PDA

View Full Version : What makes an all-time great NBA player (eg: Kobe)?

LakerMantra
08-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Age is always against you in the NBA (or any other sport for that matter) and every year you only get older but are expected to be the same stud! How do you stay on top to become an all-time great?

You know your body and try to stay in shape through the summer
You play through injury if possible (calculated risk)
You recruit other great players to stay great? (LOL, 3 guys just teamed up!)
You are willing to lose something to gain something (minutes? leadership?)
and above all
You "have" to adapt yourself to change and morph your game

Being a Laker fan obviously the classic example for me is Kobe who has done all of the above. He mentioned Fish's leadership so much this past season as being a BIG factor. He didn't have to do that but knows he needs him the most in the Locker room, someone to tell him Kob, you f'ed up to quote his own words during NBA finals interview.

KG has done that with 2 teams, the T-wolves where Madsen couldn't find enough praise for KG and obviously the team I hate the most being a Laker

MJ did it in his own way with the Bulls

KnicksorBust
08-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Don't blow your load on creating threads my man.

tredigs
08-15-2010, 06:12 PM
It looks like you described Kobe (in a very endearing light I'd have to add, I could argue some of those points but I'll spare the headache), not the blueprint to NBA greatness.

The bottom line is that there is no blueprint to greatness, and as soon as we think there is the next NBA legend will come along and pave a new path to it.

I would say there are a few things that HAVE to be achieved for a player to go down as an "all time great" (I'l define that as a top 50 player for the sake of argument):

The legends are generally a top 5 player in the league for at least 6+ seasons, and still elite for the entire decade. Dominance + longevity = greatness. Then there's always going to be the argument of guys like Reggie Miller, who are considered among the greats to many, but never cracked the top 5 overall players in any particular season. There's intangibles to greatness.

It has little to do with "drawing players in", etc. That has much more to do with your ownership, cap space and what city you live in than it does any singular player.