17-2010, 03:33 AM
LOL@all the people on here judging this man. You dont know the facts..this broad could have just told him she ****** another dude in front of his child. Who knows? If this had happened 25 years ago first question would have been asked would have been "What the ***** say? Thats the problem with America all you soft weak minded men quick to come to the defense of a women. Not every man is a criminal and some women deserve to get they *** beat...And people wonder why sports is boring...protect the quarterback, protect this, protect that, grow some nuts and learn how to use them....stop caking to the women they'll respect you for it..

Some issues I have with your post:

1. Nothing justifies shoving another person down a flight of stairs. Doesn't matter what she said. He's fortunate she wasn't more seriously injured.
2. This incident and his groping of a 17 year old girl indicate he may not have much respect for women. Unless he gets some serious counseling, it will probably just get worse.
3. Simply because 25-30 years ago people viewed domestic violence as the man's prerogative to beat his wife doesn't mean they were right.
4. When does a woman deserve to get her a__ beaten?
5. I'm not sure what caking to the women is, but I am sure a woman is not going to respect someone who hits her.

abe_froman
08-17-2010, 03:54 AM
LOL@all the people on here judging this man. You dont know the facts..this broad could have just told him she ****** another dude in front of his child.
then you leave her,you dont push her down a flight of stairs.

If this had happened 25 years ago first question would have been asked would have been "What the ***** say?
and that makes it more right? hell 40 years ago it was illegal for me to marry my gf,does that mean that was a good idea?

grow some nuts and learn how to use them.
how beating someone who's smaller and weaker than you when you dont have to,having nuts???...sounds more like being a little ***** ***** to me :shrug:

Kashmir13579
08-17-2010, 04:14 AM
bad news bears

junion
08-17-2010, 04:39 AM

he's breaking himself down... one step at a time...

Tommyh1331
08-17-2010, 05:17 AM
winner winner chicken dinner, p.o.s of the year!!!!!

DWills
08-17-2010, 08:37 AM
guy should be thrown out of the league.....doesnt deserve the privileged life hes about to lead

piece of ****

DWills
08-17-2010, 08:39 AM
I think its b/c they getting these ignorant girls pregnant and taking them along..instead of leaving they *** at home. Thats the problem, someone always trying to pull you back down when they see you trying to ascend...

i hope ur jokin

otherwise sir, ur a moron

DWills
08-17-2010, 08:42 AM
epic fail. his girlfriend probably was a loud mouthed *****. i can kinda tell. but still, push her down the stairs??? ******. i would of just said "2 mil". she probably would of came to her senses.

obv someone who wouldnt hesitate to do the same......u should be proud of urself sir